• Community Brainstorming: Damage Control on a Space Warship

From kiran panchal@21:1/5 to dael...@gmail.com on Thu Dec 3 03:18:30 2020
    On Wednesday, 29 May 2019 at 22:32:17 UTC+5:30, dael...@gmail.com wrote:
    So, here's something I can turn to you folks for some help with.

I'm coming up with a science fictional battleship for space warfare, propelled by a cluster of four field-reversed configuration, helium-3/deuterium fusion rockets, with a full wet mass of roughly 35,000 tonnes, dry mass of 14,000 tonnes, and a total
    complement of 62 officers and enlisted crewmen, plus additional space to accommodate a small number of passengers such as VIPs or rescued personnel, etc.

For a sense of size, the overall length of the hull is roughly 210 meters, and the width is 60 meters around the main reaction mass tanks, slimming down to about 30ish meters along the forward half/two thirds of the hull.

What I'm trying to sort out is how damage control might be taken care of on board this vessel.

The pressurized crew section would, of course, occupy only a relatively small portion of the vessel's internal volume. Any other compartments outside of this pressure hull would either be totally unpressurized or would contain compressed fluid or
    reaction mass.

Damage control on a modern warship is comparatively straightforward; damage control parties would have little trouble moving to most necessary areas of a ship on foot. Most internal spaces take the form of some type of room.

My battleship, however, is much more like a large vessel packed full mostly with automated machinery, and the crew is mostly there to serve as a kind of mission control.

Now, I imagine damage control teams would have to work either in space suits or piloted piloted pods. Alternatively, they could largely operate by way of remotely-manned robots. I imagine space suits would be the most "sleek" option, allowing
    individual crewmen to pass through tighter channels compared to larger piloted pods. However, because space suits use low pressure atmospheres, crewmen would need to spend at least an hour acclimating to low pressure conditions, and that might not be
    practical in a combat situation.

Any ideas?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)