• TSA and Pelican case latches

From sageriversatterfield@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Matty on Tue Apr 12 13:13:13 2016
    On Sunday, November 1, 2009 at 11:07:16 PM UTC-7, Matty wrote:
    Every time I travel, my Pelican 1610 cases arrives at the destination
    with at least one, and usually two of the four latches open. I don't
    trust TSA, so I carry the big ticket items on with me -- mics, mixer,
    radios, recorder. (It's a doc kit, so the load is manageable.) I put
    the stuff I can afford to replace if I have to -- boompole, zeppelins, chargers, headphones -- in the checked case.

Last week, my case arrived at SFO with 3 of the 4 latches open and my headphone cable dangling out the opening. Fortunately nothing fell
    out.

I'm fed up with the cretins that work for TSA. I mean how much
    intelligence does it take to close the damn latches? I'm considering
    putting decals on the case with arrows to each latch. Don't know if it
    will make a bit of difference though.

Is my recurring experience the exception or the rule? I'd like some
    input from the community about what it takes to keep checked gear more secure.

Thanks,
    Matty

Here's the thing... It's not TSA, its the baggage handlers, gravity, and hits/ touches from other luggage in the heap of the cargo bay that open those latches. There are a couple solutions: A) Travel with a firearm. Yes, travel armed (following TSA and
    airline guidlines, being aware of your home and destination's local laws). The advantage to this: all of your bags are number one priority, they are also hand carried to and from the cargo bay, you don't wait in line at the baggage claim, as it will be
    wheeled to a private office to be picked up at your destination, and they take special care to seal them, and treat them with care. PLUS you then get to put BIG ASS LOCKS on EVERY lockable point and it is TSA regulation that nobody except YOU can have
    the key or combination. The cons: the locks can only be used on the luggage containing the firearm, but the luggage privilege, priority, and extended care in handling, applies to all your bags. You can do this, or, B) write a note on the side of your
    checked luggage and tape some zip ties on it and ask any reader to seal it, they will. You may also consider a TSA luggage strap (or two), like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Safe-Skies-TSA-Approved-Blue-Luggage-Strap-73/203625240?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%
    7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D25H-Security&Safety%7c&gclid=CjwKEAjwubK4BRC1xczKrZyj3mkSJAC6ntgrcsEJNEZDYTdC3xx-i35GoQxSnjAibQj4JSuVgklOnRoCYqbw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From 1stcamera@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 13 06:53:09 2016
    Everyone is correct about the Pelican latches. Try to open and close those suckers when it's freezing. Knuckle Buster City is what that is. And if you are working out your rental can, you may have to enter those cases multiple times during the day.
    I'm thinking of just using heavy weight cardboard boxes secured with buckled leather straps.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)