• Attenuate highest highs?

From ~misfit~@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 13 01:19:43 2020
    I have a pair of 2-way speakers that I like very much - except they go too
    high and are too bright. They're Sony SSK-30s and otherwise make great near-field monitors in my office. They image and reproduce voice
    exceptionally
    well.

I'll be 60 next year and can't hear a huge amount above around 16 - 17 kHz. However they distract me too much with sounds that I can barely hear (no
    other
    speakers that I've heard lately do this). Because of this they're tiring to listen too. Sony sold them as being ideal for SACD and claim they go up to
    kHz (and call them "Extended Definition" speakers).

So what can I add to the cross-over to attenuate the highest highs but leave the main body of the upper frequencies at the same level? A tiny inductor? Surely a resistor would drop all tweeter frequencies and mess with the
    balance?

I have other speakers I could use but these just sound so damn good
    otherwise.
    Re-discovering music from my past through these is amazing, music I've been listening to for decades has new stuff in it... (A cliche but very true in
    this case.)

I tried using a pair of Goodmans Mezzo IIs (that I've always liked) for a
    few
    days but they are lacking in the very upper frequencies (likely due to the
    32mm SEAS tweeter). I want the highs to be there but not in a piercing way.

Input appreciated.
    --
    Shaun.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Unsteadyken@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 13 16:59:25 2020
    In article <hal5lsFoga8U1@mid.individual.net>,

~misfit~ says...

So what can I add to the cross-over to attenuate the highest highs but leave the main body of the upper frequencies at the same level?

Try the acoustic disrupter method:-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tissue_paper#Acoustic_disrupter

--
    Ken

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Wieck@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 14 04:11:27 2020
    What are you using for a pre-amp/power amp and/or integrated amp? Does it have tone controls? A small cut to the treble might solve this neatly. But:

I run an AR Athena sub-sat system in my office - via a Dynaco PAS-3x & ST-35. Given that even though I am "the boss", I am in an office environment so I keep the volume low. Were I to run the system "flat", I would have exactly the problem you describe.
    The 3x has a 'loudness' switch that boosts the bass relative to the treble, just a bit. That allows a more balanced perceived sound at the low levels I use. That capability went out of style more-or-less in the 1980s. The other option would be an
    outboard equalizer - overkill certainly, but an option.

The 'disrupter' method, while cute, may require you to try many sorts of materials before you are satisfied and/or may require different materials based on the signal at hand. It does *work* however.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Trevor Wilson@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 15 04:18:40 2020
    On 12/02/2020 11:19 pm, ~misfit~ wrote:
    I have a pair of 2-way speakers that I like very much - except they go too high and are too bright. They're Sony SSK-30s and otherwise make great near-field monitors in my office. They image and reproduce voice exceptionally
    well.

I'll be 60 next year and can't hear a huge amount above around 16 - 17 kHz. However they distract me too much with sounds that I can barely hear (no other
    speakers that I've heard lately do this). Because of this they're tiring to listen too. Sony sold them as being ideal for SACD and claim they go up to

So what can I add to the cross-over to attenuate the highest highs but leave the main body of the upper frequencies at the same level? A tiny inductor? Surely a resistor would drop all tweeter frequencies and mess with the balance?

I have other speakers I could use but these just sound so damn good otherwise.
    Re-discovering music from my past through these is amazing, music I've been listening to for decades has new stuff in it... (A cliche but very true in this case.)

few
    days but they are lacking in the very upper frequencies (likely due to the 32mm SEAS tweeter). I want the highs to be there but not in a piercing way.

Input appreciated.
    --
    Shaun.

**If your hearing is attenuated at HF, then you don't need to further
    attenuate HF (assuming the speaker has been competently designed).
    You've already stated that you can't hear anything above 16 ~ 17kHz.
    Perhaps you should consider room effects. Have you measured the in-room response?

--
    Trevor Wilson
    www.rageaudio.com.au

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Wieck@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 14 10:32:11 2020
    I think you are missing the point. If too much energy is being dissipated by the speakers in the high range, then too much energy is being dissipated in the high range. And, the brute fact of the matter is that there is not a whole lot going on above 15
    kHz anyway. So if the OP perceives that his speakers are overly bright, we should start there.

I agree that attenuating the high range is not the answer. But neither is tweaking room acoustics. We need to work with the Human Ear and how we perceive sound at various volumes.

Which is why balancing the speaker output does seem to be an answer, especially given that one does not normally blast music in an office. At low volumes, in general, not enough energy gets to the bass driver(s) to balance the treble, especially as
    speaker efficiency drops. These are 88 dB speakers, not horrible, but not great either.

Eschew needless complexity. If the electronics have a "Loudness" function, start there. If they have tone-controls try *BOOSTING* the bass - again that nasty issue of low-volume weak bass is more at-issue than excess treble (at low volume). Failing both
    these things, is it possible to relocate the speakers, moving them more towards room corners, or closer to the floor, or similar so as to help 'boost' the bass response. However, this might sacrifice sound-stage.

Only after the obvious fixes have failed should we push towards more heroic measures.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 14 13:05:22 2020
    On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 9:44:15 AM UTC-5, ~misfit~ wrote:
    I have a pair of 2-way speakers that I like very much - except they go too high and are too bright. They're Sony SSK-30s and otherwise make great near-field monitors in my office. They image and reproduce voice exceptionally well.

I'll be 60 next year and can't hear a huge amount above around 16 - 17 kHz. However they distract me too much with sounds that I can barely hear (no other

So what can I add to the cross-over to attenuate the highest highs but leave the main body of the upper frequencies at the same level? A tiny inductor? Surely a resistor would drop all tweeter frequencies and mess with the balance?

I would posit that what you find irritating is not the presence of
    stuff above 15 kHz, but stuff below that. And if there IS a lot of
    HF material, especially extended bandwidth material (and I'd give
    at least even odds there is NOT), then what you are finding annoying
    is the result of some non-linear process in the speakers.

To put it bluntly, I would not be the least bit surprised to find
    that something in your speakers (or, more generally, somewhere in
    your system) is broken. It could be a mechanical problem in the
    tweeters like a buzz or rattle problem, there could be some electronic
    issue somewhere, all of which is if there IS very high frequency
    information, generating signal at a level higher enough and a frequency
    low enough that it would be EASILY audible to you if isolated.

That's the suspect I would be pursuing, knowing what I know about
    such things.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ~misfit~@21:1/5 to Unsteadyken on Fri Feb 14 12:18:04 2020
    On 14/02/2020 5:59 am, Unsteadyken wrote:
    In article <hal5lsFoga8U1@mid.individual.net>,

~misfit~ says...

So what can I add to the cross-over to attenuate the highest highs but leave >> the main body of the upper frequencies at the same level?

Try the acoustic disrupter method:-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tissue_paper#Acoustic_disrupter

I considered physical barriers (I no longer leave the grilles off them and have considered
    'thickening' the upper part). That section of Wkipedia you linked ends with ... "suggesting that
    more controllable and less random electronic filtering would be preferable" which is where my
    thought processes ended up.

I have a few examples of acoustic lenses on my parts shelf (mainly from old Sansui speakers) but
    after researching and finding they were designed to disperse high frequency sound horizontally
    rather than attenuate it decided against trying to use a lens.

Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long way when religious belief has a cozy little classification
    in the DSM"
    David Melville

This is not an email and hasn't been checked for viruses by any half-arsed self-promoting software.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Trevor Wilson@21:1/5 to Peter Wieck on Mon Feb 17 04:58:31 2020
    On 15/02/2020 5:32 am, Peter Wieck wrote:
    I think you are missing the point. If too much energy is being dissipated by the speakers in the high range, then too much energy is being dissipated in the high range.

**Unlikely. Assuming nothing is broken is the system (as suggested by
    Dick), then it is almost certainly a room problem. Room and speaker/room interaction *IS*, by a very considerable margin, the dominant factor is perceived audible problems in an audio system.

And, the brute fact of the matter is that there is not a whole lot
    going on above 15 kHz anyway. So if the OP perceives that his speakers
    are overly bright, we should start there.

**Well, again: Assuming there is nothing broken in the speaker (which, obviously, should be checked first, to ensure correct functioning), then
    the room is the next item to check.

I agree that attenuating the high range is not the answer. But neither is tweaking room acoustics. We need to work with the Human Ear and how we perceive sound at various volumes.

**And trust me on this: The room is, by a very considerable margin, the dominant factor in audible problems with systems.

Which is why balancing the speaker output does seem to be an answer, especially given that one does not normally blast music in an office. At low volumes, in general, not enough energy gets to the bass driver(s) to balance the treble, especially as
    speaker efficiency drops. These are 88 dB speakers, not horrible, but not great either.

**I am making several assumptions in my diagnosis:

1) That the speakers have been professionally and correctly designed and constructed. Either of these things may not be true. I don't know. Sony
    is a proper brand, so I assume design and construction has been done to
    decent standards.

2) That the amplifier is not broken.

Therefore, the room is the problem. Room treatments can be challenging
    to apply, but they can be very, VERY cost-effective.

The room will be the problem. Too many hard surfaces is most likely.

Eschew needless complexity. If the electronics have a "Loudness" function, start there.

**No. Tone controls (and loudness controls) are very much a hit and miss treatment. Without proper measurements and controls, tone controls are
    pretty much a waste of time.

If they have tone-controls try *BOOSTING* the bass - again that nasty
    issue of low-volume weak bass is more at-issue than excess treble (at
    low volume). Failing both these things, is it possible to relocate the speakers, moving them more towards room corners, or closer to the floor,
    or similar so as to help 'boost' the bass response. However, this might sacrifice sound-stage.

**The speakers should be placed in a location where they have been
    designed for. Any other location will deliver unpredictable results.

Only after the obvious fixes have failed should we push towards more heroic measures.

**Room treatments are hardly heroic measures. Room treatments are
    FUNDAMENTAL to the proper operation of a sound reproduction system. In
    fact, I would posit that the STARTING point of a sound reproduction
    system is the room. Everything else is secondary. And, when I say 'room treatments' I do include speakers and speaker location as part of the
    process. However, since the speakers are already chosen and, presumably, located appropriately, then room treatments (damping materials) is the
    next approach to take.

--
    Trevor Wilson
    www.rageaudio.com.au

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mat Nieuwenhoven@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 17 08:50:44 2020
    On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 01:19:43 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

I have a pair of 2-way speakers that I like very much - except they go too >high and are too bright. They're Sony SSK-30s and otherwise make great >near-field monitors in my office. They image and reproduce voice >exceptionally
    well.

It is possible there is a nasty resonance in the tweeter. That can
    only be determined by measuring the speaker, but requires some
    hardware (electret microphone, analog audio input/output
    possibility), you don't need a 'dead' room for that. If you can go
    that route, check out www.artalabs.hr, I have no relation with them.

Mat Nieuwenhoven

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Trevor Wilson on Mon Feb 17 14:27:54 2020
    On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 1:29:45 PM UTC-5, Trevor Wilson wrote:
    I think you are missing the point. If too much energy is being
    dissipated by the speakers in the high range, then too much energy is being >> dissipated in the high range.

Dick), then it is almost certainly a room problem.

AAT the kind of frequencies the original poster is talking
    about, it is almost certinaly NOT a room problem. It would
    be about the LAST thing I would go looking after.

Room and speaker/room

interaction *IS*, by a very considerable margin, the dominant factor is perceived audible problems in an audio system.

Not at the kinds of high frequency (>10 kHz) the poster is taking
    about, no.

In all the speakers I have measured in rooms, and that number is
    not inconsiderable, the higher frequencies, and especially that
    region around and above 10 kHz, shows the closest approach to the
    anechoice response of the loudspeaker.

Why? For it to be a room problem, you have to have a LOT of paths
    (and by "a lot", I mean the preponderance of all possible paths)
    whose length is proximal to whiole number multiples of eithe 1/4
    or 1/2 a wavelenngth to within a high degree of precision (maybe
    +- a few degrees total phase error), and we're talking wavelength
    on the order of an inch or less. Further, all these paths must have
    a very low total absorption along the paths.

I would suggest this will be a fruitless pursuit.

Now, if it was just a LITTLE lower in frequency, like a factor
    a hundred times lower, you might have a case.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ~misfit~@21:1/5 to Peter Wieck on Tue Feb 18 17:28:15 2020
    On 15/02/2020 7:32 am, Peter Wieck wrote:
    I think you are missing the point. If too much energy is being dissipated by the speakers in the high range, then too much energy is being dissipated in the high range. And, the brute fact of the matter is that there is not a whole lot going on above
    15 kHz anyway. So if the OP perceives that his speakers are overly bright, we should start there.

A lot of the material I listen to is 'full range' and does have a reasonable amount of high
    frequency content.

(I was listening to the Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie album the other day and there were
    'tinkling' noises in one track that I could hear but not clearly. It made me wonder why two 70 y/o
    plus musicians were using sounds that they likely couldn't hear!)

I do generally listen to music with a wide dynamic range so the volume is set higher than it would
    be if I were listening to compressed pop or rock music. I sometimes listen to music while computer
    gaming and it can be louder than you'd expect in an 'office'.

I use the term 'office' loosely to mean the area of the house where my computer and desk are. It's
    a habit I picked up when I owned a small business and did my stocktaking and accounts etc. from a
    home office.

Eschew needless complexity. If the electronics have a "Loudness" function, start there. If they have tone-controls try *BOOSTING* the bass - again that nasty issue of low-volume weak bass is more at-issue than excess treble (at low volume). Failing
    both these things, is it possible to relocate the speakers, moving them more towards room corners, or closer to the floor, or similar so as to help 'boost' the bass response. However, this might sacrifice sound-stage.

The bass is good. I'm using a small kitset pre-amp with no tone controls which goes through a
    crossover in a second-hand kitset subwoofer amplifier. (Playmaster 300W Subwoofer Amplifier.) The
    crossover takes away all of signal below a certain point, sums it and feeds it to the 300W MOSFET
    amp. It has three selectable crossover points and a level control.

I've got it set to the lowest of the crossover points (which are 70, 90 and 120Hz) as I want to
    preserve as much directional information from low frequencies as possible. The Sony SS-K30EDs seem
    to handle frequencies down to 70Hz just fine with minimal drop-off.

The subwoofer is a very inefficient thing that I built braced 25mm MDF a couple of decades ago.
    It's a 10" driver in a ~40l internally-braced sealed box and as such is very 'musical' when
    compared to ported subwoofers that I've heard. It's response tails off below about 26Hz but I'm
    fine with that.

Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long way when religious belief has a cozy little classification
    in the DSM"
    David Melville

This is not an email and hasn't been checked for viruses by any half-arsed self-promoting software.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ~misfit~@21:1/5 to Peter Wieck on Tue Feb 18 18:05:38 2020
    On 15/02/2020 1:11 am, Peter Wieck wrote:
    What are you using for a pre-amp/power amp and/or integrated amp? Does it have tone controls? A small cut to the treble might solve this neatly. But:

Sorry Peter I didn't see your post until now and have replied to all of the others in this thread
    so there might be relevant info there. I'm using a very basic pre-amp with no tone controls and a
    certain Dynaco ST120 power amp. There is a pass-through crossover between the two taking everything
    below 70Hz to a 10" subwoofer as described in another post.

I run an AR Athena sub-sat system in my office - via a Dynaco PAS-3x & ST-35. Given that even though I am "the boss", I am in an office environment so I keep the volume low.

As mentioned elsewhere my 'office' is a 'soft' alcove (there's carpet, an armchair, curtains etc.)
    off my main open-plan dining / kitchen area where I have my computer and desk. As I live alone and
    usually listen to material with a wide dynamic range I tend to listen at levels higher than most
    people would in a true office environment.

I shouldn't have called it an office really, it's not an accurate description of the space.

Were I to run the system "flat", I would have exactly the problem you describe. The 3x has a 'loudness' switch that boosts the bass relative to the treble, just a bit. That allows a more balanced perceived sound at the low levels I use. That capability
    went out of style more-or-less in the 1980s. The other option would be an outboard equalizer - overkill certainly, but an option.

I've been watching auctions for good quality EQs but unfortunately anything other than used
    gimmicky plastic 90s things (that people seem to ask new prices for) are well beyond my price range.

The 'disrupter' method, while cute, may require you to try many sorts of materials before you are satisfied and/or may require different materials based on the signal at hand. It does *work* however.

I did a bit of reading on the subject (mainly <http://www.bobhodas.com/examining-the-yamaha-ns-10m.php> ) and dismissed it - for now at least.

Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

in the DSM"
    David Melville

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Wieck@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 18 06:45:06 2020
    Please note the interpolations.

so there might be relevant info there. I'm using a very basic pre-amp with no tone controls and a certain Dynaco ST120 power amp. There is a pass-through crossover between the two taking everything below 70Hz to a 10" subwoofer as described in another
    post.

I see that. And you mentioned that the Sub amp has a level-control. Have you tried boosting that just a bit?

Were I to run the system "flat", I would have exactly the problem you describe. The 3x has a 'loudness' switch that boosts the bass relative to the treble, just a bit. That allows a more balanced perceived sound at the low levels I use. That
    capability went out of style more-or-less in the 1980s. The other option would be an outboard equalizer - overkill certainly, but an option.

I've been watching auctions for good quality EQs but unfortunately anything other than used
    gimmicky plastic 90s things (that people seem to ask new prices for) are well beyond my price range.

The SE-10 I mentioned came my way for $0, as it was perceived as totally dead from the BIN (Buy-it-Now) pile at Kutztown. You will notice that the fuse is inside... and missing in the example I found. As I have my original example purchased as a kit, I
    do not need two. So, to you it would be cost-of-shipping, not inconsiderable.

Getting back to your sub-amp. I am assuming that it is strapped for a single output at 300 watts into 4 ohms. For the record, driving 2N3773s in that configuration to 300 watts is wildly optimistic. Much as one *can* operate a Ford Focus engine at 6,000
    RPM - just not for very long. All that aside, I also understand that particular amp sometimes has a problem amplifying mains current hum? When I looked it up, I saw no associated power-supply (or, to be fair, no transformer) or diode/capacitor block.
    Just a "suggested power supply" http://home.alphalink.com.au/~cambie/PM300/PM300.htm I would also 'fix' the bias (replace the pots) for stability, once you are sure of the proper value(s). A number of US manufacturers used pots back in the day - and
    as the pots went open, all that magic smoke escaped. And given that device was designed c. 1980, that may be a consideration.

Cutting to the chase, try playing around with the bass output levels, and keep in mind that pretty much anything below 500 HZ is non-directional in any case - such that distance between the treble source and bass source (and you) are the governing
    factors, not direction. Leading to having the bass source, ideally, the same physical distance from your ears as the treble source. Do also verify phasing - speakers out-of-phase give all sorts of unhappy effects.

Some "stuff" on that: https://us.kef.com/blog/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-your-subwoofer-phase-and-positioning

Some further experimentation with placement may be in order.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Trevor Wilson@21:1/5 to dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com on Wed Feb 19 06:35:01 2020
    On 18/02/2020 9:27 am, dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 1:29:45 PM UTC-5, Trevor Wilson wrote:
    dissipated by the speakers in the high range, then too much energy is being >> dissipated in the high range.

Dick), then it is almost certainly a room problem.

AAT the kind of frequencies the original poster is talking
    about, it is almost certinaly NOT a room problem. It would
    be about the LAST thing I would go looking after.

**I've read the OP's words and there is ZERO reference to specific
    frequencies. The OP could be referring to frequencies around 3kHz for
    all any of us know. I see no measurements, nor anything else that could
    provide a starting point for investigations.

Room and speaker/room

interaction *IS*, by a very considerable margin, the dominant factor is
    perceived audible problems in an audio system.

Not at the kinds of high frequency (>10 kHz) the poster is taking
    about, no.

**I don't see how you can infer that >10kHz is the problem. >10kHz is
    NEVER, IME, a problem for anyone other than children.

In all the speakers I have measured in rooms, and that number is
    not inconsiderable, the higher frequencies, and especially that
    region around and above 10 kHz, shows the closest approach to the
    anechoice response of the loudspeaker.

**Sure, but you are assuming the OP knows that >10kHz is the problem. I
    posit that the likely problem frequencies are lower. MUCH lower.

Why? For it to be a room problem, you have to have a LOT of paths
    (and by "a lot", I mean the preponderance of all possible paths)
    whose length is proximal to whiole number multiples of eithe 1/4
    or 1/2 a wavelenngth to within a high degree of precision (maybe
    +- a few degrees total phase error), and we're talking wavelength
    on the order of an inch or less. Further, all these paths must have
    a very low total absorption along the paths.

I would suggest this will be a fruitless pursuit.

Now, if it was just a LITTLE lower in frequency, like a factor
    a hundred times lower, you might have a case.

**I will bet you that the problem can be solved using appropriate (and inexpensive) room treatments. It always is. Room effects dominate ANY
    system. And, frankly, I don't know why you are arguing this point with
    me. You know I am correct. What neither of us know, is the ACTUAL
    frequencies that are causing discomfort. I betcha it is somewhere around
    3kHz. After we see some measurements, then we will know for sure.

--
    Trevor Wilson
    www.rageaudio.com.au

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Trevor Wilson@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 19 06:41:45 2020
    On 18/02/2020 3:28 pm, ~misfit~ wrote:
    dissipated by the speakers in the high range, then too much energy is
    being dissipated in the high range. And, the brute fact of the matter
    is that there is not a whole lot going on above 15 kHz anyway. So if
    the OP perceives that his speakers are overly bright, we should start
    there.

A lot of the material I listen to is 'full range' and does have a
    reasonable amount of high frequency content.

(I was listening to the Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie album the
    other day and there were 'tinkling' noises in one track that I could
    hear but not clearly. It made me wonder why two 70 y/o plus musicians
    were using sounds that they likely couldn't hear!)

**Those "tinkling noises" you hear are somewhere around 3kHz. You need
    to employ some room treatments to deal with the problem.

I agree that attenuating the high range is not the answer. But neither
    is tweaking room acoustics. We need to work with the Human Ear and how
    we perceive sound at various volumes.

Which is why balancing the speaker output does seem to be an answer,
    especially given that one does not normally blast music in an office.
    At low volumes, in general, not enough energy gets to the bass
    driver(s) to balance the treble, especially as speaker efficiency
    drops. These are 88 dB speakers, not horrible, but not great either.

I do generally listen to music with a wide dynamic range so the volume
    is set higher than it would be if I were listening to compressed pop or
    rock music. I sometimes listen to music while computer gaming and it can
    be louder than you'd expect in an 'office'.

**Is the amplifier being allowed to enter Voltage limiting (aka:
    Clipping)? If so, then all bets are off. You may need an amplifier with
    more output Voltage capability.

I use the term 'office' loosely to mean the area of the house where my computer and desk are. It's a habit I picked up when I owned a small
    business and did my stocktaking and accounts etc. from a home office.

Eschew needless complexity. If the electronics have a "Loudness"
    function, start there. If they have tone-controls try *BOOSTING* the
    bass - again that nasty issue of low-volume weak bass is more at-issue
    than excess treble (at low volume). Failing both these things, is it
    possible to relocate the speakers, moving them more towards room
    corners, or closer to the floor, or similar so as to help 'boost' the
    bass response. However, this might sacrifice sound-stage.

The bass is good. I'm using a small kitset pre-amp with no tone controls which goes through a crossover in a second-hand kitset subwoofer
    amplifier. (Playmaster 300W Subwoofer Amplifier.) The crossover takes
    away all of signal below a certain point, sums it and feeds it to the
    300W MOSFET amp. It has three selectable crossover points and a level control.

**You're an Aussie then?

I've got it set to the lowest of the crossover points (which are 70, 90
    and 120Hz) as I want to preserve as much directional information from
    low frequencies as possible. The Sony SS-K30EDs seem to handle
    frequencies down to 70Hz just fine with minimal drop-off.

The subwoofer is a very inefficient thing that I built braced 25mm MDF a couple of decades ago. It's a 10" driver in a ~40l internally-braced
    sealed box and as such is very 'musical' when compared to ported
    subwoofers that I've heard. It's response tails off below about 26Hz but
    I'm fine with that.

Only after the obvious fixes have failed should we push towards more
    heroic measures.

Cheers,

**Room damping treatments and ensuring your amp is not clipping should
    go a long way to solving your problems. Give me a call. I'm in the book.

--
    Trevor Wilson
    www.rageaudio.com.au

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Trevor Wilson@21:1/5 to Trevor Wilson on Wed Feb 19 09:14:02 2020
    On 19/02/2020 6:41 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

**Those "tinkling noises" you hear are somewhere around 3kHz.

**Should read: "....somewhere around 3 ~ 5kHz."

Very few instruments possess fundamentals that reach 5kHz. A very tiny
    number posses harmonics of significant levels that exceed 10kHz.

Turn the volume down and see if the sound is still annoying. I suspect
    you are clipping your amplifier. Clipping can generate large amounts of
    high frequency harmonic content. And, just to shut down any myths you
    may have heard: Valve amplifiers WILL clip and WILL generate excessive
    high frequency harmonics if over-driven.

--
    Trevor Wilson
    www.rageaudio.com.au

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ~misfit~@21:1/5 to Peter Wieck on Wed Feb 19 14:21:16 2020
    On 19/02/2020 3:45 am, Peter Wieck wrote:
    Please note the interpolations.

so there might be relevant info there. I'm using a very basic pre-amp with no tone controls and a certain Dynaco ST120 power amp. There is a pass-through crossover between the two taking everything below 70Hz to a 10" subwoofer as described in another
    post.

I see that. And you mentioned that the Sub amp has a level-control. Have you tried boosting that just a bit?

Yes. I've tried boosting and dropping it. In fact I adjust it depending on source material. With
    older source material it sounds better with a slight boost, with more recently recorded stuff I
    drop the bass level a bit as it can become overpowering.

Were I to run the system "flat", I would have exactly the problem you describe. The 3x has a 'loudness' switch that boosts the bass relative to the treble, just a bit. That allows a more balanced perceived sound at the low levels I use. That
    capability went out of style more-or-less in the 1980s. The other option would be an outboard equalizer - overkill certainly, but an option.

The SE-10 I mentioned came my way for $0, as it was perceived as totally dead from the BIN (Buy-it-Now) pile at Kutztown. You will notice that the fuse is inside... and missing in the example I found. As I have my original example purchased as a kit, I
    do not need two. So, to you it would be cost-of-shipping, not inconsiderable.

Thanks for the kind offer.

Getting back to your sub-amp. I am assuming that it is strapped for a single output at 300 watts into 4 ohms.

320 watts into 4 ohms and 200 watts into 8.

For the record, driving 2N3773s in that configuration to 300 watts is wildly optimistic. Much as one *can* operate a Ford Focus engine at 6,000 RPM - just not for very long.

It uses three pairs of 2SK1058 / 2SJ162 TO-3P power MOSFETs.

All that aside, I also understand that particular amp sometimes has a problem amplifying mains current hum? When I looked it up, I saw no associated power-supply (or, to be fair, no transformer) or diode/capacitor block. Just a "suggested power supply"
    http://home.alphalink.com.au/~cambie/PM300/PM300.htm I would also 'fix' the bias (replace the pots) for stability, once you are sure of the proper value(s). A number of US manufacturers used pots back in the day - and as the pots went open, all that
    magic smoke escaped. And given that device was designed c. 1980, that may be a consideration.

That's a different amplifier. Unfortunately it seems they recycled the name. The unit I'm using was
    described in Electronics Australia 1995-04 and 1995-05 issues and was sold as a kitset through
    Jaycar Electronis and Dick Smith Electronics in Australia and New Zealand.

The power supply uses a 300 VA toroidial transformer and has 20,000uF of capacitance on each
    channel. The active crossover was previously released as a stand-alone kit (1994-09) but integrated
    into the same case as the power amp in this version.

I have pdfs of the magazines but can't find them hosted on-line anywhere.

Cutting to the chase, try playing around with the bass output levels, and keep in mind that pretty much anything below 500 HZ is non-directional in any case - such that distance between the treble source and bass source (and you) are the governing
    factors, not direction. Leading to having the bass source, ideally, the same physical distance from your ears as the treble source. Do also verify phasing - speakers out-of-phase give all sorts of unhappy effects.

Thanks. The sub is directly below the left channel (bookshelf) speaker, facing the same way. I've
    tried swapping the phase and it sounds best in-phase. The output from the subwoofer is more than
    enough (and I like good clean bass) so that the level control is rarely above ~85% - and that high
    only with material recorded in the 70s and early 80s (such as Rickie Lee Jones' eponymous album on CD).

I rarely have the issue of half-heard fatiguing highs on older material. It's mainly on stuff
    recorded after 2000 or so.

Some "stuff" on that: https://us.kef.com/blog/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-your-subwoofer-phase-and-positioning

Some further experimentation with placement may be in order.

I'm a bit limited within the space in which I use them but have experimented with toe-in and
    subwoofer placement and the current set up seems optimal - except for that annoying half-heard high
    frequency stuff. Maybe it's just that my age, the condition of my hearing and these otherwise
    excellent speakers aren't suited together?

That would be a shame as they are by far the most revealing and best imaging speakers that I own.

Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

in the DSM"
    David Melville

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ~misfit~@21:1/5 to Trevor Wilson on Wed Feb 19 15:02:39 2020
    On 19/02/2020 11:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

It seems to be higher.

FWIW I just did this on-line frequency hearing test: <http://onlinetonegenerator.com/hearingtest.html>
    and through my monitor-mounted Dell soundbar (with 25mm drivers) I could hear to just over 12.5kHz
    but through the stereo in question could only hear to about 11.5kHz. That's quite a bit lower than
    the last time I used a similar tool a few years back. Maybe those years when I spent hours several
    nights a week at a mixing desk at live (loud) gigs in my 20s are coming back to bite me?

So now I'm a bit baffled. The issue I have is due to sounds at the highest frequencies that I can
    hear and that seems to be ~11kHz with this system in the current configuration. Maybe they have a
    peak about there or are flatter than the other speakers I've tried...

Very few instruments possess fundamentals that reach 5kHz. A very tiny number posses harmonics of
    significant levels that exceed 10kHz.

Turn the volume down and see if the sound is still annoying. I suspect you are clipping your
    amplifier. Clipping can generate large amounts of high frequency harmonic content. And, just to
    shut down any myths you may have heard: Valve amplifiers WILL clip and WILL generate excessive high
    frequency harmonics if over-driven.

It's not clipping. The Dynaco ST120 I have hooked up at the moment is a solid-state amp and I no
    longer own any valve amps.

Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

in the DSM"
    David Melville

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ~misfit~@21:1/5 to dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com on Tue Feb 18 17:48:36 2020
    On 15/02/2020 10:05 am, dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 9:44:15 AM UTC-5, ~misfit~ wrote:
    I have a pair of 2-way speakers that I like very much - except they go too >> high and are too bright. They're Sony SSK-30s and otherwise make great
    near-field monitors in my office. They image and reproduce voice
    exceptionally well.

I'll be 60 next year and can't hear a huge amount above around 16 - 17 kHz. >> However they distract me too much with sounds that I can barely hear (no
    other
    speakers that I've heard lately do this). Because of this they're tiring to >> listen too. Sony sold them as being ideal for SACD and claim they go up to >> 70

So what can I add to the cross-over to attenuate the highest highs but leave >> the main body of the upper frequencies at the same level? A tiny inductor? >> Surely a resistor would drop all tweeter frequencies and mess with the
    balance?

I would posit that what you find irritating is not the presence of
    stuff above 15 kHz, but stuff below that. And if there IS a lot of
    HF material, especially extended bandwidth material (and I'd give
    at least even odds there is NOT), then what you are finding annoying
    is the result of some non-linear process in the speakers.

There is a lot of HF material in the music that I like. I guess the speakers could be non-linear in
    the high-end, they were sold as "ED" (for extended definition) and Sony says they go up to 70kHz.

These speakers have quite a following. In Japan (where they are finished in 'piano black' lacquer)
    they're sold singly and are often used for all positions in a home theatre.

They weren't a success when sold in the US so there were a lot of forum posts when Circuit City
    slashed the retail price of them to $60 or less a pair to clear the line in 2006.
    <https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/insignia-vs-sony-ss-k30ed-one-year-later.120083/#post-1273521>

<https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/60-00-pair-audiophile-speakers-from-sony.76953/>
    <https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/3duahs/sony_ssk30ed_bookshelf_speakers_from_mid2000s/>

I bought mine second-hand maybe two years ago. They had been used as monitors in an A/V recording
    studio for over 10 years and they were only selling as they were going to powered monitors so they
    could do away with their amplifier rack.

Sadly (for me) they were never sold cheaply here and, as everyone seems to live on the internet
    these days and can find reviews like the above, people selling them second-hand are asking crazy
    prices. I just saw four of them being sold for $600 last month and they had tears in the grilles
    and the vinyl covering wrinkling and bubbling so had likely been in sunlight for extended periods.
    They sold quite quickly.

To put it bluntly, I would not be the least bit surprised to find
    that something in your speakers (or, more generally, somewhere in
    your system) is broken. It could be a mechanical problem in the
    tweeters like a buzz or rattle problem, there could be some electronic
    issue somewhere, all of which is if there IS very high frequency
    information, generating signal at a level higher enough and a frequency
    low enough that it would be EASILY audible to you if isolated.

I've tried them with different amps, pre-amps and sources and the issue remains. There are no
    issues with the drivers or cabinets. I have had other people listen to them and they comment on how
    clear and bright the highs are.

That's the suspect I would be pursuing, knowing what I know about
    such things.

I appreciate your input.
    --
    Shaun.

in the DSM"
    David Melville

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ~misfit~@21:1/5 to Trevor Wilson on Tue Feb 18 16:18:13 2020
    On 15/02/2020 6:18 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
    On 12/02/2020 11:19 pm, ~misfit~ wrote:
    I have a pair of 2-way speakers that I like very much - except they go too >> high and are too bright. They're Sony SSK-30s and otherwise make great
    near-field monitors in my office. They image and reproduce voice
    exceptionally
    well.

I'll be 60 next year and can't hear a huge amount above around 16 - 17 kHz. >> However they distract me too much with sounds that I can barely hear (no
    other
    speakers that I've heard lately do this). Because of this they're tiring to >> listen too. Sony sold them as being ideal for SACD and claim they go up to >> 70

So what can I add to the cross-over to attenuate the highest highs but leave >> the main body of the upper frequencies at the same level? A tiny inductor? >> Surely a resistor would drop all tweeter frequencies and mess with the
    balance?

I have other speakers I could use but these just sound so damn good
    otherwise.
    Re-discovering music from my past through these is amazing, music I've been >> listening to for decades has new stuff in it... (A cliche but very true in >> this case.)

few
    days but they are lacking in the very upper frequencies (likely due to the >> 32mm SEAS tweeter). I want the highs to be there but not in a piercing way.

That should have read 36mm (1 1/2") SEAS tweeter, the same H-087 Alnico magnet driver that was used
    in the Dynaco A25 and A35 speakers.

Input appreciated.
    --
    Shaun.

**If your hearing is attenuated at HF, then you don't need to further attenuate HF (assuming the
    speaker has been competently designed). You've already stated that you can't hear anything above 16
    ~ 17kHz. Perhaps you should consider room effects. Have you measured the in-room response?

The speakers HAVE been competently designed. Sony still sell these SS-K30EDs in Japan (albeit with
    a 'piano black' finish rather than my vinyl-wrapped version) and they're still popular. Also I've
    checked them to the best of my ability (I often open older speakers and rotate woofers 180 degrees
    to combat sag in the suspension) and they seem to be in perfect condition.

My hearing is attenuated above about 16 - 17 kHz. However it's not a clean shut-off. More like a 6
    db/octave slope. I have trouble hearing quiet test-tones but a lot of what I listen to seems to
    have quite a bit of high energy high frequency content. As I can barely hear it it makes me strain
    to do so, which is fatiguing. Also I keep checking if there's someone at the door or things going
    on in the back yard etc.
    --
    Shaun.

in the DSM"
    David Melville

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ~misfit~@21:1/5 to Trevor Wilson on Wed Feb 19 14:28:53 2020
    On 19/02/2020 8:41 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
    I think you are missing the point. If too much energy is being dissipated by the speakers in the
    high range, then too much energy is being dissipated in the high range. And, the brute fact of
    the matter is that there is not a whole lot going on above 15 kHz anyway. So if the OP perceives
    that his speakers are overly bright, we should start there.

A lot of the material I listen to is 'full range' and does have a reasonable amount of high
    frequency content.

(I was listening to the Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie album the other day and there were
    'tinkling' noises in one track that I could hear but not clearly. It made me wonder why two 70
    y/o plus musicians were using sounds that they likely couldn't hear!)

**Those "tinkling noises" you hear are somewhere around 3kHz. You need to employ some room
    treatments to deal with the problem.

They sure don't seem to be and I don't have an analyser.

I agree that attenuating the high range is not the answer. But neither is tweaking room
    acoustics. We need to work with the Human Ear and how we perceive sound at various volumes.

Which is why balancing the speaker output does seem to be an answer, especially given that one
    does not normally blast music in an office. At low volumes, in general, not enough energy gets
    to the bass driver(s) to balance the treble, especially as speaker efficiency drops. These are
    88 dB speakers, not horrible, but not great either.

I do generally listen to music with a wide dynamic range so the volume is set higher than it
    would be if I were listening to compressed pop or rock music. I sometimes listen to music while
    computer gaming and it can be louder than you'd expect in an 'office'.

**Is the amplifier being allowed to enter Voltage limiting (aka: Clipping)? If so, then all bets
    are off. You may need an amplifier with more output Voltage capability.

It's not clipping. I've tried different power amps and the problem is with the speakers.

I use the term 'office' loosely to mean the area of the house where my computer and desk are.
    It's a habit I picked up when I owned a small business and did my stocktaking and accounts etc.
    from a home office.

Eschew needless complexity. If the electronics have a "Loudness" function, start there. If they
    have tone-controls try *BOOSTING* the bass - again that nasty issue of low-volume weak bass is
    more at-issue than excess treble (at low volume). Failing both these things, is it possible to
    relocate the speakers, moving them more towards room corners, or closer to the floor, or similar
    so as to help 'boost' the bass response. However, this might sacrifice sound-stage.

The bass is good. I'm using a small kitset pre-amp with no tone controls which goes through a
    crossover in a second-hand kitset subwoofer amplifier. (Playmaster 300W Subwoofer Amplifier.) The
    crossover takes away all of signal below a certain point, sums it and feeds it to the 300W MOSFET
    amp. It has three selectable crossover points and a level control.

**You're an Aussie then?

I live in South Auckland.

I've got it set to the lowest of the crossover points (which are 70, 90 and 120Hz) as I want to
    preserve as much directional information from low frequencies as possible. The Sony SS-K30EDs
    seem to handle frequencies down to 70Hz just fine with minimal drop-off.

The subwoofer is a very inefficient thing that I built braced 25mm MDF a couple of decades ago.
    It's a 10" driver in a ~40l internally-braced sealed box and as such is very 'musical' when
    compared to ported subwoofers that I've heard. It's response tails off below about 26Hz but I'm
    fine with that.

**Room damping treatments and ensuring your amp is not clipping should go a long way to solving
    your problems. Give me a call. I'm in the book.

Thanks for the input Trevor. I live in rental accommodation and am 'under the sword' - the property
    could be sold to developers at any time and I'll need to find somewhere else to live. (It's been
    that way since the landlord warned me a year ago and there's a housing shortage here.) So I'm not
    that keen on spending too much effort on room treatments. More pressing is selling the
    surplus-to-requirements speakers and old Thinkpads etc. that are filling the back bedroom!

Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

in the DSM"
    David Melville

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Trevor Wilson@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 20 08:44:16 2020
    On 19/02/2020 1:02 pm, ~misfit~ wrote:

It seems to be higher.

**Until it has been measured, then we're both guessing. Few instruments
    go as high as 5kHz. There is almost nothing beyond 10kHz in any music.

FWIW I just did this on-line frequency hearing test: <http://onlinetonegenerator.com/hearingtest.html>
    and through my monitor-mounted Dell soundbar (with 25mm drivers) I could
    hear to just over 12.5kHz but through the stereo in question could only
    hear to about 11.5kHz. That's quite a bit lower than the last time I
    used a similar tool a few years back. Maybe those years when I spent
    hours several nights a week at a mixing desk at live (loud) gigs in my
    20s are coming back to bite me?

So now I'm a bit baffled. The issue I have is due to sounds at the
    highest frequencies that I can hear and that seems to be ~11kHz with
    this system in the current configuration. Maybe they have a peak about
    there or are flatter than the other speakers I've tried...

**Until you perform some measurements, you're guessing. You could try to acquire a (preferably digital) parametric equaliser and perform some measurements.

I still betcha room treatments will solve your problems. IME (which is substantial), room treatments solve most mid-HF problems, PROVIDED there
    is nothing inherently wrong with the equipment, or the amp is not being clipped.

Very few instruments possess fundamentals that reach 5kHz. A very tiny
    number posses harmonics of significant levels that exceed 10kHz.

Turn the volume down and see if the sound is still annoying. I suspect
    you are clipping your amplifier. Clipping can generate large amounts
    of high frequency harmonic content. And, just to shut down any myths
    you may have heard: Valve amplifiers WILL clip and WILL generate
    excessive high frequency harmonics if over-driven.

It's not clipping. The Dynaco ST120 I have hooked up at the moment is a solid-state amp and I no longer own any valve amps.

**You've checked with a 'scope to ensure no clipping then? Or are you
    guessing again? It might worth looking at the waveform on a 'scope to
    see if there are no parasitics present.

--
    Trevor Wilson
    www.rageaudio.com.au

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Trevor Wilson@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 20 08:57:21 2020
    On 19/02/2020 12:28 pm, ~misfit~ wrote:
    dissipated by the speakers in the high range, then too much energy
    is being dissipated in the high range. And, the brute fact of the
    matter is that there is not a whole lot going on above 15 kHz
    anyway. So if the OP perceives that his speakers are overly bright,
    we should start there.

A lot of the material I listen to is 'full range' and does have a
    reasonable amount of high frequency content.

(I was listening to the Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie album the
    other day and there were 'tinkling' noises in one track that I could
    hear but not clearly. It made me wonder why two 70 y/o plus musicians
    were using sounds that they likely couldn't hear!)

**Those "tinkling noises" you hear are somewhere around 3kHz. You need
    to employ some room treatments to deal with the problem.

**They will, almost certainly, be below 5kHz.

I agree that attenuating the high range is not the answer. But
    neither is tweaking room acoustics. We need to work with the Human
    Ear and how we perceive sound at various volumes.

Which is why balancing the speaker output does seem to be an answer,
    especially given that one does not normally blast music in an
    office. At low volumes, in general, not enough energy gets to the
    bass driver(s) to balance the treble, especially as speaker
    efficiency drops. These are 88 dB speakers, not horrible, but not
    great either.

I do generally listen to music with a wide dynamic range so the
    volume is set higher than it would be if I were listening to
    compressed pop or rock music. I sometimes listen to music while

**Is the amplifier being allowed to enter Voltage limiting (aka:
    Clipping)? If so, then all bets are off. You may need an amplifier
    with more output Voltage capability.

It's not clipping.

**How do you know?

I've tried different power amps and the problem is
    with the speakers.

**Again: How do you know? How do you know that the room is not the problem?

I use the term 'office' loosely to mean the area of the house where
    my computer and desk are. It's a habit I picked up when I owned a
    small business and did my stocktaking and accounts etc. from a home
    office.

Eschew needless complexity. If the electronics have a "Loudness"
    function, start there. If they have tone-controls try *BOOSTING* the
    bass - again that nasty issue of low-volume weak bass is more
    at-issue than excess treble (at low volume). Failing both these
    things, is it possible to relocate the speakers, moving them more
    towards room corners, or closer to the floor, or similar so as to
    help 'boost' the bass response. However, this might sacrifice
    sound-stage.

The bass is good. I'm using a small kitset pre-amp with no tone
    controls which goes through a crossover in a second-hand kitset
    subwoofer amplifier. (Playmaster 300W Subwoofer Amplifier.) The
    crossover takes away all of signal below a certain point, sums it and
    feeds it to the 300W MOSFET amp. It has three selectable crossover
    points and a level control.

**You're an Aussie then?

**Ah. We Aussies always forget about our Eastern state. :-)

I've got it set to the lowest of the crossover points (which are 70,
    90 and 120Hz) as I want to preserve as much directional information
    from low frequencies as possible. The Sony SS-K30EDs seem to handle
    frequencies down to 70Hz just fine with minimal drop-off.

The subwoofer is a very inefficient thing that I built braced 25mm
    MDF a couple of decades ago. It's a 10" driver in a ~40l
    internally-braced sealed box and as such is very 'musical' when
    compared to ported subwoofers that I've heard. It's response tails
    off below about 26Hz but I'm fine with that.

Only after the obvious fixes have failed should we push towards more
    heroic measures.

**Room damping treatments and ensuring your amp is not clipping should
    go a long way to solving your problems. Give me a call. I'm in the book.

Thanks for the input Trevor. I live in rental accommodation and am
    'under the sword' - the property could be sold to developers at any time
    and I'll need to find somewhere else to live. (It's been that way since
    the landlord warned me a year ago and there's a housing shortage here.)
    So I'm not that keen on spending too much effort on room treatments.
    More pressing is selling the surplus-to-requirements speakers and old Thinkpads etc. that are filling the back bedroom!

**Room treatments can be VERY, VERY cheap and easy to apply
    (temporarily). Old rugs, mattresses, etc work just fine. In fact, back
    in the 1990s, I took part in a couple of hi fi shows in Las Vegas. At
    one show, some other Aussies (Krix Loudspeakers) had their room near to
    mine. Their room possessed extremely poor acoustics and the guys set
    about to rectify the situation as quickly and inexpensively as possible.
    They used some old cardboard boxes, duct tape, a Doona™ cover and some Dacron™. They constructed a false 'wall' from the cardboard and duct
    tape, measuring around 3.5 Metres X 2.5 Metres X 400mm. They filled it
    with the Dacron™ and covered the whole thing with the Doona™ cover (for appropriate cosmetic effect). Problem solved at the cost of some Dacron™
    and a roll of duct tape.

I would encourage you to try room treatments, before you spend too much
    time, money and effort on other things.

--
    Trevor Wilson
    www.rageaudio.com.au

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ~misfit~@21:1/5 to Trevor Wilson on Thu Feb 20 13:46:47 2020
    On 20/02/2020 10:57 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
    On 19/02/2020 12:28 pm, ~misfit~ wrote:
    I think you are missing the point. If too much energy is being dissipated by the speakers in
    the high range, then too much energy is being dissipated in the high range. And, the brute
    fact of the matter is that there is not a whole lot going on above 15 kHz anyway. So if the OP
    perceives that his speakers are overly bright, we should start there. >>>>
    frequency content.

'tinkling' noises in one track that I could hear but not clearly. It made me wonder why two 70
    y/o plus musicians were using sounds that they likely couldn't hear!)

**Those "tinkling noises" you hear are somewhere around 3kHz. You need to employ some room
    treatments to deal with the problem.

**They will, almost certainly, be below 5kHz.

I might have to look for a phone ap. That said my low-end Samsung phone is very low on storage
    space, I've had to delete apps recently...

I agree that attenuating the high range is not the answer. But neither is tweaking room
    acoustics. We need to work with the Human Ear and how we perceive sound at various volumes.

Which is why balancing the speaker output does seem to be an answer, especially given that one
    does not normally blast music in an office. At low volumes, in general, not enough energy gets
    to the bass driver(s) to balance the treble, especially as speaker efficiency drops. These are
    88 dB speakers, not horrible, but not great either.

I do generally listen to music with a wide dynamic range so the volume is set higher than it
    would be if I were listening to compressed pop or rock music. I sometimes listen to music while

**Is the amplifier being allowed to enter Voltage limiting (aka: Clipping)? If so, then all bets
    are off. You may need an amplifier with more output Voltage capability.

It's not clipping.

**How do you know?

I don't KNOW per se but I've used different amps and I don't listen at volumes above about 50%.

I've tried different power amps and the problem is
    with the speakers.

**Again: How do you know? How do you know that the room is not the problem?

As I mentioned elsewhere I've tried these speakers in different rooms including my very 'soft'
    bedroom and the problem follows them.

I use the term 'office' loosely to mean the area of the house where my computer and desk are.
    It's a habit I picked up when I owned a small business and did my stocktaking and accounts etc.
    from a home office.

Eschew needless complexity. If the electronics have a "Loudness" function, start there. If
    they have tone-controls try *BOOSTING* the bass - again that nasty issue of low-volume weak
    bass is more at-issue than excess treble (at low volume). Failing both these things, is it
    possible to relocate the speakers, moving them more towards room corners, or closer to the
    floor, or similar so as to help 'boost' the bass response. However, this might sacrifice
    sound-stage.

crossover in a second-hand kitset subwoofer amplifier. (Playmaster 300W Subwoofer Amplifier.)
    The crossover takes away all of signal below a certain point, sums it and feeds it to the 300W
    MOSFET amp. It has three selectable crossover points and a level control. >>>
    **You're an Aussie then?

**Ah. We Aussies always forget about our Eastern state. :-)

Heh!

preserve as much directional information from low frequencies as possible. The Sony SS-K30EDs
    seem to handle frequencies down to 70Hz just fine with minimal drop-off. >>>>
    fine with that.

**Room damping treatments and ensuring your amp is not clipping should go a long way to solving
    your problems. Give me a call. I'm in the book.

Thanks for the input Trevor. I live in rental accommodation and am 'under the sword' - the
    property could be sold to developers at any time and I'll need to find somewhere else to live.
    (It's been that way since the landlord warned me a year ago and there's a housing shortage here.)
    So I'm not that keen on spending too much effort on room treatments. More pressing is selling the
    surplus-to-requirements speakers and old Thinkpads etc. that are filling the back bedroom!

**Room treatments can be VERY, VERY cheap and easy to apply (temporarily). Old rugs, mattresses,
    etc work just fine. In fact, back in the 1990s, I took part in a couple of hi fi shows in Las
    Vegas. At one show, some other Aussies (Krix Loudspeakers) had their room near to mine. Their room
    possessed extremely poor acoustics and the guys set about to rectify the situation as quickly and
    inexpensively as possible. They used some old cardboard boxes, duct tape, a Doona™ cover and some
    Dacron™. They constructed a false 'wall' from the cardboard and duct tape, measuring around 3.5
    Metres X 2.5 Metres X 400mm. They filled it with the Dacron™ and covered the whole thing with the
    Doona™ cover (for appropriate cosmetic effect). Problem solved at the cost of some Dacron™ and a
    roll of duct tape.

I would encourage you to try room treatments, before you spend too much time, money and effort on
    other things.

Cheers. I fondly remember the 'listening room' in a flat I was in a few decades back. All of the
    walls above chair-height were covered in op-shop blankets / duvets then covered in egg trays
    (mainly to disguise the mismatched blankets). We also had double-layer egg trays on the ceiling.

My flatmate had a good turntable, (as well as tone arm, cart and stylus) that was made from a solid
    block of marble, all really expensive by our standards. I forget the make or model. As long as the
    source is good I've always been about the speakers and to a lesser extent amplification. Then (and
    especially these days) I believe the biggest gains in a system can usually be made with the choice,
    design and placement of speakers.

Shaun.

in the DSM"
    David Melville

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Wieck@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 20 05:18:08 2020
    Snark Warning!

As it happens, and apart from (very) exceptional room acoustics, your dilemma was addressed quite specifically by no less than Acoustic Research and Edgar Villchur back in the dim and distant 1960s. And, much of the ARs designs historically were based on
    solving placement issues.

All of the above based on minimum 8"/200 mm woofers and against the wall in "conventional" box-type front-firing speakers. Smaller woofers are hopeless in delivering clean bass unless in many multiples - which brings on more problems than it solves.

As follows:

Starting on the LONG wall of the listening room:

a) Place speaker A at the 1/4 point from one corner. Makes no difference which. The woofer should be at least one (1) woofer diameter off the floor - making the center-line at 1.5 diameters. The tweets should be IN or UP.
    b) Place speaker B at the 1/3 point from the opposite corner.
    c) While playing a full-range, well-recorded, familiar signal at normal/slightly lower volume, tweak Speaker B to achieve the best sound-stage. 95% of the time, B will move closer to A. Starting out, your sound-stage will be ~2/3 as wide as the distance
    between the speakers and about as deep as half the distance between them.
    d) Once you have achieved a comfortable sound-stage, tweak either/both speaker heights to achieve the best possible signal balance. If you have wide-dispersion (as in dome) tweets (and, ideally mid-ranges) *YOUR* ear level will not be critical.

And, this should do it - excepting very strange rooms or strangely shaped rooms.

Notes:

1. At no time should the speakers be symmetrical on a given wall _UNLESS_ there is something between them (such as a fireplace) that renders their relationship asymmetrical within the room. Symmetrical placement invites standing waves, cancellation waves
    and other forms of interference. For the same reason, no speaker should be placed at a mind-point between two walls.
    2. Exactly the same exercise obtains on the short wall, except that bass will be enhanced, sometimes too much.

3. Exactly the same exercise obtains from the ceiling rather than the floor - but the speakers should be bass-up if vertical in that exercise. No change if on their sides - tweets in.

4. With good speakers (clean response curve) final placement will very much depend on the listener and his/her preferences. And, therefore why the exercise should be with all settings "FLAT" and with familiar and full-range signal. Changes from a good
    start will not require changes in speaker location(s).

And to repeat: NOT SYMMETRICAL!

Once you have found a configuration that pleases you - give it a week. Mark the locations in some way, then start over but with a different signal. If you wind up at the same points, you are done. And, of course, inches do make a difference - and why you
    should give it time until you are very happy with the result.

Side note: AR added a center-channel to its flagship receiver as back when stereo was "new", recording engineers often exaggerated separation as an "Oh, WOW!" factor. And David Hafler designed the Hafler Circuit to address that issue, which evolved into
    the Poor Man's Quadraphonic system. Be careful that the signal you use is well engineered *and* well recorded.

This pretty much summarizes my approach to speaker placement. There are overly bright rooms, there are overly dull rooms. But in the typical household, they are the rare exception. For the most part, speaker placement is bunged by practical needs such as
    'the speakers can't go there because...', there by requiring compromises, not always pleasant. And in the case of Shaun's speaker/amp/sub-woofer system, I expect that electronic equalization will be the most practical solution, and also the most
    transferable of the options should he have to move. I admit to keeping an equalizer - but it hardly gets used as I am also blessed with an understanding wife who allows me to put the speakers where they 'want' to be in both listening areas. That one pair
    are Maggies makes her even more remarkable.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ~misfit~@21:1/5 to Trevor Wilson on Thu Feb 20 13:05:09 2020
    On 20/02/2020 10:44 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

It seems to be higher.

**Until it has been measured, then we're both guessing. Few instruments go as high as 5kHz. There
    is almost nothing beyond 10kHz in any music.

FWIW I just did this on-line frequency hearing test:
    <http://onlinetonegenerator.com/hearingtest.html>
    and through my monitor-mounted Dell soundbar (with 25mm drivers) I could hear to just over
    12.5kHz but through the stereo in question could only hear to about 11.5kHz. That's quite a bit
    lower than the last time I used a similar tool a few years back. Maybe those years when I spent
    hours several nights a week at a mixing desk at live (loud) gigs in my 20s are coming back to
    bite me?

So now I'm a bit baffled. The issue I have is due to sounds at the highest frequencies that I can
    hear and that seems to be ~11kHz with this system in the current configuration. Maybe they have a
    peak about there or are flatter than the other speakers I've tried...

**Until you perform some measurements, you're guessing. You could try to acquire a (preferably
    digital) parametric equaliser and perform some measurements.

I still betcha room treatments will solve your problems. IME (which is substantial), room
    treatments solve most mid-HF problems, PROVIDED there is nothing inherently wrong with the
    equipment, or the amp is not being clipped.

Very few instruments possess fundamentals that reach 5kHz. A very tiny number posses harmonics
    of significant levels that exceed 10kHz.

Turn the volume down and see if the sound is still annoying. I suspect you are clipping your
    amplifier. Clipping can generate large amounts of high frequency harmonic content. And, just to
    shut down any myths you may have heard: Valve amplifiers WILL clip and WILL generate excessive
    high frequency harmonics if over-driven.

It's not clipping. The Dynaco ST120 I have hooked up at the moment is a solid-state amp and I no
    longer own any valve amps.

**You've checked with a 'scope to ensure no clipping then? Or are you guessing again? It might
    worth looking at the waveform on a 'scope to see if there are no parasitics present.

Of course I'm guessing. I know this is rec.audio.high-end but I don't have (or have access to) a
    parametric equaliser or an o'scope. When I say I'm not listening at low 'office level' volumes I
    also don't mean ear-bleeding party volumes. Maybe somewhere in the 'half volume' range on a 60 - 80
    wpc amp... I've currently got a Marantz Stereo Reciever SR4023 hooked up set to 'flat' (it has a
    pre/power loop for the subwoofer amp) and the issue is the same - but the amp belongs elsewhere.

However I have used these speakers with a few different amplifiers, (from 25 watts /channel class A
    up to 160 w/c RMS) and at different volumes and in different locations and the issue I perceive
    persists.

I realise that without measuring we're all making educated guesses. Really I just wanted to know
    what to add to the speaker crossovers / tweeter wires to attenuate frequencies above say 10kHz by
    maybe 3db (and not attenuate the crucial frequencies where female vocals and the upper reaches of
    electric guitar solos and harmonics reside).
    --
    Shaun.

in the DSM"
    David Melville

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Trevor Wilson@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 21 05:01:46 2020
    On 20/02/2020 11:05 am, ~misfit~ wrote:
    On 20/02/2020 10:44 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

It seems to be higher.

**Until it has been measured, then we're both guessing. Few
    instruments go as high as 5kHz. There is almost nothing beyond 10kHz
    in any music.

FWIW I just did this on-line frequency hearing test:
    <http://onlinetonegenerator.com/hearingtest.html>
    and through my monitor-mounted Dell soundbar (with 25mm drivers) I
    could hear to just over 12.5kHz but through the stereo in question
    could only hear to about 11.5kHz. That's quite a bit lower than the
    last time I used a similar tool a few years back. Maybe those years
    when I spent hours several nights a week at a mixing desk at live
    (loud) gigs in my 20s are coming back to bite me?

So now I'm a bit baffled. The issue I have is due to sounds at the
    highest frequencies that I can hear and that seems to be ~11kHz with
    this system in the current configuration. Maybe they have a peak
    about there or are flatter than the other speakers I've tried...

**Until you perform some measurements, you're guessing. You could try
    to acquire a (preferably digital) parametric equaliser and perform
    some measurements.

I still betcha room treatments will solve your problems. IME (which is
    substantial), room treatments solve most mid-HF problems, PROVIDED
    there is nothing inherently wrong with the equipment, or the amp is
    not being clipped.

Very few instruments possess fundamentals that reach 5kHz. A very
    tiny number posses harmonics of significant levels that exceed 10kHz.

Turn the volume down and see if the sound is still annoying. I
    suspect you are clipping your amplifier. Clipping can generate large
    amounts of high frequency harmonic content. And, just to shut down
    any myths you may have heard: Valve amplifiers WILL clip and WILL
    generate excessive high frequency harmonics if over-driven.

It's not clipping. The Dynaco ST120 I have hooked up at the moment is
    a solid-state amp and I no longer own any valve amps.

**You've checked with a 'scope to ensure no clipping then? Or are you
    guessing again? It might worth looking at the waveform on a 'scope to
    see if there are no parasitics present.

Of course I'm guessing. I know this is rec.audio.high-end but I don't
    have (or have access to) a parametric equaliser or an o'scope. When I
    say I'm not listening at low 'office level' volumes I also don't mean ear-bleeding party volumes. Maybe somewhere in the 'half volume' range
    on a 60 - 80 wpc amp... I've currently got a Marantz Stereo Reciever
    SR4023 hooked up set to 'flat' (it has a pre/power loop for the
    subwoofer amp) and the issue is the same - but the amp belongs elsewhere.

However I have used these speakers with a few different amplifiers,
    (from 25 watts /channel class A up to 160 w/c RMS) and at different
    volumes and in different locations and the issue I perceive persists.

I realise that without measuring we're all making educated guesses.
    Really I just wanted to know what to add to the speaker crossovers /
    tweeter wires to attenuate frequencies above say 10kHz by maybe 3db (and
    not attenuate the crucial frequencies where female vocals and the upper reaches of electric guitar solos and harmonics reside).

**Without proper measurements, we are all still guessing. However,
    should you wish to perform some experiments and spend a little money,
    this product MAY solve some or all your problems:

https://www.behringer.com/Categories/Behringer/Signal-Processors/Equalizers/DEQ2496/p/P0146#googtrans(en|en)

Even at the retail price of around AUS$600.00, it delivers phenomenal performance for the money.

Fortunately, the products are easy to find on the second hand market.
    Prices tend to be quite low.

Here is one I found on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Behringer-Ultracurve-Pro-DEQ2496-24bit-96kHz-parametric-graphic-equalizer-CLEAN/264639370704?epid=1120285389&hash=item3d9dbc55d0:g:MfAAAOSwfOBeTBi8

To put that price into perspective, I recently sold an analogue
    parametric EQ for AUS$500.00. For some reason, some people prefer the
    old, far less powerful and far less flexible, analogue EQs. I've used
    Behringer products many times and, while they're not perfect, they
    generally deliver excellent performance for the money. A parametric EQ
    is a very powerful tool. A digital parametric, like the Behringer, much
    more so. You can zero in on a very narrow band of frequencies and notch
    any problems out. Like all EQs, you can also misuse them.

--
    Trevor Wilson
    www.rageaudio.com.au

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Wieck@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 21 04:37:49 2020
    I have to question the suggestion of a device with exclusively XLR inputs and outputs (1/4" phone jacks for auxiliary output) for a non-commercial Audio 2.0 application.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Trevor Wilson@21:1/5 to Peter Wieck on Sat Feb 22 06:57:59 2020
    On 21/02/2020 11:37 pm, Peter Wieck wrote:
    I have to question the suggestion of a device with exclusively XLR inputs and outputs (1/4" phone jacks for auxiliary output) for a non-commercial Audio 2.0 application.

**Why? XLRs are very good connectors. They're robust, easy to wire up
    and earth makes first and breaks last. Adapters are easy to source.

--
    Trevor Wilson
    www.rageaudio.com.au

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Wieck@21:1/5 to Trevor Wilson on Fri Feb 21 12:48:32 2020
    On Friday, February 21, 2020 at 3:36:32 PM UTC-5, Trevor Wilson wrote:

Because:

The system in question is a home audio system.
    The system in question is quite vintage, using RCA jacks exclusively.
    The individual asking for suggestions is of limited means, physically and, likely, financially.
    The individual in question may have to move on short notice.
    Adapters may be easy to source, but that does not make the cost of the equalizer together with the four (4) adapter needed cheap.

Generally, when giving advice, it is both courteous and common sense to make the suggestions fit the conditions at hand, and not add needless levels of complexity.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Trevor Wilson@21:1/5 to Peter Wieck on Sun Feb 23 05:37:59 2020
    On 22/02/2020 7:48 am, Peter Wieck wrote:
    On Friday, February 21, 2020 at 3:36:32 PM UTC-5, Trevor Wilson wrote:

Because:

The system in question is a home audio system.

**Irrelevant. XLRs are VERY common in higher end domestic systems. XLRs
    are an entirely appropriate connector and inexpensive.

The system in question is quite vintage, using RCA jacks exclusively.

**Sure. Most are. However, 2 female and 2 male XLR connectors/adapters
    are not a crazy idea.

The individual asking for suggestions is of limited means, physically and, likely, financially.

**Possibly. Which is why I pointed to an eBay sale. The Behringer is a
    cheap option and, IME, cheaper than a quality, analogue, paramtetric EQ.
    Either way, I already provided the most suitable solution, which could
    cost almost nothing - room treatments. Room treatements will almost
    certainly solve the problem.

The individual in question may have to move on short notice.

**Irrelevant. XLRs can be disconnected and re-connected as rapidly as RCAs.

Adapters may be easy to source, but that does not make the cost of the equalizer together with the four (4) adapter needed cheap.

**Sure. However, a standard 10 band EQ is almost a waste of time. At the
    very minimum, a parametric EQ is the only item worth bothering with.
    Parametric (analogue) EQs tend to be expensive, unless one is looking
    for a digital parametric EQ. I related a story about an ancient,
    analogue parametric I recently bought and re-sold for a substantial sum.
    A second hand Behringer can be a much cheaper option. And one that has
    some significant advantages. That said, I will stand by my original
    suggestion - room treatments are the best option. They can be cheap,
    effective and easily removable.

Generally, when giving advice, it is both courteous and common sense to make the suggestions fit the conditions at hand, and not add needless levels of complexity.

**I agree. Room treatments will be, by a long margin, the best option.

--
    Trevor Wilson
    www.rageaudio.com.au

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Trevor Wilson@21:1/5 to Peter Wieck on Mon Feb 24 09:46:31 2020
    On 21/02/2020 12:18 am, Peter Wieck wrote:
    Snark Warning!

This pretty much summarizes my approach to speaker placement. There are overly bright rooms,

**Yep. And these are, far and away, the worst rooms for listening to
    reproduced music.

there are overly dull rooms.

**Ummm, no. The BEST room to hear a music reproduction system in is an
    anechoic (or, more properly: Near anechoic) room. I've done so on
    several occasions and it never fails to demonstrate just how vital room reflections are to destroying the integrity of recorded music.

But in the typical household, they are the rare exception. For the
    most part, speaker placement is bunged by practical needs such as 'the
    speakers can't go there because...', there by requiring compromises, not
    always pleasant. And in the case of Shaun's speaker/amp/sub-woofer
    system, I expect that electronic equalization will be the most practical solution, and also the most transferable of the options should he have
    to move. I admit to keeping an equalizer - but it hardly gets used as I
    am also blessed with an understanding wife who allows me to put the
    speakers where they 'want' to be in both listening areas. That one pair
    are Maggies makes her even more remarkable.

**Maggies are particularly critical WRT placement and room effects, due
    to the bipolar nature of the sound.

--
    Trevor Wilson
    www.rageaudio.com.au

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05