• Retrospective Spring Anime 2020 #1.5

From anthony.baranyi@bell.net@21:1/5 to All on Wed May 6 06:49:13 2020
    I realized a little while after posting “Retrospective #1” last night that I forgot to write about the other Blu-ray series that I re-watched in the past couple of weeks, “Dusk Maiden of Amnesia”. I found the anime to be a fair amount of fun the
    second time through, but the differences with the manga were more pronounced to me this time. I liked the manga a lot and found the combination of humor and darker fantasy to work very well for me. But upon second viewing I found that the approach taken
    in the anime didn’t satisfy me as much.

The basic problem is that the anime compressed many things and changed the focus away from solving the mystery of Yuuko’s missing memories and her death. Instead the relationship between Teiichi and Yuuko is emphasized and dramatized. It also seriously
    changed the relationship between Yuuko and her sister which got rid of strength of the storytelling in the later part of the manga. So while I still enjoyed the anime I would prefer to see the story retold more closely in alignment with the manga story.
    That won’t happen, but at least I still have both versions available for me to enjoy.

Dave Baranyi

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)