• Accurate Radio Sound

From Dustin Malpass@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 4 18:46:59 2021
    I'm working on a project with some friends of mine and we've ran into a dilemma. We need to accurately mimic authentic modern radio sound to where it would be hard to differentiate it from an actual station.
    Any advice to help get it 'just right' would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
    Dustin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Dustin Malpass on Sat Sep 4 19:20:31 2021
    Dustin Malpass wrote:

====================
    I'm working on a project with some friends of mine and we've ran into a dilemma.
    We need to accurately mimic authentic modern radio sound to where it would be hard
    to differentiate it from an actual station.

** FFS explain *properly* what you are really intending to do.

Saying "modern radio sound " has no meaning at all.

.... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dustin Malpass@21:1/5 to palli...@gmail.com on Sat Sep 4 20:00:05 2021
    On Saturday, September 4, 2021 at 7:20:33 PM UTC-7, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
    Dustin Malpass wrote:

====================
    I'm working on a project with some friends of mine and we've ran into a dilemma.
    We need to accurately mimic authentic modern radio sound to where it would be hard

.... Phil

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have a collection of music compiled into sort of a fake radio station and I'm trying to get it to sound more authentic to how an actual radio station would process it. Ideally with a compressor or other similar
    effects. As of now I've tried many different combinations, and none have really made it feel "right". I was hoping that someone with some experience in that area could drop a few ideas that would help really bring it together.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Dustin Malpass on Sun Sep 5 00:23:26 2021
    Dustin Malpass wrote:
    =================

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have a collection of music compiled into sort of a fake radio station
    and I'm trying to get it to sound more authentic to how an actual radio station would process it.

** Really ??

Some radio stations use very little processing on recordings, particularly FM ones with Jazz or classical music.
    Lots of pop music is already hard compressed so it cannot be done any more. Known as " hypercompression " .

I doubt you have a clue what you a talking about.
    Please prove me wrong.

..... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to Dustin Malpass on Sun Sep 5 21:02:16 2021
    On 5/09/2021 3:00 pm, Dustin Malpass wrote:
    Dustin Malpass wrote:

====================

.... Phil

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have a collection of music compiled into sort of a fake radio station and I'm trying to get it to sound more authentic to how an actual radio station would process it. Ideally with a compressor or other similar
    effects. As of now I've tried many different combinations, and none have really made it feel "right". I was hoping that someone with some experience in that area could drop a few ideas that would help really bring it together.

I guess you are wanting to emulate the tonal and dynamic effects of commonly-used devices such as the Optimod.

https://www.orban.com/optimodfm-8700i

Here is somebody's attempt.
    https://www.stereotool.com/

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dustin Malpass@21:1/5 to palli...@gmail.com on Sun Sep 5 02:11:44 2021
    On Sunday, September 5, 2021 at 3:23:29 AM UTC-4, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
    Dustin Malpass wrote:
    =================

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have a collection of music compiled into sort of a fake radio station
    and I'm trying to get it to sound more authentic to how an actual radio station would process it.
    ** Really ??

Some radio stations use very little processing on recordings, particularly FM ones with Jazz or classical music.
    Lots of pop music is already hard compressed so it cannot be done any more. Known as " hypercompression " .

Please prove me wrong.

..... Phil

If I was experienced with this, I wouldn't be asking for advice on how to do it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Dustin Malpuss Idiot on Sun Sep 5 03:01:56 2021
    Dustin Malpuss Idiot wrote:
    =====================

** Really ??

Please prove me wrong.

If I was experienced with this, I wouldn't be asking for advice on how to do it.

** OK - now I know *for certain* you are an utter fuckwit.

Like so many audio myths "radio sound" simply does NOT exist.
    I gave you two chances to make your meaning clear - but to no avail.

I guess you will likely next ask us hows to record the sound of " Thick Air".

FYI imbecile, it's a famous joke.

..... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dustin Malpass@21:1/5 to geoff on Sun Sep 5 02:29:49 2021
    On Sunday, September 5, 2021 at 5:02:27 AM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
    On 5/09/2021 3:00 pm, Dustin Malpass wrote:
    Dustin Malpass wrote:

====================

.... Phil

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have a collection of music compiled into sort of a fake radio station and I'm trying to get it to sound more authentic to how an actual radio station would process it. Ideally with a compressor or other
    similar effects. As of now I've tried many different combinations, and none have really made it feel "right". I was hoping that someone with some experience in that area could drop a few ideas that would help really bring it together.

I guess you are wanting to emulate the tonal and dynamic effects of commonly-used devices such as the Optimod.

https://www.orban.com/optimodfm-8700i

Here is somebody's attempt.
    https://www.stereotool.com/

geoff

Something of the sorts yes! A way to maintain consistency and make all of the songs punch out at you without having too much audible variety.
    For context, all of the tracks I have compiled into the station were made for it but still sound quite different because they were each produced by a different person.

I notice on the radio that songs that normally sound very different seem to blend together a lot better but I've yet to get a similar sound from experimenting with familiar effects

-Dustin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to dustedlikeyou@gmail.com on Sun Sep 5 12:24:25 2021
    Dustin Malpass <dustedlikeyou@gmail.com> wrote:

I notice on the radio that songs that normally sound very different seem to=
    blend together a lot better but I've yet to get a similar sound from exper=
    imenting with familiar effects

The Orban won't do that. That's the consequence of multiband compression. Split the signal up into third-octave bands, compress each one differently (maybe with the same time constants, maybe with different time constants depending on your program director), then adjust the relative levels of
    each of the bands until your spectral balance sounds right.

Now every song you put into the system comes out with the exact same
    spectral balance. It's kind of horrifying, really, when you think about it. --scott
    --
    "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don Pearce@21:1/5 to dustedlikeyou@gmail.com on Sun Sep 5 12:38:24 2021
    On Sun, 5 Sep 2021 02:11:44 -0700 (PDT), Dustin Malpass <dustedlikeyou@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday, September 5, 2021 at 3:23:29 AM UTC-4, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
    Dustin Malpass wrote:
    =================

Any advice to help get it 'just right' would be greatly appreciated! >> > > ** FFS explain *properly* what you are really intending to do.

** Really ??

Lots of pop music is already hard compressed so it cannot be done any more. >> Known as " hypercompression " .

Please prove me wrong.

..... Phil

You just need to understand how Phil works. If you know less than him
    you are a clueless idiot. If you know more you are an ASD bastard.
    Keep that in mind, and ignoring him becomes trivial.

d

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to dustedlikeyou@gmail.com on Sun Sep 5 12:21:14 2021
    Dustin Malpass <dustedlikeyou@gmail.com> wrote:
    I'm working on a project with some friends of mine and we've ran into a dilemma. We need to accurately mimic authentic modern radio sound to where it would be hard to differentiate it from an actual station.

Every radio station I have ever seen claims that they all sound different
    than everyone else on the dial and they have their own trademark sound.
    So which one is authentic?

If if were me, I'd use an RE-20 on the DJ, mix the music in without ducking, add a presence peak and a low-pass, then use a slow gainriding compressor followed by a sharp fast limiter. Don't forget the room either.
    --scott
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Scott Dorsey on Sun Sep 5 06:25:18 2021
    Scott Dorsey wrote:
    ======================

Every radio station I have ever seen claims that they all sound different

** But don't.

than everyone else on the dial and they have their own trademark sound.

** Nonsense.

If if were me, I'd use an RE-20 on the DJ,

** Oh - so now is the vocal mic ?

Not what the OP said.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Don Pearce aka "Clueless Idiot" on Sun Sep 5 06:31:53 2021
    Don Pearce aka "Clueless Idiot" wrote: --------------------------------------------------------

Lots of pop music is already hard compressed so it cannot be done any more.
    Known as " hypercompression " .

Please prove me wrong.

You just need to understand how Phil works.

** LOL - as if you have even the tiniest idea.

If you know less than him you are a clueless idiot.

** Nah, only if you post bullshit over and over.

If you know more ..

** Leaves you right out - pommy fuckhead.

Still haven't worked out why the apparent ringing frequency of an overshoot does not appear in the spectrum??
    Big mystery ?

....... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris K-Man@21:1/5 to Scott Dorsey on Sun Sep 5 07:14:57 2021
    On Sunday, September 5, 2021 at 8:24:30 AM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
    Dustin Malpass <dusted...@gmail.com> wrote:

The Orban won't do that. That's the consequence of multiband compression. Split the signal up into third-octave bands, compress each one differently (maybe with the same time constants, maybe with different time constants depending on your program director), then adjust the relative levels of

spectral balance. It's kind of horrifying, really, when you think about it. --scott
    --
    _______

And didn't that sort of radio 'Franken-processing' influence, in part,
    the way music has been produced/mastered since the late 1990s?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don Pearce@21:1/5 to pallison49@gmail.com on Sun Sep 5 14:23:44 2021
    On Sun, 5 Sep 2021 06:31:53 -0700 (PDT), "palli...@gmail.com" <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

Don Pearce aka "Clueless Idiot" wrote: >--------------------------------------------------------

Lots of pop music is already hard compressed so it cannot be done any more.
    Known as " hypercompression " .

Please prove me wrong.

You just need to understand how Phil works.

** LOL - as if you have even the tiniest idea.

If you know less than him you are a clueless idiot.

** Nah, only if you post bullshit over and over.

If you know more ..

Still haven't worked out why the apparent ringing frequency of an overshoot does not appear in the spectrum??
    Big mystery ?

....... Phil

See what I mean? Even when confronted by a measurement he is incapable
    of understanding what he sees. And even here he gets the issue wrong.

d

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dustin Malpass@21:1/5 to Scott Dorsey on Sun Sep 5 11:47:35 2021
    On Sunday, September 5, 2021 at 5:24:30 AM UTC-7, Scott Dorsey wrote:

--

That's a great idea, I've never done something like that for this specific scenario but my instincts are telling me to get right on it!

Now that you say that, yes it is... yes it is.

-Dustin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Don Pearce aka "Clueless Idiot" on Sun Sep 5 13:22:38 2021
    Don Pearce aka "Clueless Idiot" wrote:

========================================

Big mystery ?

....... Phil

See what I mean? Even when confronted by a measurement

** Wot measurement ?

Don totally IGNORED the real issue that I clearly stated above.

...... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Scott Dorsey on Sun Sep 5 13:46:33 2021
    Scott Dorsey wrote:
    ================

** Sounds a heck of a lot like hyper-compression.

spectral balance. It's kind of horrifying, really, when you think about it.

** Like putting a nice steak through a blender ....

STORY:

Once had a brief episode with a local Sydney FM station ( 2MMM) that played mostly popular music.
    A customer at the time who owned a modest recording studio made a 30 second ad to run on air - but they refused to play it.

He rang me in a panic, saying his studio recorder must be " out of phase" but he could not find why.
    So I visited the control room and did the obvious thing of switching playback of the 1/4 inch tape he had made to mono.
    It sounded fine even on headphones, nothing dropped out.
    I knew FM broadcasters were concerned that all signals must sound good in mono and this did.

So he phoned the station's advertising exec and put me on the phone.

"It's out of phase" was the only comment he had to tell me.
    "How do you know ?" I asked.
    " Our engineer said so".

Next I spoke with the engineer.
    Same story, "its out of phase".
    " How do you know ? " I asked again.
    We have a "phase meter" was the reply.
    "The difference signal is big - near the same as the sum "

OK, I now knew that nobody had actually listened to the tape.

Q. How come the phase meter gave that reading?

A. The studio owner had panned the bass guitar full left.

I advised a remix with the bass in the usual place.
    Panic over.

...... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to thekmanrocks@gmail.com on Sun Sep 5 21:08:06 2021
    Chris K-Man <thekmanrocks@gmail.com> wrote:

And didn't that sort of radio 'Franken-processing' influence, in part, >the way music has been produced/mastered since the late 1990s?

Not really, if anything it's the other way around. The whole point of the multiband processing is to make records that were all produced and mastered differently all sound the same. If they all sounded the same in the first place, there would be no need for it.

You'd think that would make producers do something more extreme to stand
    out, but it doesn't seem to.
    --scott
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to palli...@gmail.com on Sun Sep 5 21:06:22 2021
    palli...@gmail.com <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:
    Scott Dorsey wrote:

If if were me, I'd use an RE-20 on the DJ,

** Oh - so now is the vocal mic ?

Not what the OP said.

It certainly can't hurt. It won't make you sound like Gary Owens if you
    don't already sound like Gary Owens but it's a reasonable plan if you already do.
    --scott
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris K-Man@21:1/5 to Scott Dorsey on Sun Sep 5 14:31:04 2021
    On Sunday, September 5, 2021 at 5:08:10 PM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
    Chris K-Man <thekma...@gmail.com> wrote:

Not really, if anything it's the other way around. The whole point of the multiband processing is to make records that were all produced and mastered differently all sound the same. If they all sounded the same in the first place, there would be no need for it.

--scott
    --
    _______

There are plenty of YouTube clips concerning the birth of
    Newark NJ's WHT"Z-100" in 1983. In one of them, a legend is
    related that Laura Branigan(?) was facing a challenge in
    getting a certain sound for her third album, then in production
    during 1984. Driving to a studio outside of NY City one evening,
    she happened to come across Z-100 in her car, and was blown
    away by its sound!

When she arrived at the studio, she practially dragged her producer
    or engineer outside, got them in the car with her, and exclaimed, "THAT's the sound I'm looking for!" Whether or not Z-100's new
    big & bold sound actually influenced Branigan's new record, the
    album ultimately failed, big time, in meeting the bar set by her two previous releases.

But the rest, they say, is history. More and more stations, and
    not just Contempo-Hits stations, begain to emulate then owner Malrite's superliud, in-your-face sonic delivery, until, everything except NPR, Pacifica, and classical stations, all sounded like Z-100.

Which means, of course, that the albums DIDN'T sound like they did
    on radio, and by the 1990s, record engineers, operating in the
    digital domain, were able to start achieving the same on CD, and
    later on digital downloads.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dustin Malpass@21:1/5 to Scott Dorsey on Sun Sep 5 23:53:59 2021
    On Sunday, September 5, 2021 at 5:24:30 AM UTC-7, Scott Dorsey wrote:

--

I have come very close to achieving the sound I came here searching for with this method. I greatly appreciate your help!

-Dustin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From None@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 6 06:43:29 2021
    On Sun, 05 Sep 2021 14:31:04 -0700, Theckmah@shortbus.edu farted:
    Branigan's new record, the
    album ultimately failed, big time, in meeting the bar set by her
    two previous releases.

That was clearly Branigan's most successful album; her only platinum
    album. And she made it in LA, not NY. But of course, you saw something on youtube, which is better than Dorsey's experience in the industry, and
    makes you the second-smartest person in the room when you're alone. On the subject of mastering, maybe the fourth or fifth-smartest.

LOL. FCKWAFA.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris K-Man@21:1/5 to Scott Dorsey on Thu Sep 9 13:02:59 2021
    On Sunday, September 5, 2021 at 5:08:10 PM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
    Chris K-Man <thekma...@gmail.com> wrote:

--scott
    --
    _________

This is what happens when one fuckin gets old!

I apologize - I got the story right, but the artist wrong.

Here we go, straight from the horses mouth:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5oZ4giyXa-4&t=2795s

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to palli...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 10 00:58:26 2021
    palli...@gmail.com <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:
    Scott Dorsey wrote:
    ================

The Orban won't do that. That's the consequence of multiband compression.
    Split the signal up into third-octave bands, compress each one differently >> (maybe with the same time constants, maybe with different time constants
    depending on your program director), then adjust the relative levels of

It is sort of, but the main idea isn't just loudness, the idea is to get
    every song into the same basic spectral envelope for uniformity. The added loudness is a free bonus (and it's not very much, but you take what you can
    get in the radio world).
    --scott

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Scott Dorsey on Thu Sep 9 18:16:41 2021
    Scott Dorsey wrote:
    ================

It is sort of, but the main idea isn't just loudness, the idea is to get every song into the same basic spectral envelope for uniformity. The added loudness is a free bonus (and it's not very much, but you take what you can get in the radio world).

** Hmmm - so more like Musak then ?

Musical pink noise ........

...... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ty Ford@21:1/5 to Dustin Malpass on Fri Sep 10 07:26:54 2021
    On Saturday, September 4, 2021 at 9:47:02 PM UTC-4, Dustin Malpass wrote:

Sincerely,
    Dustin

OK, Carly Simon was entrained to appreciate the Z100 processing chain. Clearly, not every song sounds like that in its natural mastered state. What does a song sound like if it's pre-processed to sound like that already and then goes through the Z100
    processing? Is it not double processed?

I recall a conversation with a DC radio friend when I was at 98Rock in Baltimore. He said he'd been in a loudness war with other DC stations and after their last (hopefully) triumphant tweek, he switched to us and liked us better. What did we have in
    front of our optimod!!!???? I told him it was a piece of wire. IOW, nothing. You can chase your tail in that race and drive yourself crazy.

OTOH, we used to get calls at 98Rock from listeners who asked what LP we would be playing at midnight. When I asked one of them why they didn't just go and buy the LP, he said, "Because I like the way it sounds on the air better."

The End

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris K-Man@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 10 11:17:52 2021
    On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 10:26:56 AM UTC-4, Ty wrote:
    On Saturday, September 4, 2021 at 9:47:02 PM UTC-4, Dustin wrote:

Sincerely,
    Dustin

OK, Carly Simon was entrained to appreciate the Z100 processing chain. Clearly, not every song sounds like that in its natural mastered state. What does a song sound like if it's pre-processed to sound like that already and then goes through the Z100

I recall a conversation with a DC radio friend when I was at 98Rock in Baltimore. He said he'd been in a loudness war with other DC stations and after their last (hopefully) triumphant tweek, he switched to us and liked us better. What did we have in
    front of our optimod!!!???? I told him it was a piece of wire. IOW, nothing. You can chase your tail in that race and drive yourself crazy.

OTOH, we used to get calls at 98Rock from listeners who asked what LP we would be playing at midnight. When I asked one of them why they didn't just go and buy the LP, he said, "Because I like the way it sounds on the air better."

The End
    _______

There you go, Scott D!

So commercial radio, unwittingly perhaps, played an early, partial role
    in what would be referred to by around 2000 as the "loudness war".

And FMs in particular have a reason to do it - fundamentally to get their
    audible signal 'out of the grass' signal-to-noise ratio-wise.

Originally, that would just involve the RIAA phono curve equivalent of (HF only) pre-emphasis, and de-emph at the tuner end, plus, modest amounts of peak-limiting and dynamic compression, maybe up to
    a 1.5:1.0 ratio?

Now there's tons of EQ, layers of multi-band, and gosh knows how much limiting! AAnd of course at can all be done in one or two rack-mounts,
    such as an Optimod, or whatever brand is the modern equivalent.

Thes stations are all in a race to the bottom of hell trying to achieve that
    'ratings-worthy' sound! The ONLY sound that should matter is the sound of
    what they play!

For Carly Simon, or anyone, to set the bar for their album sound so low
    is beyond shameful, but of course now most albums since 2000 sound that way.

Yes, I do own a Justin Bieber CD, and one by Adele. And you know what?

There is less of a difference between how those two sound on the radio vs
    when I play their CDs, vs when I hear 'Thriller' or 'Dark Side Of The Moon'
    on the radio and then toss in the original issue CDs of those albums. Sad!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to Chris K-Man on Sat Sep 11 14:40:58 2021
    On 11/09/2021 6:17 am, Chris K-Man wrote:

Sincerely,
    Dustin

The End
    _______

There you go, Scott D!

No. hyper-compression and the 'loudness war' is some more than that.

No, to make an 'impact' on listeners, a uniform level so that constant adjustments are not required by the listener for different songs/albums/artists, and cater to higher-noise environments
    environments like in offices/shops/automobiles.

Originally, that would just involve the RIAA phono curve equivalent of (HF only) pre-emphasis, and de-emph at the tuner end, plus, modest amounts of peak-limiting and dynamic compression, maybe up to

Now there's tons of EQ, layers of multi-band, and gosh knows how much limiting! AAnd of course at can all be done in one or two rack-mounts,

Your favorite hyper-compression and loudness-wars happen before the
    music even gets to a radio station.

'ratings-worthy' sound! The ONLY sound that should matter is the sound of
    what they play!

That is their decision. Sadly.

is beyond shameful, but of course now most albums since 2000 sound that way.

There is less of a difference between how those two sound on the radio vs
    when I play their CDs, vs when I hear 'Thriller' or 'Dark Side Of The Moon'

Yes, there is less to compress on those newer albums, so the sound won't
    be so different. But Justin Bieber - surely you are kidding ?

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Williamson@21:1/5 to geoff on Sat Sep 11 07:44:55 2021
    On 11/09/2021 03:40, geoff wrote:

And FMs in particular have a reason to do it - fundamentally
    to get their

No, to make an 'impact' on listeners, a uniform level so that constant adjustments are not required by the listener for different songs/albums/artists, and cater to higher-noise environments

It also increases their usable service area noticeably, by improving the
    SNR round the edges, getting them more listeners on the fringes. More
    listeners means they can charge more for their adverts...

The Orban unit that most of them seem to use can also tailor the
    frequency response to give each station a "signature" sound, (It is a
    multi band compressor/ limiter) so that all the stuff they play has more
    or less the same frequency content, so that you *know* you are listening
    to that station.

--
    Tciao for Now!

John.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris K-Man@21:1/5 to John Williamson on Sat Sep 11 04:01:14 2021
    On Saturday, September 11, 2021 at 2:45:03 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
    On 11/09/2021 03:40, geoff wrote:

And FMs in particular have a reason to do it - fundamentally
    to get their

It also increases their usable service area noticeably, by improving the
    SNR round the edges, getting them more listeners on the fringes. More listeners means they can charge more for their adverts...

The Orban unit that most of them seem to use can also tailor the
    frequency response to give each station a "signature" sound, (It is a
    multi band compressor/ limiter) so that all the stuff they play has more
    or less the same frequency content, so that you *know* you are listening
    to that station.

--
    Tciao for Now!

John.
    _______
    If I were a station owner/operator, I'd make sure I had enough TX power
    in the first place, so any processing I had to do would be for just that - getting the signal up out of the grass.

Then, instead of additional futzing with the EQ, sparkle, whatever, I'd
    do what Shannon did - create a 'station sound' via PROGRAMMING - the content, the pacing, the personalities, etc. Although Z-100 did both.

But where I'd differ from the Z - I'd leave the recorded music, as much
    as possible, ALONE. I'm not the album artist - why would I ruin their
    original intent?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris K-Man@21:1/5 to geoff on Sat Sep 11 03:52:53 2021
    On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 10:41:09 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:

Sincerely,
    Dustin

OK, Carly Simon was entrained to appreciate the Z100 processing chain. Clearly, not every song sounds like that in its natural mastered state. What does a song sound like if it's pre-processed to sound like that already and then goes through the
    Z100 processing? Is it not double processed?

I recall a conversation with a DC radio friend when I was at 98Rock in Baltimore. He said he'd been in a loudness war with other DC stations and after their last (hopefully) triumphant tweek, he switched to us and liked us better. What did we have
    in front of our optimod!!!???? I told him it was a piece of wire. IOW, nothing. You can chase your tail in that race and drive yourself crazy.

The End
    _______

There you go, Scott D!

And FMs in particular have a reason to do it - fundamentally to get their audible signal 'out of the grass' signal-to-noise ratio-wise.

Originally, that would just involve the RIAA phono curve equivalent of
    (HF only) pre-emphasis, and de-emph at the tuner end, plus, modest
    amounts of peak-limiting and dynamic compression, maybe up to

Now there's tons of EQ, layers of multi-band, and gosh knows how
    much limiting! AAnd of course at can all be done in one or two rack-mounts,
    'ratings-worthy' sound! The ONLY sound that should matter is the sound of what they play!

is beyond shameful, but of course now most albums since 2000 sound
    that way.

There is less of a difference between how those two sound on the radio vs when I play their CDs, vs when I hear 'Thriller' or 'Dark Side Of The Moon'
    Yes, there is less to compress on those newer albums, so the sound won't

geoff

2. My "favorite" hypercompression - by saying that geoff you are implying
    that it doesn't exist, and that only one person is concerned with it. Stop
    doing that - it's juvenile and NewsMaxian.

3. Before it gets to a station. I know that. Then the station add its own
    'icing' to the cake when it's played.

4. Bieber, other modern poppers: I keep them as examples of how
    NOT to make a record! In the case of Adele and Bruno - their material is relatively good! It's how it's 'engineered' that myself - AND
    MANY OTHERS - take issue with.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris K-Man@21:1/5 to John Williamson on Sat Sep 11 04:45:22 2021
    On Saturday, September 11, 2021 at 7:37:08 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
    On 11/09/2021 12:01, Chris K-Man wrote:
    _______
    in the first place, so any processing I had to do would be for just
    that - getting the signal up out of the grass.

The ERP and antenna input power are limited by your licence terms, but
    even ignoring that, the more compressed the signal is, the further out
    your fringes are before the signal becomes unusable, so the more
    listeners you can get. For non-commercial stations such as the BBC, the bigger the area you can cover with a generally acceptable audio quality
    at a given power, the fewer transmitters you need, so the cheaper it is
    to run the service. Don't forget, most people do not listen in anywhere
    near ideal conditions, so a signal with a reduced dynamic range sounds
    better than a program where the levels often drop down below the
    background noise in your listening location.

With DAB, all that matters as far as sound quality in the service area
    goes is the bitrate and the error correction you use, and they save
    money by reducing the bitrate while making the error correction more
    robust, though as they also have an FM presence in most cases, they use
    the same equalised and compressed feed that goes into the FM transmitter
    to drive the DAB feed both the save money and give the listener the same experience no matter how they listen. The dynamically compressed feed
    makes a low bit rate signal easier to listen to as well.

Sound quality is a secondary issue for most commercial radio stations,
    as the accountants get to tell the engineering and production staff what
    to do.

If you were a station owner, you would do the same as everyone else, as
    it's the only way to earn enough to pay the bills.
    --
    Tciao for Now!

John.
    _____

Then explain why the NPRs, Jazz, and Classicals all sound
    relatively good, open? And they're still on the air.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Williamson@21:1/5 to Chris K-Man on Sat Sep 11 12:55:33 2021
    On 11/09/2021 12:45, Chris K-Man wrote:

Maybe their listeners phone in and complain, instead of hiding behind a
    fake name and a keyboard on usenet?

Our only nationally available commercial classical station in the UK has
    a definite "signature sound".

This link might work for you, or it may not.

https://www.globalplayer.com/live/classicfm/uk/

We don't have specialist jazz stations as far as I know, just the
    occasional programme on one of the mainstream ones.

--
    Tciao for Now!

John.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Williamson@21:1/5 to Chris K-Man on Sat Sep 11 12:37:00 2021
    On 11/09/2021 12:01, Chris K-Man wrote:
    _______
    in the first place, so any processing I had to do would be for just
    that - getting the signal up out of the grass.

listeners you can get. For non-commercial stations such as the BBC, the
    bigger the area you can cover with a generally acceptable audio quality
    at a given power, the fewer transmitters you need, so the cheaper it is
    to run the service. Don't forget, most people do not listen in anywhere

With DAB, all that matters as far as sound quality in the service area
    goes is the bitrate and the error correction you use, and they save
    money by reducing the bitrate while making the error correction more
    robust, though as they also have an FM presence in most cases, they use
    the same equalised and compressed feed that goes into the FM transmitter
    to drive the DAB feed both the save money and give the listener the same experience no matter how they listen. The dynamically compressed feed
    makes a low bit rate signal easier to listen to as well.

to do.

--
    Tciao for Now!

John.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris K-Man@21:1/5 to John Williamson on Sat Sep 11 06:28:51 2021
    On Saturday, September 11, 2021 at 7:55:39 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:

--
    Tciao for Now!

John.
    ______

Thanks - I can get that station now. It does advise that soon one will
    have to have a login acct. to listen. Stupid!

As for the sound, what is streamed may, or may not, go through the same
    processing chain as what leaves the transmitter tower.

So it's not an objective way for me, across the Pond, to judge.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Williamson@21:1/5 to Chris K-Man on Sat Sep 11 15:27:56 2021
    On 11/09/2021 14:28, Chris K-Man wrote:
    On Saturday, September 11, 2021 at 7:55:39 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:

--
    Tciao for Now!

John.
    ______

Thanks - I can get that station now. It does advise that soon one will
    have to have a login acct. to listen. Stupid!

New copyright and licencing laws in the UK. The excuse is that they need
    to be able to check the number of unique listeners to work out the
    royalties more accurately.
    As for the sound, what is streamed may, or may not, go through the same
    processing chain as what leaves the transmitter tower.

So it's not an objective way for me, across the Pond, to judge.

The bit I listened while checking the URL sounds the way it does on FM
    in the car, less the hiss...

--
    Tciao for Now!

John.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Williamson@21:1/5 to Ty Ford on Sat Sep 11 18:52:42 2021
    On 11/09/2021 18:20, Ty Ford wrote:

I think that AM benefits significantly more than FM. The amount of consistent modulation ends up as power to the sidebands and increases the overall coverage of the AM signal. Back in the day, AM engineers used to use asymmetrical modulation to
    increase coverage area. WEAM AM was something like 180 percent positive peaks. You couldn't exceed 100% on the negative peaks. This was OK with the FCC until maybe the 1970s. Then the FCC said no more than 125% on positive peaks. This measurably reduced
    the coverage area of many AM stations.

Plate modulated AM transmitters were also favored over other AM modulation schemes in an effort to boost coverage area. Not all AM transmitters were designed for plate modulation.

Seems it's older than I thought...

--
    Tciao for Now!

John.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ty Ford@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 11 10:20:32 2021
    And FMs in particular have a reason to do it - fundamentally to get their audible signal 'out of the grass' signal-to-noise ratio-wise.

I think that AM benefits significantly more than FM. The amount of consistent modulation ends up as power to the sidebands and increases the overall coverage of the AM signal. Back in the day, AM engineers used to use asymmetrical modulation to increase
    coverage area. WEAM AM was something like 180 percent positive peaks. You couldn't exceed 100% on the negative peaks. This was OK with the FCC until maybe the 1970s. Then the FCC said no more than 125% on positive peaks. This measurably reduced the
    coverage area of many AM stations.

Plate modulated AM transmitters were also favored over other AM modulation schemes in an effort to boost coverage area. Not all AM transmitters were designed for plate modulation.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don Pearce@21:1/5 to tyre3ef0rd@gmail.com on Sat Sep 11 19:06:06 2021
    On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 10:20:32 -0700 (PDT), Ty Ford
    <tyre3ef0rd@gmail.com> wrote:

I think that AM benefits significantly more than FM. The amount of consistent modulation ends up as power to the sidebands and increases the overall coverage of the AM signal. Back in the day, AM engineers used to use asymmetrical modulation to increase
    coverage area. WEAM AM was something like 180 percent positive peaks. You couldn't exceed 100% on the negative peaks. This was OK with the FCC until maybe the 1970s. Then the FCC said no more than 125% on positive peaks. This measurably reduced the
    coverage area of many AM stations.

I presume AM is still a valued thing the USA because of distances? It
    is all but dead in the UK.

d

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris K-Man@21:1/5 to John Williamson on Sat Sep 11 11:46:20 2021
    On Saturday, September 11, 2021 at 1:52:48 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
    On 11/09/2021 18:20, Ty Ford wrote:
    And FMs in particular have a reason to do it - fundamentally to get their >> audible signal 'out of the grass' signal-to-noise ratio-wise.

I think that AM benefits significantly more than FM. The amount of consistent modulation ends up as power to the sidebands and increases the overall coverage of the AM signal. Back in the day, AM engineers used to use asymmetrical modulation to
    increase coverage area. WEAM AM was something like 180 percent positive peaks. You couldn't exceed 100% on the negative peaks. This was OK with the FCC until maybe the 1970s. Then the FCC said no more than 125% on positive peaks. This measurably reduced
    the coverage area of many AM stations.

Seems it's older than I thought...
    --
    Tciao for Now!

John.
    ______

But mproving S/N ratio doesn't entirely have to involve changing
    a station's 'curve', or timbre.

Oncr I achieved a reasonably wide coverage for my transmitter, the next thing I'd do is make sure my chain didn't change the sound of
    an album beyond a slight loss of dynamic range(from the modest
    comp & limiting). I'd be out in the field, either in a car or with a modestly priced stereo, or CD boombox, on the phone with my engineers. I'd set all my tone controls to center detent, and attempt
    to match how the same exact CD sounds over broadcast as it did on my CD deck.

They'd play a song from a CD over the radio, and I'd play that same CD locally, switching back between that and the sound of my station, making sure we weren't getting too honky(midrangey), or too 'smiley- faced' with our overall tone, compared to what I was hearing from
    the same CD at my location. I'd probably even have the station gently
    scoop out a couple dB between 100-200Hz, which is where most portable and cheap automotive sound systems struggle with and sound the 'busiest', acoustically.

I would not be aiming for 'super-excited' sound, or deep-V 'boom & sizzle',
    no matter what that shit was doing for my competition's ratings!

Let me relate the legend of
    Major Rick Rescorla, who was lastly the head of security for Morgan Stanley in the World Trade Center. Before that, found himself and his squadron in Vietnam surrounded on all sides by 'Cong. So he yelled, "Good, now we can fire in any damned direction we want!"

Well that would be me, surrounded in a radio market of smiley-faced, jagged, or otherwise fucked up EQ'd stations, so I'm gonna go for the most neutral, UNfucked-up sound!! In other words, be DIFFERENT from what everyone else is doing!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Ty Ford on Sat Sep 11 15:06:15 2021
    Ty Ford wrote:
    ============

** Doubtful.

I think that AM benefits significantly more than FM.
    The amount of consistent modulation ends up as power to the sidebands and increases the overall coverage of the AM signal.

** Nope - the average power level of and AM or FM transmission does not change with modulation.
    The received s/n ratio depends on carrier power - but once the signal at the antenna is high enough s/n reaches a limit.

Heavy compression of the modulation benefits listeners in bad environments, vehicles, busy streets, workplaces and the like.
    Those at home with stereo FM tuners in a hi-fi system get to lump it.

.... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to John Williamson on Sat Sep 11 14:56:11 2021
    John Williamson wrote:
    ====================

listeners you can get.

** That is true for fixed location listeners, not ones in vehicles.

Don't forget, most people do not listen in anywhere

** Very true of mobile listeners.

They are very likely to pick the station that sounds loudest in their vehicle as they tune across the dial.

to do.

** Suspect the loudest voice comes from the advertising manager.

** Is there any non commercial FM in the US ?

In Australia, we have a national network of govt sponsored FM transmitters, dedicated the classical music.
    Other privately run broadcasters have individual transmitters with no advertising.
    Then there are community run low powered ones that cover a few miles radius.
    My brother in law was the technical manager at one, plus did regular "easy listening" shows on air.

No sign of hyper compression used on any of these.

.... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ty Ford@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 11 16:55:15 2021
    ** Nope - the average power level of and AM or FM transmission does not change with modulation.

.... Phil

*** Nope, Phil. Sorry. You're incorrect. Maintaining higher modulation levels for AM keeps a wider coverage area.

Do/did you ever have an FCC First Phone?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Ty Ford on Sat Sep 11 18:25:20 2021
    Ty Ford wrote:

=======================================================

*** Nope, Phil. Sorry. You're incorrect.

** Fraid I am 100% correct.

Maintaining higher modulation levels for AM keeps a wider coverage area.

** Now you are simply repeating the same unsupported fallacy.

" - the average power level of and AM or FM transmission does not change with modulation.
    The received s/n ratio depends on carrier power - but once the signal at the antenna is high enough s/n reaches a limit.
    Heavy compression of the modulation benefits listeners in bad environments, vehicles, busy streets, workplaces and the like.
    Those at home with stereo FM tuners in a hi-fi system get to lump it. "

..... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don Pearce@21:1/5 to pallison49@gmail.com on Sun Sep 12 07:47:31 2021
    On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:06:15 -0700 (PDT), "palli...@gmail.com" <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

Ty Ford wrote:
    ============
    And FMs in particular have a reason to do it - fundamentally to get their >> > audible signal 'out of the grass' signal-to-noise ratio-wise.

** Doubtful.

The amount of consistent modulation ends up as power to the sidebands and increases the overall coverage of the AM signal.

.... Phil

At a modulation index of 1, the average power of an AM wave is 1.5
    times the unmodulated carrier power.

Pt = Pc(1 + m^2 / 2)

So Ty has it right.

d

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 12 01:04:58 2021
    Don Pearce = Massive Pommy LIAR Bullshitted. =====================================
    >

Pt = Pc(1 + m^2 / 2)

So Ty has it right.

** No he fucking does not - you lying pommy cunt !!

The average level of the modulated wave never changes.
    So modulation has no effect of the recovered s/n at the receiver.

Still got no fucking idea how square wave ringing is not a new frequency ? Course not - vile, autistic cunts like you would rather die not knowing.

....... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Don Pearce Vile Pommy CUNT on Sun Sep 12 02:00:41 2021
    Don Pearce Vile Pommy CUNT wrote:
    ==========================

Pt = Pc(1 + m^2 / 2)

So Ty has it right.

Still got no fucking idea how square wave ringing is not a new frequency ? >Course not - vile, autistic cunts like you would rather die not knowing.

And yet again, when confronted by facts,

** The formula is true strictly only for * RMS* power.
    - making a barking mad *autistic* conclusion about receiver s/n is NOT !!!

Still got no fucking idea how square wave ringing is not a new frequency ? Course not - vile, autistic pommy cunts like you would rather die not knowing.

Feel a bit hot, chest sore, hard to breathe ?
    No appetite ?
    Covid is a real bitch.

....... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don Pearce@21:1/5 to pallison49@gmail.com on Sun Sep 12 08:29:51 2021
    On Sun, 12 Sep 2021 01:04:58 -0700 (PDT), "palli...@gmail.com" <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

Don Pearce = Massive Pommy LIAR Bullshitted. >=====================================

Pt = Pc(1 + m^2 / 2)

So Ty has it right.

Still got no fucking idea how square wave ringing is not a new frequency ? >Course not - vile, autistic cunts like you would rather die not knowing.

And yet again, when confronted by facts, Phil rants and swears, hoping
    that by shouting louder everyone will think he must be right.

1.5 was the ratio for a sine wave. If you modulate 100% with a square
    wave the average power is doubled. Think about it. For half the time
    the amplitude is doubled, so the power is quadrupled. Divide 4 by 2
    (only half the time), and the average power over the cycle is 2.

Phil, you should learn to pick your fights.

d

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don Pearce@21:1/5 to pallison49@gmail.com on Sun Sep 12 09:56:19 2021
    On Sun, 12 Sep 2021 02:00:41 -0700 (PDT), "palli...@gmail.com" <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

Don Pearce Vile Pommy CUNT wrote:
    ==========================

Pt = Pc(1 + m^2 / 2)

So Ty has it right.

Still got no fucking idea how square wave ringing is not a new frequency ? >> >Course not - vile, autistic cunts like you would rather die not knowing.

And yet again, when confronted by facts,

** The formula is true strictly only for * RMS* power.
    - making a barking mad *autistic* conclusion about receiver s/n is NOT !!!

Still got no fucking idea how square wave ringing is not a new frequency ? >Course not - vile, autistic pommy cunts like you would rather die not knowing.

Feel a bit hot, chest sore, hard to breathe ?
    No appetite ?
    Covid is a real bitch.

RMS power? There is no such thing. There is RMS voltage, and RMS
    current, the product of which is average power. Nobody ever took the
    RMS of power for any reason.

d

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don Pearce@21:1/5 to tyre3ef0rd@gmail.com on Sun Sep 12 14:40:44 2021
    On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 16:55:15 -0700 (PDT), Ty Ford
    <tyre3ef0rd@gmail.com> wrote:

.... Phil

*** Nope, Phil. Sorry. You're incorrect. Maintaining higher modulation levels for AM keeps a wider coverage area.

Do/did you ever have an FCC First Phone?

Ty you can safely ignore Phil. You are dead right. I used to be
    Principal Engineer for Marconi Instruments. That means I designed both
    RF signal sources and analysers, so I understand modulation and what
    it does. I was also an accredited NAMAS sign-off for calibrated
    standards.

d

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ty Ford@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 12 07:42:32 2021
    Hi Don, et al minus phil,

Morgan Burrows was chief engineer at WEAM-AM where I worked for about a year back in the mid 1970s. I bow to his considerable RF knowledge. My First Class FCC license was commuted to a "General", but I still have the original. Are First Class
    Radiotelephone Operators license even in existence anymore? Back then, there were 3rd, 2nd and 1st class licenses. You had to pass them in order. For AM radio work, many announcers needed a "First Phone" unless you worked for a station with a separate
    full time AM engineering staff, because some qualified person needed to read the meters on the transmitters. Especially if the AM was directional. The meters on the phasing cabinets let you know if your pattern had wandered.

When I worked at 50Kw WBAL AM/WIYY FM, they had a full time engineering staff at the AM transmitter site across town. It was a sacred RF temple. I suspect WRC, WTOP and WMAL in Washington DC also had AM transmitter engineering staff.

Anyway.............

180% positive and 100% negative. Really?! Morgan explained to me the way it worked, including the FCC-ordered reduction to 125% positive peak modulation. I recall wondering what that over 100% modulation might do to overall fidelity. They were at 125%
    when I was there. I couldn't hear any particularly nasty artifacts. If the negative peaks had been over 100% you definitely would have heard something bad.

This shrinkage of coverage area was another nail in the coffin for AM radio. FM penetration, the term they used for the increasing number of FM stations, was on the rise. Prior to that there weren't really enough FM radios to bother broadcasting in FM (
    they thought). DC AM giant WTOP sold its FM to Howard University in the early 1970s, reportedly for $1 because they lacked the vision for what to do with it. That station became WHUR.

In 1971 I worked at WAYE-AM, a daytimer in Baltimore. I was curious as to why WAYE faded out for a block or so as I drove north through town to get to the studios. One day I saw a map of the greater Baltimore area. I spotted the area on Paca Street where
    the signal faded, then looked East to find Chesaco Park where the transmitter was. Oh! The Baltimore Civic Center was a few blocks east of Paca, right in between the two, and was likely throwing its shadow to block reception.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ty Ford@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 12 07:44:37 2021
    Ty you can safely ignore Phil. You are dead right. I used to be
    Principal Engineer for Marconi Instruments. That means I designed both
    it does. I was also an accredited NAMAS sign-off for calibrated
    standards.
    d

Thanks, Don! :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Don Pearce Insane Pommy Asshole on Sun Sep 12 13:32:25 2021
    Don Pearce Insane Pommy Asshole wrote:

I used to be Principal Engineer for Marconi Instruments. That means I designed both
    it does.

** So can anyone with an engineering background - it ain't secret knowledge.

But what you really are is a arrogant, bullshitting, nut case pommy arsehole.

And there are 10s of millions of them.

....... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 12 13:27:45 2021
    Don Pearce = Insane Pommy Shit Head & Autistic Moron:

RMS power? There is no such thing.

** FFS - fuck off a die you LYING IDIOT

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Ty Ford who simply knows nothing at on Sun Sep 12 13:39:04 2021
    Ty Ford who simply knows nothing at all wrote: =======================================

180% positive and 100% negative. Really?!
    Morgan explained to me the way it worked, including the FCC-ordered reduction to 125% positive peak modulation.
    I recall wondering what that over 100% modulation might do to overall fidelity.

** So you had no idea that is was not an issue?
    No big surprise for a glorified radio DJ.

How come you took up doing fake "reviews" of microphones for a business?

...... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ty Ford@21:1/5 to palli...@gmail.com on Sun Sep 12 14:26:32 2021
    On Sunday, September 12, 2021 at 4:39:07 PM UTC-4, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
    Ty Ford who simply knows nothing at all wrote: =======================================

Morgan explained to me the way it worked, including the FCC-ordered reduction to 125% positive peak modulation.

...... Phil

Yawn.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Ty Ford on Sun Sep 12 15:45:14 2021
    Ty Ford wrote:
    ===============

Morgan explained to me the way it worked, including the FCC-ordered reduction
    to 125% positive peak modulation.

Yawn.

** Wot an obvious Fake.

....... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to Chris K-Man on Mon Sep 13 12:59:19 2021
    On 11/09/2021 10:52 pm, Chris K-Man wrote:
    On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 10:41:09 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
    Any advice to help get it 'just right' would be greatly appreciated! >>>>>
    Sincerely,
    Dustin

OK, Carly Simon was entrained to appreciate the Z100 processing chain. Clearly, not every song sounds like that in its natural mastered state. What does a song sound like if it's pre-processed to sound like that already and then goes through the
    Z100 processing? Is it not double processed?

I recall a conversation with a DC radio friend when I was at 98Rock in Baltimore. He said he'd been in a loudness war with other DC stations and after their last (hopefully) triumphant tweek, he switched to us and liked us better. What did we have
    in front of our optimod!!!???? I told him it was a piece of wire. IOW, nothing. You can chase your tail in that race and drive yourself crazy.

The End
    _______

There you go, Scott D!

And FMs in particular have a reason to do it - fundamentally to get their >>> audible signal 'out of the grass' signal-to-noise ratio-wise.
    No, to make an 'impact' on listeners, a uniform level so that constant
    adjustments are not required by the listener for different
    songs/albums/artists, and cater to higher-noise environments

Originally, that would just involve the RIAA phono curve equivalent of
    (HF only) pre-emphasis, and de-emph at the tuner end, plus, modest
    amounts of peak-limiting and dynamic compression, maybe up to

Now there's tons of EQ, layers of multi-band, and gosh knows how
    much limiting! AAnd of course at can all be done in one or two rack-mounts, >>> such as an Optimod, or whatever brand is the modern equivalent.
    'ratings-worthy' sound! The ONLY sound that should matter is the sound of >>> what they play!

is beyond shameful, but of course now most albums since 2000 sound
    that way.

There is less of a difference between how those two sound on the radio vs >>> when I play their CDs, vs when I hear 'Thriller' or 'Dark Side Of The Moon' >>> on the radio and then toss in the original issue CDs of those albums. Sad! >> Yes, there is less to compress on those newer albums, so the sound won't

geoff

Digital processing has in itself has nothing to do with questionable
    mastering tastes.

2. My "favorite" hypercompression - by saying that geoff you are implying
    that it doesn't exist, and that only one person is concerned with it. Stop
    doing that - it's juvenile and NewsMaxian.

Reading comprehension not your strong point it seems. I implied nothing
    of the sort. Only that it is your tiresome hobby-horse.

3. Before it gets to a station. I know that. Then the station add its own
    'icing' to the cake when it's played.

Yes.

4. Bieber, other modern poppers: I keep them as examples of how
    NOT to make a record! In the case of Adele and Bruno - their material is relatively good! It's how it's 'engineered' that myself - AND
    MANY OTHERS - take issue with.

Dunno (or want to) about Bieber, but I'm sure none of the others would
    be considered extreme compared to much of the current stuff.

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don Pearce@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 13 07:54:44 2021
    On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 12:59:19 +1200, geoff <geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org>
    wrote:

1. Notice I said radio's "partial" role in it. Later digital forms of processing at
    the mastering stage were the nail in the coffin for decent sounding albums.

Digital processing has in itself has nothing to do with questionable >mastering tastes.

It sort of does. A lot of the hyper compression and perceived level maximization only became possible with DSP. Your options are pretty
    limited in the analogue domain.

d

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to Don Pearce on Mon Sep 13 23:03:19 2021
    On 13/09/2021 7:54 pm, Don Pearce wrote:
    wrote:

1. Notice I said radio's "partial" role in it. Later digital forms of processing at

mastering tastes.

It sort of does. A lot of the hyper compression and perceived level maximization only became possible with DSP. Your options are pretty

d

Possible yes. But not in the slightest compulsory.

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don Pearce@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 13 11:13:18 2021
    On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 23:03:19 +1200, geoff <geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org>
    wrote:

On 13/09/2021 7:54 pm, Don Pearce wrote:
    wrote:

mastering tastes.

It sort of does. A lot of the hyper compression and perceived level
    maximization only became possible with DSP. Your options are pretty

d

Possible yes. But not in the slightest compulsory.

We all know that advances in technology never make the same process
    quicker and easier - they always result in taking the same time and
    doing more. It was inevitable.

d

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From None@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 13 07:55:17 2021
    On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 03:52:53 -0700, theckma @ shortbus.edu proclaimed:
    2. My "favorite" hypercompression - by saying that geoff you are implying that it doesn't exist,

Nobody implied that. Maybe you inferred it, but that's down to your own stupidity.

and that only one person is concerned with it.

Only one person in this froup is both completely ignorant on the subject,
    and completely obessed by it as a hobby-horse. Nobody comes here and posts
    such heaping piles of goat manure about it.

Stop doing that - it's juvenile and NewsMaxian.

Stop doing that. It's retarded.

4. Bieber

Does anybody here other than you even give a fuck about Bieber? What are
    you, an adolescent girl? Or just a retarded dumb-fuck who likes making a
    big display of what a moron you are?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tobiah@21:1/5 to palli...@gmail.com on Wed Sep 15 08:48:26 2021
    On 9/12/21 1:32 PM, palli...@gmail.com wrote:

I used to be Principal Engineer for Marconi Instruments. That means I designed both
    it does.

Personal attacks. The last hope for a losing argument.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris K-Man@21:1/5 to Tobiah on Wed Sep 15 12:27:34 2021
    On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 11:48:31 AM UTC-4, Tobiah wrote:
    On 9/12/21 1:32 PM, palli...@gmail.com wrote:

it does.

______

Phil can't compare to the bot right above you!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Tobiah the Troll on Wed Sep 15 15:21:52 2021
    Tobiah the Troll wrote:
    -----------------------------------

it does.

** Totally false.

In a forum where there are NO no rules, where you can be slandered publicly by the anonymous, where you cannot chose whom to debate with or avoid debate - the rule you mindlessly cite is COMPELTELY IRRELEVANT !!.

Usenet is no debating society - its a * fucking street fight* .

You have only two choices, fight the bullshitters and trolls OR pack up and go home.
    I chose the former.

..... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don Pearce@21:1/5 to pallison49@gmail.com on Thu Sep 16 06:46:14 2021
    On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 15:21:52 -0700 (PDT), "palli...@gmail.com" <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

You have only two choices, fight the bullshitters and trolls OR pack up and go home.
    I chose the former.

It's always fun to watch an insane man hitting his own reflection in a
    mirror. OK, it's actually a bit sad - but it's been a bad year and we
    have to take our enjoyment where we find it.

d

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 16 01:28:15 2021
    Don Pearce = Psycohpath Troll Pommy Cunt wrote: =============================================

** Replacing what the lying POS snipped,
    ================================

In a forum where there are NO no rules, where you can be slandered publicly by the anonymous, where you cannot chose whom to >>debate with or avoid debate - the rule you mindlessly cite is COMPELTELY IRRELEVANT !!.
    I chose the former.

It's always fun to watch an insane man...

** There is no fun watching a rabid, ASD fucked psycho pull his cock in public.
    It fair makes me puke.

Wonder where else does Don publicly flash his privates ??
    Hope he is on the local police radar.

...... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tobiah@21:1/5 to palli...@gmail.com on Thu Sep 16 07:59:52 2021
    On 9/15/21 3:21 PM, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
    Tobiah the Troll wrote:
    -----------------------------------

it does.

** Totally false.

In a forum where there are NO no rules, where you can be slandered publicly by the anonymous, where you cannot chose whom to debate with or avoid debate - the rule you mindlessly cite is COMPELTELY IRRELEVANT !!.

I chose the former.

Yeah, well you're just a dooty pants.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ty Ford@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 16 08:11:22 2021
    So happy I could be useful!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Les Cargill@21:1/5 to Don Pearce on Fri Sep 17 22:34:14 2021
    Don Pearce wrote:
    On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:06:15 -0700 (PDT), "palli...@gmail.com" <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

Ty Ford wrote:
    ============
    And FMs in particular have a reason to do it - fundamentally to get their >>>> audible signal 'out of the grass' signal-to-noise ratio-wise.

** Doubtful.

.... Phil

Pt = Pc(1 + m^2 / 2)

So Ty has it right.

d

I really want that 1.5 to be a misrepresented 1.414 from the age of typewriters. :) I do not know why.

--
    Les Cargill

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don Pearce@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 18 08:47:10 2021
    On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 22:34:14 -0500, Les Cargill <lcargil99@gmail.com>
    wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:
    On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:06:15 -0700 (PDT), "palli...@gmail.com"
    <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

Ty Ford wrote:
    ============
    And FMs in particular have a reason to do it - fundamentally to get their >>>>> audible signal 'out of the grass' signal-to-noise ratio-wise.

** Doubtful.

.... Phil

Pt = Pc(1 + m^2 / 2)

So Ty has it right.

d

I really want that 1.5 to be a misrepresented 1.414 from the age of >typewriters. :) I do not know why.

Wish I could help, but it's just 1 + 1^2 / 2. So 1.5 it is.

d

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dustin Malpass@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 9 20:50:40 2021
    There is actually an absolute ton of things I like about a moderately compressed sound. I'm not a big fan of over the top compression but if done properly with purpose, I believe it can be a very nice listen.

- Dustin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pallison49@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 9 21:32:04 2021
    Dustin Malpass = Giant Barry Manilow Fan:
    ===================
    There is actually an absolute ton of things I like about a moderately compressed sound. I'm not a big fan of over the top compression but if done properly with purpose, I believe it can be a very nice listen.

** Muzak.

FFS

..... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05