• Y&R...Another Winner

From Legend@21:1/5 to Zob on Tue Jun 9 23:11:59 2020
    On Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 2:09:15 AM UTC-4, Zob wrote:
    On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 18:22:06 -0700 (PDT), Legend <livinnow@gmail.com>
    wrote:

I saw this on TV, but it was interrupted for about 10-15 minutes. Because of the sad subject, I debated watching it over again, but I'm glad I did.

I'm talking about John Abbott's funeral. For those 'newcomers' and those who forgot, it shows Jack at his absolute worst! John's wife, Gloria, was kept from the funeral, as Jack gave her, and her sons, the wrong time! They arrived just as the minister
    returned to the church, and had to go out again. Those who assume Jack is a good guy should watch this episode! As of about half an hour ago, it was being shown on CBS all-Access without commercials.

This was one of the most memorable episodes of all time IMO. I've
    referred to it in the past when the subject of Jack comes up. The way
    he kept Gloria from her beloved husband's funeral was downright evil.
    The other episode where Jack was really evil was when Victor had a
    seizure and collapsed on his office floor. Jack left him laying there
    and actually kicked Victor's hand as he stepped over him and walked
    out.

They've been showing a lot of the good Y&R episodes. I was so happy
    when they showed Victor and Nikki's first wedding; the one where Gina
    sang "Looking Through The Eyes of Love". I've really been enjoying
    seeing the classic Y&R again, and almost dread going back to the
    humdrum of the current storylines when they start shooting again.

I think TPTB are getting a little scared of the comparison...they did include the Christmas 2019 episode, and the comparison to the worst of the older shows is sooo obvious! Maybe the extra time will give the writers a chance to come up with something
    good? I doubt it, but it's OK to hope, I'm sure!

Whenever we see Jack in a good light, it's good to remember this episode. But, don't forget, Jack continued his campaign against Gloria...when John was in Prison, and sick and confused, Jack would remind him of the worse times with Gloria, confusing them
    with the worst with Dina, and got John to change his will. Oh, and also interfered with Gloria getting an official divorce from her ex, so the marriage to John would be declared invalid, and she couldn't even claim her widow's rights? But, then, these
    were spread over several episodes. So, this stands out as the single episode that puts Jack in a bad light.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Karen S.@21:1/5 to Zob on Wed Jun 10 14:20:59 2020

I've really been enjoying

+1

Karen S.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Legend@21:1/5 to Karen S. on Thu Jun 11 20:53:57 2020
    On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 5:21:00 PM UTC-4, Karen S. wrote:

+1

Karen S.

One more thing about this particular show...it was kept pretty much free of irrelevant info! We see Jack, Ashley, and Traci preparing for the funeral. Then Jill and Katherine arrive at the church. They then cut back and forth, from the church to Michael
    and Lauren's home, where they, Gloria, and Kevin get ready and reminisce!

Katherine, and Ashley even want to wait a while longer for Gloria's arrival. Katherine even call Gloria! (I forget...did Jack steal her cell phone)?
    Katherine can't get through, so, the funeral goes as planned...by Jack, that is?

Gloria, her sons, and Lauren arrive at an empty church! The minister returns, only to tell them the service is over. He can't even stay, as he has a christening to do elsewhere...so Gloria gives a eulogy to just her family.

They do meet up later, Gloria guesses, correctly that Jack acted alone, as he half-heartedly tries to deny it. It ends with only Jack looking bad.

Yes, the producers knew they had a winner, and kept out anything extraneous. I wonder how many people will be feeling differently about Jack, when things resume? Just writing this has me hating him...at the moment.

Oh, how are we going to go back to half-thought-out ideas, could-be-interesting storylines that end too soon, and mediocrity as the standard daily fare? I'm not looking forward to it!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Renate@21:1/5 to Legend on Fri Jun 12 10:12:06 2020
    On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 11:53:58 PM UTC-4, Legend wrote:

+1

Karen S.

One more thing about this particular show...it was kept pretty much free of irrelevant info! We see Jack, Ashley, and Traci preparing for the funeral. Then Jill and Katherine arrive at the church. They then cut back and forth, from the church to
    Michael and Lauren's home, where they, Gloria, and Kevin get ready and reminisce!

Katherine, and Ashley even want to wait a while longer for Gloria's arrival. Katherine even call Gloria! (I forget...did Jack steal her cell phone)?
    Katherine can't get through, so, the funeral goes as planned...by Jack, that is?

Gloria, her sons, and Lauren arrive at an empty church! The minister returns, only to tell them the service is over. He can't even stay, as he has a christening to do elsewhere...so Gloria gives a eulogy to just her family.

They do meet up later, Gloria guesses, correctly that Jack acted alone, as he half-heartedly tries to deny it. It ends with only Jack looking bad.

Yes, the producers knew they had a winner, and kept out anything extraneous. I wonder how many people will be feeling differently about Jack, when things resume? Just writing this has me hating him...at the moment.

Oh, how are we going to go back to half-thought-out ideas, could-be-interesting storylines that end too soon, and mediocrity as the standard daily fare? I'm not looking forward to it!

With your sympathies all on Gloria's side, do you forget how she put poison in a product that Ashley had created? I remember her going after John just for his money, right?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Legend@21:1/5 to Renate on Fri Jun 12 22:11:44 2020
    On Friday, June 12, 2020 at 1:12:07 PM UTC-4, Renate wrote:

seeing the classic Y&R again, and almost dread going back to the humdrum of the current storylines when they start shooting again.

+1

Karen S.

One more thing about this particular show...it was kept pretty much free of irrelevant info! We see Jack, Ashley, and Traci preparing for the funeral. Then Jill and Katherine arrive at the church. They then cut back and forth, from the church to
    Michael and Lauren's home, where they, Gloria, and Kevin get ready and reminisce!

With your sympathies all on Gloria's side, do you forget how she put poison in a product that Ashley had created? I remember her going after John just for his money, right?

It may have started that way, but John and Gloria had really fallen in love, by the time of John's death. And, I thought the skin cream disaster happened after John's death. Gloria was/is far from perfect don't get me wrong. But, leaving her out of her
    husband's funeral was just too much!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zob@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 13 02:54:47 2020
    On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 10:12:06 -0700 (PDT), Renate <muunstruk@gmail.com>
    wrote:

+1

Karen S.

For me the difference is that Gloria was never inherently evil. She
    had been literally used and physically abused by men - including
    Kevin's father - and had been forced to look out for herself and her
    children in the only way she knew how. She didn't come from privilege
    or a life of ease like most of the other GC characters, always made to
    feel like she wasn't "good enough"; and once she married John she was
    truly devoted to him.
    This is all my interpretation and opinion of course. But whether a
    sympathetic character or a villain, she was always interesting and her
    scenes were watchable at times when the show often went off the rails
    and other characters were boring.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05