• Tascam 238S warm up speed

From jeggy111@googlemail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 24 08:21:37 2021
    Hello there chaps,

I have a Tascam 238 S which is in somewhat regular use. When I first switch it on it makes a bit of noise, like a 2 stroke engine half a mile away. If I record or playback after I've just started it up, it runs quite a bit slower, maybe 10-15%. The pitch
    of this noise gradually goes up along with the tape speed over time. After about 10-20 minutes of it being on, the noise has gone completely and the speed is stable. I've read on forums that there is a surface mount capacitor on one of the motor PCBs
    that is the cause of this.

I can be handy with a soldering iron, but I'm generally happy with the way this machine runs. I can handle a bit of a warm up, and the tape transport is nice and torquey. Is it worth me opening it up and trying to address the problem? I'm concerned that
    I'm likely to cause more damage to it taking it all apart and desoldering a few caps than if I leave it be. Are there any known electrolytics in these known to leak and wreck it?

Many thanks,
    Gregs

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Don Pearce@21:1/5 to jeggy111@googlemail.com on Fri Sep 24 16:20:01 2021
    On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 08:21:37 -0700 (PDT), "jegg...@googlemail.com" <jeggy111@googlemail.com> wrote:

Hello there chaps,

I have a Tascam 238 S which is in somewhat regular use. When I first switch it on it makes a bit of noise, like a 2 stroke engine half a mile away. If I record or playback after I've just started it up, it runs quite a bit slower, maybe 10-15%. The
    pitch of this noise gradually goes up along with the tape speed over time. After about 10-20 minutes of it being on, the noise has gone completely and the speed is stable. I've read on forums that there is a surface mount capacitor on one of the motor
    PCBs that is the cause of this.

I can be handy with a soldering iron, but I'm generally happy with the way this machine runs. I can handle a bit of a warm up, and the tape transport is nice and torquey. Is it worth me opening it up and trying to address the problem? I'm concerned that
    I'm likely to cause more damage to it taking it all apart and desoldering a few caps than if I leave it be. Are there any known electrolytics in these known to leak and wreck it?

Many thanks,
    Gregs

Problems don't go away. They always get worse, so yes, bite the bullet
    and fix the problem. While you are in there clean or replace all the
    drive belts/pinchwheels. Use contact cleaner on switches.

d

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)