• Y&R great classic scene: "That's my son you're talking to"

From Zob@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 19 18:17:45 2020
    The scene: https://youtu.be/Gp2QYzHfX0Q

I wish when they were showing these classic Y&R episodes over the past
    couple of months that they would just pick an era and show
    back-to-back episodes in sequence.
    Either that, or as someone else suggested, just edit a storyline and
    show just that storyline in sequence cutting out all the uninteresting superfluous "filler."

At any rate they are supposed to begin taping again tomorrow July 20.
    We shall see. Presumably the actors are being tested for COVID-19 and
    other safety precautions will be taken.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Legend@21:1/5 to Zob on Mon Jul 20 22:00:08 2020
    On Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 6:17:50 PM UTC-4, Zob wrote:

couple of months that they would just pick an era and show
    show just that storyline in sequence cutting out all the uninteresting superfluous "filler."

We shall see. Presumably the actors are being tested for COVID-19 and

I love the fact that they're Showing how they 'out-phased' the old fashioned soap staples-such as voice-overs, dramatic questions, interior monologue...just the 'old-fashioned' style of soap! I believe that Bill Bell was a pioneer in such changes, also
    adding in contemporary issues, such as abortion, homelessness, substandard products...pretty much 'you name it'!!!

So, they're planning on starting taping new shows...I don't think I have to tell anyone how this effects my feelings...

MIXED!!! Extremely so! And, it's downright sad, seeing from whence it has fallen! When they first tried new things, who could have thought how far they were going to rise?

Or, was that 'fall'???

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Renate@21:1/5 to Legend on Tue Jul 21 06:16:15 2020
    On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 1:00:09 AM UTC-4, Legend wrote:

I wish when they were showing these classic Y&R episodes over the past couple of months that they would just pick an era and show

We shall see. Presumably the actors are being tested for COVID-19 and other safety precautions will be taken.

I love the fact that they're Showing how they 'out-phased' the old fashioned soap staples-such as voice-overs, dramatic questions, interior monologue...just the 'old-fashioned' style of soap! I believe that Bill Bell was a pioneer in such changes, also
    adding in contemporary issues, such as abortion, homelessness, substandard products...pretty much 'you name it'!!!

So, they're planning on starting taping new shows...I don't think I have to tell anyone how this effects my feelings...

MIXED!!! Extremely so! And, it's downright sad, seeing from whence it has fallen! When they first tried new things, who could have thought how far they were going to rise?

Or, was that 'fall'???

Really? I do not feel this way at all. I am so sick of the stilted dialogs and "wifey" attitudes. Bring in the 2020s, they can keep the 1970s. I lived through them and it is a better world right now, well, it was until the Corona Virus. :(

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Legend@21:1/5 to Renate on Wed Jul 22 19:55:43 2020
    On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 9:16:16 AM UTC-4, Renate wrote:

I wish when they were showing these classic Y&R episodes over the past couple of months that they would just pick an era and show

We shall see. Presumably the actors are being tested for COVID-19 and other safety precautions will be taken.

I love the fact that they're Showing how they 'out-phased' the old fashioned soap staples-such as voice-overs, dramatic questions, interior monologue...just the 'old-fashioned' style of soap! I believe that Bill Bell was a pioneer in such changes,
    also adding in contemporary issues, such as abortion, homelessness, substandard products...pretty much 'you name it'!!!

Or, was that 'fall'???

Really? I do not feel this way at all. I am so sick of the stilted dialogs and "wifey" attitudes. Bring in the 2020s, they can keep the 1970s. I lived through them and it is a better world right now, well, it was until the Corona Virus. :(

I think something got missed here...I said that I liked the way they showed dated ideas being phased out...not the fact that that they were, in fact, phased out. When it was left off, my biggest complaint was that they'd abandon a story, as soon as it
    showed the slightest promise...certainly not the fact that the promise ever existed! The early writers saw issues that weren't being dealt with in real life, or on soaps...such as sexual abuse in the workplace...and health with them!

Contrast the newer shows, of the 2020's...a potentially interesting idea is introduced, and, promptly, abandoned! I really think that's the biggest problem...or was, as soon as the COVID scare took over. It would be one thing If the 'dated, old-fashioned
    shows' were being offered to us as alternatives to more modern ideas. But they were often offered as alternatives to...well, putting it bluntly, to nothing! Nothing!!!

So, forgive me if I comment on the changed hair and clothing styles.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Legend@21:1/5 to Legend on Wed Jul 22 19:59:09 2020
    On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 10:55:44 PM UTC-4, Legend wrote:

Either that, or as someone else suggested, just edit a storyline and show just that storyline in sequence cutting out all the uninteresting superfluous "filler."

At any rate they are supposed to begin taping again tomorrow July 20. We shall see. Presumably the actors are being tested for COVID-19 and other safety precautions will be taken.

I love the fact that they're Showing how they 'out-phased' the old fashioned soap staples-such as voice-overs, dramatic questions, interior monologue...just the 'old-fashioned' style of soap! I believe that Bill Bell was a pioneer in such changes,
    also adding in contemporary issues, such as abortion, homelessness, substandard products...pretty much 'you name it'!!!

Or, was that 'fall'???

I think something got missed here...I said that I liked the way they showed dated ideas being phased out...not the fact that that they were, in fact, phased out. When it was left off, my biggest complaint was that they'd abandon a story, as soon as it
    showed the slightest promise...certainly not the fact that the promise ever existed! The early writers saw issues that weren't being dealt with in real life, or on soaps...such as sexual abuse in the workplace...and health with them!

Contrast the newer shows, of the 2020's...a potentially interesting idea is introduced, and, promptly, abandoned! I really think that's the biggest problem...or was, as soon as the COVID scare took over. It would be one thing If the 'dated, old-
    fashioned shows' were being offered to us as alternatives to more modern ideas. But they were often offered as alternatives to...well, putting it bluntly, to nothing! Nothing!!!

So, forgive me if I comment on the changed hair and clothing styles. Better than...what was that again? Oh, the large offerings of...Nothing!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Legend@21:1/5 to Legend on Wed Jul 22 20:24:18 2020
    On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 10:59:10 PM UTC-4, Legend wrote:
    On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 10:55:44 PM UTC-4, Legend wrote:

couple of months that they would just pick an era and show back-to-back episodes in sequence.
    Either that, or as someone else suggested, just edit a storyline and show just that storyline in sequence cutting out all the uninteresting
    superfluous "filler."

At any rate they are supposed to begin taping again tomorrow July 20. We shall see. Presumably the actors are being tested for COVID-19 and

Or, was that 'fall'???

I think something got missed here...I said that I liked the way they showed dated ideas being phased out...not the fact that that they were, in fact, phased out. When it was left off, my biggest complaint was that they'd abandon a story, as soon as
    it showed the slightest promise...certainly not the fact that the promise ever existed! The early writers saw issues that weren't being dealt with in real life, or on soaps...such as sexual abuse in the workplace...and health with them!

Contrast the newer shows, of the 2020's...a potentially interesting idea is introduced, and, promptly, abandoned! I really think that's the biggest problem...or was, as soon as the COVID scare took over. It would be one thing If the 'dated, old-
    fashioned shows' were being offered to us as alternatives to more modern ideas. But they were often offered as alternatives to...well, putting it bluntly, to nothing! Nothing!!!

So, forgive me if I comment on the changed hair and clothing styles. Better than...what was that again? Oh, the large offerings of...Nothing!

Sorry if I was too harsh...but, did anyone really think I wanted the 'wifey' style acting back???Hardly. I was commenting on how they worked on phasing it out. By introducing new ways of looking about them was one of the ways soaps helped to phase that
    out.

Things didn't, and don't change overnight. I think some of the Y&R teams did a good job in showing how this was done. If anyone had been trying something similar when the airings had stopped, I would have said something. In fact, I did...advising other
    viewers to keep their eyes on Billy (who, if I remember correctly, did win 'Best Actor' at the Daytime Emmys.

It is really rather sad to see the cast-some better than others, true, but none exceptionally 'bad' being wasted. The writers are not bad, either. So, PTB, just give everyone a chance?

Until the show is back on the air, I see no harm in watching some classic, or even not-quite-classic episodes, again. If someone finds they're showing something they really don't care for, feel free to skip the episode. One Dreaded Reliquary Storyline
    Episode was more than enough for me!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05