• Michael Schumacher

From Matt Larkin@21:1/5 to Calum on Fri Sep 10 02:24:44 2021
    On Thursday, 9 September 2021 at 20:52:48 UTC+1, Calum wrote:
    On 08/09/2021 21:58, Geoff May wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/sep/08/michael-schumachers-wife-provides-update-on-former-f1-world-champion
    Sounds like essentially no change since he was brought out of his
    induced coma, then. Unsurprising, but sad to think of all of them living
    like that.

I don't think I'm any more curious than the average man in the street, and
    I can completely understand their privacy stance. OTOH I can't help but feel that a well managed media appointment to give a clear statement of MS's
    state of health would do a lot to park the issue for now and forever.

We don't have any right to have the insight, but it is human nature to be curious
    and I'm sure there must be a burden of maintaining the more or less
    secretive approach which could be relieved with a dignified press report.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From ~misfit~@21:1/5 to Matt Larkin on Fri Sep 10 23:54:06 2021
    On 10/09/2021 9:24 pm, Matt Larkin wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/sep/08/michael-schumachers-wife-provides-update-on-former-f1-world-champion
    like that.

I can completely understand their privacy stance. OTOH I can't help but feel that a well managed media appointment to give a clear statement of MS's

We don't have any right to have the insight, but it is human nature to be curious

Agreed. I can't help but wonder what new bit of info is there to be gleaned whenever I see
    something like this come up. I don't like being that curious (ghoulish even) about someone else's
    personal life so either tell us (in the way you describe) of STFU and fade from memory IMO.
    --
    Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long way when religious belief has a cozy little classification
    in the DSM"
    David Melville

This is not an email and hasn't been checked for viruses by any half-arsed self-promoting software.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan the Man@21:1/5 to matthew...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 10 06:00:38 2021
    On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 5:24:45 AM UTC-4, matthew...@gmail.com wrote:
    induced coma, then. Unsurprising, but sad to think of all of them living like that.
    I can completely understand their privacy stance. OTOH I can't help but feel that a well managed media appointment to give a clear statement of MS's state of health would do a lot to park the issue for now and forever.

and I'm sure there must be a burden of maintaining the more or less secretive approach which could be relieved with a dignified press report.
    Since MS was a pro athlete (and an exceptional one at that!), he would tend to fall under what the late Arthur Ashe called, "...the dubious umbrella of 'public figure'". Curiosity about his condition is inevitable. A simple, "Not much has really changed"
    from his management would take the burden off his wife to provide any updates. Of course, it's a different story if his wife actually WANTED to tell everyone what was up.

Dan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sir Tim@21:1/5 to Matt Larkin on Fri Sep 10 15:34:07 2021
    Matt Larkin <matthew.larkin@gmail.com> wrote:
    like that.

I can quite understand why the behaviour of some journalists after the
    accident would have appalled Corinna and made her determined to keep
    details of Michael’s condition private. However he owes his fame and
    fortune to the fans who paid to watch him (not all of whom are ghoulish)
    and I do believe that they should have been kept better informed about his progress.

--
    Sir Tim

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alan Baker@21:1/5 to Sir Tim on Fri Sep 10 09:19:11 2021
    On 2021-09-10 8:34 a.m., Sir Tim wrote:
    Matt Larkin <matthew.larkin@gmail.com> wrote:
    induced coma, then. Unsurprising, but sad to think of all of them living >>> like that.

I don't think I'm any more curious than the average man in the street, and >> I can completely understand their privacy stance. OTOH I can't help but feel
    that a well managed media appointment to give a clear statement of MS's

I can quite understand why the behaviour of some journalists after the accident would have appalled Corinna and made her determined to keep
    details of Michael’s condition private. However he owes his fame and fortune to the fans who paid to watch him (not all of whom are ghoulish)
    and I do believe that they should have been kept better informed about his progress.

He may "owe" his fame and fortune to the fans...

...but he doesn't owe them his personal life.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Halmyre@21:1/5 to Alan Baker on Mon Sep 13 00:01:38 2021
    On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 5:19:13 PM UTC+1, Alan Baker wrote:
    Matt Larkin <matthew...@gmail.com> wrote:
    induced coma, then. Unsurprising, but sad to think of all of them living >>> like that.

I can completely understand their privacy stance. OTOH I can't help but feel
    that a well managed media appointment to give a clear statement of MS's >> state of health would do a lot to park the issue for now and forever.

secretive approach which could be relieved with a dignified press report. >>
    I can quite understand why the behaviour of some journalists after the accident would have appalled Corinna and made her determined to keep details of Michael’s condition private. However he owes his fame and fortune to the fans who paid to watch him (not all of whom are ghoulish) and I do believe that they should have been kept better informed about his progress.

He doesn't even owe his fame and fortune to his fans. That came from his driving ability.

The only people who owe their fame and fortune to fans are reality TV stars.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matt Larkin@21:1/5 to Alan Baker on Mon Sep 13 03:56:20 2021
    On Friday, 10 September 2021 at 17:19:13 UTC+1, Alan Baker wrote:

I can completely understand their privacy stance. OTOH I can't help but feel
    that a well managed media appointment to give a clear statement of MS's >> state of health would do a lot to park the issue for now and forever.

secretive approach which could be relieved with a dignified press report. >>
    I can quite understand why the behaviour of some journalists after the accident would have appalled Corinna and made her determined to keep details of Michael’s condition private. However he owes his fame and fortune to the fans who paid to watch him (not all of whom are ghoulish) and I do believe that they should have been kept better informed about his progress.

Yes, agree with that. None of us have the right to info about him post-accident
    BUT it is a pretty natural curiosity which I think will only actually be lanced by
    some more info. Otherwise the family will have to continue to manage the tight control; and only they can judge whether that remains worth the effort to them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alan Baker@21:1/5 to Halmyre on Tue Sep 14 00:21:44 2021
    On 2021-09-13 12:01 a.m., Halmyre wrote:
    On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 5:19:13 PM UTC+1, Alan Baker wrote:
    induced coma, then. Unsurprising, but sad to think of all of them living >>>>> like that.

I don't think I'm any more curious than the average man in the street, and >>>> I can completely understand their privacy stance. OTOH I can't help but feel
    that a well managed media appointment to give a clear statement of MS's >>>> state of health would do a lot to park the issue for now and forever.

secretive approach which could be relieved with a dignified press report. >>>>
    I can quite understand why the behaviour of some journalists after the
    accident would have appalled Corinna and made her determined to keep
    details of Michael’s condition private. However he owes his fame and
    fortune to the fans who paid to watch him (not all of whom are ghoulish) >>> and I do believe that they should have been kept better informed about his >>> progress.

He doesn't even owe his fame and fortune to his fans. That came from his driving ability.

No.

His driving ability gets him the wins...

...but it's the fans who make it lucrative.

The only people who owe their fame and fortune to fans are reality TV stars.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05