• Re: Can Coleman/white gas be used in an automobile?

From Christopher Hauck@21:1/5 to C.R. Krieger on Wed Jul 20 20:06:02 2022
    On Tuesday, November 12, 2002 at 2:19:01 PM UTC-5, C.R. Krieger wrote:
    "gudmundur" <hex...@blazenet.net> wrote in message news:ut0na8o...@corp.supernews.com...

How could you 'pour in' propane, which is a vapor at atmospheric pressure?
    Well, first, it's gotta be really *really* cold ...
    --
    C.R. Krieger
    "Don't argue with 'em, dear; they're beneath our dignity." - W.C. Fields
    true but I keep seeing people talking about LPG (mostly coleman propane bottles) instead of the ALSO COLEMAN "camp fuel" that comes in non-cylinder more like classic boxy metal acetone/paint thinner cans
    I wonder if people can still read anymore as this entire question is based on two versions of LIQUID fuels that remain liquid until heated or evaporated INTENTIONALLY
    so obviously the OP got many nonsense replies about a third type of fuel that does not match his/her question in any sense
    I am glad the smarter people or at least experienced have given helpful and fully valid answers to the OP
    summery: while white gas by itself is not ideal for running a modern highly integrated and optimized large ICE as it has no additives to aid in long-term durability it can be used in emergencies or with smarter cars that offer things like "flex fuel" as
    those cars will adapt to natural deviations in whatever combustible crap you pour into them
    it also tends to not matter much in "dumber" small engines with four-stroke designs as those tend to be balanced to match a class of fuels that white gas is part of and I guess are also much less prone to buildup damage as they are low-mass engines with
    a defined self correcting loop in operation by physical variations in burn temp and rotor speed
    as for the propane in cars thing yes ANY LPG variant (including methane/butane/propane) can be used in gasoline type engines as long as it is properly mixed using a gas-gas carburetor rather than the liquid-gas carburetor of standard gasoline though some
    mild complexity of replacing the liquid-only fuel injector system with a dual-state injector means older "dumb" engines do best with a simple carb. swap as they will tend to vary the idle and speed/temp parameters to maintain optimal burn rate and power
    level if only peaking at 50-80% of the original power if you ran on the designed liquid fuel
    I would be planning for a lot of "dual fuel" type small engines soon as gasoline is always gonna be harder to synthesize than LPG types and the supply is still only going down
    I might even get a "car" meant to take an internal "grill tank" in the cabin to run as my "range extender" in a primarily solar EV with only the range extender popping out the car to vent the CO from use
    since the sun is gonna outlast all of us and when it dies we will die as a species and otherwise there are simple processes that can go from grass waste all the way to propane using only mildly expensive equipment like a cryo-pump for separation of feed
    gases and a few other common things for dealing with gas-gas reactions like sealed compressors and drying catalysts and the main show of a corona discharge gas cracking reactor which is just an O2 free ozone generator that cracks some of the feed into
    the product and rejected hydrogen and that being all under 170psi(the peak for propane storage at room temp) is well within the layman to build and make some tiny cash selling to the grillmasters and campers around the usa

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Eddy Merceno@21:1/5 to Christopher Hauck on Sat Jul 23 12:49:26 2022
    Christopher Hauck wrote:
    On Tuesday, November 12, 2002 at 2:19:01 PM UTC-5, C.R. Krieger wrote:
    "gudmundur" <hex...@blazenet.net> wrote in message
    news:ut0na8o...@corp.supernews.com...

How could you 'pour in' propane, which is a vapor at atmospheric pressure? >> Well, first, it's gotta be really *really* cold ...
    --
    C.R. Krieger
    "Don't argue with 'em, dear; they're beneath our dignity." - W.C. Fields
    true but I keep seeing people talking about LPG (mostly coleman propane bottles) instead of the ALSO COLEMAN "camp fuel" that comes in non-cylinder more like classic boxy metal acetone/paint thinner cans
    I wonder if people can still read anymore as this entire question is based on two versions of LIQUID fuels that remain liquid until heated or evaporated INTENTIONALLY
    so obviously the OP got many nonsense replies about a third type of fuel that does not match his/her question in any sense
    I am glad the smarter people or at least experienced have given helpful and fully valid answers to the OP
    summery: while white gas by itself is not ideal for running a modern highly integrated and optimized large ICE as it has no additives to aid in long-term durability it can be used in emergencies or with smarter cars that offer things like "flex fuel"
    as those cars will adapt to natural deviations in whatever combustible crap you pour into them
    it also tends to not matter much in "dumber" small engines with four-stroke designs as those tend to be balanced to match a class of fuels that white gas is part of and I guess are also much less prone to buildup damage as they are low-mass engines
    with a defined self correcting loop in operation by physical variations in burn temp and rotor speed
    as for the propane in cars thing yes ANY LPG variant (including methane/butane/propane) can be used in gasoline type engines as long as it is properly mixed using a gas-gas carburetor rather than the liquid-gas carburetor of standard gasoline though
    some mild complexity of replacing the liquid-only fuel injector system with a dual-state injector means older "dumb" engines do best with a simple carb. swap as they will tend to vary the idle and speed/temp parameters to maintain optimal burn rate and
    power level if only peaking at 50-80% of the original power if you ran on the designed liquid fuel
    I would be planning for a lot of "dual fuel" type small engines soon as gasoline is always gonna be harder to synthesize than LPG types and the supply is still only going down
    I might even get a "car" meant to take an internal "grill tank" in the cabin to run as my "range extender" in a primarily solar EV with only the range extender popping out the car to vent the CO from use
    since the sun is gonna outlast all of us and when it dies we will die as a species and otherwise there are simple processes that can go from grass waste all the way to propane using only mildly expensive equipment like a cryo-pump for separation of
    feed gases and a few other common things for dealing with gas-gas reactions like sealed compressors and drying catalysts and the main show of a corona discharge gas cracking reactor which is just an O2 free ozone generator that cracks some of the feed
    into the product and rejected hydrogen and that being all under 170psi(the peak for propane storage at room temp) is well within the layman to build and make some tiny cash selling to the grillmasters and campers around the usa

Isn't Coleman (liquid fuel) mostly hexane? Right boiling point, but
    terrible octane rating. If you mixed it with ethanol, might work.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)