• Hey, it's still sort-of around

From Thomas Krueger@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 21 12:13:57 2022
    When I created this group in the early 90s, I certainly never expected it to survive the death of USENET. Nice that some of you still come around.

I pretty much just use Parasound equipment these days though I have a Stax DAC-Talent feeding the analog, which its own minor but good-sounding upgrades.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter Wieck@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 22 06:04:10 2022
    Some of us, despite our advanced age, still dabble in the hobby. My 'specialty' if you will, is middle-of-the-road vintage equipment of US and/or Euro origins that also lends itself to good maintenance, tweaking, and reliable operation. Revox, Dynaco, AR,
    Magnepan, Harman Kardon (Citation), Scott, Rabco and along those lines. About 1/3 tube, 2/4 solid-state. I also retain most of my hearing, fine motor skills and eyesight, so it remains good fun and a relatively inexpensive hobby. Keeps me close to home,
    doesn't eat, and is cheaper than another woman - or so my wife says.

Recent acquisitions along those lines are a 1971 vintage US-made AR tuner that is electronically excellent, cosmetically challenged, and a Sony CD changer c.1994 with remote and in excellent working condition. Both for sparrow-feed. After cleaning and
    tweaking, these will join a pair of AR speakers and an AR integrated amp as a housewarming present for a daughter of a good friend. She likes vintage equipment (as a tenured professor of medieval studies, that is no surprise), and this fills the bill.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tobiah@21:1/5 to Thomas Krueger on Thu Feb 24 14:08:07 2022
    On 1/21/22 12:13, Thomas Krueger wrote:
    When I created this group in the early 90s, I certainly never
    expected it to survive the death of USENET. Nice that some of you
    still come around.

Still some ghosts in the hall.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DManzaluni@21:1/5 to Tobiah on Thu Oct 20 12:27:56 2022
    On Thursday, February 24, 2022 at 5:12:36 PM UTC-5, Tobiah wrote:
    On 1/21/22 12:13, Thomas Krueger wrote:
    When I created this group in the early 90s, I certainly never
    expected it to survive the death of USENET. Nice that some of you
    still come around.
    Still some ghosts in the hall.

What is interesting is how much of the really good stuff is now available at dirt cheap prices if you look in the right places!

Over the last few years I have picked up FREE, a Nakamichi AV2, a Stasis amp, a Linn DVD player with high end amp &Preamp stages, a Carver M500T power amp, an Adcom GFA535/GTP500 and some ultra early Bose 901 speakers with the rare chestnut (pre-beige)
    grille-cloth, some higher end Canton and Infinite Slope floor standing speakers etc etc

The only downside is that it has become a bit more difficult to realise any value in my MR71?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Wieck@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 21 07:56:18 2022
    There is a lot of vintage stuff and often in the oddest of places. I have stated repeatedly that there is enough legacy equipment out there to satisfy the entire hobby in perpetuity, with a good deal left over. Even the 'good stuff'. I have found very
    good stuff from barns outside Berwick, PA (McIntosh) to open-air souks in Khobar, SA (Revox, AR & Dynaco).

The trick is to avoid 'what is in style' at that moment, focusing on otherwise excellent items not then (or yet) popular.

Question: How much did the former owner of the Bose 901s pay you to take them? ;-)>

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05