• Helicopter Question

From D Munz@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 22 13:27:17 2021
    I was watching practice today and saw a shot up the first straight where one of the helicopters was taking video at the top of the hill. I know the F1 circus ships a massive amount of kit around the world but do they take their own aircraft?

It seems like the video crews for the helicopters would be very specialized for F1 so I suspect they travel with the show but does anyone know if they use local equipment? Or are the crews local too?

TIA
    DLM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to D Munz on Sat Oct 23 12:33:40 2021
    On 23/10/2021 9:27 am, D Munz wrote:
    I was watching practice today and saw a shot up the first straight where one of the helicopters was taking video at the top of the hill. I know the F1 circus ships a massive amount of kit around the world but do they take their own aircraft?

It seems like the video crews for the helicopters would be very specialized for F1 so I suspect they travel with the show but does anyone know if they use local equipment? Or are the crews local too?

TIA
    DLM

Yes, there is a documentary about it.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/video.behind-the-scenes-how-f1s-tv-helicopter-captures-the-action.6060943051001.html

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From D Munz@21:1/5 to geoff on Sat Oct 23 12:54:04 2021
    On Friday, October 22, 2021 at 6:33:47 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:

Yes, there is a documentary about it.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/video.behind-the-scenes-how-f1s-tv-helicopter-captures-the-action.6060943051001.html

Geoff

Thank you for that, very cool. From the video, it looks like the pilot, camera operator and all the video kit travel and they use local aircraft. They didn't explicitly say that but all the different helicopter paint jobs suggest they are different
    depending on the location.

It was also interesting that the pilot was wearing a Grand Canyon helicopter tour hat. Maybe he flew tourists into the canyon or maybe he just picked it up in a swag-swap with another pilot. (An F1 Heli cap would be pretty cool.)

FWIW
    DLM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05