• Thoughts on the "SQL" auto audio world?

From obbzerver@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 3 01:15:15 2022
    If you're familiar with "Sound Quality Loud" auto audio culture, do you consider it high quality audio?

Asking another way, do you think it's possible to have high quality audio in a car on the order of what many call "audiophile" audio?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to obbzerver@yahoo.com on Fri Jun 3 22:46:22 2022
    obbzerver <obbzerver@yahoo.com> wrote:
    If you're familiar with "Sound Quality Loud" auto audio culture, do you consider it high quality audio?

If good high end audio is like a meal at the Tour D'Argent, auto sound culture is like a hot dog eating contest.

Asking another way, do you think it's possible to have high quality audio in a car on the order of what many call "audiophile" audio?

You're in a sealed box with reflections from windows all over the place. The noise floor is very high especially in the lower octaves. The primary listener is sitting way off-axis. This is about the worst possible environment for
    good audio. Even if you wanted good audio, which most of those people don't. --scott
    --
    "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to obbzerver on Sat Jun 4 13:27:32 2022
    On 3/06/2022 8:15 pm, obbzerver wrote:

Not even slightly.

Not even slightly.

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From obbzerver@21:1/5 to Scott Dorsey on Fri Jun 3 22:47:21 2022
    On Friday, June 3, 2022 at 6:46:27 PM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
    obbzerver <obbz...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    If good high end audio is like a meal at the Tour D'Argent, auto sound culture
    is like a hot dog eating contest.
    You're in a sealed box with reflections from windows all over the place. The noise floor is very high especially in the lower octaves. The primary listener
    is sitting way off-axis. This is about the worst possible environment for good audio. Even if you wanted good audio, which most of those people don't. --scott
    --
    "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

I've been arguing with someone elsewhere about this - what you've brought up are some of the same things I mentioned. The listener's left or right ear is inches away from a window which is both a reflective surface and a source of noise, you can't
    possibly have a sound field distributed correctly to both ears, the speakers aren't going to be in the optimal position to the listener - they're where you have a place to put them. He insists that competitions are held in parking lots, not driving down
    the road - as if that's how most people listen to car audio? - and that all the issues can be mitigated with EQ tuning to make it on par with a correctly designed and treated listening environment in a home - he shows a picture of measuring gear and a
    software readout. It sounds like BS to me but thought I'd bounce it off those who do audio professionally to see if maybe there's something I'm unaware of.

From what I find the kind of system he's referring to is all about exaggerating certain frequencies.

In the course of our back and forth it was revealed that 45db is where he perceives silence. From what I gather 45db is roughly the volume of a running refrigerator when you're in close proximity to it. Obviously he's experiencing hearing loss.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to obbzerver on Sat Jun 4 02:33:36 2022
    obbzerver wrote:
    ==============

In the course of our back and forth it was revealed that 45db is where he perceives silence.
    From what I gather 45db is roughly the volume of a running refrigerator when you're in close
    proximity to it. Obviously he's experiencing hearing loss.

** Bout the same " threshold shift" as a long time construction worker, metal worker or industrial welder
    Bet he speaks very loudly....

..... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05