• Technics MASH CD-Players have always been massively underrated

From natman2683@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Cyberiade.it Anonymous Remailer on Mon Aug 15 03:11:55 2016
    On Wednesday, 15 July 2009 19:29:02 UTC+9:30, Cyberiade.it Anonymous Remailer wrote:
    In the early nineties I listened to Technics' MASH CD players on
    various audio fairs and I was blown away by the sound quality, the
    dynamics, the tonal reproduction and the 'live' sound of these players.
    Now after nearly two decades I decided to purchase a used Technics MASH player for a pittance and I found it to be superiour in sound quality
    to my brand new Denon (which uses comparable Delta-Sigma D/A
    converters).

I am of the opinion that the Technics MASH based CD-players have always
    been massively underrated by the audio press. If you really listen
    you'll hear that the MASH players sound much better than their
    counterparts. The audio press is dominated by commercial interests and hardly by sound quality and in the past they rated the Technics players
    as good but unexceptional.

I'm now bargain hunting for a cheap, used, high-end Technics model.
    Last I heard these (in the 90's) its sound quality really shocked me.
    And I've never heard anything comparable since.

My advise to everyone would be to get yourself a used Technics CD-
    player, preferably one of the higher end models, which you can buy for around $100-$150. It's really sad that Matsushita stopped making
    Technics equipment in 2005 due to lack of demand. MASH based CD-players
    can still be found in the hifi audio sets from Panasonic, though.

I HEREBY DECLARE THE TECHNICS MASH CD-PLAYERS TO BE THE BEST SOUNDING CD-PLAYERS ON THE PLANET

I, too, have to agree (both about responding to an old post and the seemingly everlasting quality of Technics). Technics are a brand I've grown up with all my life and a few years ago, I had the opportunity to acquire a complete system, minus cd player,
    for nothing (wasn't working but good old Technics "supplied with the instructions" circuit diagrams and $16 worth of replacement NOS Amp Chip and now don't dare turn it up past 4 on the dial for fear of destroying windows...). I'm now looking for a MASH
    unit like my dad has as his has been running day in & day out for over 20 years now and, sadly, as previous posts have mentioned they aren't in regular circulation anymore. I second every positive statement made about these units as they are definitely
    putting out clearer and fuller audio than any player I've had since leaving home and they seem, almost, indestructible.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From samfromau@gmail.com@21:1/5 to drums...@gmail.com on Fri Mar 24 03:14:12 2017
    On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 5:22:54 AM UTC+10, drums...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, 15 July 2009 10:59:02 UTC+1, Cyberiade.it Anonymous Remailer wrote:
    In the early nineties I listened to Technics' MASH CD players on
    various audio fairs and I was blown away by the sound quality, the dynamics, the tonal reproduction and the 'live' sound of these players. Now after nearly two decades I decided to purchase a used Technics MASH player for a pittance and I found it to be superiour in sound quality
    to my brand new Denon (which uses comparable Delta-Sigma D/A
    converters).

I am of the opinion that the Technics MASH based CD-players have always been massively underrated by the audio press. If you really listen
    you'll hear that the MASH players sound much better than their counterparts. The audio press is dominated by commercial interests and hardly by sound quality and in the past they rated the Technics players
    as good but unexceptional.

I'm now bargain hunting for a cheap, used, high-end Technics model.
    Last I heard these (in the 90's) its sound quality really shocked me.
    And I've never heard anything comparable since.

My advise to everyone would be to get yourself a used Technics CD-
    player, preferably one of the higher end models, which you can buy for around $100-$150. It's really sad that Matsushita stopped making
    Technics equipment in 2005 due to lack of demand. MASH based CD-players can still be found in the hifi audio sets from Panasonic, though.

I HEREBY DECLARE THE TECHNICS MASH CD-PLAYERS TO BE THE BEST SOUNDING CD-PLAYERS ON THE PLANET

I know this is an old post but you're absolutely right! I'm a professional musician and HiFi nut and apart from owning many top makes over the years including, Arcam, Naim, Exposure, Marantz, Teac, Denson etc etc, I've just recently discovered Technics
    CD players thanks to my neighbour who asked me for help setting up his system.
    I make my own bespoke amps and speakers that are far more transparent than anything you can buy from a shop, made with the very best components and the system just sings with the Technics front end. I now have modified two models the SL-PS 700 (MASH
    MN6474)and SL-PG 320A (MN6475 chip) so they're both sounding sweeter than ever but surprisingly, it's the cheapest model the 320, that is the real star especially as I got it for free from an old gent about to throw it away at the dump!!! It is full and
    rich with very accurate tonality, detailed huge bass and the most detailed and natural top end I've ever heard from any CDP.
    Don't listen to Hi Fi magazine critics, it's because of their incompetence I missed out on these gems. I swear these guys have never heard what real instruments sound like, they said the technics had harsh top end, no no no! I'm around live instruments
    every day and top end frequencies like cymbals are very accurately reproduced by the Technics players, not smoothed down like so many "Hi Fi" brands like to do.

Hi There,
    I was impressed with the 2 MASH cd players i have.
    I have a SL-P477A and PG440A. Did you upgrade your opamps, i tried LME49860 in the P477A and the OPA1642 in the PG440.
    Thanks
    Sam

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)