• Get Fuzzy - List of first run strips?

From David Accola@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 14 21:10:57 2022
    That Get Fuzzy is in eternal reruns is, to put it mildly, well documented. But what apparently doesn't exist anywhere is a list of the strips that are first run. Without this knowledge it's pretty well impossible to read Get Fuzzy free of its reruns.

Anyone game to make a list? Or know if one already exists?

(Calling Daryl Heine and Brian Henke!)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jdelachjr2005@gmail.com@21:1/5 to david....@gmail.com on Fri Jan 14 21:55:20 2022
    On Saturday, January 15, 2022 at 12:10:58 AM UTC-5, david....@gmail.com wrote:
    That Get Fuzzy is in eternal reruns is, to put it mildly, well documented. But what apparently doesn't exist anywhere is a list of the strips that are first run. Without this knowledge it's pretty well impossible to read Get Fuzzy free of its reruns.

All I can say is the last new Get Fuzzy daily strips ran the week of November 4 - 9, 2013 (the same week some newspapers like the never rerun-carrying New York Daily News and Washington Post had already dropped the strip in favor of the new strip WuMo).
    The last new Sunday ran March 31, 2019 (more than three months after the Tampa Bay Times dropped it).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Darryl H@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 15 03:56:32 2022
    On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 11:55:20 PM UTC-6, wrote:
    On Saturday, January 15, 2022 at 12:10:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:

All I can say is the last new Get Fuzzy daily strips ran the week of November 4 - 9, 2013 (the same week some newspapers like the never rerun-carrying New York Daily News and Washington Post had already dropped the strip in favor of the new strip WuMo).
    The last new Sunday ran March 31, 2019 (more than three months after the Tampa Bay Times dropped it).

Then why is Andrews-McMeel still offering it to newspapers in rerun abuse without notification to drop the strip for good from all the newspapers still carrying the strip?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David Accola@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 14 21:55:00 2022
    Then why is Andrews-McMeel still offering it to newspapers in rerun abuse without notification to drop the strip for good from all the newspapers still carrying the strip?

Haha! I should've seen this response coming a mile away!

All I can say is the last new Get Fuzzy daily strips ran the week of November 4 - 9, 2013 (the same week some newspapers like the never rerun-carrying New York Daily News and Washington Post had already dropped the strip in favor of the new strip
    WuMo). The last new Sunday ran March 31, 2019 (more than three months after the Tampa Bay Times dropped it).

Thanks for the November 9, 2013 last-new-daily date! That's helpful. That Sunday date, March 31, 2019, is actually *also* a rerun (of March 25, 2018), in spite of its 2019 copyright. Looks to me like the last true first-run Sunday was probably back on
    February 3, 2019.

After running some image-matching algorithms against the "main run" of Get Fuzzy (September 6, 1999 - November 9, 2013), assuming I found everything, which is probably a bold assuming, I see:
    -4463 first run strips (3,903 dailies, 560 Sundays)
    -717 reruns
    ...making for just under 84% original strips during the "main run."

That's followed by 202 more first run Sundays continuing on beyond the "main run" through February 3, 2019.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05