• DIVA: The Curator's Spotlight #3

From deucexm@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 16 23:42:06 2021
    Slowly but surely I'm cracking open the formerly closed environment of Devworld
    and stuffing more stories inside.  Feel free to reply with questions, if you like!  It's a wonderful place, full of Things and Stuff that still have yet to
    be properly defined; Schroedinger's MMO, perhaps.

========

The Curator's Spotlight: A DiVerse Alpha Chronicle
    by Felix

03: Second Chances

=====

AUTHOR'S NOTE

"My experience is not universal and I'm no authority on the matter, but if my words help you come to terms with whatever you're going through, then my time was well spent.

May you find peace in your Heart and Mind and Metal."

- Luther Irrelevant (Grad.)

===

SECOND CHANCES

Some players come to Devworld by choice.  They get invited, or chosen, and they
    Dive - knowing that they can go back to their old life whenever they want - and
    that tempers their experience here.

Some don't.  Some of them are like me.

Before I was L.I., conqueror of a thousand battlefields, tactician, strategist,
    explorer - before any accolades or legends or anything earned under the deep violet skies - I was nothing but a sickly child, destined to die on a care-bed in some nameless hospital, in some nameless city, on some nameless planet.  The
    names don't matter; you could replace them with anything.

What matters is that I never had a future to speak of.  And when on one fateful
    night I was offered an escape from it, there was no way but forward.  I never even considered going back to my old life after my first Dive; as far as I was concerned, there was no 'old' life to go back /to/.  There was only now; only this.

I don't know what happened to my old body and I don't particularly care.  I doubt it survived long without my vital essence sustaining it, which it did mostly out of bitterness toward the world.  What matters now is that I have a future... and a /present/.  From the very first moment I could do things my old
    body never could; things I suspect are unimaginable for those outside Devworld.  
    Such are the wonders I've seen.

And anyone who comes here with nothing, as I did so long ago, has the world opened up for them in just such a way.

I wonder sometimes, in my idle moments, what it seems like on the outside.   People that were terminally ill, simply... falling silent.  No soul, no Heart and Mind, since those are here now.  I wonder if people blame 'the game'.  I wonder if they even know, if they can make the connection.  I've never talked to
    anyone who knew the useless me from back then; there was no one there to connect
    with, so I never had friends to speak of.

But like everything else about my too-short old life - it doesn't matter at all,
    save that it happened and brought me here.  I was given a second chance - not just at life, but at /existence/ itself.

Devworld doesn't care what you look like, how old or young you are, what's wrong
    with your body (or right with it).  All that matters is whether you want to be
    here, and to take the second chance you've been given and make something of it.  
    There's something special about that.

(In fact, I suspect #####

[[ REDACTED HL_AUTH ]]

##### so that's mostly theoretical.)

The point of all this is: if you are here out of necessity, as a last resort; if
    you're untethered, whether you knew it coming in or your link to the outside world was cut without warning - don't look at it as if you're trapped here.   There is so much to do, so much to see, to /be/, to /learn/; there are secrets even I haven't uncovered yet, I'm sure of it.  There's so few boundaries to keep
    you from whatever it is you want to do.  (They exist, but they're rare, far more
    so than in 'the real world'.)

Second chances are a treasure beyond imagining.  Make the most of yours, because
    you were given one when you came here, whether you see it now or not.

===

CURATOR'S NOTES
    (Akasha, Head Librarian)

A lovely and stirring piece, really; but even if you're a much-storied legendary
    hero, I can't have you spoiling the surprise, now can I?  Not even unintentionally.

(Logia, associate librarian)

"Heart and Mind and Metal" is the official tagline for the commercial product version of Devworld.  It also refers to the three components that classically define a 'sentient being', Intellect, Emotion, and Form.  "Metal" is occasionally used in quotes to indicate the nebulous nature of reality within Devworld - but only by players, never in any sales products.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From deucexm@21:1/5 to deucexm on Wed Oct 20 19:42:46 2021
    On Saturday, October 16, 2021 at 6:42:07 PM UTC-5, deucexm wrote:

[[ REDACTED HL_AUTH ]]

After some negotiation, Akasha has agreed to provide the original material in this section for your edification, under the condition that - should you find yourself in Devworld, or meet any Divers in your own realm - you never mention it to anyone else.

I wouldn't cross her, personally. Librarians are intimidating.

FULL_TEXT
    (In fact, I suspect Devworld was intentionally designed to disassociate players from their old bodies. Supposedly there's a hidden side of the game, if you can
    access it through whatever protections are there, in game or in code. I've seen
    a handful of strange items and unusable skills that could point in that direction, but it really depends on how you interpret the text and parameters so
    that's mostly theoretical.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Drew Nilium@21:1/5 to deucexm on Thu Oct 21 02:55:42 2021
    On 10/20/21 3:42 PM, deucexm wrote:
    On Saturday, October 16, 2021 at 6:42:07 PM UTC-5, deucexm wrote:

[[ REDACTED HL_AUTH ]]

After some negotiation, Akasha has agreed to provide the original material in this section for your edification, under the condition that - should you find yourself in Devworld, or meet any Divers in your own realm - you never mention
    it to anyone else.

I wouldn't cross her, personally. Librarians are intimidating.

FULL_TEXT
    (In fact, I suspect Devworld was intentionally designed to disassociate players
    from their old bodies. Supposedly there's a hidden side of the game, if you can
    access it through whatever protections are there, in game or in code. I've seen
    a handful of strange items and unusable skills that could point in that direction, but it really depends on how you interpret the text and parameters so
    that's mostly theoretical.)

I'd seen the rest before, but not this - how *intriguing*. :D Almost like this game is inherently an engine for transformation, mwahaha n.n

Drew "not that I would know anything about that" Nilium

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05