• Sue's 2021 F&W Trip - Day 5 of 9

From Sue/WDW1972@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 10 16:42:32 2021
    DAY 5 – Wednesday 11/10/21
    Who: Sue (63), DVC Member
    SB (64), husband
    Pete & Judy (60’s), DVC friends
    Bonnie (60’s), Judy’s friend since kindergarten

Plan: Animal Kingdom, Pool, Food & Wine

Actual: Last night at 9:45 we both went out to the balcony and watched the fireworks from Harmonious before going to bed. We seem to be pretty much dead center so it was a great view, and we could hear the music but not as loud as from my Beach Club
    Villas room last month. I slept really well again – the room is comfortable and quiet! We were both up around 4:30, doing online stuff for a while before we had to head out. I made my cappuccino and brought it back to bed.

I got up and took my shower a little after 5:30 and SB followed. Once I was ready I made breakfast – the usual for me and a ham & fried egg sandwich for him. We puttered around the villa a bit until it was time to head for the bus stop at 7 for 7:30
    early entry at Animal Kingdom.

There were quite a few people already at the bus stop, including 2 in scooters. When a bus pulled in I was shocked to see it was Magic Kingdom. However, any disappointment completely went away when I realized the 2 scooter people were going to MK!
    Another bus pulled in behind, with “refueling my pixie dust” on the marqee. Soon that changed to Animal Kingdom and those of us headed there got on that bus. We still had to wait for the first bus to move before we could leave.

For once when approaching the entry the passholders line was very short – shorter than the others. We went through there and were inside the park at 7:29. A little further up they were checking your band to make sure you’re a resort guest, but only
    1 person per party. That took no time at all, and although the app said Flight of Passage had a 5-minute wait, by the time we found the end of the line (halfway to Harambe) it was 20 minutes. The alternative was pay $11 per person but those return
    times were a few hours later at this point. We stuck it out and the line actually moved pretty quickly. I’d estimate the 20 minutes was accurate.

Once inside the building there are several rooms to snake through, but they hadn’t opened all of it up at that point. Masks were not required outside, but once we entered the building a sign and cast member were there to remind us to put them on.
    They’re doing the full preshow again, and after we’d gotten through both of them and the doors should be opening to let us board our banshees, nothing happened. We stood in that room for a while, and eventually a cast member wearing a mask who I
    couldn’t understand because she was talking into a mask led us out of the room the way we’d come in. We ended up back on the ramps where they direct people into preshows.

After a few minutes the problem must have been resolved, as they loaded us back into preshow rooms. Unfortunately we had to endure both preshows again. This time the exit door opened and we were able to ride the attraction. It was great, as usual –
    the best one at Disney for us.

After this I checked with a cast member to confirm the shortcut to Harambe was open (in the past I walked almost the entire way and was turned around and told only the long was was open). We were walking the same path where the line had been when we got
    here, but now they had the people queued up inside the building – with a 45 or 65 minute wait. We went to the safari, which had a 10-minute wait on our way over but 20-minute wait when we arrived. The actual wait was about 10 minutes to get to the
    loading area.

Once there I counted 7 trucks that either stopped and left without passengers or drove right on through without passengers. It was getting ridiculous. The other side was loading onto trucks, so I don’t understand why the right size would get multiple
    trucks and the left would be left standing through 7 trucks. Finally we got onboard, and had a really great safari. Other than the crocodiles being gone and the ostrich not visible, we saw plenty of every animal and pretty much all up and moving around
    rather than laying by a rock or under a tree. The driver was good narrating, too. SB noticed she didn’t say kwaharini at the end, like they normally do.

By now it wasn’t quite 10 but it was a beautiful sunny day so we decided to leave the park. At the entrance we were both surprised by the long lines of people waiting to enter – yuck!! Hope they enjoy lines or have Genie+. We walked to the bus
    stops and our bus was sitting there – we boarded and may have been the only party on the bus.

Back at Boardwalk when we entered the lobby we saw Judy and called out to her. They were headed to Magic Kingdom today, but with her knee she got as far as the bus stop. I think Pete went and got the car to drive her up the hill to the lobby, and they
    convinced Bonnie to go to the park and have some fun. Hopefully they’ll go out today and maybe find a knee brace to help her (or a wheelchair). Otherwise, I don’t see them doing much this trip, which is a shame. We helped her up to their villa,
    and then went to ours to change into swimsuits.

As soon as I got down to the quiet pool it was completely overcast. I stayed, hoping it would clear up a little but it never did – and isn’t expected to today. SB came down and enjoyed the hot tub for a while, then the pool. Around 10 before noon
    we left the pool and walked out to the boardwalk. I secured one of the red metal tables w/chairs while he ordered lunch from the booth out there. He got the double hotdog combo, which ended up being a big chili cheese dog and a separate big plain
    hotdog, and a mountain of fries. I can easily skip ordering fries, but set them in front of me and I can’t help but eat some. He enjoyed his lunch, and said he should be good until Food & Wine later. If I ate half that I’d be done for the day!

We went back up to the villa and found a bag with half a dozen eggs hanging from the doorknob (thanks Pete). SB laid down on the couch watching ESPN while I sat at the table updating the report. I fixed a small plate of crackers & cheese, along with a
    glass of wine. Someone on the Cruise Critic message boards mentioned liking Crunchmasters brand of crackers, so I’d brought a couple varieties to try and really like them.

I have a Teams meeting at 2, and expect to have problems getting into it so around 1:40 I started trying to launch it and join the meeting even though I’d be the first one. The first attempt didn’t work, but the second one did. Then a third was
    trying, but I shut that down since I was in the second one. When I couldn’t get into my work account the other day I set up a personal one, so that was causing confusion.

At 2 the meeting happened, lasting just under an hour. Towards the end I got a call from Big River Grille telling me one of the men at my table left their glasses last night. Since SB doesn’t wear glasses, it had to be Pete. I had her put Pete’s
    name on them, and she’d be putting them in the manager’s office. While I was talking to Pete, Michael from work was trying to call me. When I didn’t answer he started calling on the work phone, so I ended the call with Pete to answer Michael. He
    had me on speaker phone with the rest of our team still in the room. There had been an assignment given that was due by the end of the day, so we talked out the strategy and assumptions, and where to find some of the data needed.

With that done, SB went in to take a shower, and I went in to use the restroom. When I flushed the toilet the water rose up and overflowed onto the floor. Thank goodness there was nothing visible in there, if you know what I mean! I grabbed the paper
    towels and sopped up what was puddled outside the shower, so he could get out and get dressed before I called for help.

I couldn’t get through to the maintenance department – it wouldn’t even ring. After a couple attempts I called the front desk, which is really guest services located somewhere but not here at the resort. The cast member was very helpful and
    apologized for the incident. She immediately dispatched maintenance and housekeeping. The maintenance guy arrived first, in perhaps 90 seconds, lol! Whatever was wrong he fixed (or it self-corrected) within a minute. He used towels to mop up the rest
    of the water, and was gone very quickly. Almost immediately there was another knock on the door – this time housekeeping with the 2 blankets I’d requested and a giant bag full of towels. The maintenance guy only had to use 1 from what I could see,
    so I told that to the cast member and accepted 3 new towels. She left, and right away there was another knock – this time someone from housekeeping with a mop and sanitizing stuff. She did the entire bathroom floor and the entry area by the laundry
    room, then she left. We were impressed with the quick and thorough service!

While in my Teams meeting it started raining – a steady downpour. Checking the weather, it’s supposed to rain through 6pm. Our plans to head to Food & Wine at 4 were shot to hell – just as so many things this trip have been shot to hell. When I
    was talking with Pete, they were staying in. Judy’s knee was feeling better, but we’ll see what tomorrow brings. SB agreed to wait until 6 and head over to Epcot to hopefully do a loop.

In the meantime, my ship is in port and sailing this afternoon to do my itinerary for the first time (we’re the second time). First they were scheduled to depart at 5, then 4, then 3:45 (but now just after 4 it’s still tied up). I thought I’d
    miss it, but now with the rain maybe I’ll see it depart after all. I did watch the ship sail, which was a nice thing. The rain here got extended to 6:45 and then to 9pm. It was a steady rain, and about 10 degrees cooler than expected. Next it
    changed to rain ending around 7pm. This is just nuts, and so frustrating. I’ve been here 5 days now and barely hit Food & Wine, haven’t had sun time at the pool, etc.

Around 5:30 we dressed warmly and walked over to Epcot with a couple umbrellas. It was barely raining at this point, but never completely stopped. SB was fine without using his umbrella but I used mine – and lifted it high when walking close to
    people since otherwise I’d hit them with it. Entering the park we turned to the left and started with United Kingdom.

We made one complete loop but didn’t venture from World Showcase and didn’t consider bothering with any of the attractions. Canada was our first stop, where we got the filet and the cheese soup w/pretzel roll. We took it under the roof of the DVC
    booth and ate there despite not having a table or other flat surface. The filet was a surprisingly big piece, and it was very good. SB basically speared it with a fork and just took bites from it. The soup was easier to eat – we each tried a little
    bit of each other’s item.

We continued walking and saw the Christmas tree was all lit up – I don’t think it was here at all yesterday. Our next stop was in Spain. SB got the paella, which he loved. We were both impressed with the portion, too. He had a plate of yellow
    rice, several big slices of spicy sausage and 3 pretty large whole shrimp. He said it tasted great, and so far is the hit of the festival for him.

Our final stop was at Hops & Barley, where he got the hot beef sandwich. He liked this a lot too, but the paella still beat it. We were done at this point so back at International Gateway we exited the park and walked back to Boardwalk. Before going
    up to the villa we stopped in the Screen Door since SB wanted to get something for Ari. We found something, paid for it, then went up to the villa.

We’re in for the night and might end up turning in early. Although, with Harmonious going off at 9:45 I guess it doesn’t make any sense to try to sleep before it ends at 10:05! Today was another mixed day. We had fun at Animal Kingdom, doing our 2
    attractions as early as possible. Once again the weather was a huge disappointment when it got totally overcast as soon as I got down to the pool. It was even more disappointing when the rain started and lasted for hours. We made the best of it but
    would have enjoyed Epcot far more if it wasn’t raining.

Tomorrow Tiana & Jonell are supposed to be here by 9:15 so we can get to Epcot for early entry at 9:30. We’ll have time for some stuff in Future World before starting Food & Wine by 11. I agreed to help Tiana with checking them in for their December
    5th HAL cruise, and make sure they’ve done everything they’re supposed to do. Unfortunately rain is expected again, so I just hope it blows through quickly so we can enjoy Food & Wine without rain by late afternoon! Pete, Judy & Bonnie hope to join
    us at some point, so hopefully Judy’s knee starts improving.
    Sue/WDW1972

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)