• LNH/LUNA: The Liminals #8: Motivationquest part 3: Guilty Feet Ain'

From Drew Nilium@21:1/5 to Jeanne Morningstar on Tue Dec 15 05:08:13 2020
    XPost: alt.comics.lnh

On 12/14/20 4:15 PM, Jeanne Morningstar wrote:
    THE LIMINALS
    #8: "Motivationquest part 3: Guilty Feet Ain't Got No Rhythm"
    A boss fight by Jeanne Morningstar

:D

Masterplan Lad, guardian of the narrative; Victoria Arden--Forsaken Lass, survivor of Limbo; Alice Ashdown--Net.Access, champion of crossovers; and Manga
    Girl--Sakura Mangas, synthetic senshi of creativity!  They are four young net.heroes who fight to understand themselves and the worlds they inhabit, moving between the heroism of the LNH and the uncanny strangeness of the Lunaverse--the Liminals!

I love this opener so much

Masterplan Lad took a deep breath. He remembered the "54321 "exercise, a classic
    meditation exercise to clear his mind and reground himself in his body he'd learned from the Knights Temporal and discussed in therapy. You thought of five
    things you could see, four you could touch, three you could hear, two you could
    smell, and one you could taste.

He looked around and saw:

1. The burning bodies of the damned
    2. Demons rejoicing and torturing the damned
    3. Giant skulls and bones of unspeakably ancient beings that were scattered around
    4. Creatures that it was hard to even describe what they were
    5. A man who was half-buried head-down in the ground who had, for some reason,
    sheet music tattooed on his posterior

The scenery wasn't helping his anxiety very much.

God I love this sequence so much. X3

This wasn't making him feel any better at all, he had to admit. He thought about
    the sense of taste. All he could taste was ash on his lips. But he remembered his therapist told him that if there was nothing he was tasting, he could think
    about other things he'd tasted before. So he thought of:

1. The taste of Maria's lipstick.

That made him feel a little bit better.

awwwwwww <3

"Yeah, it's a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't wanna live here," said Maria.

That's the trenchcoater-est thing.

He pointed to something else coming their way: a shoe-shaped shadow. The shadow
    was being cast by a shoe wearing a red cape, with small horns jutting out of its
    tongue (the shoe part, not the actual tongue). "The March of Mephisto" by Kamelot was playing somewhere in the background (where it was coming from was not clear, possibly from the level of Hell above this, Loud Music Hell).

Love it, love it. X3

The Shoe Devil chuckled, ignoring her. "Hello again, Maria."

"Boy," said Maria, "I sure do end up in Hell a lot.

X3

"Are you sure you want to fight me?" said the Shoe Devil. "Your Writer has been
    responsible for so much pain and frustration in your lives. You can probably do
    without them."

"Hey, don't talk about me like I'm not there!" said Jeanne.

X3

"Yeah, you can skip the temptation speech," said Maria. "I already made that mistake once. You have nothing to offer me I could possibly want."

"Nothing?" said the Shoe Devil.

It was the soul of a dissolute, worn-down-looking middle aged man, screaming and
    twisting in the flames. This was the Anonymous Trenchcoater.

"Dad?"

DUN DUN DUNNNNN...

"I'm thinking," she said. She turned to the Shoe Devil. "All right. I'll make the deal."

Gasp, etc.

Instead of a pen, she took out a small glass flask of water and threw it right
    in the Shoe Devil's face. The Shoelike Satan screamed as flames flared up around
    him. "I had a feeling I'd be dealing with you again, Calceus. So I came prepared. That's holy water prepared by the Discalced Carmelites. Your favorite."

:D

"Yeah, I was never gonna betray them," said Maria. "Not if you went after Vic.
    Or even my Writer. See, I'd sell my grandmother for a candy bar--as long as it's
    good candy bar--but I'll never let anyone hurt another trans girl on my watch."

FUCK YEAH! LOVE IT! :D

"Yeah, well. You talk a good game, but you should be vulnerable now that that holy water cast a poison-type debuff on you," said Maria.

Heck yeah. :D

Net.Access, Forsaken Lass and Manga Girl smashed away the Shoe Devil while Masterplan Lad and Maria stood on the sidelines, healing their comrades and casting debuffs on the Shoe Devil. They seemed to make very little dent on the
    demon lord, who laughed mockingly.

Curse you, toku trope of a character of a higher power level no-selling characters of lower power levels no matter how fearsome they've been in the past!

Jeanne pulled their chainsword out of... somewhere and pressed the button on the
    side. The Spawn-esque magical girl costume flowed in around them. "CRY FOR THE
    MOON!" they shouted as they swung their sword at the Shoe Devil.

Heeheehee <3 <3 <3

Alice took a step back as Jeanne charged in. Flames burst out all around them.
    She looked the ostrich, who was warily surveying the battle, in the eye."Look,"
    said Alice to the ostrich. "I know we don't trust each other yet. But right now,
    your help."

The ostrich chirped affirmatively.

Love it. <3

She shifted into Transformer form, and Fastball Specialed the ostrich right at
    the Shoe Devil.

X3

The Shoe Devil began to glow, charging itself up, and slammed down directly onto
    Jeanne, tossing the others aside, stamping up and down on them repeatedly, grinding them into nothing...

Wow jeez :o I can't wait to see how-- oh there's a second part

Drew "very good feelsy" Nilium

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Drew Nilium@21:1/5 to Jeanne Morningstar on Tue Dec 15 06:41:49 2020

On 12/14/20 4:23 PM, Jeanne Morningstar wrote:
    <snip>
    Jeanne groaned, pressed deep into the ground of Hell by the Shoe Devil's attack.
    With the lack of motivation they were finding it harder to fight, move, harder
    even to breathe.

"Jeanne!" heard a rather familiar, very cute voice in the distance.

"Drew?"

Awwwwww. >#>

"Yeah, I know. I can't help you directly, but I can give you a boon. See?" They
    waved their Knitting Needles of Continuity and intoned "Boon, boon, booooooon!"

X3

A glowing boon symbol appeared in the shape of the rainbow UCX icon Drew uses on
    all social media.

Yessssss

Jeanne touched it and was infused with holy ununnilic
    power!

I have to steal that word

"I get it now," said Jeanne. "I may not have enough motivation on my own, but I
    don't have to be on my own! I have Drew, I have other friends and people I rely
    on, and we can draw on each other! Everyone who writes or comments is helping!"

yessssssss :D

Jeanne resolved to give Drew some nectar the next time they saw them, or maybe
    some comics.

^#^

They leaped up into the air, spun around, shifted their weapon back into swordmode, slashed at the Shoe Devil with their sword, and kicked it in the face. "HELLFIRE KICK!" they shouted. A burst of pink fire shot out of their feet
    as their kick landed.

yesssssss

With their burning chain they traced the shape of a heart
    bound by a crown of thorns with a flame above it--the Sacred Heart--in the air.
    "HELLBOUND HEART!" The heart burst in and struck the Shoe Devil right in the face. "LOVELY!" it screamed.

yessssss :D :D :D

Jeanne made a triumphant pose, and then keeled
    right over. Having made their finishing move, they were finished. The Shoe Devil
    was still there, though its flames were starting to sputter.

GASP!

"You are nothing more than insects," said the Shoe Devil. "And I am the shoe which will crush you to oblivion!"

"Yeah, well, I'm going to leave a nasty stain that will take forever to clean off!" said Manga Girl.

X3

"I'll finish you before it takes too long. I have to make some trade negotiations with Net.phisto at four, and well, frankly I'm hoping I can skip that, but I'm getting bored enough with this fight i'd rather be at a meeting."

Wow, harsh, you don't gotta be like that dude

The others were all holding back now. They were worn down, but Manga Girl only
    seemed to be growing stronger and stronger. The divine creative energy that had
    been held inside her was rushing out all at once. No one else could keep up with
    her, not even Net.Access--in her magical girl form, she wielded divine power, but Manga Girl *was* divine power.

ooooooooh. :o I see!

Her body began
    to expand, her muscles growing larger and more powerful, her flesh began to twist and bubble and shift. When she was doens, he was a towering, muscular, satyr-like figure with hairy on her legs and back. Goat-like horns jutted out of
    her head. There was a huge, unblinking eye on her chest and others on her arms

daaaaaaaaaaamn :o

"Hahahahaha! Fool! You have unleashed the true depths of my power! I am--DEVIL
    MANGA!"

X3 OF COURSE

"Uh," said the Shoe Devil. For the first time, his smarmy confidence had been dented just a little.

X3

She was mutating. As the fight went on, her body was stretching out more, drawn
    with scratchier lines and there were progressively more and more eyes on it. Everyone knew that the battle was now between the two of them, and the others would be lucky if they survived, whoever won.

Astounding.

He knew he could not
    shift the plot or move out of it; this was something that had been built into his character arc for a long time. He could picture the moment before it happened, and even as he was fighting against it with all his might he knew it
    was no more possible to move out of the way than to stop the rising of the sun.

Ooooooh, yeah, damn. Relatable.

"Wait just a minute," said the Shoe Devil, as he gazed into the layers of the narrative. "So... you're fighting me and you're fighting in the LNHQ *at the same time*... in an issue that was actually posted a while ago... and it's not
    even clear where on the timeline it takes place? That does it. Get out of here.
    And you can have your motivation back, I don't care."

X3 <3

As they shot up from Hell, the hellfire burned away at them like a space craft
    in reentry. Jeanne held out a force bubble to shield them from it, shivering and
    screaming, holding it together even as the hellfire caught ahold of them and they started burning.

Phoenix-tastic!

"Hnng. I'm never doing that again," said Jeanne, pulling themself up off the sidewalk. They looked like a gnarly Todd McFarlane-style revenant, a walking corpse barely held together by force of authorial will, with patches of hellfire
    bursting out of their body.  But they were, more or less, alive.

Holy cow.

But Manga GIrl was still transforming. "Please..." she growl/whimpered "...help
    me. I can't stop."

Holy cow!!

Masterplan Lad stood up, swaying on his feet, and touched his Plot Device to her. He knew that in the other story thread the Plot Device had already been destroyed. He knew that if he didn't try to exert his Plot Device, there was a
    chance he could still hold it together, but if he used it to draw away her excess creative energy, it would shatter to pieces.

He didn't even hesitate.

Yessssssssssss

"No," said Maria. "No."

I disagree

The violet energy left Manga Girl's body and was drawn into the Plot Device like
    lightning. It silently crumbled away into dust. Masterplan Lad fell to the ground. He was pale and tired, only inches away from death.

aaaaaaaaaaa so good

"Of course." Jeanne let out a deep sigh. "Now I have to deal with being a fictional character on top of everything else."

I know right

This was the
    cosmic authorial aspect of Jeanne, who everyone immediately thought of as "The
    Morningstar." Like a certain other cosmic entity of that name, they resembled David Bowie a bit, but more the Ziggy Stardust/Aladdin Sane version than the Thin White Duke one.

Oh lovely.

"I can," said the Morningstar, "but there's a cost."

"You don't have to give me that cornball speech about magic and narrative cost,"
    said character!Jeanne. "I remember. I wrote it." [Hungry, Hungry Sabertooths #6]

:3

The Morningstar nodded. "To save MPL, you will have to give up your own authorial power. You will be completely separated from me and exist as a character in the story."

Dun dun dunnnnn!

"Well, it beats dealing with the academic job market." Jeanne laughed.

I mean, valid.

"Well, I got a motorcycle out of the deal. That's something, I guess... wait, why is my symbiote suit PINK?"

"Well," said the Mornignstar, "Drew's costume as Writer's Block Person is purple, so since they're purple you have to be pink, by the laws of anime lesbianism."

Yessssssss. :D

"But Drew is much more the pink girl in personality terms and I'm more the purple girl."

"I know, I know," said the Morningstar, "you'll have to ask WBP why they're purple when you meet them, OK." And with that, they were gone.

:3 <3 <3 <3

Then they heard the chittering of kiwis. A patrol of power armored kiwis marched
    in toward them. After Alice tried to explain the situation but really couldn't,
    they performed first aid and got the bodies of MPL and Manga GIrl on stretchers.
    The kiwis bore them into the LNHQ, with the two net.heroines, the ex-writer, the
    trenchcoater and the ostrich following silently after.

Ah man, gotta figure out where this part goes on the timeline...

Sheet music: the legendary "butt song from Hell" from Hieronymus Bosch’s Garden
    of Earthly Delights. [https://news.artnet.com/art-world/bosch-butt-song-from-hell-309732]

"Capacious pockets": a phrase often used to describe the Fourth Doctor's pockets
    in Terrance Dicks's novelizations.

The Discalced Carmelites: an order of Catholic nuns that is a branch of the Carmelite order, following its' founders original vow of poverty, including not
    wearing shoes. "Discalced" is Latin for "without shoes."

Love it.

Next: The battle with the Shoe Devil is over. Who will survive, and what will they become?

Drew "dun dun dunnnn!" Nilium

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Eiler@21:1/5 to Jeanne Morningstar on Tue Dec 15 22:24:45 2020

On 2020-12-14 13:23, Jeanne Morningstar wrote:
    "Jeanne!" heard a rather familiar, very cute voice in the distance.

"Drew?" They rubbed their eyes and before them was the Ununnilium
    Stranger. "What are you doing here? This isn't the right universe--"

"Yeah, I know. I can't help you directly, but I can give you a boon.
    See?" They waved their Knitting Needles of Continuity and intoned "Boon, boon, booooooon!"

A glowing boon symbol appeared in the shape of the rainbow UCX icon Drew
    uses on all social media. [Real World Jeanne has been playing a lot of
    Hades, have you noticed?--Footnote Girl] Jeanne touched it and was
    infused with holy ununnilic power! Their attack was increased and
    charged with positive emotional energy!

"I get it now," said Jeanne. "I may not have enough motivation on my
    own, but I don't have to be on my own! I have Drew, I have other friends
    and people I rely on, and we can draw on each other! Everyone who writes
    or comments is helping!"

Heh, I am so old that I cheered for Tinker Belle in a movie theater. I Believe!

That said, this was a really good episode of "Meet the Author". I'd
    have my own stories do that, except they'd basically end up with Wyatt Ferguson.

--
    -- (signed) Scott Eiler 8{D> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

The soldiers presented a pathetic but inspiring spectacle. The
    hospitals were crowded with sick and wounded; the walls were
    gradually crumbling under incessant shell fire, yet that garrison
    of heroes remained undaunted.

It was as Buck said, "just as if they had been Americans."

- from "The Airship Boys in the Great War", De Lysle F. Cass, 1915.
    Coming soon to Project Gutenberg. gutenberg.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05