• Musings on the 2022 Daytime Emmy Awards aka the General Hospital Invita

From Lynn Kelly@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 25 16:53:51 2022
    It has been a while since I watched the Emmys and this is the first live, in-person event since it was suspended in 2020 due to COVID-19. I expected to see some excitement and joy from the daytime community since they haven't socialized with each other
    in a while. It was appointment TV and I tuned into CBS a minute before the awards show aired.

When it started with the subdue music, I thought I had tuned into a wake. Who died? The careers of the people who produced this bomb perhaps. I recognize the male host as Kevin Frasier but didn't know the female host. She told the audience she picked out
    her evening gown for the show. Um, since she is an adult, who else would choose her wardrobe for her? Her mother? Her SO? Her stylist? Her publicist? The joke bombed as I didn't hear laughter.

The second bomb went off when the camera focused on the soap stars' faces and displayed thought bubbles which weren't funny as the stars looked like deers staring at oncoming headlights. Maybe the producers should've inform the stars about the comedic
    bit in advance so they may play along and emote the appropriate facial expressions.

I was tempted to call the bomb squad and warned them to evacuate the Pasadena Convention Center before more bombs denotate. Then I realized the show was tape delayed and the carnage had occurred and I can't help them. Oh, the inhumanity. If only I had a
    TARDIS like the Doctor.

Congratulations General Hospital for winning back to back to back categories in the early part of the show. Tonight might be your night. When the winners walked up to accept their awards, would it be too much to hear the theme music of the show which won
    the category? I rarely watch GH but enough to know its theme music wasn't played when the winners walked up. When Drew Carey was introduced as a presenter, the theme music of "The Price Is Right" played. Same for Natalie Morales and Jerry O' Connell from
    "The Talk". Did CBS mandate only theme music from CBS shows shall be played? Another bomb went off.

I was nodding off until the show hosted by Robin Roberts won for Outstanding Talk Show and its Executive Producer told viewers she's Afro-Latinx and gave a joyful acceptance speech in Spanish and English. Thank you for raising the energy level of the
    room because the show was flatlining, IMO.

One thing the show did right is showing a clip of the late Betty White giving her acceptance speech at a previous Emmy during the In Memorium segment. She is truly a legend in life and in death, IMO.

Congratulations to John McCook for winning for Outstanding Lead Actor. I can't believe it's his first Emmy. He truly earned it for overcoming Bradley Bell's atrocious writing of Eric asking Carter to service Quinn, Eric's wife. McCook thanked Bradley
    Bell and acknowledged the story was controversial. What I wanted him to say instead is: Thank you Brad for making the story more challenging than it needed to be but I made it work because I'm awesome. He wouldn't say it because I think McCook enjoys
    working at B&B too much.

Congratulations to Mishael Morgan for making history by becoming the first Black actor to win in a lead category at the Daytime Emmys. Her acceptance speech is the highlight of the show and may have saved it.

The night belonged to General Hospital as it won the final award for Outstanding Show and for every major category except for Outstanding Writing. When I find some spare time, I'll watch GH again.

https://apnews.com/article/covid-entertainment-health-emmy-awards-ef3ac75e6ccd0b914e972d69c2cf870e

--
    Lynn K.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)