• Driver salaries

From Brian Lawrence@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 23 05:34:52 2021
    According to racingnews365.com

I can't find the data on their website, but also reported by the Daily
    Express:

<https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1491106/f1-driver-salary-lewis-hamilton-full-list-evg>

HAM $30m
    VER $25m
    ALO $20m
    VET $15m
    RIC $15m
    LEC $12m
    BOT $10m
    SAI $10m
    STR $10m
    RAI $10m
    PER $8m
    NOR $5m
    OCO $5m
    GAS $5m

GIO, MSC, MAZ, LAT, RUS $1m
    TSU $500k

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Martin Harran@21:1/5 to Brian_W_Lawrence@msn.com on Thu Sep 23 08:32:25 2021
    On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 05:34:52 +0100, Brian Lawrence
    <Brian_W_Lawrence@msn.com> wrote:

According to racingnews365.com

I can't find the data on their website, but also reported by the Daily >Express:

<https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1491106/f1-driver-salary-lewis-hamilton-full-list-evg>

HAM $30m
    VER $25m
    ALO $20m
    VET $15m
    RIC $15m
    LEC $12m
    BOT $10m
    SAI $10m
    STR $10m
    RAI $10m
    PER $8m
    NOR $5m
    OCO $5m
    GAS $5m

GIO, MSC, MAZ, LAT, RUS $1m
    TSU $500k

Autoweek (based on data from Forbes) gives much higher figures for
    Hamilton ($62M) and Verstappen ($42M) https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a37102717/lewis-hamilton-max-verstappen-f1-highest-paid/

That list doesn't include Russell but I have seen him reported
    elsewhere at around £400-500K; I guess he is in for a truly massive
    pay rise next year!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From D Munz@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 23 06:02:01 2021
    This is the direct cash payment from the teams to the drivers, correct?

Are there any pay-to-drive guys left? If so, there must be some math around we pay you this but you bring that from sponsors.

What about sponsorships? Does the salary number include pass-through on team sponsorships? Or is all the sponsorship stuff segregated? By that I mean do the teams get the money from everything visible on a race weekend and the drivers have their own
    deals that are away from the track and car?

There was a funny story years ago about when Bill Ford was elected as chairman of the board for Ford Motors. He asked the board members if they knew who was the highest paid employee. The ones that answered said it must be the CEO. He said, nope it some
    racing car driver named Eddie Irvine. And thus ended Jaguar's time in F1...

FWIW
    DLM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ~misfit~@21:1/5 to D Munz on Fri Sep 24 22:20:39 2021
    On 24/09/2021 1:02 am, D Munz wrote:

I'll take a stab at this. I think the numbers quoted in the first post in this thread are what the
    teams pay the drivers.

Are there any pay-to-drive guys left? If so, there must be some math around we pay you this but you bring that from sponsors.

Yes there are a few. Schumacher, Mazespin, Perez, Russell - though Russell's 'money' (or PU
    discounts) that he bought came from Mercedes.

Usually the teams pay them a slice of what they bring in. I've heard mentioned that Perez brings
    around $10 million to any team so that means he's still paying $2M for his seat at RBR if the
    numbers are accurate.

What about sponsorships? Does the salary number include pass-through on team sponsorships? Or is all the sponsorship stuff segregated? By that I mean do the teams get the money from everything visible on a race weekend and the drivers have their own

All sponsorship money from placement on the cars goes to the teams. There are a very few exceptions
    such as Alonso's salary deal includes rear wing placement of his Kimoa (sp?) brand (or did, I
    haven't noticed in the last couple races). Also some teams will endorse causes that their drivers
    are passionate about but I think these deals are largely gratis - a non-monetary consideration.
    (Think the black 'silver' arrows...)

Some drivers will have off-track (or at least out-of-car) deals with sponsors that are direct to
    them. I think those numbers are likely included in the second post's figures for Hamilton and
    Verstappen. I think Dan Riccirado's pink 9FORTY gear that debuted at Zandvoort is either a shared
    deal between Dan and the team or a deal similar to Nando's Kimoa deal. <https://preview.redd.it/vrtazfpbt2l71.jpg?width=2048&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=128e6b0d0660bfcbb343d0e1474cd078b35d9722>

The above is all to the best of my knowledge and as far as I know etc.
    --
    Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long way when religious belief has a cozy little classification
    in the DSM"
    David Melville

This is not an email and hasn't been checked for viruses by any half-arsed self-promoting software.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From D Munz@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 24 05:32:36 2021
    On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 5:20:43 AM UTC-5, ~misfit~ wrote:
    I'll take a stab at this. I think the numbers quoted in the first post in this thread are what the
    teams pay the drivers.
    Yes there are a few. Schumacher, Mazespin, Perez, Russell - though Russell's 'money' (or PU

Usually the teams pay them a slice of what they bring in. I've heard mentioned that Perez brings
    around $10 million to any team so that means he's still paying $2M for his seat at RBR if the
    numbers are accurate.
    All sponsorship money from placement on the cars goes to the teams. There are a very few exceptions
    such as Alonso's salary deal includes rear wing placement of his Kimoa (sp?) brand (or did, I
    haven't noticed in the last couple races). Also some teams will endorse causes that their drivers
    are passionate about but I think these deals are largely gratis - a non-monetary consideration.

Some drivers will have off-track (or at least out-of-car) deals with sponsors that are direct to
    them. I think those numbers are likely included in the second post's figures for Hamilton and
    Verstappen. I think Dan Riccirado's pink 9FORTY gear that debuted at Zandvoort is either a shared
    deal between Dan and the team or a deal similar to Nando's Kimoa deal. <https://preview.redd.it/vrtazfpbt2l71.jpg?width=2048&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=128e6b0d0660bfcbb343d0e1474cd078b35d9722>

--
    Shaun.

Thank you. That's a good summary and about what I expected but it is nice to see from another point of view.

FWIW
    DLM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From build@21:1/5 to D Munz on Fri Sep 24 07:18:35 2021
    On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 10:32:37 PM UTC+10, D Munz wrote:
    On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 5:20:43 AM UTC-5, ~misfit~ wrote:
    teams pay the drivers.

numbers are accurate.
    What about sponsorships? Does the salary number include pass-through on team sponsorships? Or is all the sponsorship stuff segregated? By that I mean do the teams get the money from everything visible on a race weekend and the drivers have their
    own deals that are away from the track and car?

--
    Shaun.
    Thank you. That's a good summary and about what I expected but it is nice to see from another point of view.

FWIW
    DLM

As Gerhard Berger and Alan Jones have both said "Damn, I wish I earned half what they said I earned." (or similar).
    It's all total BS, they have absolutely no idea.
    If you look up Eddie Irvine, he did speak on the subject. BTW, Eddie is enormously wealthy, possibly the wealthiest of all the drivers.

build

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From XYXPDQ@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 24 10:58:26 2021
    Kind of makes a sham of the cost caps.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From News@21:1/5 to XYXPDQ on Fri Sep 24 14:19:46 2021
    On 9/24/2021 1:58 PM, XYXPDQ wrote:

Ya think? So imagine what damage Toto could do with a 3-driver, 3-car
    team, strategy, and the competition 'just one DNF away'...

"Mercedes F1 Principal Toto Wolff Campaigns for 30-Car Grids, 3-Car Teams"

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a37698976/mercedes-f1-campaigns-30-car-grids

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ~misfit~@21:1/5 to XYXPDQ on Sat Sep 25 12:11:03 2021
    On 25/09/2021 5:58 am, XYXPDQ wrote:

The salaries of the drivers and (I think) two other highest paid team members aren't included in
    the cost cap. The main reason the drivers aren't included is because pay drivers.

The teams have the power to reduce drivers salaries by agreeing with each other not to pay over a
    certain amount. Can you see that happening?
    --
    Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long way when religious belief has a cozy little classification
    in the DSM"
    David Melville

This is not an email and hasn't been checked for viruses by any half-arsed self-promoting software.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From texas gate@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 24 17:20:31 2021
    On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 6:11:06 PM UTC-6, ~misfit~ wrote:

Can you see that happening?

Not with sky f1 pirating assholes like you.
    Contributing zero dollars to the sport.
    Just lay there and fucking moan and bitch,
    race after race.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Harran@21:1/5 to shaun.at.pukekohe@gmail.com on Sat Sep 25 11:27:52 2021
    On Sat, 25 Sep 2021 12:11:03 +1200, ~misfit~
    <shaun.at.pukekohe@gmail.com> wrote:

The salaries of the drivers and (I think) two other highest paid team members aren't included in
    the cost cap. The main reason the drivers aren't included is because pay drivers.

The teams have the power to reduce drivers salaries by agreeing with each other not to pay over a

Driver salary costs also cannot be viewed in their absolute numbers
    alone. You have to look at the other side of the balance sheet - how
    much additional income does a team get from winning a WMC against
    coming second, third or even lower? How much additional sponsorship
    money does Hamilton generate (for the car, not the driver) compared to
    a less successful driver? How much value does he add to their
    marketing?

I'm pretty sure that Mercedes have some sharp financial experts who
    scrutinise these things and if Hamilton was costing more than the
    income he generates, they would not be so keen to hold onto him.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ~misfit~@21:1/5 to Martin Harran on Sat Sep 25 23:17:21 2021
    On 25/09/2021 10:27 pm, Martin Harran wrote:
    On Sat, 25 Sep 2021 12:11:03 +1200, ~misfit~
    <shaun.at.pukekohe@gmail.com> wrote:

Driver salary costs also cannot be viewed in their absolute numbers
    alone. You have to look at the other side of the balance sheet - how
    much additional income does a team get from winning a WMC against
    coming second, third or even lower? How much additional sponsorship
    money does Hamilton generate (for the car, not the driver) compared to
    a less successful driver? How much value does he add to their
    marketing?

Yeah, there's always two sides to a balance sheet (I have a diploma in business management!).
    There's a lot of intangibles (to me at least) that keep those financial experts very busy.

I'm pretty sure that Mercedes have some sharp financial experts who scrutinise these things and if Hamilton was costing more than the
    income he generates, they would not be so keen to hold onto him,
    Exactly.
    --
    Shaun.

in the DSM"
    David Melville

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05