• what is the significance of 11001001 in "11001001"

From Piotr Karocki@21:1/5 to jackrobb43@gmail.com on Wed Aug 19 09:46:31 2015
    jackrobb43@gmail.com wrote:
    Any ideas, is it really simple?
    As simple as using your name as your password.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jackrobb43@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Mark Schlegel on Tue Aug 18 12:02:32 2015
    On Tuesday, 1 September 1992 19:09:20 UTC-6, Mark Schlegel wrote:
    I was wondering what the significance was of the binary number 11001001 on the episode "11001001". Any CS major will tell you that this number equals 201 in ordinary decimal.

In the story, Picard and William are frantically trying to guess the
    filename to restore the binar's main computer and Picard points at the unconscious Binars and says "Would they have kept it *that* simple?"
    Well I was expecting him to guess "four" as in the number of binars
    laying on the floor (00000100 in an eight digit binary or byte) but then
    they come up with 201? what the hell?

Mark

Am I missing something? That binary # is 201 in the normal count syetem.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jimconner76@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Michael H. on Tue Oct 27 09:33:04 2015
    On Tuesday, September 1, 1992 at 11:41:22 PM UTC-4, KELSEY, Michael H. wrote:
    In article <schlegel.715396160@cwis>, schlegel@cwis.unomaha.edu (Mark Schlegel)
    says:

I was wondering what the significance was of the binary number 11001001 on >the episode "11001001". Any CS major will tell you that this number equals >201 in ordinary decimal.

In the story, Picard and William are frantically trying to guess the >filename to restore the binar's main computer and Picard points at the >unconscious Binars and says "Would they have kept it *that* simple?"
    laying on the floor (00000100 in an eight digit binary or byte) but then >they come up with 201? what the hell?

Mark

Each binar had a "name" which was a two-digit binary number. The string "11001001" was simply the names of the four binars, in the order in which they were lying on the deck.
    -- Mike Kelsey

[ My opinions are not endorsed by SLAC, Caltech, or the US government ] What is your _name_? "kelsey@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu"
    What is your _quest_? "To get a Ph.D. in high-energy physics"
    When will you _finish_? "I don't know. Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh..."

I agree with Kel. Just a thought though; do the binars have more than four names (because we are out of two digit combinations)? Lucky for Picard that he got the four binars with the simplest possible names, otherwise the password (and the title of the
    show) would have been much much longer. ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From keefe76@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 24 22:52:51 2016
    Watching this episode and looked up the binary for the title, stumbled upon this.
    Disappointed with the sexist remark. Not a CS major, nor a Women's Studies major. Just a feminist- don't be afraid- I don't hate men, just desire equality for all- I was a poli sci major. Disappointed to see that even the most seemingly , self-purported
    brainiacs, 'benign' group lure those of the ugly ilk. For a woman, to be described in one , frankly, ill conceived generality; even the word "nerd" has many an individual.
    So I guess I'm S.O.L. (Not to be mistaken with T.S.O.L.) here. Back to nerd vision.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From twirk.wiggler@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 17 21:06:11 2016
    The first 2 binares are 10 and 01 later 11 and 00 show up. It's just their names

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jospen8603@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 26 15:20:57 2016
    Well, I checked the original air date and interestingly enough, it is Feb. 1, 1988 or 2/01. Don't know if that is why they chose that particular binary number, but it is one hell of a coincidence, isn't it?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From daneelohble@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 22 15:38:55 2016
    [ My opinions are not endorsed by SLAC, Caltech, or the US government ] What is your _name_? "kelsey@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu"
    What is your _quest_? "To get a Ph.D. in high-energy physics"
    When will you _finish_? "I don't know. Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh..."

that signature! What is your favourite colour? :D

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From andrewmaklamb@gmail.com@21:1/5 to kee...@gmail.com on Mon May 1 12:22:03 2017
    On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 6:52:52 AM UTC, kee...@gmail.com wrote:
    Watching this episode and looked up the binary for the title, stumbled upon this.
    Disappointed with the sexist remark. Not a CS major, nor a Women's Studies major. Just a feminist- don't be afraid- I don't hate men, just desire equality for all- I was a poli sci major. Disappointed to see that even the most seemingly , self-
    purported brainiacs, 'benign' group lure those of the ugly ilk. For a woman, to be described in one , frankly, ill conceived generality; even the word "nerd" has many an individual.
    So I guess I'm S.O.L. (Not to be mistaken with T.S.O.L.) here. Back to nerd vision.

Tell me, how does this answer the question or help anything? I wouldn't even call it a sexist remark, and from your comments I disagree that you don't hate men, even if this is true then don't go around calling yourself a feminist, because the trolls
    will hunt you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lynae71@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Mark Schlegel on Tue Jun 27 10:39:44 2017
    On Tuesday, September 1, 1992 at 7:09:20 PM UTC-6, Mark Schlegel wrote:
    I was wondering what the significance was of the binary number 11001001 on the episode "11001001". Any CS major will tell you that this number equals 201 in ordinary decimal.

filename to restore the binar's main computer and Picard points at the unconscious Binars and says "Would they have kept it *that* simple?"

Mark

11001001 = RET — Unconditional Return Opcode for an Intel 8080 CPU. The Binars needed an unconditional return.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From adam.odell18@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Mark Schlegel on Sat Sep 2 10:25:51 2017
    On Wednesday, September 2, 1992 at 10:39:20 AM UTC+9:30, Mark Schlegel wrote:

Mark

not sure if anyone has allready answered it, but the characters are named in binary as we learn in the begining of the episode. the way that they are sitting indicated an 8 digit code made up from their names

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From menorton15@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Mark Schlegel on Wed Jan 31 14:24:58 2018
    On Tuesday, September 1, 1992 at 7:09:20 PM UTC-6, Mark Schlegel wrote:

Mark

I believe it comes from the names of the Bynar.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From larrycastellanonexus@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 7 17:10:18 2018
    Gentlepersons:

The genius of the episode title is that it put the PASSWORD right there in plain sight at the very beginning. It is only at the end when the two officers figure it out that we the viewers get our own "Ah Hah" moment. A very effective way to involve us.

Don't think in decimal because the Bynars think in binary. It is not the value of the eight digits that matters. They were not counting.

They set up a PASSWORD made up of the binary numbers 00, 01, 10, 11. They could have made it simpler by just leaving them in this order. They are computer experts so perhaps there was a very good reason.

Sometimes in computer machine language a 4 digit binary is actually an INSTRUCTION for the computer to follow ALONG with a 4 digit binary ADDRESS location where the value to be worked on is STORED. It is also possible that 11001001 is the actual ADDRESS
    in the computer where the vital start up program begins.

Submitted with great respect for all and an enduring love for genuine Trek.

Sincerely,

Larry C.
    New York, USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From nowheremama@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 30 23:15:57 2018
    Excelent sign off..the date... is recent and i enjoyed your post. As a writer..I must say there's no way the name of the episode was just numbers...there's meaning in it, but to be certain one should write to the author. :) A binary cryptograhm....lots
    of fun.
    BJ...or Nowheremama@gmail.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From freeturtles22@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 19 06:06:58 2018
    That song is "2112"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kelseybouchard@outlook.com@21:1/5 to kee...@gmail.com on Fri Aug 24 22:52:43 2018
    On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 12:52:52 AM UTC-6, kee...@gmail.com wrote:
    Disappointed with the sexist remark. Not a CS major, nor a Women's Studies major. Just a feminist- don't be afraid- I don't hate men, just desire equality for all- I was a poli sci major. Disappointed to see that even the most seemingly , self-
    purported brainiacs, 'benign' group lure those of the ugly ilk. For a woman, to be described in one , frankly, ill conceived generality; even the word "nerd" has many an individual.

After reading what amounted to quite generalization aimed at the self-purported brainiacs, of this "benign" (was quotation really necessary?)I could hardly not respond. Am I to understand that you were upset by someone generalizing about women? I found
    it very odd that you would actually generalize when that seems to be what set you off in the first place.
    Of course I could be completely off base on this one but as I too felt like injecting complete off topic garbage to pollute the thread I figured wth.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From l.m.aimson@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 20 13:09:35 2020
    It is also how a 2bit full adder would add the 8bit binary string together to create a logic circuit that could switch the circuitry back on. :-/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Howard Kemple Jr@21:1/5 to Mark Schlegel on Mon Nov 8 17:09:34 2021
    On Tuesday, September 1, 1992 at 6:09:20 PM UTC-7, Mark Schlegel wrote:
    Mark
    I just found this thread after rewatching the episode and thinking that number looks familiar somehow. I like many of the responses and all and especially the one about the order in which the Binars are laying is the password put in the computer. I
    looked at that particular ascii letter and converted it in several fonts and in webdings it comes up as one of the globe icons showing Asia and the Pacific oceans.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05