• Anyone know the Dundee Scots?

From EMoore@gkschools.org@21:1/5 to Andy on Thu Jun 8 09:18:50 2017
    On Thursday, June 12, 2003 at 10:26:58 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
    Has anyone ever heard of the Dundee Scots, from Dundee Illionois?

I had never heard of them, but the person who messaged me said that they were very well known and that they had won some kind of nationals on several occasions.

Please give me any information you may have. Will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From EMoore@gkschools.org@21:1/5 to Andy on Thu Jun 8 09:32:50 2017
    On Thursday, June 12, 2003 at 10:26:58 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
    Has anyone ever heard of the Dundee Scots, from Dundee Illionois?

I had never heard of them, but the person who messaged me said that they were very well known and that they had won some kind of nationals on several occasions.

Please give me any information you may have. Will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Yes, I was in the color guard from 1969 to 1973. My sister was drum Major. We placed first 3 times at the Cherry Festival in Michigan. My sister shook hands with President Richard Nixon. Pat Nixon had lipstick on her teeth.

We had no summer vacation. We practiced every night from 6 to 10:30 PM. On weekends we boarded busses and travelled. During school we practiced every day and then at night as summer approached.

In Florida, we never went to Disneyland, we practiced. We never went to the beach, we practiced. One time in Michigan, we were allowed 2 hours of free time to visit the Festival. We came back 10 minutes late and got our butts chewed. I remember
    running so fast to rehearsal in the Holiday Inn parking lot, we almost ran over a little old lady on the construction sidewalk.

We ate salt tablets on a consistent basis because of the heat. Those wool uniforms were hot!

The goosebumps on my arms were enormous at the beginning of every drill competition as the announcer said......."And now ladies and gentlemen, the Dundee Scots"..............the roll of the snares would start the Pipes, and the colorguard would bring out
    the brass squads.

I loved the fog machine, coming out of the mist to the sound of pipes during mid-point, to face the audience, screaming and standing.

If we even got 3 tics from field marshalls we wanted to know who messed up.

Have you ever been yelled at 2 inches from your face? It was a glorious military education for me, and I look back on the experience and discipline from Doyle Heffron with fond memories.

Liz Moore (Weiss - 73)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From daniel.t@pestmasterfl.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 8 14:00:06 2020
    My twin brother and I were bagpipers in the Scots in the 70,s. It was an incredible experience. We were fortunate to be surrounded by so many talened and motivated young people. We lost one competition the entire time we were Scots. It was so long ago
    now yet remember so many great times and experiences.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05