• 1967 GTO and a 428: any built?

From bobbycatthebeach@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Richard Oleschuk on Sun Jul 31 15:17:50 2016
    On Wednesday, November 16, 1994 at 6:31:13 PM UTC-8, Richard Oleschuk wrote:
    In <3abbtu$ran@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> sorlin@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Steven J Orlin) writes:

In article <3ab8du$mff@juniper.almaden.ibm.com>,
    Patrick Gainer <gainer@slowmo.almaden.ibm.com> wrote:
    I know a guy who is selling a 67 GTO which is being advertized as >>'totally factory or optional'. This same GTO is advertized as
    having a 428 and automatic.

I was under the impression all 1967 GTOs came w/400 4bbls. Am I
    mistaken? Was there some factory option? Is this guy out to lunch?

A few issues back, Summit Racing's catalog featured a beautiful blue GTO
    in the '64-67 Era. I can't remember which year in specific.
    It had a 428, and the factory 428 emblems are right on the side to see.

*looks at watch* Umm, he's probably back from lunch now :)

If you are in the market for a GTO, I'd snatch it up!!

Steve

Every reference I have indicates that from 64-66 only the 389 was offered then in 67 the 400 was available. The 428 was only availble in the grand-prix in 1967.

Rick Oleschuk
    Phd. Student

Don't believe everything that you read, Steve. There definitely were a number of 1967 Pontiac GTO's that came from the dealer with 428 CI engines installed in them. Any one who was involved in the Detroit area street racing scene back in the 60's, new
    about Royal Pontiac, and their Royal Bobcat GTO's. They were the cars to beat, back in the day. Many of those cars came from the dealer with 428 CI engines installed in them. It was part of their "stage 3" performance package.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From bobbycatthebeach@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Patrick Gainer on Fri Jul 22 23:25:58 2016
    On Tuesday, November 15, 1994 at 1:15:42 PM UTC-8, Patrick Gainer wrote:
    I know a guy who is selling a 67 GTO which is being advertized as
    'totally factory or optional'. This same GTO is advertized as

Pat

I have a 1967 Pontiac GTO that did in fact come from the dealer with a 428 engine and a 4-speed. It was installed, and sold by Royal Pontiac. It has the stage 3 Royal Bobcat performance package on it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bobbycatthebeach@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Richard Oleschuk on Sun Jul 31 15:29:33 2016
    On Wednesday, November 16, 1994 at 6:31:13 PM UTC-8, Richard Oleschuk wrote:
    In <3abbtu$ran@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> sorlin@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Steven J Orlin) writes:

In article <3ab8du$mff@juniper.almaden.ibm.com>,
    Patrick Gainer <gainer@slowmo.almaden.ibm.com> wrote:
    I know a guy who is selling a 67 GTO which is being advertized as >>'totally factory or optional'. This same GTO is advertized as

A few issues back, Summit Racing's catalog featured a beautiful blue GTO
    in the '64-67 Era. I can't remember which year in specific.
    It had a 428, and the factory 428 emblems are right on the side to see.

*looks at watch* Umm, he's probably back from lunch now :)

If you are in the market for a GTO, I'd snatch it up!!

Steve

Every reference I have indicates that from 64-66 only the 389 was offered then in 67 the 400 was available. The 428 was only availble in the grand-prix in 1967. I'm look'n at my watch and he is still way out to lunch

Rick Oleschuk
    Phd. Student

Don't believe everything that you read, Rick. There were a number of 1967 Pontiac GTO's, that did in fact come from the dealer with 428 engines installed in them. Any one who was involved in the street racing scene in the Detroit area back in the 60's,
    knows about Royal Pontiac, and their Royal Bobcat GTO's. They were the cars to beat, back in the day. Many of those cars had 428 engines in them. It was part of their "stage 3" performance package.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From faslane@aim.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 26 14:36:56 2019
    67 Goats only came with 400 cid 4bbl and 2bbl

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From faslane@aim.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 26 14:37:46 2019
    GTOs never came with 428

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From faslane@aim.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 26 14:39:47 2019
    428 not a GTO factory option. It was used in big Pontiacs

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From holstash@comcast.net@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 25 09:45:07 2019
    Yes and no. As far as I know no however, in addition to the “special editions” made for the press and the like noted elsewhere in this topic, there was also on occasion certain “employee” cars that were built at GM Baltimore that said one thing
    on paper and had something quite different in it’s physical form. I personally knew of at least 2 of these in existence in Maryland over the years. 1 was a 1969 Impala the other was a Chevelle though I do not remember the year. I do not know what has
    become of them. Both were stripped to the bones on paper though were heavily optioned with all of the goodies tucked away behind plain Jane door pads or made incognito as they were being built. Though the order had to be placed at the dealership, the
    order number and vin of the vehicle was made available as the vehicle went into production with some creative replacement of build sheets from formerly manufactured vehicles inserted at different areas of assembly. Anything questioned was “fixed” (
    hot-punched/ignored) elsewhere in process. As a Baltimore native and a 3rd generation employee in that same building, I got to drink a lot of beer and hear a lot of talk from the people who built those cars, too many eyewitnesses and participants to be a
    rumor. That being said, this not only potentially applies to the GTO, but to ANY vehicle that was manufactured at that assembly plant. Baltimore built Olds, Chevrolet, Buick, and Pontiac all on the same assembly line and had a truck line in operation in
    the same building to boot. I’ll let your imaginations run from here.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05