• BCM10 Mk2

From INFOHOU@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 20 10:00:07 2022
    Hey Folks,

Haven't been in this group in ages so I hope all is well with you folks. I see there is still noise here but not as much as before.

Anyway, I have a 16 channel BCM10/2 Mk2 on order, but AMS Neve doesn't have a user guide for it. I have been doing stuff in the box and have only had small mixers.

I need a course on routing and one on the console itself. So far I have not found anything. Anybody know of such?

BTW, I have seen numerous videos on the console, but I still have questions, like "How do I patch in an outboard processor?"

Please be safe,
    Robert

Robert A. Ober
    IT Consultant, Vidcaster, & Freelancer
    Licensed UAV(drone) Pilot
    www.infohou.com
    Houston, TX

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to infohou@notgonnatellya.com on Sun Feb 20 23:56:40 2022
    INFOHOU <infohou@notgonnatellya.com> wrote:

Anyway, I have a 16 channel BCM10/2 Mk2 on order, but AMS Neve doesn't have a >user guide for it. I have been doing stuff in the box and have only had small >mixers.

I need a course on routing and one on the console itself. So far I have not >found anything. Anybody know of such?

If it's a standard inline design, get a copy of Sherman Keene's "Practical Techniques for the Recording Engineer" which has a good discussion of basic signal flow and operations for inline consoles as well as a basic operating guide to the Neve 8108.

This book is basically a training guide to teach you to be an assistant engineer, which is a job position that probably doesn't even exist anymore. It's a very good guide to traditional studio operations and workflow in
    the analogue world.
    --scott

--
    "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From INFOHOU@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 20 19:48:32 2022
    On Feb 20, 2022 at 17:56:40 CST, "Scott Dorsey" <Scott Dorsey> wrote

If it's a standard inline design, get a copy of Sherman Keene's "Practical Techniques for the Recording Engineer" which has a good discussion of basic signal flow and operations for inline consoles as well as a basic operating guide to the Neve 8108.

This book is basically a training guide to teach you to be an assistant engineer, which is a job position that probably doesn't even exist anymore. It's a very good guide to traditional studio operations and workflow in
    the analogue world.
    --scott

Thanks, but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere except a pdf at a UK site that I am not sure is legitimate.

Anybody know of a source for it? Copy you want to sell?

Thanks,
    Robert
    PS: Scott, glad you are still here! You helped me years ago when I was wondering if I could record anything listenable.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to infohou@notgonnatellya.com on Mon Feb 21 15:55:46 2022
    On Feb 20, 2022 at 17:56:40 CST, "Scott Dorsey" <Scott Dorsey> wrote
    If it's a standard inline design, get a copy of Sherman Keene's "Practical >> Techniques for the Recording Engineer" which has a good discussion of basic >> signal flow and operations for inline consoles as well as a basic operating >> guide to the Neve 8108.

Thanks, but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere except a pdf at a UK site >that I am not sure is legitimate.

Alibris has six copies available starting around $60. Which is admittedly
    a lot more than the book cost when it was new, but that's how a lot of these things go.

PS: Scott, glad you are still here! You helped me years ago when I was >wondering if I could record anything listenable.

Thank you! I still pop in now and then but Usenet in general is mostly
    dead, sorry to say. A lot of the openness and freedom that made Usenet
    so popular wound up killing it when it became popular.
    --scott
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From INFOHOU@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 28 12:12:42 2022
    Hey again,

I spent too much and bought the hardcover at Alibris so thanks again to Scott.
    I was not aware of Alibris and thought anything with Ali was related to Alibaba.

There are some things on the BCM that are unusual to me. What about the reverb returns? What is special about them? Are they piped through a built in reverb?

Yes, I have a looked on the AMS Neve site. I have even traded emails with someone there expressing my displeasure at no manual.

The videos they have are not detailed enough and skip over the simple inputs and reverb returns.

Ridiculous. My little Soundcraft EPM6 has a really good manual with several examples.

But I digress.

If you folks know of someone that can train me remotely on this console I
    would appreciate you letting me know. Hopefully AMS Neve will be able to ship it within a few months.

Y'all stay safe,
    Robert

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to infohou@notgonnatellya.com on Mon Feb 28 19:57:33 2022

There are some things on the BCM that are unusual to me. What about the reverb >returns? What is special about them? Are they piped through a built in reverb?

No, they are piped through an external reverb unit that you supply. There is
    a summing buss that goes to a reverb send, and then you can bring signal back onto the 2-buss from the reverb return.

Here is the block diagram:

https://www.scribd.com/document/429383219/Neve-BCM10-Audio-Mixing-Desk-Schematic-Block-pdf

Yes, I have a looked on the AMS Neve site. I have even traded emails with >someone there expressing my displeasure at no manual.

The original BCM10 came with a pretty decent manual. Get a copy of it.
    Geoff Tanner will have it if you can't find it online. But really, everything you care about is on the block diagram.
    --scott

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05