• Shaitan's greatest weapon

From Jason Evans@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 8 05:46:03 2021
    I'm half way through Book 3 now. Since this is a re-read through I know
    what's going to happen but it occurred to me that the greatest weapon that Shaitan's used in the previous 3000 years was his disinformation campaign against Aes Sedai.

Gleemen and others spread the stories about Aes Sedai being shadowfriends or near enough to them for years. The Aes Sedai unwillingness to speak plainly didn't help that either. They can't lie directly, but they can couch their
    lies in a veil of truth which added to the stories about them being
    basically witches. If the people of the kingdoms of WoT trusted them implicitly, then the ranks of Aes Sedai would have been much larger and it would have much harder groups like the Children of the Light to get a
    foothold.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jjvors@21:1/5 to Jason Evans on Fri Oct 8 20:47:27 2021
    On Friday, October 8, 2021 at 12:46:06 AM UTC-5, Jason Evans wrote:
    I'm half way through Book 3 now. Since this is a re-read through I know what's going to happen but it occurred to me that the greatest weapon that Shaitan's used in the previous 3000 years was his disinformation campaign against Aes Sedai.

Gleemen and others spread the stories about Aes Sedai being shadowfriends or near enough to them for years. The Aes Sedai unwillingness to speak plainly didn't help that either. They can't lie directly, but they can couch their lies in a veil of truth which added to the stories about them being basically witches. If the people of the kingdoms of WoT trusted them implicitly, then the ranks of Aes Sedai would have been much larger and it would have much harder groups like the Children of the Light to get a foothold.

Spot on. Lies by not only Shaitan, but also by the Forsaken, plus the destruction of records and civilization by the Trolloc Wars basically wiped out clear knowledge about the age of Legends not only in the populace but also among the Aes Sedai. Don't
    forget the Black Ajah were also there causing trouble.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cassie@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 12 16:36:39 2021
    Op 8-10-2021 om 07:46 schreef Jason Evans:
    I'm half way through Book 3 now. Since this is a re-read through I know what's going to happen but it occurred to me that the greatest weapon that Shaitan's used in the previous 3000 years was his disinformation campaign against Aes Sedai.

Gleemen and others spread the stories about Aes Sedai being shadowfriends or near enough to them for years. The Aes Sedai unwillingness to speak plainly didn't help that either. They can't lie directly, but they can couch their lies in a veil of truth which added to the stories about them being
    basically witches. If the people of the kingdoms of WoT trusted them implicitly, then the ranks of Aes Sedai would have been much larger and it would have much harder groups like the Children of the Light to get a foothold.

Good point.

Also employing the Black Ajah inside the hart of the Aes Sedai to spread
    false information within, was also a good move.

Cassie

--
    Deze e-mail is gecontroleerd op virussen door AVG.
    http://www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Timothy Bruening@21:1/5 to Jason Evans on Mon Dec 6 15:10:55 2021
    On Thursday, October 7, 2021 at 10:46:06 PM UTC-7, Jason Evans wrote:

Gleemen and others spread the stories about Aes Sedai being shadowfriends or near enough to them for years. The Aes Sedai unwillingness to speak plainly didn't help that either. They can't lie directly, but they can couch their lies in a veil of truth which added to the stories about them being
    basically witches. If the people of the kingdoms of WoT trusted them implicitly, then the ranks of Aes Sedai would have been much larger and it would have much harder groups like the Children of the Light to get a foothold.

Why don't the AS hire gleemen to spread positive stories about them?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jason Evans@21:1/5 to Timothy Bruening on Tue Dec 7 18:30:22 2021
    On Mon, 06 Dec 2021 15:10:55 -0800, Timothy Bruening wrote:

Who knows? It would seem logical that they would try to have some positive
    PR or perhaps a band of yellows that went from village to village offering
    free healing while also looking for girls who could channel sort of like missionaries.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Timothy Bruening@21:1/5 to Jason Evans on Thu Dec 16 18:31:42 2021
    On Tuesday, December 7, 2021 at 10:30:23 AM UTC-8, Jason Evans wrote:
    On Mon, 06 Dec 2021 15:10:55 -0800, Timothy Bruening wrote:

Who knows? It would seem logical that they would try to have some positive
    PR or perhaps a band of yellows that went from village to village offering free healing while also looking for girls who could channel sort of like missionaries.

An idea that Egwene missed!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05