• Re: AMYRLIN SEAT . . . ACOS Spoilers

From Timothy Bruening@21:1/5 to Gary Greenbaum on Thu Jan 20 00:45:18 2022
    On Thursday, June 20, 1996 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Gary Greenbaum wrote:
    tsbr...@wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us (Timothy Bruening) wrote:
    spoiler space inserted. Incidently, um, isn't your subject, which I
    have edited, a bit revealing?
    AMYRLIN SEAT BREAKS FIRST OATH! Details below. Spoilers for A Crown of >Swords up to Chapter 12, and for the Shadow Rising, Chapter 47:
    I believe I have caught Siuan Sanche telling an outright lie, at a time when >she was still bound by the Three Oaths. In tSR, Chapter 47, Elaida springs >her infamous coup. Elaida and her supporters walk into Siuan's office and >Shield her from the OP as Elaida calmly removes Siuan's stole and informs >her that she has been removed from the Amyrlin seat. Elaida then binds >Siuan with Air. On page 766 of the paperback tSR, Siuan angrily tells >Elaida that "There has never been a rebellion inside the Tower". However, >at the bottom of page 247 in Chapter 12 of ACOS, Egwene thinks to herself >that there have been six mutinies in the White Tower's history, hidden away >in the Tower's secret histories. The secret histories are accessible only >to the Amyrlin, Keeper, Sitters, and a few librarians. I believe that >Amyrlin Siuan would have had access to the secret histories and thus would >have known about the six mutinies. Therefore, I believe that Siuan lied when >she said that there had never been a rebellion in the Tower, at a time when >Siuan was still bound by the First Oath (she hadn't been Stilled yet). Here >are the sources of my belief that Amyrlin Siuan knew about the rebellions in >the hidden records:
    On page 25, Amyrlin Elaida thinks about the ancient rebellions buried in the >secret records open only to Amyrlin, Keeper, and Sitters. If Amyrlin Elaida >knows about those rebellions, then so did Amyrlin Siuan. On pages 156, 212 >and 246 are indications that Siuan was familiar with the Tower's secret >history. On page 156, Egwene muses to herself that Siuan had told her >secret details of some of the odd things that have happened in the Tower. >On page 212, in the last paragraph, Egwene comments that she doubts that >anyone has ever been raised Amyrlin without first being a full Aes Sedai, >and thinks to herself that that comment should have elicited a comment from >Siuan about the Tower's hidden records. At the top of page 246, Siuan says >that there is nothing in the secret records about Amyrlins demanding oaths >of fealty.
    All depends on how Siuan, in her mind, defined the term "rebellion."
    It may well be that Siuan did not consider those mutinies to be
    rebellions.
    I like your analysis. But Siuan was always slippery with a word.
    She may be trying to shame the rebels back in their place by using a
    word which is not used in the Tower, even among those in the know, to describe the incidents. Wasn't Elaida a sitter for the White, by the
    way?

I believe that a mutiny is a type of rebellion.

Do we associate the term "rebellion" with the Civil War? If I said,
    "There has not been a rebellion in the US in over 150 years", am I necessarily lying or speaking a word that is not true?

The Southern States revolted against the US government, so I would call the Civil War a rebellion.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)