• The Summer 2020 Anime Season Limps to a Start

From anthony.baranyi@bell.net@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 8 19:15:18 2020
    Well, the Summer 2020 Anime Season has limped in to underwhelm the entertainment-starved fans. “One Piece” and “Meitantei Conan” are finally continuing. “One Piece” has started out strong while “Conan” started out with an abysmally bad
    filler. In theory “Fugou Keiji” and “Houkago Teibou” will restart at some point but I haven’t found any sign yet.

One interesting second season has started – “Enen no Shouboutai”, aka, “Fire Force” is back. The initial episode was entertaining in an underwhelming manner. The first half was a filler that re-introduced the main protagonists, and then the
    second half was a compilation of two fairly weak comic chapters from the manga. The manga goes in some rather strange directions as it progresses so it will be interesting to see how the anime handles the oddities of the story.

There aren’t a lot of new anime series this season. I’ve already tried two that quickly turned into real write-offs. “Dokyou Hentai HxEros” is a gawdawful attempt at raunchy comedy. Alien monsters suck the libido out of humans and a teen fights
    back with sexually enhanced powers. The writing is horribly inept and the humour is non-existent. The writers and creative team should have watched “Ishuzoku Reviewers” in order to learn something about bawdy comedy. After one episode my final rating
    is F.

The second new show, and coincidentally the second dog, is “Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha”, a fantasy about the rebirth of a super devil king who is much more powerful than his descendants. The writing here is also abysmally bad, as is the voice acting.
    Here the writers and creative team should have spent some time studying “One Punch Man” for clues on how to structure a story about a character with god-like powers. After one episode my final rating is D.

Unless something comes up it looks like I will be watching more old anime again this season.

Dave Baranyi

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From E. Liddell@21:1/5 to anthony.baranyi on Thu Jul 9 13:14:00 2020
    On Wed, 08 Jul 2020 19:15:18 -0700, anthony.baranyi wrote:

Well, the Summer 2020 Anime Season has limped in to underwhelm the entertainment-starved fans. “One Piece” and “Meitantei Conan” are finally continuing. “One Piece” has started out strong while “Conan” started out with an abysmally bad filler. In theory “Fugou Keiji” and “Houkago Teibou” will restart at some point but I haven’t found any sign
    yet.

One source I use gives July 28 as the air date for episode 4 of
    "Houkago Teibou" and July 31 for episode 3 of "Fugou Keiji", so
    it's unsurprising there's no sign yet.

This season looks like it's going to be underwhelming by even
    my (very low) standards.

E. Liddell

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Derek J Decker@21:1/5 to anthony.baranyi on Thu Jul 9 15:37:57 2020

Well, the Summer 2020 Anime Season has limped in to underwhelm the entertainment-starved fans.

<Stuff clipped>

You're right, it looks really thin this season. Nothing like a
    global pandemic to disrupt, well, everything.

Unless something comes up it looks like I will be watching more old
    anime again this season.

Dave Baranyi

Well, not all is lost. Masaki Yuuasa is directing Nihon Chinbotsu 2020
    (Japan Sinks 2020) based on the famous (in Japan) 1973 novel. I have high
    hopes for this, as I'm a fan of his stuff. (Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy, Ping
    Pong the Animation, Lu Over The Wall, Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!, etc)
    As I understand it, it's likeTokyo Magnitude 8.0, but bigger - a family struggles to survive as the entire Japanese island chain, well, sinks.

Also, I caught the first episode of Deca-Dence last night. I was initially hesitant, because it's another post-apocalyptic last small group of
    humans struggling to survive against huge monsters show, but it's well
    set up and executed, so I'm going to stick with it for a while. Liked it
    better than the first Fire Force S2 episode. The pun in the title is off-putting, though.

-Derek

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bobbie Sellers@21:1/5 to Derek J Decker on Thu Jul 9 09:29:34 2020
    On 7/9/20 8:37 AM, Derek J Decker wrote:

Well, the Summer 2020 Anime Season has limped in to underwhelm the
    entertainment-starved fans.

<Stuff clipped>

anime again this season.

Dave Baranyi

Well, not all is lost. Masaki Yuuasa is directing Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 (Japan Sinks 2020) based on the famous (in Japan) 1973 novel. I have high hopes for this, as I'm a fan of his stuff. (Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy, Ping
    As I understand it, it's likeTokyo Magnitude 8.0, but bigger - a family struggles to survive as the entire Japanese island chain, well, sinks.

May be bad timing as Western Japan is suffering severe flooding.

Also, I caught the first episode of Deca-Dence last night. I was initially hesitant, because it's another post-apocalyptic last small group of
    set up and executed, so I'm going to stick with it for a while. Liked it better than the first Fire Force S2 episode. The pun in the title is off-putting, though.

-Derek

bliss

--
    bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From anthony.baranyi@bell.net@21:1/5 to Derek J Decker on Thu Jul 9 11:18:20 2020
    On Thursday, July 9, 2020 at 11:38:00 AM UTC-4, Derek J Decker wrote:

Well, the Summer 2020 Anime Season has limped in to underwhelm the entertainment-starved fans.

<Stuff clipped>

anime again this season.

Dave Baranyi

Well, not all is lost. Masaki Yuuasa is directing Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 (Japan Sinks 2020) based on the famous (in Japan) 1973 novel. I have high hopes for this, as I'm a fan of his stuff. (Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy, Ping

set up and executed, so I'm going to stick with it for a while. Liked it better than the first Fire Force S2 episode. The pun in the title is off-putting, though.

-Derek

Derek -

Thanks for the heads up on Deca-Dence and Nihon Chinbotsu. I'll try out both of them.

Dave Baranyi

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05