• Did/do certain stores get targeted for lesser pressings of LPs?

From brassplyer@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 14 15:07:40 2022
    Saw someone talk about this in another forum, that in the heyday of the LP supposedly "discount" record outlets would regularly receive lesser stampings of records made when it was known that the stampers were near or past their useful life cycle. They
    believe the current crop of records at Walmart etc. are likely in the same category.

Do you think there's something to that?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Chris K-Man@21:1/5 to brass...@yahoo.com on Thu Dec 15 03:24:43 2022
    On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 6:07:42 PM UTC-5, brass...@yahoo.com wrote:
    Saw someone talk about this in another forum, that in the heyday of the LP supposedly "discount" record outlets would regularly receive lesser stampings of records made when it was known that the stampers were near or past their useful life cycle. They
    believe the current crop of records at Walmart etc. are likely in the same category.

Maybe.

Or, they were stamped on thinner pieces of vinyl. I noticed a lot of budget compilation discs from the '70s and '80s
    were stamped on relatively flimsy/floppy records! I cannot speak for the sturdiness of mail order sets like the ones
    in this commercial, but I would assume, considering the target market for this example, they were heavier grade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP9u_7eSlTQ

(Whew! Does THAT bring back memories or what - especially if you grew up as I did, near a major television
    market)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to brass...@yahoo.com on Fri Dec 16 21:14:10 2022
    brass...@yahoo.com <brassplyer@yahoo.com> wrote:
    Saw someone talk about this in another forum, that in the heyday of the LP = >supposedly "discount" record outlets would regularly receive lesser stampin= >gs of records made when it was known that the stampers were near or past th= >eir useful life cycle. They believe the current crop of records at Walmart = >etc. are likely in the same category.

Not necessarily, but they would often receive records later on in their
    runs. The popular hit records go to Tower and the Virgin Megastore, and then when they weren't such big hits, they'd start filling up Korvettes record
    bins. And the big labels were often trying to get as many records as possible out of a run, often keeping metal around for much longer for pop records than for classical stuff. So I could believe that for big name pop stuff that
    might happen.

Wal-Mart is a different issue today because I think most of the disks made
    for Wal-Mart are specially pressed just for them... and mastered just for them... and often not mastered or pressed very well because people will buy them anyway...
    --scott
    --
    "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05