Who/When/Where:

Who: Sue (62), DVC Member
    Holli (50’s), friend
    Chris (34), son
    Amanda (32), daughter-in-law
    Ari (4), grandson
    Dates: May 27 – 31, 2021
    Resort: Disney’s Kidani Village Resort
    Experience: Very Experienced – 31st stay at AKV (most were Jambo House though)

INTRODUCTION:
    This was booked as another Jambo House concierge trip, which as we all know is not happening since the damn resort isn’t even open yet (never mind club level offerings). When it became apparent there was no chance of it happening, I looked at the
    options and talked with the others to come up with plan B. I didn’t want to use a bunch more points, though. Previously I was in a club level room with a few imaginary names (so they could join me in the lounge). Holli had a regular studio for the
    first 3 nights and Chris’s family had one for the last 3 nights. I think it added up to 185 or 186 points.

In looking at the options, a 2-bedroom villa at Kidani for 4 nights was 186 points. It had the plus of a 3rd full bathroom, so while Holli would have to sleep in the living room, she’d have her own bathroom. Also May is hot, and parking under the
    building was a plus. I’m not a big fan of the Kidani pool, but I guess I can make do. I guess I have the option of walking over to Jambo House for a nicer pool (with fewer people). Thankfully the pool opens at 9am now rather than the 11am nonsense
    our last stay here. The parks are unpleasantly hot, and I would rather skip them entirely, but I let Chris & Amanda include me in their reservations. Initially I thought that whether I go or not can be left until the last minute but 5 days before the
    trip I canceled myself out of each one. Once the extended forecast came out and I saw it’s going to be 95 degrees (plus any humidity) the whole trip, I knew there was no way in hell I’d be going into the parks this trip! Holli doesn’t have a park
    pass, so she’ll be enjoying the resort.

Last month while staying at Saratoga Springs I was pleasantly surprised by our lunch at Planet Hollywood and also really enjoyed my solo lunch at the Boathouse. I booked a Boathouse lunch reservation for Holli & myself for Friday, figuring we could
    enjoy the pool and then clean up & head to lunch – and maybe get a reasonable virtual queue at Gideon’s. On arrival day (Thursday) we plan to head to the bar at Planet Hollywood for a glass of wine and the chicken crunch appetizer for a light lunch.
    This will give us another chance at Gideon’s virtual queue. I don’t want to sit around idly, but if we can time it with one of the meals that will be great! We’ll also need to get moved in whenever the villa is ready, and make a trip to Publix
    to buy what we didn’t bring with us.

Another day Holli & I may get food “to go” from Sanaa, or eat there, or eat in the lounge. On a previous trip she loved the culinary tour at Jambo House where we sampled different breads/spreads at Jiko so I know the bread service at Sanaa is right
    up her alley! I think there’s only one spread I’d eat – maybe 2 <g> so it’s not something I’d ever get on my own. The kids’ menu is more appealing to me, but if we do “to go” I’ll be able to order from that menu. We’ll undoubtedly
    do some version of the faux concierge lounge, but it won’t be the full-blown thing every night, since we’re more likely to be eating at or from other places most days. Saturday we’ll do the full faux concierge lounge since all of us will be there.
    We’ll add some “African” sharks to the offerings – crescent dough wrapped around a cocktail sausage and cooked in a mold that makes it look like a shark has swallowed the sausage. Ari & I did a trial run at his house Tuesday night and they were
    a hit – I think Ari ate 4 of the 12 himself, along with the rest of his dinner. I also brought some pre-sliced cheese. A year or 2 ago I cut the slices into strips and spelled Ari’s name on a plate – he remembers that and will undoubtedly expect
    or ask for it again. Cheese that spells your name must be especially tasty, lol!

I have a dental appointment in SW Florida the morning of my arrival, which means I’m spending the night before with Chris’ family (actually 2 nights before the trip since Wednesday {today} I had the garage door company coming to fix my garage door
    opener – the opener arm disconnected from the door a couple weeks ago. After my appointment I’ll head to Disney, where I’ll meet Holli. She’s leaving work early enough to arrive somewhere around noon. It’ll be just the 2 of us the first night.
    Hopefully we can manage to get Gideon’s taken care of, and we’ll also swing by Publix after getting settled in the villa so we’ll have the stuff needed for the rest of the trip. We’ll facetime our cruise buddy Fran Thursday afternoon/evening.
    Friday Amanda has to work all day, so it’ll be evening before they arrive – and another relaxing resort day for Holli & me. Saturday through Monday the Hollands have park reservations, and an early dinner at Coral Reef on Sunday. Monday we all head
    home – and have to be out of the villa by 11.

Except for Ari, we’re all fully vaccinated and it will be great to not have to wear a mask outside. Wearing them walking down the air conditioned hallway in the resort isn’t a big deal, and neither is wearing them on a bus. Although there will be
    unvaccinated people walking around without masks, the transmission rate outside is so low it’s not really a concern – especially for anyone who’s vaccinated. There will likely be some vaccinated people still wearing masks – not feeling
    comfortable just yet, and that’s ok. I won’t be one of them, lol!

The plans so far are:
    Thursday 5/27: Drive to WDW, Disney Springs, Faux Concierge Lounge
    Friday 5/28: Pool, Boathouse lunch
    Saturday 5/29: Pool, Faux Concierge Lounge
    Sunday 5/30: Pool, Sanaa?
    Monday 5/31: Drive to Gainesville

Sue/WDW1972

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Steve Soares@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 27 06:43:30 2021
    I hope you get to try the Polite Pig in Disney Springs this trip. It's
    right next to the Lime Garage. It's owned by a local family, which makes
    it unique on Disney property. Everything I've tried there has been
    great. Order any entree and side that sounds good and get the "bourbon
    on the rocks" cookie for dessert!

Steve S.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sue/WDW1972@21:1/5 to Steve Soares on Thu May 27 20:32:45 2021
    On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 6:43:35 AM UTC-4, Steve Soares wrote:

Steve S.

I have tried it, and like it. My son Chris loves it and has been there many times.

Sue/WDW1972

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Soares@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 28 07:16:01 2021
    On 5/27/2021 11:32 PM, Sue/WDW1972 wrote:
    On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 6:43:35 AM UTC-4, Steve Soares wrote:

Steve S.

I have tried it, and like it. My son Chris loves it and has been there many times.

Sue/WDW1972

Oh! I was under the impression you've never been.

Steve S.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rudeney@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 1 10:48:06 2021
    On 5/26/2021 12:21 PM, Sue/WDW1972 wrote:
    Who/When/Where:

The parks are unpleasantly hot, and I would rather skip them
    entirely, but I let Chris & Amanda include me in their reservations. Initially I thought that whether I go or not can be left until the
    last minute but 5 days before the trip I canceled myself out of each
    one. Once the extended forecast came out and I saw it’s going to be
    95 degrees (plus any humidity) the whole trip, I knew there was no
    way in hell I’d be going into the parks this trip! Holli doesn’t
    have a park pass, so she’ll be enjoying the resort.

Yeah, heat, humidity, and high crowds fro Memorial Day are not for me,
    either.

Saturday we’ll do the full faux concierge lounge since all of us will
    be there. We’ll add some “African” sharks to the offerings – crescent dough wrapped around a cocktail sausage and cooked in a mold
    that makes it look like a shark has swallowed the sausage. Ari & I
    did a trial run at his house Tuesday night and they were a hit – I
    think Ari ate 4 of the 12 himself, along with the rest of his dinner.

OK, this I gotta see!

I also brought some pre-sliced cheese. A year or 2 ago I cut the
    slices into strips and spelled Ari’s name on a plate – he remembers
    that and will undoubtedly expect or ask for it again. Cheese that
    spells your name must be especially tasty, lol!

But of course!

Except for Ari, we’re all fully vaccinated and it will be great to
    not have to wear a mask outside. Wearing them walking down the air conditioned hallway in the resort isn’t a big deal, and neither is
    wearing them on a bus. Although there will be unvaccinated people
    walking around without masks, the transmission rate outside is so
    low it’s not really a concern – especially for anyone who’s
    vaccinated. There will likely be some vaccinated people still wearing
    masks – not feeling comfortable just yet, and that’s ok. I won’t be one of them, lol!

I know there has been a lot of debate about masks with vaccinated
    people. My take is that if you are vaccinated, you have an
    infinitesimally small chance of transmitting COVID so the onus should be
    on the people at risk who are not vaccinated to protect themselves.

--

- RODNEY

Next WDW Vacation?
    Who knows!

Need to know more about RADP (rec.arts.disney.parks)?

http://www.radp.org
    http://allears.net/btp/radp_bk.htm
    http://allears.net/tp/abrev.htm

Are you still accessing RADP via Google? Why?
    Get instructions on how to access to the "real"
    RADP Usenet Group here:

http://meets.radp.org/usenet.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05