• TRAM TR50 innovator Ted Rapp - man of mystery?

From sesamfx@earthlink.net@21:1/5 to gl...@trewaudio.com on Wed Dec 7 07:18:23 2016
    On Friday, May 22, 2009 at 1:43:49 PM UTC-4, gl...@trewaudio.com wrote:
    I know nothing. Nothing at all.

But I will say that I did enjoy doing business with Ted, and grew to appreciate his unusual traits.

Regarding his opinions of FAX machines, at the time, TRAM was the only manufacturer who would not receive purchase orders by FAX and insisted
    that they be sent by US mail. The orders were always processed
    efficiently and correctly. Also during that time, he soldered on every connector himself, to order.

Even though other lav microphones now have a respectable share of the
    market, it is a great tribute to Ted Rapp that the TRAM mic is still preferred by many, and the mounting accessories and box are still
    considered by most to be the best in the industry.

It might be interesting to note that he seemed to detest the term
    "Vampire Clip" for his most famous mounting accessory. He always
    listed it as "Clip-on Holder" and refused to call it anything else.

The way he would sign off on the phone now comes to mind...

"and out"

Glen Trew

I helped Ted develop the now infamous tram. Used extensively on broadway after it was developed. Yes "Ted Rapp and Mom" is correct. He was also an Air Force Reserve Pilot. Yes he was cautious because we sold to many agencies and companies that preferred
    to remain "offline " in todays parlance. A great friend, mechanical genius. Developed and manufactured the units in his home. I helped him sort through thousands of elements for sensitiity and frequency response. That was the secret sauce.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From portselector@gmail.com@21:1/5 to ses...@earthlink.net on Wed Feb 5 12:29:40 2020
    On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 7:18:26 AM UTC-8, ses...@earthlink.net wrote:
    On Friday, May 22, 2009 at 1:43:49 PM UTC-4, gl...@trewaudio.com wrote:
    I know nothing. Nothing at all.

But I will say that I did enjoy doing business with Ted, and grew to appreciate his unusual traits.

Regarding his opinions of FAX machines, at the time, TRAM was the only manufacturer who would not receive purchase orders by FAX and insisted
    that they be sent by US mail. The orders were always processed
    efficiently and correctly. Also during that time, he soldered on every connector himself, to order.

Even though other lav microphones now have a respectable share of the market, it is a great tribute to Ted Rapp that the TRAM mic is still preferred by many, and the mounting accessories and box are still considered by most to be the best in the industry.

It might be interesting to note that he seemed to detest the term
    "Vampire Clip" for his most famous mounting accessory. He always
    listed it as "Clip-on Holder" and refused to call it anything else.

The way he would sign off on the phone now comes to mind...

"and out"

Glen Trew

I helped Ted develop the now infamous tram. Used extensively on broadway after it was developed. Yes "Ted Rapp and Mom" is correct. He was also an Air Force Reserve Pilot. Yes he was cautious because we sold to many agencies and companies that
    preferred to remain "offline " in todays parlance. A great friend, mechanical genius. Developed and manufactured the units in his home. I helped him sort through thousands of elements for sensitiity and frequency response. That was the secret sauce.

About what year was the TRAM developed?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geoffgmax@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Bill White on Thu Feb 6 05:24:01 2020
    On Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 9:04:52 PM UTC-4, Bill White wrote:
    Theodore A Rapp brought us the legendary TR50 lapel mike.

Over the years, I�ve heard some fascinating anecdotes of his life.

Much of this may be myth as there seems to be very little documented
    evidence of his life. While the company has reverted back to his
    family, they do not appear to have a web site. Seems a pity that Ted
    died almost without trace. Maybe he wanted it that way?

Can anyone out there positively confirm or deny the following?

Ted was a very private person who preferred to keep a low profile.

He once worked in the R&D division of the CIA where they developed a miniature version of an electret mike for surveillance work.

Realizing the commercial potential for concealable mikes in film & TV,
    Ted left the agency and developed the TRAM lapel mike which became an industry standard.

Ted believed the agency was upset about him commercializing �their� invention, and that they intended to �get back at him� one day.

Reputedly, he lived with his mother in upstate NY and the TRAM name came
    from Ted Rapp And Mother.

He was extremely cautious about phone and fax communications as he
    believed they were being �tapped� by his former employer.

If you can throw any light on the above, or the real truth about Ted
    Rapp, please let us know as he deserves to be remembered for his contributions to our industry.

Batter up!

Bill White

My understanding...Along with the array of brilliant concealable mounts, and it being available in various colors, the secret sauce was the low-noise cable. Also, the original Tram had a 10k bump to push through clothing. Often this would overload the
    front end of many first-generation wireless transmitters. Jerry implemented a flat response version called the Sonotrim, which also cut better with Schoeps.

And yes Glen, I remember the "and out" as well.

Geoff Maxwell

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JamieSound@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 6 06:23:20 2020
    So nice to hear the backstory from Glen and comments by Geoff. I only spoke with Henry a few times on phone but he was very nice. What Geoff said is true, as the SonoTrim cut better with Schoeps than the overwhelmingly more popular Tram. Although they
    live in the bottom of my lav box, I still have some Trams & Trims, and occasionally use them, mostly for special rigs. Like the Nagra & Vegas, Trams remained the lav of choice for a very long time. Way to go, Henry.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to geoffgmax@gmail.com on Thu Feb 6 13:37:06 2020
    <geoffgmax@gmail.com> wrote:

My understanding...Along with the array of brilliant concealable mounts, an= >d it being available in various colors, the secret sauce was the low-noise = >cable. Also, the original Tram had a 10k bump to push through clothing. Oft= >en this would overload the front end of many first-generation wireless tran= >smitters. Jerry implemented a flat response version called the Sonotrim, wh= >ich also cut better with Schoeps.

Not just low noise but it didn't decay with skin oils the way vinyl cables
    did back then.
    --scott
    --
    "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From chicagoaudio@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 8 18:09:37 2020
    Wow, talk about reviving a thread that goes back a few years! I think we broke the way back machine!

I did have a few occasions to talk with Ted over the years, going back further than I care to recall. Interesting guy, and like most genius types, rather private about his technology.

And yes, he certainly deserves more credit than he’s received over the years...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05