• Elmo F16-1000 16mm projector help finding belts

From Kurt Lofback@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 24 04:22:28 2019
    I've exhausted pretty much every avenue to find the belt I need to to get this old friend back working. There is a V belt that drives the shutter and mechanism. Standard replacements haven't worked because there is such a tight diameter on the motor.
    There are fractional 1/4 inch v belts available that fit the pulleys, but they can not make the tight turn around the motor shaft. They just slip and stutter.. Any thoughts??

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to kurtlofback@gmail.com on Sun May 26 13:29:26 2019
    Kurt Lofback <kurtlofback@gmail.com> wrote:
    I've exhausted pretty much every avenue to find the belt I need to to get t= >his old friend back working. There is a V belt that drives the shutter and = >mechanism. Standard replacements haven't worked because there is such a tig= >ht diameter on the motor. There are fractional 1/4 inch v belts available t= >hat fit the pulleys, but they can not make the tight turn around the motor = >shaft. They just slip and stutter.. Any thoughts??

Are you sure that's a V-belt and not an O-ring belt? Have you looked in
    the PRB book yet?

And, of course... has the shutter been lubricated properly and is the pad
    for the pull-down cam totally, totally saturated and oil all over the cam?
    If the mechanism is stiff, the belt will slip.
    --scott
    --
    "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kurt Lofback@21:1/5 to Scott Dorsey on Sun May 26 15:19:18 2019
    On Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 1:29:28 PM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
    I've exhausted pretty much every avenue to find the belt I need to to get t= >his old friend back working. There is a V belt that drives the shutter and = >mechanism. Standard replacements haven't worked because there is such a tig= >ht diameter on the motor. There are fractional 1/4 inch v belts available t= >hat fit the pulleys, but they can not make the tight turn around the motor = >shaft. They just slip and stutter.. Any thoughts??

the PRB book yet?

for the pull-down cam totally, totally saturated and oil all over the cam?
    --scott
    --

I guess at this point I'm not really sure. The mechanism has a belt tensioner which wouldn't be necessary with an o-ring. And..If the tensioner isn't pulling the belt tight around the motor shaft, the tensioner hits the shutter blades. The pulleys are V
    shaped for an appx 1/4 inch wide belt. Gates makes fractional horsepower V belts, but they are too stiff, and wont make the tight diameter turn around the motor drive. The photos I have of the machine with the back opened sure looks like a V belt. It
    must have been a very flexible one. Im starting to think of possibly of a poly re enforced sewing machine type belt. BTW, the entire drive train including shutter has been rebuilt, smooth as silk. This thing has an oil pump that floods the shutter cam.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to kurtlofback@gmail.com on Tue May 28 18:15:27 2019
    In article <5357a3bb-6ac6-4ac2-ab8e-130b489138fd@googlegroups.com>,
    On Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 1:29:28 PM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
    I've exhausted pretty much every avenue to find the belt I need to to ge= >t t=3D
    his old friend back working. There is a V belt that drives the shutter a= >nd =3D
    mechanism. Standard replacements haven't worked because there is such a = >tig=3D
    ht diameter on the motor. There are fractional 1/4 inch v belts availabl= >e t=3D
    hat fit the pulleys, but they can not make the tight turn around the mot= >or =3D
    shaft. They just slip and stutter.. Any thoughts??
    =20
    the PRB book yet?
    =20
    for the pull-down cam totally, totally saturated and oil all over the cam= >?

I guess at this point I'm not really sure. The mechanism has a belt tension= >er which wouldn't be necessary with an o-ring. And..If the tensioner isn't = >pulling the belt tight around the motor shaft, the tensioner hits the shutt= >er blades. The pulleys are V shaped for an appx 1/4 inch wide belt. Gates m= >akes fractional horsepower V belts, but they are too stiff, and wont make t= >he tight diameter turn around the motor drive. The photos I have of the mac= >hine with the back opened sure looks like a V belt. It must have been a ver= >y flexible one. Im starting to think of possibly of a poly re enforced sewi= >ng machine type belt. BTW, the entire drive train including shutter has bee= >n rebuilt, smooth as silk. This thing has an oil pump that floods the shutt= >er cam.

The PRB book says the F-16 machines get one each OC13.6 and OC15.6, which are both long O-ring belts.

They do have listed a model 1000-R/S which gets an OO13.6 and an OO15.6,
    but those are also O-ring belts.

You could order from Russell Industries directly if you don't have a local source. You could also talk to the folks at Cardinal Sound and Motion
    Picture in Maryland, I know they fix a lot of the bigger 16mm Elmo theatre projectors.
    --scott
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05