• Re: Sony TC-252 reel to reel slowing down?

From Anders Nielsen@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 27 13:03:02 2022
    Hi
    I’m from the future! Thank you so much for all the advice. My TC-252w can now celebrate 50 years anniversary in style :)
    The pinch roller arm was greased 100% stuck, needed lube everywhere else and needed some adjustment but now it’s almost there.. still running slower when it’s warm but that might be the take up idler that’s too tight on the motor shaft.. if not the
    motors’ about to die,

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to forstuvning@gmail.com on Sun Mar 27 20:22:12 2022
    Anders Nielsen <forstuvning@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi=20
    I=E2=80=99m from the future! Thank you so much for all the advice. My TC-2= >52w can now celebrate 50 years anniversary in style :)
    The pinch roller arm was greased 100% stuck, needed lube everywhere else an= >d needed some adjustment but now it=E2=80=99s almost there.. still running = >slower when it=E2=80=99s warm but that might be the take up idler that=E2= >=80=99s too tight on the motor shaft.. if not the motors=E2=80=99 about to = >die,

Replace the pinch roller and if there is an internal idler, replace that too. Those are wear items that just need to be done every five or ten years.
    --scott

--
    "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chuck@21:1/5 to Scott Dorsey on Mon Mar 28 11:38:21 2022
    On 27 Mar 2022 20:22:12 -0000, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Hi=20
    I=E2=80=99m from the future! Thank you so much for all the advice. My TC-2= >>52w can now celebrate 50 years anniversary in style :)
    The pinch roller arm was greased 100% stuck, needed lube everywhere else an= >>d needed some adjustment but now it=E2=80=99s almost there.. still running = >>slower when it=E2=80=99s warm but that might be the take up idler that=E2= >>=80=99s too tight on the motor shaft.. if not the motors=E2=80=99 about to = >>die,

Replace the pinch roller and if there is an internal idler, replace that too. >Those are wear items that just need to be done every five or ten years. >--scott
    Scott,
    Where are these parts available? Thanks. Chuck

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to chuck23@dejanews.net on Mon Mar 28 18:45:56 2022
    Chuck <chuck23@dejanews.net> wrote:
    On 27 Mar 2022 20:22:12 -0000, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Hi=20
    I=E2=80=99m from the future! Thank you so much for all the advice. My TC-2= >>>52w can now celebrate 50 years anniversary in style :)
    The pinch roller arm was greased 100% stuck, needed lube everywhere else an= >>>d needed some adjustment but now it=E2=80=99s almost there.. still running = >>>slower when it=E2=80=99s warm but that might be the take up idler that=E2= >>>=80=99s too tight on the motor shaft.. if not the motors=E2=80=99 about to = >>>die,

Replace the pinch roller and if there is an internal idler, replace that too. >>Those are wear items that just need to be done every five or ten years.

Scott,
    Where are these parts available? Thanks. Chuck

Terry's Rubber Rollers should be willing to rebuild the existing ones if
    you don't have a source for spares. Russell Industries may have spares
    for belts and internal idlers on the shelf.
    --scott

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Hecht@21:1/5 to Scott Dorsey on Sun Jun 5 14:26:06 2022
    On Monday, March 28, 2022 at 2:45:59 PM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
    Terry's Rubber Rollers should be willing to rebuild the existing ones if
    you don't have a source for spares. Russell Industries may have spares
    for belts and internal idlers on the shelf.

I have a circa 1968 Sony 250A that I have been using to convert my original tapes to digital format. After long disuse, it started very slowly, but I was able to get it running again long enough to record digitize 10-20 tapes before it slowed down again
    with what seems to be the same problem here. The 250A seems quite similar to the 252, as described by paulc. I have a couple of questions.
    I found a site offering replacement belts for Sony recorders https://www.vintage-electronics.net/sonyreeltoreelspeedproblems.aspx Has anybody used them and are they any good?
    I have tried http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/ but the site appears to be down.
    I also want to add a bit on using other recorders to play old tapes. I picked up a TEAC 1230 10 or 20 years ago which works reasonably well but does not pick up the right channel well -- or sometimes at all -- on some tapes I recorded on the Sony, which
    the Sony can pick up. Could that be a problem with head alignment?
    Thanks, Jeff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to hechtnews@gmail.com on Mon Jun 6 14:42:09 2022
    Jeff Hecht <hechtnews@gmail.com> wrote:

I have a circa 1968 Sony 250A that I have been using to convert my original=
    tapes to digital format. After long disuse, it started very slowly, but I =
    was able to get it running again long enough to record digitize 10-20 tapes=
    before it slowed down again with what seems to be the same problem here. T=
    he 250A seems quite similar to the 252, as described by paulc. I have a cou= >ple of questions.

Okay, so you have a machine that has maybe fifty years of deferred maintenance. When was the last time it got a clean and lube? Forty years ago maybe?

You need to go through the complete lubrication procedure in the manual,
    and it's going to be harder than it would normally be because there is
    crusty varnished-up stuff all over everything. Everything comes apart,
    gets oiled or greased, goes back together. All rubber parts get replaced,
    and all of the connectors needs to be cleaned with DeOxit or Cramolin.
    Then you do the alignment and see what else is wrong. Which will almost certainly involve capacitor replacement.

I found a site offering replacement belts for Sony recorders https://www.vi= >ntage-electronics.net/sonyreeltoreelspeedproblems.aspx Has anybody used th= >em and are they any good?=20

I haven't. I have always used Russell Industries (Projector-Recorder Belt) which are good people and have been in business for a long long time.

I have tried http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/ but the site appears to b= =>e down.=20

He's old. Call him on the phone. There are a bunch of other places that
    will do rubber rebuilding and there are several listed on the Ampex Mailing List guide to parts suppliers which can be found online somewhere.

I also want to add a bit on using other recorders to play old tapes. I pick= >ed up a TEAC 1230 10 or 20 years ago which works reasonably well but does n= >ot pick up the right channel well -- or sometimes at all -- on some tapes I=
    recorded on the Sony, which the Sony can pick up. Could that be a problem =
    with head alignment?=20

Sure, it could be a head alignment issue. But it might also be that you are trying to play back half-track tapes on a quarter-track machine. Almost certainly it has bad electrolytics throughout the electronics and all of the contacts are dirty. When you put the alignment tape on the thing it will likely become clear what is going on. There is fifty years worth of maintenance on this machine that hasn't been done and now you need to do it
    all at once.

Budget maybe ten hours for a tech who knows what he is doing to tear one of these things down and get it meet original specs. But please be aware that original specs aren't really all that good... it really is not worth the time to work on single-motor consumer machines.
    --scott
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Hecht@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 7 17:10:47 2022
    Thanks for the detailed comments.
    Okay, so you have a machine that has maybe fifty years of deferred maintenance.
    When was the last time it got a clean and lube? Forty years ago maybe?
    Actually, probably about 10 years on the Sony, but I get your point. When I got started
    on this project I was more worried about the tapes than the reel-to-reall,
    but turns out the old machines are more in need of attention. What "manual" do you mean? I have the original owner's manual which includes routine lubrication and cleaning instructions, but not much detail about other things. Are there detailed
    repair manuals and where would I find them?

You need to go through the complete lubrication procedure in the manual,
    and it's going to be harder than it would normally be because there is
    crusty varnished-up stuff all over everything. Everything comes apart,
    gets oiled or greased, goes back together. All rubber parts get replaced,
    and all of the connectors needs to be cleaned with DeOxit or Cramolin.
    Then you do the alignment and see what else is wrong. Which will almost certainly involve capacitor replacement.

I have not tried aligning the tape heads, but about 25 years ago I had a local repair place, now long gone, do an overhaul. What kind of equipment does it require and where can I find alignment tapes?

I also want to add a bit on using other recorders to play old tapes. I pick= >ed up a TEAC 1230 10 or 20 years ago which works reasonably well but does n= >ot pick up the right channel well -- or sometimes at all -- on some tapes I=
    with head alignment?=20

Sure, it could be a head alignment issue. But it might also be that you are trying to play back half-track tapes on a quarter-track machine. Almost certainly it has bad electrolytics throughout the electronics and all of the contacts are dirty. When you put the alignment tape on the thing it will likely become clear what is going on. There is fifty years worth of maintenance on this machine that hasn't been done and now you need to do it all at once.
    I don't think the TEAC had much care before I found it, but it did work. I cleaned
    and oiled it recently, but that's all. I doubt I have any half-track tapes kicking
    around; but some tapes play quite differently on the two machines,
    with the TEAC being weaker on the right channel. Others seem to play
    the same on both. If I can get both machines up and running, I may try
    to figure out what's going on. I recorded some on new tapes, some on used tapes, and bought some used tapes and saved the music on them.

Budget maybe ten hours for a tech who knows what he is doing to tear one of these things down and get it meet original specs. But please be aware that original specs aren't really all that good... it really is not worth the time to work on single-motor consumer machines.
    --scott
    --
    Good advice. Fortunately none of the music is irreplaceable original recordings.
    This is largely fiddling around with interesting old stuff.
    -- Jeff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ray brodeur@21:1/5 to Jeff Hecht on Sat Sep 17 10:46:31 2022
    Ok. Y friends,where the heck do I get rubber wheels and belts and whatever turns theserereels around anyway??
    On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 8:10:50 PM UTC-4, Jeff Hecht wrote:
    Actually, probably about 10 years on the Sony, but I get your point. When I got started
    on this project I was more worried about the tapes than the reel-to-reall, but turns out the old machines are more in need of attention. What "manual" do
    you mean? I have the original owner's manual which includes routine lubrication
    and cleaning instructions, but not much detail about other things. Are there detailed

You need to go through the complete lubrication procedure in the manual, and it's going to be harder than it would normally be because there is crusty varnished-up stuff all over everything. Everything comes apart,
    gets oiled or greased, goes back together. All rubber parts get replaced, and all of the connectors needs to be cleaned with DeOxit or Cramolin.

I have not tried aligning the tape heads, but about 25 years ago I had a local
    repair place, now long gone, do an overhaul. What kind of equipment does it require and where can I find alignment tapes?
    I also want to add a bit on using other recorders to play old tapes. I pick=
    ed up a TEAC 1230 10 or 20 years ago which works reasonably well but does n=
    ot pick up the right channel well -- or sometimes at all -- on some tapes I=
    with head alignment?=20

Sure, it could be a head alignment issue. But it might also be that you are trying to play back half-track tapes on a quarter-track machine. Almost certainly it has bad electrolytics throughout the electronics and all of the
    contacts are dirty. When you put the alignment tape on the thing it will likely become clear what is going on. There is fifty years worth of maintenance on this machine that hasn't been done and now you need to do it all at once.
    I don't think the TEAC had much care before I found it, but it did work. I cleaned
    and oiled it recently, but that's all. I doubt I have any half-track tapes kicking
    to figure out what's going on. I recorded some on new tapes, some on used tapes, and bought some used tapes and saved the music on them.

Budget maybe ten hours for a tech who knows what he is doing to tear one of these things down and get it meet original specs. But please be aware that original specs aren't really all that good... it really is not worth the time
    to work on single-motor consumer machines.
    --scott
    --
    Good advice. Fortunately none of the music is irreplaceable original recordings.
    -- Jeff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ray brodeur@21:1/5 to ray brodeur on Sat Sep 17 11:00:10 2022
    Isn’t there anyone who makes reel to reel affordable tape machines anymore?? On Saturday, September 17, 2022 at 1:46:34 PM UTC-4, ray brodeur wrote:
    Ok. Y friends,where the heck do I get rubber wheels and belts and whatever turns theserereels around anyway??
    On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 8:10:50 PM UTC-4, Jeff Hecht wrote:
    on this project I was more worried about the tapes than the reel-to-reall, but turns out the old machines are more in need of attention. What "manual" do
    you mean? I have the original owner's manual which includes routine lubrication
    and cleaning instructions, but not much detail about other things. Are there detailed

You need to go through the complete lubrication procedure in the manual, and it's going to be harder than it would normally be because there is crusty varnished-up stuff all over everything. Everything comes apart, gets oiled or greased, goes back together. All rubber parts get replaced,
    and all of the connectors needs to be cleaned with DeOxit or Cramolin. Then you do the alignment and see what else is wrong. Which will almost certainly involve capacitor replacement.

I have not tried aligning the tape heads, but about 25 years ago I had a local
    repair place, now long gone, do an overhaul. What kind of equipment does it
    require and where can I find alignment tapes?
    I also want to add a bit on using other recorders to play old tapes. I pick=
    ed up a TEAC 1230 10 or 20 years ago which works reasonably well but does n=
    ot pick up the right channel well -- or sometimes at all -- on some tapes I=
    with head alignment?=20

Sure, it could be a head alignment issue. But it might also be that you are
    trying to play back half-track tapes on a quarter-track machine. Almost certainly it has bad electrolytics throughout the electronics and all of the
    contacts are dirty. When you put the alignment tape on the thing it will likely become clear what is going on. There is fifty years worth of maintenance on this machine that hasn't been done and now you need to do it
    all at once.

Budget maybe ten hours for a tech who knows what he is doing to tear one of
    these things down and get it meet original specs. But please be aware that
    original specs aren't really all that good... it really is not worth the time
    to work on single-motor consumer machines.
    --scott
    --
    -- Jeff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to teleman1@verizon.net on Sat Sep 17 20:17:29 2022
    In article <304f7df8-7731-412b-9ffa-2a7a43093330n@googlegroups.com>,
    ray brodeur <teleman1@verizon.net> wrote:

Russell Industries.

You get things like pinch rollers rebuilt by places like Terry's Rubber Rollers.

The Ampex Mailing List website has a list of parts suppliers which include quite a few that will have parts for consumer recorders too.

I don't personally think it's worth the time and money to refurbish consumer machines, but it's your time and money and not mine.
    --scott

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to ray brodeur on Sun Sep 18 12:08:41 2022
    On 18/09/2022 6:00 am, ray brodeur wrote:
    Isn’t there anyone who makes reel to reel affordable tape machines anymore??

Why would they ?

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Richard Kuschel@21:1/5 to glenn...@gmail.com on Sun Sep 18 06:52:55 2022
    On Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 10:49:28 PM UTC-7, glenn...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi again gents, I got a Sony TC-252 reel to reel with speakers . Was listening to some of my old 1970's 4 track studio hits. As the tape went through a few songs it got slower and slower. I don't think it's sludge on the heads from the tape. It's
    Maxell and is just fine. My father in law gave me this machine and it did the same thing with one of his tapes. It might start 1/2 step flat then after about 8 songs it's 2 steps flat.
    Is this because of a loose belt? Thanks if you can help. Glenn.

New belts are available on Ebay.
    Service manuals are available and can be downloaded.
    The main problem that you are having is that the lubrication in the motor and other parts are gummed up and those need to be cleaned and relubricated.
    The mechanism is very simple.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc Gilbert@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 24 06:35:00 2022
    This Topic is steller! You certainly know how to keep a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start a new blog for our pharmacy (well, almost...HaHa!) Excellent job. I really enjoyed what you had describ, and more than
    that, how you presented it. It shows a great sense of professionalism and a lot of experience.
    https://erasolutionrbv.com/
    how to get treatment when you have monkeypox
    Our Pharmacy is the best safe zone to buy medicine in usa.

Text or WhatsApp : +1 (864) 697-3051

– Hi-Tech Promethazine With Codeine Cough Syrup.
    – Wockhardt promethazine with codeine cough syrup.
    - Quagen Promethazine with codeine cough syrup.
    – Phenergan with Promethazine Codeine.
    – Alpharma Prometh with Codeine Cough Syrup.
    – TUSSIONEX Pennkinetic cough syrup.
    – Painstop promethazine with codeine cough syrup
    – Guaifenesin with codeine cough syrup.
    – MGP Promethazine with codeine cough syrup.
    – Correx hydrochloride with codeine phosphate.
    – Hydrometh promethazine with codeine Cough Syrup.
    – Dhasedyl Cough Syrup.

Text or Whatsapp : +1 (864) 697-3051

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05