• Running ZIL games in MDL

From lars.brinkhoff@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 19 00:09:21 2018
    Given that ZIL is described as a subset of MDL, is this something that would be easy or hard to do? (Somewhat open-ended question, sorry.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Happy MAC XL@21:1/5 to lars.br...@gmail.com on Fri Apr 20 10:28:08 2018
    On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 8:09:24 AM UTC+1, lars.br...@gmail.com wrote:
    Given that ZIL is described as a subset of MDL, is this something that would be
    easy or hard to do? (Somewhat open-ended question, sorry.)

On the off chance you are also on Facebook then we have a ZIL coding group and one of the guys is 'porting' Zork from MDL across to ZIL.

Ok - so - others can offer a more complete explanation however my lamens version is as follows.

ZIL is a sub-set of MDL. It's still a LISP language in it's own right, but the Infocom guys took what they needed from MDL in order to create a language that was designed specifically for text adventure games.

There are some differences, to the extent that if you had two source code files for Zork; let's say Zork.zil and Zork.mdl then you would need a separate compiler for each in order to create game files which would then also need their own interpreters to
    run on.

ZILF and ZAPF are available at https://bitbucket.org/jmcgrew/zilf/, with source code for the tools, and ZIL code for a parser and samples, including a port (of a port of a port) of Colossal Cave. The parser probably isn't as robust as the original, but
    it uses the same table formats.

ZILF implements a large subset of MDL, enough to use for ZIL macros but not enough to self-host the compiler, which makes it the least faithful of the three Muddle implementations I'm aware of. The other two are Matthew Russotto's Confusion, which
    implements enough to run the original version of Zork, and the original MDL105, which is still hosted (along with Zork) on a public TOPS-20 server at twenex.org.

Adam

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lars.brinkhoff@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Happy MAC XL on Mon Apr 23 22:53:06 2018
    Happy MAC XL wrote:
    On the off chance you are also on Facebook then we have a ZIL coding group and one of the guys is 'porting' Zork from MDL across to ZIL.

Thank you for the information! I am on Facebook (just barely), but I'm already spread
    thin as it is so I'll decline the invitaion.

In other news, we now have a working PDP-10 MDL!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05