• RACCies: 2017-2018 (24th & 25th Biennial) RACCies Ceremony

From Drew Nilium@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 1 01:05:50 2021
    Content warning: The 45th President of the United States of America.

.....oooooOOOOO(*)OOOOOooooo.....

Author's Note: The RACCies and their defending heroes are marooned by the Hungry Past!

(signed) Scott, 19 June 2017.

..... Re-presenting the end of the 2016 RACCies adventure .....

Our Heroes are January Frost, Mary Mystery, MaryBeth the Hit Girl, and Love Princess Gorgoneion. All others have been left behind by the pace of this good old time RACCies cascade. Our Heroes have been thrust toward another universe, to seek an old threat.

But they get stuck, somewhere in a sea of fog.

From out comes an old man with a hat, some long black hair, and a death face. He says, "Oh, right. You must be here for him." The death face disappears. He
    leads on...

Mary Mystery recognizes the death face. She follows. Everyone else follows behind.

Beyond the fog... An older man with a shock of wild orange hair, is driving a golf cart. "Hooray, I can do this for myself when I'm on my meds!"

The former death face has taken on human form. He speaks softly to Our Heroes. "You can call me Wyatt. On behalf of my universe, I apologize for a Trump incursion last year. That was *that* one." He points at the man in the golf cart. "He came back crazy. Or maybe sane. Either way, he will be no further trouble to you."

Mary and Wyatt nod. Mary turns the others away.

January Frost asks first. "What the hell was that?"

Mary Mystery responds. "Oh, just my great-uncle or something, who's the Avatar of Death now, and he's keeping track of President Trump."

"... You mean, he's *your* President?"

"Oh, Trump? Yeah. Is it that unusual?"

"I guess not..."

Then a howling came from behind. Love Princess Gorgoneion was standing straight, but backed by a howling void. Howling! It needed saying more than once.

<-- to be continued -->

NEXT: The Hungry Past!

January Frost yelled, "Watch Out! It's the Hungry Past!"

Mary Mystery yelled, "Watch Out! It's Ultimate Darkness!"

MaryBeth the Hit Girl just yelled, "Watch out!" Then she tackled Love Princess Gorgoneion to the ground.

The room filled with darkness.

The next thing they knew, one little pinprick of light came from behind them. They ran toward it.

The four women emerged in an arena, under a banner.

o o o o o o o
    o o o The 2017-2018 o o o
    o o o o -->(24th & 25th Biennial)<-- o o o o
    o o o RACCie AWARDS! o o o
    o o o o o o o

January Frost exclaimed. "What?? It's been *two years??*"

Two people walked up. One was dressed in androgynous street clothes including LNH tshirt, the other in a yellow superhero cape and blue mask. The one in the street clothes said, "We volunteered to welcome you back. I'm Writer's Block Person, and this is the Powernaut. The one from 1987, that is." The one in the
    costume waved hello.

MaryBeth looked curiously at the Powernaut. "Why are you wearing that mask? Are you an assassin, with those bright colors?"

He shrugged, and took the mask off. "No, not an assassin. And I guess here in the future, I don't need the mask." His face looked like Jeff Goldblum's, only with more chin.

Mary Mystery snarked. "You, I recognize. Are you here for the comic relief?"

The Powernaut grinned down. "For you, I am 'cause you need it."

January Frost looked at Writer's Block Person. "And you represent the LNH?"

"Yeah. I'm even from *your* LNH!"

"Okay. You must be new, and you too, Mister Powernaut." The Powernaut was taken aback, as January Frost continued. "I read the multiversal briefings. The ones your Duck helps write, that is. He posts those on every Internet he comes to." She turned to address both him and Writer's Block Person. "Apparently we owe our freedom to new heroes, you two and others like you. Thank you."

Love Princess Gorgoneion asked no one in particular, "What happened?"

Writer's Block Person responded, "To you? You got swallowed by the Hungry Past when the last RACCies were over. You only got to come back when we resumed the RACCies!"

"So what happened to those?"

"They've had a rough patch. Whatever you did, whatever you found, you saved the
    2016 ceremony from interference, but 2017 was a wash. Still, the Writers kept writing, and the rest of us kept adventuring, and we brought the RACCies back. That opened a way for you to return... Welcome back.

"Now let's go see the ceremony. We saved you a table."

Writer's Block Person, the Powernaut, January Frost, Mary Mystery, Mary Beth, and Love Protectress Gorgoneion found a table and sat back to watch the ceremony.
    Pointless Awards Man Episode XVIII: Do You Admire Your Mother's Anarchist Criminal Record Against the Doomsday Empire was hosting, and having finished his intro speech already, he smoothly began presenting the awards...

...and before you knew it, he was done!

"Wait, what?" Love Protectress Gorgoneion jumped up! "I thought this was gonna be a fun superhero party!"

"Yeah!" said Mary Mystery. "I was looking forward to smashing tables and meeting people from different universes!"

"Indeed," said January Frost. "I don't mind the rest, but this feels extremely anticlimactic."

MaryBeth didn't say anything, because oh god it's been so long since I read anything she was in.

"Okay, well, see," said Writer's Block Person, holding up their hands, "the thing is, there's some projects my brain's been stuck on for a long time. I've gotten past some of them, but this is the biggest one left, and it's already two years late, making up for something else that was a year late. So, once I managed to get back on the writing horse, I decided I didn't want to delay it any longer. ...and then I fell back *off* the writing horse and got back on months later and was like, okay, fuck it, this needs to go out *now* so we as a group can move forward."

The Powernaut clapped his hands over Mary Mystery's ears. "*Language*!"

Mary Mystery pulled away and stamped her foot. "I demand closure! I demand satisfaction!"

"I get you wanna move on," said Love Protectress Gorgoneion, "but we need a nice big reason to move on too!"

"Hmmmmm, a reason to move on... reason to..." Writer's Block Person snapped their fingers. "The best one I've heard in a while - Donald Trump isn't President anymore!"

"Oh!" Love Protectress Gorgoneion clapped! "That's great!"

"Whew!" said Mary Mystery. "All right, I'm in."

MaryBeth gave a thumbs-up!

"I still have questions," said January Frost.

"Too late!" said the Powernaut heroically, pointing out towards the brilliant shining future. "Time for the afterparty!"

THE "SPIDER SPINS!" LITTLE LULU WEB PAGE AWARD:
    Ripping Off King Arthur < https://www.rippingoffkingarthur.com/ >

THE JOHNNY SOKKO "COME BACK, GIANT ROBOT, COME BACK" LOVING CUP:
    Saxon Brenton

THE RABBIT-BREEDER'S CUP:
    Scott Eiler

THE DOCTOR STOMPER BRONZE BOOT FOR EXCELLENCE IN EXPOSITION:
    Your Guide to the Pulse War v1.0

RACC21. FAVORITE NEW TITLE:
    Daylighters

RACC20. FAVORITE NEW WRITER:
    Held in trust for future writers!

RACC19. MOST IMPROVED AUTHOR:
    Tom Russell

RACC18. FAVORITE RUNNING GAG:
    Doctor Refuse2Amuse

RACC17. BEST DISCUSSION:
    Theme Songs [May 2017]

RACC16. FAVORITE PERSON WHO HANGS OUT ON RACC:
    TIE: Jeanne Morningstar and Tom Russell

RACC15. FAVORITE STORY UNIVERSE:
    DiVerse

RACC14. FAVORITE REVIEW TITLE:
    The Tribulations of Kid Review

RACC13. FAVORITE DRAMA/ACRAPHOBE:
    Daylighters

RACC12. FAVORITE ACTION/ADVENTURE:
    Daylighters

RACC11. FAVORITE PARODY/COMEDY:
    Writer's Block Person

RACC10. FAVORITE TEAM/GROUP:
    The Daylighters

RACC9. FAVORITE NEW CHARACTER:
    Maile Akaka

RACC8. FAVORITE SUPPORTING CHARACTER:
    Psychovant the Duck

RACC7. FAVORITE VILLAIN/ANTAGONIST:
    Marvel Zombie Lad

RACC6. FAVORITE HERO/PROTAGONIST:
    Rosewood

RACC5. FAVORITE SINGLE ISSUE:
    What You Love

RACC4. FAVORITE ARC:
    The Pulse War

RACC3. FAVORITE MINI-SERIES:
    Royals

RACC2. FAVORITE ONGOING SERIES:
    Daylighters

RACC1. FAVORITE WRITER:
    Felix (DeuceXM)

Adventure Writer's Notes:

Drew is stepping back into the "Ceremony" role. Which makes sense, 'cause they're counting the votes. They've asked me to provide a bit of adventure this year, though. Since we're cutting down the drama level for the RACCies, I've kept it minimal. I've merely conscripted the two characters who currently best represent the two Writers who are working on these RACCies. They thereby represent all of RACC, which is still writing and still adventuring.

I'm rusty at writing a text adventure, but I think I'm getting it now. The dialogue seems to be the important part of this one. And it's just as well I don't get to see the vote count, because I might get snarky if we don't get a decent turnout.

(signed) Scott

Election-Runner's Notes:

Haha oh lord. At this point, I figured it was best to just release the results, but I didn't want to toss out Scott's handsome opening sequence, so cobbled together a quick denoument.

I think I'll be up to put together a 2019-2020 election soon, but I'll definitely let Scott do the ceremony for that one, if he wants. X3;

Drew "haha oof" Nilium

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From deucexm@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 1 06:10:30 2021
    Love it.

There's a very palpable sense of relief in many ways since the transition of the
    former guy, and even though I'm still dealing with a lot of personal and professional stuff, this is a much-needed reminder of the sort of thing that makes
    me really come alive - writing and creating and just throwing ideas around and playing with them and seeing how they grow and evolve. The DiVerse wouldn't be half
    of what it is without everyone to bounce things off of and refine my rough and nebulous ideas before I sit down to write, and that means the world to me when I
    have precious few friends who will do that. So... thanks. <3

If I can manage to drag myself off the proverbial floor and start writing again,
    there's one particular crossover that's been on my mind for a while now; but, we'll see...

- Felix

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Amabel Holland@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 1 18:15:36 2021
    Oh, gosh, this was a very pleasant surprise! And I'm especially happy that people seemed to really dig Daylighters - especially as I only had posted three issues during the eligible period. :-)

Best,

Amabel

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Drew Nilium@21:1/5 to Amabel Holland on Sun May 2 04:07:34 2021
    On 5/1/21 2:15 PM, Amabel Holland wrote:

Dangit, I forgot to change your name in it.

Oh, gosh, this was a very pleasant surprise! And I'm especially happy that people seemed to
    really dig Daylighters - especially as I only had posted three issues during the eligible
    period. :-)

Your stuff packs quite the punch per issue! :>

Drew "badoosh" Nilium

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Drew Nilium@21:1/5 to deucexm on Sun May 2 04:31:00 2021
    On 5/1/21 2:10 AM, deucexm wrote:
    <snip>
    The DiVerse wouldn't be half
    of what it is without everyone to bounce things off of and refine my rough and
    nebulous ideas before I sit down to write, and that means the world to me when I
    have precious few friends who will do that. So... thanks. <3

Hell yeah. :D That's a lot of how I feel about my writing.

If I can manage to drag myself off the proverbial floor and start writing again,
    there's one particular crossover that's been on my mind for a while now; but, we'll see...

yessssssss :D

Drew "I've finally kicked back into gear" Nilium

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Eiler@21:1/5 to Drew Nilium on Tue May 4 19:47:42 2021
    On 2021-04-30 18:05, Drew Nilium wrote:

Election-Runner's Notes:

Haha oh lord. At this point, I figured it was best to just release
    the results, but I didn't want to toss out Scott's handsome opening
    sequence, so cobbled together a quick denoument.

I think I'll be up to put together a 2019-2020 election soon, but I'll definitely let Scott do the ceremony for that one, if he wants. X3;

Drew "haha oof" Nilium

Heh, I'll give it a shot. Does anyone have any characters they would particularly like to be involved? Otherwise, I'll probably pick
    characters which won stuff on 2017-2018. Looking at you, Daylighters.

And I'm gratified Psychovant the Duck got an award purely on his merits
    as a character, not just for being the only review duck in any
    particular year. It must have been for the first time he invaded Power
    School.

--
    -- (signed) Scott Eiler 8{D> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

"Your Royal Highness, instead of devoting yourself exclusively
    to Minerva, should, instead, rather offer sacrifice at the altars
    of Bacchus, Orpheus, Venus, and Morpheus."

- Advice to Prince Duarte of Portugal. From "The golden age of
    Prince Henry the Navigator", by Joaquim Pedro Oliveira Martins.
    Coming soon to Project Gutenberg.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Drew Nilium@21:1/5 to Scott Eiler on Fri May 7 02:16:43 2021
    On 5/4/21 3:47 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
    <snip>
    And I'm gratified Psychovant the Duck got an award purely on his merits as a character, not just for being the only review duck in any particular year.  It
    must have been for the first time he invaded Power School.

He's an *extremely* fun character. :>

Drew "chaotic in the story-creating way" Nilium

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05