• Re: Fostex D160 Hard disk recorder - Any Feedback?

From JOHN WRIGHTSON@21:1/5 to ord...@yahoo.com on Tue Mar 7 03:54:19 2023
    On Thursday, 24 September 1998 at 00:00:00 UTC-7, ord...@yahoo.com wrote:
    I have both a D-160 and a D-90 slaved together for recording 16 analog tracks live with 8 available for overdubs. The slave works fine once you get the settings right (1 call to Chris @ Fostex was all it needed). The manual is less than optimal (I'm being nice).
    Mine are constantly on the road and have yet to hickup (except for crew folks who don't plug the cables in all the way and screw them down - my pet peeve). Be advised that Quantum drives are the recommended drives on these units and others will run extremely hot (Fostex says this is due to lower power requirements on Quantums). Also, order your D-160 with no hard drive because the 2.55 Gb. it comes with (and they charge you for) is too small. Order extra hard drive caddies and the 16' remote cable (both about $35), they will make your life easier from the get go. Also, Whirlwind makes nice breakouts for the D-160s (it uses the 25 pin D-Sub connectors - 3 females on back of unit) if you need analog cables for the balanced unit.
    I have to send my D-160 back to Fostex to have the SMPTE option put in (since we will be slaving to video shortly) and Fostex has promised us a 3 day turnaround on the unit, which I thought was excellent.
    Backup to Jaz, SCSI hard drive, or ADAT works well.
    Mike Cook
    Ordinary Management
    My studio team is considering the Fostex D-160 16-track disk based multitrack. It looks like a good machine, but I personally have had less than great history with Fostex.

Anyone here have any input as to how good/poor the unit is?

Thanks bunches!

D Norvell

-----== Posted via Deja News, The Leader in Internet Discussion ==----- http://www.dejanews.com/rg_mkgrp.xp Create Your Own Free Member Forum

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)