• A Recording of the Gay Blades D&B Corps

From sandra.cassey@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Roger on Wed May 18 17:44:05 2016
    On Wednesday, December 29, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Roger wrote:
    Not sure what to make of this. I was looking at some things on Ebay
    with the search words "drum corps" and happened to come across a
    listing of an album from Drums Along the Riverside recorded in 1962 in
    MA. Among the corps there (as the Ebay listing says) were the Gay
    Blades (!). LOL.

Isn't it funny and interesting how the meaning of "Gay Blades" had an entirely different meaning then than it does now?

Actually it would be very interesting to find out more information on
    this drum corps called Gay Blades (yes... LOL I'm still grinning). Fascinating. Anyone have any information about them? Guess I could get
    the album and find out for myself possibly or contact the seller of
    the album.

Oh, here's the Ebay URL:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=226412170

Have fun!

Roger
    Houston, Texas
    Freelancers '81,'82,'84 pit

My father, Roland A. Cassey was a Washington Carver Gay Blade. He still talks about how good they were. And he still likes to go Drum Corps comps in Clifton, NJ. He's 78 now. God bless him. Glad to see how many people appreciate those bands. I loved
    reading all the comments here. It made me happy. :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From lovethetrain@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Roger on Mon Jan 16 19:54:40 2017
    Blades (!). LOL.

Isn't it funny and interesting how the meaning of "Gay Blades" had an entirely different meaning then than it does now?

this drum corps called Gay Blades (yes... LOL I'm still grinning). Fascinating. Anyone have any information about them? Guess I could get
    the album.

Oh, here's the Ebay URL:

Have fun!

Roger
    Houston, Texas

Nothing funny about The George Washington Carver Gay Blades, from Newark New jersey, during the late 50's and mid 60's. I should know, I was there. I watched them as a young boy growing up with 2 uncles as members. I vowed to join one day. When they
    rehearsed in the local playground, you would swear that the entire black population of the city was there. That day came at the age of 18. I was a second generation "Blade". This was an all-male, all-black Senior Drum and Bugle Corps. They were the
    pride of Newark. This young men worked hard and dedicated themselves to be the best ever. They were Champions of The Red Carpet Circuit in 1959, 1960, and 1963. (I stand to be corrected). They were unbelievable! The "Blades" were professional marchers.
    They marched like machines! And that sound!!! They played some of the most difficult music around at that time...The Ten Commandants, Samson & Delilah, What kind of fool am I?, Temptation...and I could go on and on. Please spare your gay jokes, because
    they are very insulting. There is not enough space for me to share that history. But I will guarantee you one thing my little chickadees...if you happen to get an opportunity to give an ear For 'THE GEORGE WASHINGTON CARVER GAY BLADES"...your listening
    experience will be rewarded

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lovethetrain@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Roger on Mon Jan 16 20:11:08 2017
    Blades (!). LOL.

the album.

Oh, here's the Ebay URL:

Have fun!

Roger
    Houston, Texas

Lastly, I know Ray Troxell. He is a scholar and a gentleman. Everything he said was true, Ray was an excellent corpsman. Played solo soprano, (I think). He had keen musical knowledge, was a an excellent and patient instructor. I marched with The Garden
    Statesman also. I played on the drumline with Ray senior, known as Mr. T. MrT eventually became the director of the corps. Hey Ray, this is John Cherry. My uncles were, John, (Sonny), and Jerry, (peanut). I know you remember the Cherry family

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lovethetrain@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Roger on Mon Jan 16 20:13:49 2017
    Blades (!). LOL.

the album.

Oh, here's the Ebay URL:

Have fun!

Roger
    Houston, Texas

GREAT COMMENTARY RAY!...LOVE YOU MAN!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jhpowell357@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 25 19:05:44 2017
    The other rifle was Jesse,
    Chet, Herbie and Harold Wright russel Brown gary bonds, timbale terry so many names i forgottown

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jhpowell357@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 25 19:01:07 2017
    I marched with the Gay Blades as well as St. MARTIN TROUBADOURS PLAYED Solo Soprano

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From hsaleem883@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Roger on Mon Aug 7 22:11:52 2017
    Blades (!). LOL.

the album.

Oh, here's the Ebay URL:

Have fun!

Roger
    Houston, Texas
    NOTHING FUNNY ABOUT THE "GAY BLADES". They were an all African American male member WORLD CLASS SENIOR CHAMPION drum and bugle Corps during a time when a young black man wasn't allowed to be a part of anything inspirational or educational, but just
    getting knocked upside the head by white cops just for being alive. Guess what? Those young men endured and overcame more obstacles than you can imagine. Most of its members are no longer living. May they R.I.P. When I was a small boy growing up watching
    my uncles march, I vowed to join one day. My day came. I am highly offended by anyone jesting about that corps, so stop your silly grinning and show some respect Mr joker. My name is John Cherry. I marched with the George Washington Carver Gay Blades
    back in 1965 until they merged with another all white member corps around 1970, (no offense, but I forget that merger corps name. They were from the Morristown area). Together, we became known as the Garden Statesmen. I was a tenor drummer until I went
    in the service during The Viet Nam war. You would not laugh after Carver finished walking all over you on that field during their prime.The George Washington Carver Gay Blades brought pride and repsect to our community! Here was 100 young African
    American young men, staying out of trouble and avoiding prisons. Sorry for getting so emotional, but some people are just jack asses! You should learn some history!! (lol that!)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jamesjordanjj2@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 30 21:36:31 2017
    🤗🤗Well hello drum Corp world my name is James Jordan and yes still kicking. I was one of the original Gay Blades played soprano. First we started out thru the Masonic temple in Newark,NJ.I also played with another group called Twentieth Century of
    Newark.If you know me or if can help any one e-mail jj335300@aol.com.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From hsaleem883@gmail.com@21:1/5 to jamesjo...@gmail.com on Fri Mar 16 14:39:47 2018
    On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 12:36:33 AM UTC-4, jamesjo...@gmail.com wrote:
    🤗🤗Well hello drum Corp world my name is James Jordan and yes still kicking. I was one of the original Gay Blades played soprano. First we started out thru the Masonic temple in Newark,NJ.I also played with another group called Twentieth Century
    of Newark.If you know me or if can help any one e-mail jj335300@aol.com.

Hey JJ how are you doing? This is John Cherry. I was on the drumline with you. I played tenor drum and you played bass. Remember The Cherry brothers?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From vtcrute@gmail.com@21:1/5 to jamesjo...@gmail.com on Thu Jul 26 17:53:10 2018
    On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 12:36:33 AM UTC-4, jamesjo...@gmail.com wrote:
    🤗🤗Well hello drum Corp world my name is James Jordan and yes still kicking. I was one of the original Gay Blades played soprano. First we started out thru the Masonic temple in Newark,NJ.I also played with another group called Twentieth Century
    of Newark.If you know me or if can help any one e-mail jj335300@aol.com.

Hello drum corps family my name is Jerry Crute and I was in Gay Blades from 64 - 66 in the color guard line. At my first contest at Shea Stadium I missed a count during the competition and ran to catch up. My name was changed to the road runner and
    everyone in the corps called me BEEP-BEEP ! ! !. I am presently retired and living in Orlando, Florida. jerrycrute@yahoo.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From enjaylady@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 26 20:31:09 2019
    Hi there Ray, JJ and Cherry... This is Diane Sives here. I was a member of the Garden Statesmen. Glad to see you are still around. I remember Broadus had a record of the Gay Blades. They were a fine sounding corps. I never saw them march though
    unfortunately.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05