• Re: Haunted Mansion - DON'T CHANGE A THING!

From SJC@21:1/5 to Jenn Mandelion on Wed Jan 12 13:33:07 2022
    On Thursday, August 27, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Jenn Mandelion wrote:
    DCD wrote:
    The rumors of "changes" to the Haunted Mansion are somewhat disturbing to >me. The Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite attractions, and I could
    think
    of nothing therein that needs improvement.

SUGGESTION TO DISNEY: IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!
    I know the rumor came from a reputable source... but I don't buy it!
    Lots of stuff at WDW has completely sucked lately... and even tho I don't agree with the choices, I can see the corporate reasoning behind the krappy decisions. For example:
    1. Closing Toad - They want the prime real estate to sell more pooh.
    2. Re-Doing Tikis - The show wasn't a large enough draw as it was, so they decided to incorporate two of the new popular characters to give it a new audience.
    3. 20K Sitting Empty - Probably just costs a lot to maintain... so to save
    $, they shut it down.
    4. Adding McDonalds - Parents probably appreciate a place to feed their
    kids (and themselves) cheaply... and in turn are more likely to visit the parks more frequently. And by bringing in McDs, they don't have to lower their dining profit margin, and they have a happy little corporate relationship they can count on for advertising support every time a new Disney movie comes out.
    Those are just a few, and altho a lot of us think they suck... I'm sure we can all see the thinking behind the decision (weasely or not).
    But sticking Robin Williams' voice on two hugely popular attractions? THAT
    IS JUST INSANITY!!! Why would they update two attractions that already have
    a huge draw? Pirates and the Mansion are probably two of the biggest
    percent per gate admission attractions. The only reason they ever renovate stuff is to attract more people to the park, or to advertise a particular property... why would they spend a chunk of change renovating something that people already like?
    Besides... having Robin Williams' presence in Timekeeper and DisneyQuest is enough already. If they use him anywhere else... they run the risk of a marketing disaster. What if Robin is caught on tape screwing a horse or something? I'm being extremely sarcastic, but do you see my point?
    The only theory that holds any weight is that maybe the copyright is running out on the current voice-overs for Pirates and the HM. Does anyone have any idea when these recordings were made... and how long Disney can use them without having to cough up more cash?
    BTW - I have a history for being extremely naive... especially where Disney is concerned. I just can't believe they'd screw with two attractions that
    are already perfect (well, almost perfect... I want the un-PC version of Pirates back). But as a friend mentioned earlier tonight... perhaps I'm giving them too much credit.
    -jenn
    Save Mr. Toad's Wild Ride! <http://www.savetoad.com>

Again, as with before, 25 years.. I agree wuith you and Jenn (David S., I think yiou were on the ROB PLAYS-MIDWAY TO MAIN STRET Youtube channel on the differences between WDW/DL haunted mansion, explaining the reason behind the stretching rooms's
    differennces), and yet again, totally agree, Jenn.. Jenn, the Pirates was done around 1966, Mansion in 1968-69...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)