• Air Scoops on a Bus???

From david.w.rahfeldt@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 30 11:19:10 2018
    On Sunday, May 23, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Jerry & Melissa Jess wrote:
    OK---let me start something here---do those fiber-glass air scoops on an early bus really work?? by that i mean has anyone run any temperature
    tests that show there is More air coming in due to the scoops--yet even
    if there is---does it really Cool the motor??
    Phoenix weather, with 4 1/2 months of 100+ degrees--is the
    question--What is the answer?? Not concerned that they are ugly to
    some--Do They Work??

yes they do work

anytime you increase the pressure of the air coming into the fan ...or descrease the resistance to airflow coming into the fan ... the volume of air from the fan ... and efficiency of the fan ....at any given speed will increase ... descreasing temps
    and improving cooling.

cut out the area under the scoops totally ...to further descrease air resistance incoming to the system.

you should also remove the thermal control bellows and the air control flaps ...to further improve air flow for hot areas ...

and

add an external oil resevoir and external oil cooler and pump ...and filter ...turning your vw into an oil cooled vehicle as much as air cooled... do all that ... and you can run the sahara at 140f ... yes ...i have done it

good luck

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From otherone23@sdf.lonestar.org@21:1/5 to david.w.rahfeldt@gmail.com on Thu Feb 15 20:05:46 2018
    david.w.rahfeldt@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, May 23, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Jerry & Melissa Jess wrote:
    OK---let me start something here---do those fiber-glass air scoops on an
    early bus really work?? by that i mean has anyone run any temperature
    tests that show there is More air coming in due to the scoops--yet even
    if there is---does it really Cool the motor??
    Phoenix weather, with 4 1/2 months of 100+ degrees--is the
    question--What is the answer?? Not concerned that they are ugly to
    some--Do They Work??

yes they do work

anytime you increase the pressure of the air coming into the fan ...or descrease the resistance to airflow coming into the fan ... the volume of air from the fan ... and efficiency of the fan ....at any given speed will increase ... descreasing temps
    and improving cooling.

cut out the area under the scoops totally ...to further descrease air resistance incoming to the system.

you should also remove the thermal control bellows and the air control flaps ...to further improve air flow for hot areas ...

and

add an external oil resevoir and external oil cooler and pump ...and filter ...turning your vw into an oil cooled vehicle as much as air cooled... do all that ... and you can run the sahara at 140f ... yes ...i have done it

good luck

I would highly recommend against removing the bellows and flaps, the motor needs to come up to temperature quick, especially in cold weather. If it's just in hot climates,
    fine, for the rest of us, you need those bellows. Do not remove.

--
    otherone23@sdf.org
    SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)