DAY 2 – Thursday 5/6/21
    Who: Sue (62), DVC Member
    SB (63), husband
    Pete & Judy (60’s), DVC friends
    Chris (34), son
    Amanda (32), daughter-in-law
    Ari (4), grandson

Plan: Beach, Dockside?

Actual: It was nice & quiet last night, but I felt like I laid there awake most of the night for some reason. It was comfortable, and the temperature was perfect, so I’m not sure what the problem was. I finally dozed off around 2 and woke up at 5:
    15 so I guess I did get some sleep! SB was sleeping in the living room in case he snored, and when I went out to check on him a few times I didn’t hear any snoring. We may take a chance tonight & hope for no snoring.

I was up just after 5:15 and made my cappuccino. I’d brought my hot pot and set it up in the master bathroom area so I wasn’t making a bunch of noise with the coffee maker. There’s a big tree outside the bedroom window, so it looks dark outside
    even when it’s not. Last night Pete texted asking if I’d seen the sunset. Sadly, from this location my view is a tree and buildings. He sent a couple photos and it was a gorgeous sunset over the marsh. I do miss that view! Some night I’ll have
    to wander over to the pier to catch it.

SB was awake by 7, and said the sleep sofa was surprisingly comfortable. Go figure. Ari was up next, probably by 7:30. He left their room and joined me in the big bed. He also got his ipad and took a picture of the big bathtub and one of me “
    because I love you and I’ll miss you” <g>. Close to 8 I made breakfast for the 3 of us – eggs and sausage for Ari & SB, egg and bacon for me. Amanda was up shorly before we finished, and started making breakfast for her & Chris.

I took the laptop out onto the porch to get the report caught up, then changed into a swimsuit & got my bag & cooler packed for the beach. Chris & Amanda were going to ride over with us, but Ari was taking longer than necessary to eat breakfast & get
    ready so we did what any responsible grandparents would do and went over without them. We agreed on who would bring what, and SB & I drove over to the Beach House. Between us we managed to get all the chairs, the umbrella, and our beach bag down onto
    the beach. Chris’ family brought their stuff and the cooler, and they arrived not long after we’d gotten there.

I called a friend in Gainesville and talked with him for a bit, then Pete & Judy walked up just as I finished the call. Chris got the tool from the lifeguard and set up the umbrella down at their end of the row of chairs. It was a gorgeous beach day –
    temp got as high as 80 or 81, humidity was low, and the breeze wasn’t too gusty. Fairly early we had a group of dolphins (2-3) swimming along just offshore. Several people had their dogs out to enjoy the beach (think starting Memorial Day they’re
    banned until after Labor Day). The beach was busy but not crowded at all. We had a big tidal pool in front of us, which Ari loved. There were quite a few dead jellyfish along the beach, as the tide was going out.

We had a really nice time out there for almost 3 hours. Ari would run here and there – that kid has more energy than all of us combined, and he can run endlessly (fast, too). SB really enjoyed having Pete around to talk to – that’s much more fun
    than having just me around <g>. Shortly before noon we decided to get something to eat from the food place at the Beach House, but that ended up being a bust. Chris’ family went up first, and the rest of us followed a bit later – running into SB
    coming back with a mai tai for Pete. He’d bought a gold margarita for Amanda and got the mai tai to bring to Pete.

We put the chairs & cooler in the cars, then went up to order food. After waiting for our turn (6 feet away – COVID) we learned they didn’t have what we wanted. So, plan B became going back to the main resort and having lunch in our villa. Pete &
    Judy went to Tide Me Over and came back with a really nice looking sandwich to share. I fixed SB a plate of rotisserie chicken, cole slaw & chips. I cut up some chardonnay bellavitano cheese (bought last night at Kroger) & ate that with crackers and a
    glass of wine.

Chris, Amanda & Ari returned & went to Tide Me Over, but before leaving Ari pinched his finger in the folding doors of their closet. I’d made some star-shaped ice cubes so he got one of those to help it heal faster <g>. However, I guess he was still
    talking about it when they got to Tide Me Over and the Mercantile because he ended up with a chocolate covered marshmallow on a stick for his “boo boo”. I wonder if that will work if you’re in your 60’s and not a cute little kid?? They came
    back with a kids’ hot dog meal for Ari, which is something SB may get some day, and the chicken and waffles.

After lunch Pete & Judy went back to their villa, Chris & Amanda got Ari in the shower and then down for a nap, SB went to watch tv in the bedroom (Pete texted to alert him to a baseball game on tv so SB watched that) and I updated the report & then got
    into the shower. We’d planned to meet for happy hour at 3:45, and it was 1:30 by the time I got in the shower, so as usual the days are flying by way too quickly again!!

Pete called around 2 to say the housekeeping manager had showed up saying “we’re here to move you”. They’re moving all Pete & Judy’s stuff to a 1-br villa downstairs. They’re not letting them in there until the room has been inspected, but
    at least they won’t have to stay in the stench of an ashtray. Disney tried to claim the smell was from the smoking area downstairs (outside) causing the smoke to “waft up” and into the room, but would that explain the cigarette burn on the table
    too? Do burns waft up?

While the others were napping I walked over to Shelter Cove Harbour and then came back and walked through the resort (mostly outside the property to skip wearing a mask). I picked up some golf clubs and golf balls for later tonight, and learned I could
    return them after they closed for the day.

Just before 4 we walked over to Live Oak Lodge to meet Pete & Judy. SB rode with them, and the rest of us got Chris’ car from the free charging station across the bridge. At Skull Creek Dockside the parking lot was busy, and it’s a huge lot. We
    were able to get 2 high-top tables outside, but they were in the sun at first. A fan was blowing so it was hard on the hair! Once the shade moved over us it was really comfortable (except for the fan).

We saw a dolphin swimming by, which was nice. We ordered drinks, and then looked at the various menus (regular, sunset dining, daily specialties). I got the bacon hushpuppies w/maple butter and the tomato soup. SB got the sunset fried flounder &
    shrimp dinner with a caesar salad and cup of red chowder. Judy had the beet salad, Pete got some appetizer, Ari had steak, Amanda had grouper and I’m not sure what Chris had. Everything was very good, but I could tell my food was up first and had sat
    under the warming lights because the soup had that look and the hush puppies weren’t crisp and hot like last time. Tonight the Serg app worked, so we were able to add our checks to get our points, and I redeemed a $15 reward on our check. For every
    250 points they give you $15 to take off a check.

After settling the checks we headed back to the resort. Pete & Judy were in for the night – so was SB. The rest of us walked over to Shelter Cove Harbour and bought pastries at the French bakery over there (Hilton Head Social Bakery). I got a
    chocolate thing and for SB I got the key lime crème brulee. Both were good, but the crème brulee was the winner. Amanda got a molten chocolate cake and Chris got bread pudding. We took the desserts back to the room and snacked on part of them.

It was an early Mothers’ Day tonight, with bags of gifts from Chris & Ari for Amanda & me. I got a beautiful bamboo cheese board, with a drawer that contains the various cutting tools and chalkboard signs to mark which cheese is which. It’s heavy,
    but we’ll take it to Kidani Village in a couple weeks to try it out!

Chris, Amanda, Ari & I went outside to play golf. The putting green (with 4 holes) is across from our front steps, and there’s a big hammock right there. We took turns since we had 3 clubs and 3 balls, and had fun. I even got a hole in one, where I
    overshot the hole but it rolled back on a slight slope. That was more luck than skill! After finishing golf we walked over to the pool area to return the golf equipment, then walked out on the pier.

The sun was almost all the way down, and quite a few people were out on the pier watching and taking pictures. Unfortunately little bugs were also out there feasting on the people – bugs too small to be seen, but you knew they were getting you. We
    headed back to the villa, as by now it was after 8pm and were in for the night.

We discussed plans for tomorrow and came up with something that should work. We’ll do the beach in the morning, but they’ll head back earlier to get Ari some food & an early nap so we can do a late lunch at Frankie Bones. With the late lunch we won
    t want dinner, but we have stuff to snack on in the villa.

Today was a terrific day, and it’s really nice having everyone together – the group meshes really well and we enjoy each other. The perfect weather was a plus, as was the beautiful beach!

Sue/WDW1972

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Rudeney@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 7 08:09:01 2021
    On 5/6/2021 7:58 PM, Sue/WDW1972 wrote:

Actual: It was nice & quiet last night, but I felt like I laid
    there awake most of the night for some reason. It was comfortable,
    and the temperature was perfect, so I’m not sure what the problem
    was. I finally dozed off around 2 and woke up at 5:15 so I guess I
    did get some sleep!

All I have to do is start reading - puts me right to sleep. It takes me
    months to read a book!

SB was awake by 7, and said the sleep sofa was surprisingly
    comfortable. Go figure.

That's unusual. I've never found one to be anything but torture. We
    have a sofa in the living room that's not a sleeper, but it's extra deep
    and the back cushions can be removed so it's about the size of a twin
    bed. DD Lisa sometimes sleeps on it instead of the guest bed when she
    comes over. It's too mushy for me, but better than a sleeper sofa.

changed into a swimsuit & got my bag & cooler packed for the
    beach. Chris & Amanda were going to ride over with us, but Ari was
    taking longer than necessary to eat breakfast & get ready so we did
    what any responsible grandparents would do and went over without
    them.

LOL!

We had a really nice time out there for almost 3 hours. Ari would
    run here and there – that kid has more energy than all of us
    combined, and he can run endlessly (fast, too).

Wow, what it would be like to have all that energy!

Shortly before noon we decided to get something to
    eat from the food place at the Beach House, but that ended up being a
    bust.

We put the chairs & cooler in the cars, then went up to order food.
    After waiting for our turn (6 feet away – COVID) we learned they
    didn’t have what we wanted.

I hear that if you've been vaccinated and the people you are around have
    been vaccinated, that you can actually forget the 6-foot rule and stand
    as closes as 5 feet. :-P

Chris, Amanda & Ari returned & went to Tide Me Over, but before
    leaving Ari pinched his finger in the folding doors of their closet.
    I’d made some star-shaped ice cubes so he got one of those to help it
    heal faster <g>. However, I guess he was still talking about it when
    they got to Tide Me Over and the Mercantile because he ended up with
    a chocolate covered marshmallow on a stick for his “boo boo”. I
    wonder if that will work if you’re in your 60’s and not a cute little kid??

No, I have tried this. It does not.

We’d planned to meet for happy hour at 3:45, and it was 1:30 by the
    time I got in the shower, so as usual the days are flying by way too
    quickly again!!

Of course!

Pete called around 2 to say the housekeeping manager had showed up
    saying “we’re here to move you”. They’re moving all Pete & Judy’s stuff to a 1-br villa downstairs. They’re not letting them in there
    until the room has been inspected, but at least they won’t have to
    stay in the stench of an ashtray.

That's very good!

Disney tried to claim the smell
    was from the smoking area downstairs (outside) causing the smoke to
    “waft up” and into the room, but would that explain the cigarette
    burn on the table too? Do burns waft up?

You know, it really burns me (no pun intended, well, maybe just a
    little) when service people do that, i.e. make excuses. Don't try to
    justify or blame - just admit there's a problem, apologize, and fix it!
    Katie's been waiting tables at a local restaurant since last fall and
    of course I have covered with her all of my "restaurant pet peeves",
    like asking if I want change. The correct response is, "I'll be right
    back with your change," which gives the customer a chance to say, "Keep
    it." And if an order is wrong, don't stand there looking at your book
    trying to figure out who was wrong - just assume the customer is right,
    take ownership, apologize and go back into the kitchen and get it fixed.
    If you want to figure out who screwed up, do it later.

Just before 4 we walked over to Live Oak Lodge to meet Pete & Judy.
    SB rode with them, and the rest of us got Chris’ car from the free
    charging station across the bridge.

You know, not once have I ever left my car at a gas station. :-P

At Skull Creek Dockside the
    parking lot was busy, and it’s a huge lot. We were able to get 2
    high-top tables outside, but they were in the sun at first. A fan
    was blowing so it was hard on the hair! Once the shade moved over us
    it was really comfortable (except for the fan).

We saw a dolphin swimming by, which was nice. We ordered drinks, and
    then looked at the various menus (regular, sunset dining, daily
    specialties). I got the bacon hushpuppies w/maple butter and the
    tomato soup. SB got the sunset fried flounder & shrimp dinner with a
    caesar salad and cup of red chowder. Judy had the beet salad, Pete
    got some appetizer, Ari had steak, Amanda had grouper and I’m not
    sure what Chris had. Everything was very good, but I could tell my
    food was up first and had sat under the warming lights because the
    soup had that look and the hush puppies weren’t crisp and hot like
    last time.

I'll bet both the hush puppies and soup are pre-prepared and just plated
    when ordered. The restaurant Katie works at serves jalapeno
    hush-puppies and that is the one fried item they have ready all the
    time. She knows when we eat thereto find some that have most recently
    been cooked.

It was an early Mothers’ Day tonight, with bags of gifts from Chris &
    Ari for Amanda & me. I got a beautiful bamboo cheese board, with a
    drawer that contains the various cutting tools and chalkboard signs
    to mark which cheese is which. It’s heavy, but we’ll take it to
    Kidani Village in a couple weeks to try it out!

That is a neat gift!

The sun was almost all the way down, and quite a few people were out
    on the pier watching and taking pictures. Unfortunately little bugs
    were also out there feasting on the people – bugs too small to be
    seen, but you knew they were getting you.

We call those "No-see-ums". Some people claim that using Avon
    Skin-So_Soft will repel them. I suspect Off! does a better job.

--

- RODNEY

Next WDW Vacation?
    Who knows!

Need to know more about RADP (rec.arts.disney.parks)?

http://www.radp.org
    http://allears.net/btp/radp_bk.htm
    http://allears.net/tp/abrev.htm

Are you still accessing RADP via Google? Why?
    Get instructions on how to access to the "real"
    RADP Usenet Group here:

http://meets.radp.org/usenet.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)