• R.I.P. Constance Leonard, 96, in Sept. (juv. author of 1980s "Tracy Jam

From lenona321@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 12 17:45:59 2019
    https://www.jellisonfuneralhome.com/notices/Constance-Leonard

Most of it:

Constance “Connie” (Brink) Leonard, aged 96 died on September 7, 2019 after a period of declining health, at Pheasant Wood Nursing Center in Peterborough N.H. She was born on April 27, 1923 in Pottstown, Pennsylvania to Dorothy and Harry Brink.
    Connie lived in N.Y., Maine, Michigan, London, Spain and Washington D.C. She lived in Francestown, N.H. for 38 years before moving to Peterborough where she lived for the past 18 years.

A Wellesley graduate, Ms. Leonard served with the OSS in Europe at the end of World War II . She was married to John D. Leonard, (deceased) a journalist for The Wall Street Journal and Newsweek. When they returned to the US they lived in Washington D.C.
    where they were joined by Mr. Leonard’s daughter, Sandra Leonard Starr (deceased). In 1958 their daughter Gillian was born. In 1963 they moved to N.H., eventually settling in Francestown. Although they divorced, Connie remained in N.H. for the rest of
    her life. She was the author of eight mystery novels. She was a long time member of the Sharon Arts Center, (where she also served as a board member) accomplished potter and water colorist. In addition she was an enthusiastic traveler, photographer,
    tennis, bridge and Scrabble player. She is survived by her daughter Gillian Leonard and her husband Joseph Nash, of Albany N.Y...

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=966&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=fOzyXe_mF6G9ggf8sYbQDQ&q=%22constance+leonard%22+books&oq=%22constance+leonard%22+books&gs_l=img.3...13249.14007..14215...0.0..0.107.301.3j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.jSWalW9C96Y&ved=
    0ahUKEwjvlPTHv7HmAhWhnuAKHfyYAdoQ4dUDCAY&uact=5
    (book covers)

From "Contemporary Authors":

"I have 'always' written--stories, verse, anything--but not for publication until the last few years when I've been settled in an old house in a tiny old village in the New Hampshire mountains. As a longtime mystery addict I thought it would be fun to
    try writing one, and then another, and then another. Aside from writing and reading and friends and good food, I find travel the one essential and have enjoyed using foreign backgrounds in many of my books."

About "Stowaway":

"On what has to be a perfect cruise, sailing around the Bahamas in convoy with Pete Sturtevant and his important charter passengers, Tracy James discovers something even worse than a rat aboard the Kitten Too: Tessa, a small, terrified human stowaway,
    who bites but does not speak English! The little girl cannot explain what has happened to her family, nor warn Tracy about the ruthless men who, like the coral reefs just under the surface, make these beautiful waters dangerous."

WORKS:

WRITINGS BY THE AUTHOR:

The Great Pumpkin Mystery (novel), Random House, 1971.
    The Other Maritha (novel), Dodd, 1972.
    Steps to Nowhere (novel), Dodd, 1974.
    Hostage in Illyria (novel), Dodd, 1976.
    Shadow of a Ghost (young adult novel), Dodd, 1978.

"TRACY JAMES" MYSTERY SERIES

The Marina Mystery, Dodd, 1981.
    Stowaway (Junior Literary Guild selection), Dodd, 1983.

Aground, Dodd, 1984.
    ("Tracy James leaves her contented life in Florida to become involved in a mind-controlling cult in Maine and to learn why an old family friend's lobster business is being sabotaged.")

Strange Waters, Dodd, 1985.

Lenona.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)