• OBIT: Cara Sherman-Tereno

From Will Dockery@21:1/5 to Michael R. Grabois on Wed Oct 11 22:52:57 2017
    On Monday, February 19, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Michael R. Grabois wrote:
    The following news was posted to the Compuserve Comics and Animation
    Forum on 2/17/96 at 12:05 PM CST by Valeria E. Beasley:

======
    Cara Sherman Tereno passed away February 13, 1996 at age 44 after
    battling leukemia. Cara is survived by husband and 3 children.

Cara was active in CAPA-alpha from 1973 through 1985. She attended
    the Kubert School and later landed work as a penciller at DC Comics.

Cara is survived by husband and 3 children.
    =======

Michael R. Grabois | http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mgrabois
    Houston, TX | orbit@ix.netcom.com CI$: 74737,2600 ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Some people call me Maurice, 'cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love."

Early 1970s Star Trek fanzine Romulan Wine zine creator Cara Sherman has passed away.

http://archive.is/UXUa

=============================================================

Way back in 1969, when I was buying a lot of fanzines, I was trying to put together a art folio collection of various good fan artists, called New Dawn. In one such fanzine I bought there was an ad placed by Cara where she was selling her artwork. I took
    one look at the sample and thought, ""Hey! This is GOOD!", and promptly wrote her a letter requesting prices.

Cara published a fanzine called Romulan Wine which was basically dedicated to Star Trek, of which she (and I as well) were big fans. In those pages was the first time my little character( that has always been identified with me), Elmo Jenkins first
    appeared ! (Yep! That's the guy this blog page is named after!). We even collaborated on a comic strip that was published in two issues. She had asked me if I was interested in writing and penciling a strip, and she'd revise and ink it, and we wanted
    something in the Star Trek fashion. I wrote a story about Ancient Vulcan, the main character of which was a chieftain named Mort III. Cara loved it, but was afraid that Gene Roddenberry might not approve, so she wrote him several times, and eventually,
    he did indeed approve of the script and even gave his blessing, making it an authorized part of Vulcan History. She published it in two-parts in her fanzine, and, to my knowledge, it was the first time anything in comic strip format referring to Ancient
    Vulcan was ever published. The one precedent we set in the storyline? The sun on Vulcan rose from the West.

[...]

She did a few fill-in issues of DC's Arion, Lord of Atlantis. We quickly re-newed our friendship...but then, I don't know, I just didn't hear from her anymore.

I heard news of her presence; that she was in various APA groups, doing partial work for various independent titles (like, The American, but for years I wondered what exactly she'd been up to.

So a few years back I thought that since I had access to a world of information via The Net, why not type her name into it and see what came up? Sadly...what did come up was a Tribute to her. Cara had died in 1996 of leukemia, at age 44.

===============================================================

And so it goes.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)