• Which is better transmission -- C-4 or FMX?

From tonystopcat@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 11 01:58:13 2019
    How to tell which is an FMXfrom the C4

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From rimaman101@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 9 07:54:18 2019
    nope c4 are cookies ive got a worked 351 cleveland i did one good minute burnout and the tyres and gear box were toast i got an FMX installed instead the mechanic who installed it said i can garuntee this one,c4 i could kill in 30 min i said what'
    s the good thing about the transmission he said its very strong, im from new zealand quite lucky to have an FMX apparently

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xb500fordgod@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 20 14:55:18 2019
    Hey, im in New Zealand also, apparently the fmx is relatively rare over here. I had a fmx bolted up to a heavily worked 302c in my xb. Ran it for years before going to a manual box. The car was always driven as of it was competing in a targa stage and
    never had a issue with the fmx. From memory i think it pulled about 80 or 90kph in first stage, lit the rear tyres up when changing into 2nd and just kept pulling. I am actually considering putting it back in cause it was so nice. Have been offered $1500
    upwards to sell it but i wont let it go

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jamienichols79@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Jim LeMay on Sun Jan 12 23:42:58 2020
    On Thursday, April 9, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Jim LeMay wrote:
    My '69 Mustang originally had an FMX transmission in it, but found that it now has a C-4. Apparently from what I remember, a transmission shop did a switch on the transmission. Should I try to get an FMX back to replace it if it is better?

Thanks,
    .. Jim ..

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jamienichols79@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Jeff Cook on Sun Jan 12 23:42:33 2020
    On Thursday, April 9, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Jeff Cook wrote:
    Tough question, Jim.

Of course, if originality is important to you, go back to the FMX.
    If strength is really important, it's hard to beat a small-block C6.
    But these are kinda scarce.

In stock trim, an FMX is definitely a stronger box.
    It's basically a truck transmission.
    It's also heavier, with it's cast-iron main case.
    The biggest problem with an FMX is it's lack of aftermarket support.
    You can buy parts to beef up a C4 to make it capable of 9-second drag
    strip duty, but for the FMX there's little or nuthin available.

So, it boils down to what you're looking for.

Are you having problems with your C4?

Jim LeMay wrote:

My '69 Mustang originally had an FMX transmission in it, but found that it now has a C-4. Apparently from what I remember, a transmission shop did a switch on the transmission. Should I try to get an FMX back to replace it if
    it is better?

Thanks,
    .. Jim ..

If your looking for better overall use of street-ability look into https://www.cjponyparts.com/mustang-aod-conversion-kits/c/60190010/ and dump the FMX and the C4

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lance.goulet@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to Jim LeMay on Tue May 5 00:42:55 2020
    On Thursday, April 9, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Jim LeMay wrote:
    My '69 Mustang originally had an FMX transmission in it, but found that it now has a C-4. Apparently from what I remember, a transmission shop did a switch on the transmission. Should I try to get an FMX back to replace it if it is better?

Thanks,
    .. Jim ..

I'm not a huge fan of the C4. It was only a few months after doing an engine swap on my '67 cougar that my C4 transmission needed to be rebuilt. It isn't that strong in its original form. I am told you can get rebuilds done to make it stronger. My
    preference would be to go with a C6. It's stronger. Like some people havew replied, it's tough to get support for an FMX.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05