• R.I.P. G.C. Skipper, 83, in Oct. (YA war history writer)

From Lenona@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 12 15:42:07 2022
    https://www.fuquabankston.com/obituary/GC-Skipper

Mr. G C Skipper, a resident of Ozark, Alabama (formally of Tuscaloosa), died early Friday morning, October 21, 2022, in the Oakview Manor Health Care Center. He was 83.

A graveside service will be held for Mr. Skipper on Saturday, October 29, 2022, at 2: OO P.M. in the Newton City Cemetery with Reverend Dr. Billy Gaither officiating. The family will receive friends following the graveside service. Fuqua
    Bankston Funeral Home of Ozark directing.

The youngest of seven children born to Ada Lee Price and Grady Columbus Skipper, Mr. Skipper was born on March 23, 1939, in Ozark, Alabama. He was a 1961 graduate of the University of Alabama with a Bachelor of Arts degree. G C Skipper was
    the author of more than 20 books that include a juvenile series on World War II, a fictional account of ghosts and hauntings along the East Coast and several novels. He has written literally hundreds of consumer and trade magazine articles and has
    traveled extensively on assignments to the Artic Circle, Argentina, India, the Caribbean and Mexico. His work has been recognized by a number of organizations such as the Associated Press and the University of Alabama. He was listed as a notable public
    relations executive by Marquis Who’s Who. Mr. Skipper was a talented musician, playing the piano, guitar and banjo. He was the epitome of kindness and grace.

In addition to his parents, Mr. Skipper was preceded in death by his wife of 55 years, Dorothy (Ann) Skipper; his son, Richard Craig Skipper; his daughter, Lisa Ann Green; his sisters, Mellie Whaley (William), Estelle Fuqua Bob), Mary Ethyl
    Welliver (Bill), and Dorothy Skipper; and a brother, Mack Skipper.

Mr. Skipper is survived by his grandson, Ronald Travis Green of Tuscaloosa, Alabama; his sister, Theresa Ivy Crow of Houston, Texas; great grandchildren, Evey, Lisa and Thomas. Several nieces, nephews and other relatives also survive.

What I posted in 2019:

https://prabook.com/web/g.c.skipper/173703
    (resume)

https://www.google.com/search?q=gc+skipper+books&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFgcmE_4ThAhWU8oMKHTg8BFcQ_AUIDygC&biw=1281&bih=857
    (book covers)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4657374.G_C_Skipper
    (reader reviews)

From "Contemporary Authors":

G. C. Skipper writes: "I've known since I was twelve years old that I not only wanted to write, but had to write. Some have labeled this obsession `talent,' but in reality it's more like a disease. As to the reason why, I'm still trying to figure that
    out. Insanity helps a whole lot and if you keep your insanity you'll be okay. The worst thing in the world for a writer is to become a `well-rounded individual.' Writers, I guess, are an egotistical lot--they'd have to be to think they've got anything to
    say, much less believe people want to hear it. Whew!

"I grew up in Alabama, in the deep South, and I've seen how ridiculous other areas of the country have been in imagining what 'the South' is 'really like.' Now, like country music, suddenly it's 'in' to be Southern--and the worst thing in the world is a
    Professional Southerner. I believe all creativity springs out of an individual or a section of the country that has known defeat. The South is the only area of the United States that has been defeated. I think that accounts, at least partially, for the
    Faulkners, the Weltys, the Jacksons, et cetera, et cetera. New York is getting there, too, in its own unique way--hence, the Mailers. In other words all this man-it's-a-rough-miserable-world-type-stuff is good fodder to sprout writers. Outside playing
    God, I think creativity--in this case in writing--is one of the most honorable, honest contributions Man can make. If it's really good, it survives everything. Any other profession, say a thousand years from now, will look just downright silly--if I can
    paraphrase Hemingway.

"There's only a handful of good writers around today, hidden among the mass of academic phonies. I mean good in the creative sense of Hemingway, Faulkner and Fitzgerald. Maybe these writers are hidden because the selling of fiction has been reduced to
    computerized marketing exercised by publishers. Yeah, I know all us word merchants can't be Hemingway and all editors can't be Max Perkins--but it sure would be refreshing to see a novel make it on merit rather than hype. There is a need now in the
    United States--not for entertainment (there's plenty of that)--but for literature. I'd like to contribute my limited amount to filling that gap."

WRITINGS:
    Books for children and young adults, except as indicated; published by Childrens Press, except as indicated:

And the Angels Rage (adult novel), Touchstone Publishing, 1972.
    The Ghost in the Church, 1976.
    A Night in the Attic, 1977.
    The Ghost at Manor House, 1978.
    Death of Hitler, 1981.
    Goering and the Luftwaffe, 1981.
    Mussolini: Death of a Dictator, 1981.
    Battle of Britain, 1981.
    Battle of the Atlantic, 1981.
    Battle of Stalingrad, 1981.
    Battle of Leyte Gulf, 1981.
    Battle of the Coral Sea, 1981.
    Battle of Midway, 1981.
    Invasion of Sicily, 1981.
    Fall of the Fox: Rommel, 1981.
    Submarines in the Pacific, 1981.
    MacArthur and the Philippines, 1982.
    Invasion of Poland, 1983.
    D-Day , 1983.
    Pearl Harbor, 1984.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)