• LNH: Hungry, Hungry Sabertooths! #46: "Shine Your Kube"

From Drew Nilium@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 27 04:40:41 2021
    XPost: alt.comics.lnh

HUNGRY, HUNGRY SABERTOOTHS!
    Issue #46: "Shine Your Kube"
    A tale of living your truth

====

Carolyn Forge, the diabolical Doctor Killfile, was having an excellent day.

Oh, certainly, she'd been annoyed when she learned that her masterpiece, the sabertooth virus, was being used by some Johnny-come-lately giant monster bird. But she had been making so many fascinating scientific discoveries today, confirming some long-held hypotheses, and having some very exciting battles against net.heroes. And fate had just put her in the exact right position to drop a dramatic revelation that she'd been holding onto for a few years now.

Her audience for the revelation, a trio of LNHers, could do nothing but watch as she manipulated the liquid metal body of their comrade, Obscure Trivia Lad. She'd brought him back from deactivation a few years back and rebuilt him into an unwitting spy for the East Coast Brotherhood of Net.Villains.

"I came to Mister Homage, when he was building his Brotherhood, and gave him the plan to steal Obscure Trivia Lad's body and resurrect him. He was only interested in a spy." Her hands moved beneath the silvery skin. His design was truly beautiful - never let it be said her father didn't bring beauty into this world, even if he was incapable of appreciating it. ""I mostly wanted to see if I could do it."

Bulging out from that skin was a Kubrik's Kube, a cosmic containment device she had put there. The necessary twists and turns to activate a Kube were said to be a challenge put forth to entire species, to see if they were worthy of enlightenment; naturally, Doctor Killfile had solved it in a day and a half.

"But..." A click, and the Kube lit up, each side a single grid of color. "I knew
    that having a great store of cosmic energy at hand..." She gave her audience a perfectly-timed grin. "Well, it would have its uses." She drank in their helpless, angry faces. Back in her school days, she'd kept herself busy with STEM work and net.heroing, but really, she should have spent at least a little time in the theater. Ah well.

In the nearby park, the aforementioned giant monster bird, UltraKiwi Wondersock,
    had become a giant *robot* monster bird, MechaKiwi Wondersock, because that was simply the kind of world Doctor Killfile lived in, and it did no good to complain. He was battling against his sister, UltraKiwi, and his father, UltraSixpi. Joining the battle were two giant robots piloted by members of the LNH; however, to even the odds, Wondersock had just summoned four giant monsters
    from recently-discovered universes, calling them the Monster Legion of the Deep Omnilooniverse, as you do.

Normally, this sort of thing wouldn't interest Doctor Killfile except as a scientific curiosity - plenty of data to be had from inter-universal travel and alien visitations, after all. But, even though her day was indeed wonderful, she couldn't let this theft go - and especially not when she would have an audience for the comeuppance.

She directed Obscure Trivia Lad's body to rotate until the Kube was pointed at the battle. She decided to give him one more little treat before letting him go, and leaned in, whispering in his ear. "If it's any comfort, channeling this much energy is certainly going to break the control devices I installed in you. And you'll probably survive." He couldn't move, but she fancied she could feel his shudder nonetheless. It was always nice to be the bearer of good news.

Doctor Killfile focused her powerful will into the Kube, telling it precisely what she needed it to do. It wasn't a good idea to rely on cosmic plot devices for too long, so she'd just use it to steal some power for herself.

Twin beams of electric power lanced out from the Kube - she watched them hit the towering, silver-and-red figures of UltraKiwi and UltraSixpi, and their energy raced back along the connection, into the Kube and into her body!

It was bursting and bubbling with plasma intensity, the light of faraway suns distilled, but her will was like steel, like diamond, like one of the superstrong alloys she'd recently invented. Obscure Trivia Lad passed out, his body losing its humanoid form, floating into the air and becoming a silvery ring
    connected to the Kube by strands of substance.

The light coursing thru her was almost - *almost* more than she could control, but she focused it into ritual, forcing her vocal cords to call out a name. "UltraKiwi."

"KIWI!" a voice from within the Kube shouted to her, and a translucent apparition, UltraKiwi's form of light, appeared to her left, in the same pose she'd taken, arms outstretched.

Good. Now - *focus* - the other. "UltraSixpi."

"SIX PI!" called the voice, and UltraSixpi's form appeared to her right, arms outstretched.

And now the energy was not trapped in her body, but was coursing thru the light-
    forms, an elegant circuit that passed thru her but lightly. Perfect; and now, the cherry atop the ritual.

She raised the Kube over her head, and the light-forms mimicked her. "I'm borrowing the power of light!" she shouted out, a defiant smirk radiating into the sky. "I'm sure you don't mind."

The phantom images swung into her body, and the light became one with her. She could feel her mind and body expanding, hands dropping from the Kube as it became too small to hold, and she took a moment simply to exult in the sensation
    of overwhelming power.

"ULTRA KILLFILE!" shouted the voice. "AERIAL ASTERISM!"

And when her senses came back into focus, she was one of the giants, clad in a copy of the great kiwis' armor, resuited to her form, with some excellent glowing-blue detailing fitting her personal color scheme and suggesting her villainous nature.

UltraKiwi and UltraSixpi were kneeling, drained, their KiwiTimers flashing red. In their absence, the Monster Legion had focused on the giant robots; Great Queen Merissakaiser Z was wrestling the Looniversal Answering Machine while dodging Charbar's flaming basketballs, and Ninjaguar was using one hand to toss giant shuriken at CollectionTitan while katana-dueling Smashup Laq.

And MechaKiwi Wondersock, interrupted in his maniacal cackling, was blinking at her in confusion. "What! An ally to my terrorous plottings!?"

"Hardly." Ultra Killfile cracked her knuckles. "I'm here for my virus."

"*Your* virus?! Hah! Hah hah ha--"

WRUNCH as she punched him in the giant metal face. MechaKiwi Wondersock yelped in surprise and alarm, as she made an impossible, square-cube-law-defying vertical leap and kicked off his chest.

The Monster Legion turned away from the robots to try and stop her, but she cartwheeled in midair, feet landing on CollectionTitan and Charbar's heads, and pushed off, throwing herself high into the air, towards the apex of the Super Quarantine Field surrounding the city.

She could see the glimmer of the tiny metal object, rising up toward the Field. She reached out, at the very peak of her jump, closed her hand around it, and--

Crunch.

Ultra Killfile landed on the ground, serum dripping from her fingers.

MechaKiwi Wondersock, half-sprawled on the ground, stared up at her-- his eyes widened, and he cackled! "Hah! Now the nega-ultra-energy will infect your body! Arise, my servant!"

She kicked him in the face. "Idiot."

"Blurf!" He went down.

The monsters rushed her, but a moment's concentration made the light rush up within her body, and with a clap of her hands, it exploded out, knocking them all back. With the combination of this power and her unbreakable will, she could
    accomplish miracles with ease. Why didn't she simply invent a way to be this powerful all the time?

Because it would make things too easy, of course. Because it wouldn't prove what her heart needed to know - that with nothing but her intelligence and her will and her refusal to compromise, her *self* whole and indivisible, she could change the course of the world.

She took a step forward, and planted one foot on MechaKiwi Wondersock's chest. He gasped in shock and breathlessness, despite not having lungs in this form.

"This is *my* virus," Doctor Killfile declared, "from *my* blood and *my* sweat." She leaned forward, shifting the prodigious weight of her giant form onto his body, and staring him in the eyes, face to face, close enough to hear rivets popping off. "And neither you nor anyone else will profit off my hard work and genius ever again."

She pushed herself off of him, back up onto her feet, and summoned up her stolen
    ultra-energy. Her hands shimmered with the light of stars humans had not yet named, and she swept her arms outward in a dramatic slicing motion. A wave of energy rippled out, slicing through the bonds of nega-ultra-energy that connected Wondersock to his Legion.

The connection was cut, and the enormous, monstrous forms began to shimmer and fade, pulled irresistibly back to their home worlds. "Not only is it home to the LNH, it's also home to several other online universes!" But her threat was hollow; and in a moment, all that was left of the Monster Legion of the Deep Omnilooniverse was a fading echo.

Ultra Killfile glanced over her shoulder. MechaKiwi Wondersock seethed in impotent rage, but would not, could not, stand and challenge her once more. Good. "I am my own villain. No one else's. Remember that."

The giant robots, whose pilots had watched all of this in startled amazement, looked at each other, not sure what to do now. She gave them a charming little smirk and flipped her hair. "Cure my plague, net.heroes. I am done with it." She turned away, walking casually out of the park, throwing them a parting wave.
    "See you next plan."

Her giant form dissolved into glitter, and she let the battles wind on, thinking
    of them no more, mind moving on to the next possibility...

====

Drew "I like her" Nilium

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Scott Eiler@21:1/5 to Drew Nilium on Sat Oct 30 01:31:00 2021

On 2021-10-26 21:40, Drew Nilium wrote:
    The connection was cut, and the enormous, monstrous forms began to
    shimmer and fade, pulled irresistibly back to their home worlds. "Not
    only is it home to the LNH, it's also home to several other online universes!" But her threat was hollow; and in a moment, all that was
    left of the Monster Legion of the Deep Omnilooniverse was a fading
    echo.

Ultra Killfile glanced over her shoulder. MechaKiwi Wondersock
    seethed in impotent rage, but would not, could not, stand and
    challenge her once more. Good. "I am my own villain. No one else's.
    Remember that."

The giant robots, whose pilots had watched all of this in startled
    amazement, looked at each other, not sure what to do now. She gave
    them a charming little smirk and flipped her hair. "Cure my plague, net.heroes. I am done with it." She turned away, walking casually out
    of the park, throwing them a parting wave. "See you next plan."
    Heh, that's a *good* plot thing. We could end this thing in one more
    issue if we wanted!

I can at least end one plot thread for now...

Imperilus stood atop the bodies of about fifty Legionnaires of
    Net.Heroes, whom he had personally knocked unconscious. "Ha! ... Is
    that you, Mashup Laq, little buddy?"

Mashup Laq stood nearby, alongside one other ally whose name escapes
    history right now, looking at Imperilus atop a hill of bodies. "I
    suppose it is."

"Ha. I won. Good enough." Imperilus stepped down. "Tell me, where do
    I go to get a job around here? I could be your bouncer!"

Then a wave of displacement came through. The connection to his home
    universe had been cut. He began to shimmer and fade, pulled
    irresistibly back to...

"Oh no! Ain't going back there! The connection's *cut*, dammit!"

The shimmer around Imperilus flared, then shimmered some more. He faded anyway.

"But in a different direction?", mused Mashup Laq.

Writer's Note... Instant story!

--
    -- (signed) Scott Eiler 8{D> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

"Your Royal Highness, instead of devoting yourself exclusively
    to Minerva, should, instead, rather offer sacrifice at the altars
    of Bacchus, Orpheus, Venus, and Morpheus."

- Advice to Prince Duarte of Portugal. From "The golden age of
    Prince Henry the Navigator", by Joaquim Pedro Oliveira Martins.
    Coming soon to Project Gutenberg.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Drew Nilium@21:1/5 to Scott Eiler on Sat Oct 30 03:45:02 2021

On 10/29/21 9:31 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
    <snip>
    The giant robots, whose pilots had watched all of this in startled amazement,
    looked at each other, not sure what to do now. She gave
    them a charming little smirk and flipped her hair. "Cure my plague,
    net.heroes. I am done with it." She turned away, walking casually out
    of the park, throwing them a parting wave. "See you next plan."
    Heh, that's a *good* plot thing.  We could end this thing in one more issue if
    we wanted!

Depends on how long the issue was. X3 But yeah, we're closing in on the end! I still have a twist or two to throw in there, tho...

The shimmer around Imperilus flared, then shimmered some more.  He faded anyway.

Writer's Note...  Instant story!

Innnnnteresting. So he went to a different dimension? :o

Drew "sent to another dimension" Nilium

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Drew Nilium@21:1/5 to Scott Eiler on Sat Oct 30 05:14:38 2021

On 10/30/21 12:58 AM, Scott Eiler wrote:
    On 2021-10-29 20:45, Drew Nilium wrote:
    <snip>

Why yes!  I have lost track of how many LNH stories are going on right now, but
    I figure he went to any one of those.  Or to any other RACC story, in the unlikely event that people should desire.  Amabel and Dave, I declare him available!  (Yeah, like that will happen.  But there's always more LNH stuff.)

Ahhhhh, gotcha gotcha. :>

Eventually I suppose he shall come back to whatever universe I have resolved by
    next year.  I've already established that an old Wyatt Ferguson has fled the end
    of the Earth, by the time a young Wyatt Ferguson shows up to watch his future.
    (http://www.eilertech.com/stories/neverwas.htm)  I have a scenario for him and
    the whole crew in Powernaut 2021.  (Watch out for the demented old guy with the
    unexpected power!)

Heck yeah!! <3

Drew "gotta catch up on the Powernaut, gotta catch up on a lot of things" Nilium

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Eiler@21:1/5 to Drew Nilium on Sat Oct 30 04:58:48 2021

On 2021-10-29 20:45, Drew Nilium wrote:
    On 10/29/21 9:31 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
    <snip>
    "Cure my plague, net.heroes. I am done with it." She turned away,
    walking casually out of the park, throwing them a parting wave.
    "See you next plan." >>
    Heh, that's a *good* plot thing.  We could end this thing in one more
    issue if we wanted!

Depends on how long the issue was. X3 But yeah, we're closing in on the
    end! I still have a twist or two to throw in there, tho...

The shimmer around Imperilus flared, then shimmered some more.  He
    faded anyway.

Writer's Note...  Instant story!

Drew "sent to another dimension" Nilium

Why yes! I have lost track of how many LNH stories are going on right
    now, but I figure he went to any one of those. Or to any other RACC
    story, in the unlikely event that people should desire. Amabel and
    Dave, I declare him available! (Yeah, like that will happen. But
    there's always more LNH stuff.)

Eventually I suppose he shall come back to whatever universe I have
    resolved by next year. I've already established that an old Wyatt
    Ferguson has fled the end of the Earth, by the time a young Wyatt
    Ferguson shows up to watch his future. (http://www.eilertech.com/stories/neverwas.htm) I have a scenario for
    him and the whole crew in Powernaut 2021. (Watch out for the demented
    old guy with the unexpected power!)

--
    -- (signed) Scott Eiler 8{D> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

"Your Royal Highness, instead of devoting yourself exclusively
    to Minerva, should, instead, rather offer sacrifice at the altars
    of Bacchus, Orpheus, Venus, and Morpheus."

- Advice to Prince Duarte of Portugal. From "The golden age of
    Prince Henry the Navigator", by Joaquim Pedro Oliveira Martins.
    Coming soon to Project Gutenberg.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05