• Team orders costing a home win - Hill 1993 at Silverstone?

From Mr Gobrien@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 5 12:08:24 2021
    re will Perez (be instructed to) yield to Max if leading the race in Mexico this weekend.

for some reason Damon himself couldn't recall this race when asked on Sky Sports F1 whether he would yield in that situation.

what i recall in 1993 - Hill and Prost were at Williams with Hill as the Number 2 - and would have to yield to Prost when needed.

The issue of Silverstone later arose (by race number 7 or 8 etc) and beforehand Williams were either coy or said Hill would have to yield - I certainly remember they weren't forthright in saying he would be allowed to win if leading Prost.

In the race, indeed he was leading Prost and leading the race too, but his engine blew near the end (Prost then won) - so we never found out - I seem to remember that Hill being allowed to win even when leading with Prost behind wasn't a certainty though.

What do others recall about that situation both beforehand and during that race?

(Rubens Barrichello was not Austrian etc of course so that doesn't count - there are lots of examples of drivers yielding a winning position but Hill 1993 was the most recent credible scenario that occurred re yielding a home win I think)

Also - there were 2 British races in 1993 (European GP at Donnington was the other) - that was early on. I don't remember Hill being in a credible position to win once the race started though (Senna easily won) or what Williams said beforehand or whether
    Hill yielded to Prost who I think did beat him to 2nd place.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From D Munz@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 6 09:42:35 2021
    I'm hoping things work out for Perez to get pole in front of the home crowd and then Max to win. That would be a nice "give" without costing the title fight anything.

But I'm not sure Perez can pull it off.

FWIW
    DLM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)