• =?UTF-8?Q?PAWS_is_back=2C_new_version_2=2E1=21_=28Roger_Plowman=E2=80=9

From Matthias Hormann@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 14 19:27:23 2016
    I was looking for an Adventure Writing system (or at least a good foundation) in Python, and stumbled across Roger Plowman’s PAWS ("Python Adventure Writing System").

Sadly enough, the web page and email have gone, and Archive.org’s Wayback Machine doesn’t have the files anymore.

So, from whatever I could find of Robert’s stuff on the Internet, and repair and extend myself, I decided to make available a new and shiny (well, more or less …) PAWS Version 2.1.0 at https://github.com/Moonbase59/PAWS.

It has lots of new features and bug fixes and I will be working on and extending its "Universe" module for a while still. I do believe in the flexibility of Python but also very much in having a robust and solid foundation on which to build one’s own
    text adventures.

The goal is getting a "game world" that knows about a lot of places, things and behaviour "by itself" and can handle these via built-in defaults (that can easily be inherited/overwritten in the actual game, though).

I’d love all interested parties to try it out and give some feedback and/or fresh ideas. Of course I can’t promise anything (got a real life, too 😉) but I’ll most certainly work on it in my spare time for a while still.

Cheers!
    Matthias a.k.a. »Moonbase59«

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Katzy@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 15 14:11:41 2016
    Hello,

Matthias Hormann wrote in message ...

I was looking for an Adventure Writing system (or at least a good foundation) in Python, and stumbled across Roger Plowman’s PAWS ("Python Adventure Writing System").

Sadly enough, the web page and email have gone, and Archive.org’s Wayback Machine doesn’t have the files anymore.

So, from whatever I could find of Robert’s stuff on the Internet, and repair and extend myself, I decided to make available a new and shiny (well, more or less …) PAWS Version 2.1.0 at https://github.com/Moonbase59/PAWS.

It has lots of new features and bug fixes and I will be working on and extending its "Universe" module for a while still. I do believe in the flexibility of Python but also very much in having a robust and solid foundation on which to build one’s own text adventures.

The goal is getting a "game world" that knows about a lot of places, things
    and behaviour "by itself" and can handle these via built-in defaults (that can easily be inherited/overwritten in the actual game, though).

I’d love all interested parties to try it out and give some feedback and/or fresh ideas. Of course I can’t promise anything (got a real life, too ?) but I ’ll most certainly work on it in my spare time for a while still.

Cheers!

I do have PAWS14.zip, PAWS15.zip and PAWS20-developer set, this one sent by Wolf.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matthias Hormann@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 15 10:18:59 2016
    Am Dienstag, 15. November 2016 14:07:16 UTC+1 schrieb Katzy:

I do have PAWS14.zip, PAWS15.zip and PAWS20-developer set, this one sent by Wolf.

Hi Katzy,

now THAT is good news! Would you be willing to let me have a copy, at least of PAWS20-Dev.zip? And do you ny chance have any contact data for Roger (Wolf) that still works?

Thanks for letting me know!
    Matthias

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matthias Hormann@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 16 01:00:54 2016
    Am Dienstag, 15. November 2016 14:07:16 UTC+1 schrieb Katzy:
    Hello,

I was looking for an Adventure Writing system (or at least a good foundation) in Python, and stumbled across Roger Plowman’s PAWS ("Python Adventure Writing
    System").

So, from whatever I could find of Robert’s stuff on the Internet, and repair
    and extend myself, I decided to make available a new and shiny (well, more or less …) PAWS Version 2.1.0 at https://github.com/Moonbase59/PAWS.

It has lots of new features and bug fixes and I will be working on and extending its "Universe" module for a while still. I do believe in the flexibility of Python but also very much in having a robust and solid foundation on which to build one’s own text adventures.

The goal is getting a "game world" that knows about a lot of places, things and behaviour "by itself" and can handle these via built-in defaults (that can
    easily be inherited/overwritten in the actual game, though).

I’d love all interested parties to try it out and give some feedback and/or fresh ideas. Of course I can’t promise anything (got a real life, too ?) but I
    ’ll most certainly work on it in my spare time for a while still.

Cheers!

Katzy,

I’d love to get in contact but I don’t really know how this Google Groups stuff works—there isn’t even something like "personal message". Anyway, you can try to reach me at moonbase@quantentunnel.de — thanks!

Matthias

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From FizzyP@21:1/5 to Matthias Hormann on Tue Nov 15 19:21:42 2016
    That is really cool! I bet he'd be incredibly happy that you put in this much effort.

On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 8:27:27 PM UTC-7, Matthias Hormann wrote:

It has lots of new features and bug fixes and I will be working on and extending its "Universe" module for a while still. I do believe in the flexibility of Python but also very much in having a robust and solid foundation on which to build one’s own
    text adventures.

The goal is getting a "game world" that knows about a lot of places, things and behaviour "by itself" and can handle these via built-in defaults (that can easily be inherited/overwritten in the actual game, though).

I’d love all interested parties to try it out and give some feedback and/or fresh ideas. Of course I can’t promise anything (got a real life, too 😉) but I’ll most certainly work on it in my spare time for a while still.

Cheers!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matthias Hormann@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 16 00:49:51 2016
    Am Mittwoch, 16. November 2016 04:21:46 UTC+1 schrieb FizzyP:
    That is really cool! I bet he'd be incredibly happy that you put in this much effort.

Well, I do hope there is still an audience there, I mean people who actually still care about text adventures and maybe even write new ones built upon all this.

And of course I’d so much like to get in contact with Wolf, but it seems he has vanished for many years. Does anyone know how to contact him?

Also, I’m still wondering about this "Google Group" thingie here … it looks and feels much like the REAL newsgroups we had oh so many decades ago but lacks so much. Did Google somehow take all that over? Or just "steal" a real newsgroup feed and made
    an odd web interface to it? How would be quoting rules, how would one contact people personally? Questions over questions …

:-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Katzy@21:1/5 to Matthias Hormann on Wed Nov 16 12:56:59 2016
    Hello,

I’d love to get in contact but I don’t really know how this Google Groups stuff works—there isn’t even something like "personal message". Anyway, you
    can try to reach me at moonbase@quantentunnel.de — thanks!

Yes, I am still there. I don't use a valid e-mail address here. Therefore you can't reach me. So this has nothing to do with Google Groups. ;)

You can download the files. They are in the download here: http://www.nostalgia8.org/verzameling.htm between my collection of other old creating tools, so halfway around. I did link the site of Roger then, but it became a dead link, so removed it.

I contacted him more than a year ago and used the address named on his old website. Something with zoom in it. I'll write you when I find it back.

Katzy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matthias Hormann@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 16 05:28:17 2016
    Am Mittwoch, 16. November 2016 12:57:38 UTC+1 schrieb Katzy:
    Hello,

I’d love to get in contact but I don’t really know how this Google Groups
    stuff works—there isn’t even something like "personal message". Anyway, you
    can try to reach me at moonbase@quantentunnel.de — thanks!

Yes, I am still there. I don't use a valid e-mail address here. Therefore you can't reach me. So this has nothing to do with Google Groups. ;)

You can download the files. They are in the download here: http://www.nostalgia8.org/verzameling.htm between my collection of other old creating tools, so halfway around. I did link the site of Roger then, but it became a dead link, so removed it.

I contacted him more than a year ago and used the address named on his old website. Something with zoom in it. I'll write you when I find it back.

Katzy

Hey, Katzy,

man, THANKS a million! THAT was a find! I’m so happy that I finally got the version 2.0.3 documentation—something we can build on! :-)

I got Wolf’s old email address you mentioned, but emails to that address come back as undeliverable. :-(

Anyway, since Wolf’s generous license permits it, I’ll go and put the Dev.zip on my GitHub repo, together with my new stuff, so others can benefit.

See https://github.com/Moonbase59/PAWS

Thanks again and have a good time!
    Matthias

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John W Kennedy@21:1/5 to Matthias Hormann on Wed Nov 16 12:00:20 2016
    On 11/16/16 3:49 AM, Matthias Hormann wrote:
    Am Mittwoch, 16. November 2016 04:21:46 UTC+1 schrieb FizzyP:

Well, I do hope there is still an audience there, I mean people who actually still care about text adventures and maybe even write new ones built upon all this.

And of course I’d so much like to get in contact with Wolf, but it seems he has vanished for many years. Does anyone know how to contact him?

Also, I’m still wondering about this "Google Group" thingie here … it looks and feels much like the REAL newsgroups we had oh so many decades ago but lacks so much. Did Google somehow take all that over? Or just "steal" a real newsgroup feed and
    made an odd web interface to it? How would be quoting rules, how would one contact people personally? Questions over questions …

Google Groups uses and archives the old newsgroups system, which still
    exists. (They purchased DejaNews ages ago.) There are also Google Groups
    groups that are not newsgroups.

--
    John W. Kennedy
    "The blind rulers of Logres
    Nourished the land on a fallacy of rational virtue."
    -- Charles Williams. "Taliessin through Logres: Prelude"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gregory Ewing@21:1/5 to Matthias Hormann on Thu Nov 17 10:59:53 2016
    Matthias Hormann wrote:
    Also, I’m still wondering about this "Google Group" thingie here … it looks and feels much like the REAL newsgroups we had oh so many decades ago but lacks so much. Did Google somehow take all that over? Or just "steal" a real newsgroup feed and made an odd web interface to it?

I'm reading and replying to this through the rec.arts.int-fiction
    Usenet group, so whatever you're using must be gatewayed to it.

Yes, Usenet still exists, and r.a.i-f still exists, although
    posts to it are few and far between -- everyone seems to have
    abandoned it for the www.intfiction.org web forum, which is
    disappointing.

If you and some other old-timers that appreciate the advantages
    of Usenet would like to come back here, that would be great.

--
    Greg

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matthias Hormann@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 16 11:09:14 2016
    Google Groups uses and archives the old newsgroups system, which still exists. (They purchased DejaNews ages ago.) There are also Google Groups groups that are not newsgroups.

--
    John W. Kennedy

Thanks for some elucidation, John, much appreciated!
    Matthias

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Anonymous@21:1/5 to Gregory Ewing on Thu Jan 5 02:02:48 2017
    Gregory Ewing wrote:
    disappointing.

Perhaps someone can ask www.intfiction.org administration to exchange
    posts with this Usenet newsgroup? It's not that hard technically, some
    forum engines (like Phorum) are able to do it out-of-the-box.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Anonymous@21:1/5 to Katzy on Thu Jan 5 02:19:34 2017
    Katzy wrote:
    I don't use a valid e-mail address here.

This is a complete OT, but I would like to point that I use valid e-mail address for my other Usenet identity, and I didn't receive a single spam e-mail yet. I guess spammers moved out of Usenet long time ago.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From vsync@21:1/5 to Gregory Ewing on Thu Sep 21 00:34:27 2017
    On 17 Nov 2016, Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing@canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

disappointing.

Ah, that really is unfortunate. I've just drifted back in and was
    wondering what happened.

--
    Tim Howe
    http://quadium.net/~vsync/

Love of bustle is not industry; it is only the restlessness of a
    hunted mind. And true repose does not consist in condemning all
    motion as merely vexation; that kind of repose is slackness and
    inertia. No, men should combine these tendencies, and he who
    reposes should act and he who acts should take repose.
    -- Seneca

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05