• [OT] A British Guy Explains Why He Doesn't Like Trump

From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 20 04:15:47 2023
    I know this is terribly off topic, but I think that it will be useful
    to some to be able to reference this particular essay, in the
    political discussions that crop up from time to time in this
    newsgroup:

https://londondaily.com/british-writer-pens-the-best-description-of-trump-i-ve-read

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Andrew McDowell@21:1/5 to Quadibloc on Sat May 20 10:39:38 2023
    On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 12:15:50 PM UTC+1, Quadibloc wrote:
    newsgroup:

https://londondaily.com/british-writer-pens-the-best-description-of-trump-i-ve-read

John Savard
    There is no doubt that Trump conforms to the stereotypical image of the American tourist, as seen by the rest of the world - loud, brash, and flaunting his wealth. For that matter, nouveau riche with more money than sense are well described as minor
    characters in David Drake's RCN series - the Rolfe husband and especially wife, Bernice Sand's first husband, and the targets of some cutting observations by Adele Mundy, who was brought up in one of the best families of the capital. I have two
    observations on this -

1) How much are we to let this inelegance colour our other views on the man? It is a matter of continuing amusement to me how much vitriol from left leaning political opponents of Trump boils down to simple snobbery. I do not find this a convincing form
    of political argument (but then, one of the most impressive technical talks I ever heard was delivered by somebody with an American accent straight out of a Western).

2) I grew up in N.Ireland and Ireland (North or South) is one of the few places in the world where the way for an American Tourist to ensure themselves of a warm welcome is to stand out as an obvious American Tourist. I did actually know an American -
    many years ago now - who bore a noticeable resemblence to Higgins, as portrayed in the original series of Magnum PI. He spent some time touring Ireland, and told me a little about it, because he knew I was from N. Ireland. He told me that he had a cold
    reception a couple of times from people who thought he was English - as soon as he could reassure them he was American, everybody became much more friendly.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Johnny1A@21:1/5 to Andrew McDowell on Sun May 21 21:21:43 2023
    On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 12:39:41 PM UTC-5, Andrew McDowell wrote:
    newsgroup:

John Savard
    There is no doubt that Trump conforms to the stereotypical image of the American tourist, as seen by the rest of the world - loud, brash, and flaunting his wealth. For that matter, nouveau riche with more money than sense are well described as minor
    characters in David Drake's RCN series - the Rolfe husband and especially wife, Bernice Sand's first husband, and the targets of some cutting observations by Adele Mundy, who was brought up in one of the best families of the capital. I have two
    observations on this -

1) How much are we to let this inelegance colour our other views on the man? It is a matter of continuing amusement to me how much vitriol from left leaning political opponents of Trump boils down to simple snobbery.

Not just on the Left. A lot of the reason the Republican power establishment and associated media and academic types loathe Trump boils down to class issues. Even when he does stuff they've advocated for for years (or pretended to advocate for,
    sometimes), they just can't bring themselves to approve. He's 'not our kind'.

Remember all the weird, pointless jokes and titters because Trump liked ketchup on steak? It's that same impulse.

The UK is not as unified on this sort of thing as the writer pretends, either. There's a big dose of class loathing in the elite British attitudes about Farage, just for one example.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charles Packer@21:1/5 to Quadibloc on Mon May 22 07:46:55 2023
    On Sat, 20 May 2023 04:15:47 -0700, Quadibloc wrote:

I know this is terribly off topic, but I think that it will be useful to
    some to be able to reference this particular essay, in the political discussions that crop up from time to time in this newsgroup:

https://londondaily.com/british-writer-pens-the-best-description-of-
    trump-i-ve-read

John Savard

Trump was the host of "The Apprentice."
    "The Apprentice" was produced by a Brit, Mark Burnett.
    Therefore the British are implicated in the creation of the
    Trump phenomenon.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hamish Laws@21:1/5 to Andrew McDowell on Mon May 22 00:31:08 2023
    On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 3:39:41 AM UTC+10, Andrew McDowell wrote:
    newsgroup:

John Savard
    observations on this -

1) How much are we to let this inelegance colour our other views on the man? It is a matter of continuing amusement to me how much vitriol from left leaning political opponents of Trump boils down to simple snobbery. I do not find this a convincing
    form of political argument (but then, one of the most impressive technical talks I ever heard was delivered by somebody with an American accent straight out of a Western).

Anybody who thinks that the criticism of Trump boils down to snobbery rather than observing his actual history and policies is either lying their arses off or brain dead.
    Trump's a racist, sexist, serial groper and likely rapist who was repeatedly bailed out of business disaster by his father, cheated family members out of their legitimate inheritance cheated students who enrolled in Trump University, has failed in most
    of his business ventures and their is huge amounts of evidence that he's based much of his success on fraud

and that's his history before he got the job of president and showed how unsuited he was for the position.

2) I grew up in N.Ireland and Ireland (North or South) is one of the few places in the world where the way for an American Tourist to ensure themselves of a warm welcome is to stand out as an obvious American Tourist. I did actually know an American -
    many years ago now - who bore a noticeable resemblence to Higgins, as portrayed in the original series of Magnum PI. He spent some time touring Ireland, and told me a little about it, because he knew I was from N. Ireland. He told me that he had a cold
    reception a couple of times from people who thought he was English - as soon as he could reassure them he was American, everybody became much more friendly.

"Prefer the Americans to the English" isn't exactly an unknown situation.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robert Carnegie@21:1/5 to Quadibloc on Mon May 22 09:12:05 2023
    On Saturday, 20 May 2023 at 12:15:50 UTC+1, Quadibloc wrote:
    newsgroup:

John Savard

I don't know what "London Daily" is, and I spent a little
    while trying to find that out. I will say that as a British
    citizen myself, I'm reasonably confident that U.S. citizens
    have a much better understanding of what's wrong with
    President Trump than any of the British do, even those
    who used to live where one of the President's golf courses
    now is. And even noting the claim that Americans who
    dislike him may still consider some of his deformities
    as normal.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Johnny1A@21:1/5 to Hamish Laws on Mon May 22 10:29:15 2023
    On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 2:31:11 AM UTC-5, Hamish Laws wrote:
    newsgroup:

John Savard
    observations on this -

1) How much are we to let this inelegance colour our other views on the man? It is a matter of continuing amusement to me how much vitriol from left leaning political opponents of Trump boils down to simple snobbery. I do not find this a convincing
    form of political argument (but then, one of the most impressive technical talks I ever heard was delivered by somebody with an American accent straight out of a Western).
    Anybody who thinks that the criticism of Trump boils down to snobbery rather than observing his actual history and policies is either lying their arses off or brain dead.
    Trump's a racist, sexist, serial groper and likely rapist who was repeatedly bailed out of business disaster by his father, cheated family members out of their legitimate inheritance cheated students who enrolled in Trump University, has failed in most
    of his business ventures and their is huge amounts of evidence that he's based much of his success on fraud

Let's see that evidence (note that reports in the left-wing media in itself does not constitute evidence, you would be requried to show why they should be believed).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 22 17:02:12 2023
    Trump phenomenon.

Well, that one British guy didn't like Trump as President hardly
    contradicts another British guy thinking he was a profitable
    buffoon... long before anyone expected him to move to a
    rather more responsible position.

This logic reminds me of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, who wrote
    at one time that after the fall of Communism, it should be
    remembered that Ukrainians and even Estonians participated
    in the October Revolution and the Communist Party, and so
    it would be wrong for the non-Russians to blame Communism
    on the Russians, and split up the country.

There may have been some truth in what he was saying, but
    the current problems of Ukraine with Russian missiles and troops
    and so on... show that the other nationalities were wise not to
    listen to him, but to instead get as far away from Russian
    imperialism in whatever form it might take as they could.

Similarly, any British culpability in the rise of Trump doesn't
    mean there should be no British criticism of Trump.

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 22 17:06:15 2023
    On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 11:29:18 AM UTC-6, Johnny1A wrote:

Let's see that evidence (note that reports in the left-wing media in
    itself does not constitute evidence, you would be requried to show
    why they should be believed).

The so-called "left-wing media" is also called the "mainstream media"
    by its detractors - but that _second_ pejorative admits the important
    thing about it: it is that portion of the media which is respected and
    has a reputation for unbiased and accurate reporting.

That's one reason why they should be believed, for starters.

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hamish Laws@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 22 17:48:46 2023
    On Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 3:29:18 AM UTC+10, Johnny1A wrote:
    I know this is terribly off topic, but I think that it will be useful to some to be able to reference this particular essay, in the political discussions that crop up from time to time in this newsgroup:

John Savard
    There is no doubt that Trump conforms to the stereotypical image of the American tourist, as seen by the rest of the world - loud, brash, and flaunting his wealth. For that matter, nouveau riche with more money than sense are well described as
    minor characters in David Drake's RCN series - the Rolfe husband and especially wife, Bernice Sand's first husband, and the targets of some cutting observations by Adele Mundy, who was brought up in one of the best families of the capital. I have two
    observations on this -

Trump's a racist, sexist, serial groper and likely rapist who was repeatedly bailed out of business disaster by his father, cheated family members out of their legitimate inheritance cheated students who enrolled in Trump University, has failed in
    most of his business ventures and their is huge amounts of evidence that he's based much of his success on fraud
    Let's see that evidence (note that reports in the left-wing media in itself does not constitute evidence, you would be requried to show why they should be believed).

Well there is the fact that the CFO pled guilty to 15 charges including grand larceny, tax fraud and falsifying business records
    some coverage of the trial shows that Trump signed off on at least some of the fiddling
    https://apnews.com/article/business-new-york-manhattan-donald-trump-government-and-politics-af8c8d828e224dcde9b39ae17cbb3a4c

The New York Attorney's office is proceeding to trial with a civil suit https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62986812

We've got Trump's quote that he changes valuations depending on how he feels in a deposition from a court case in 2007
    https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2011/04/donald_trump_net_worth_is_dete.html We've got Trump saying that banks shouldn't trust his valuations https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-tax-returns-bank-fraud-lawsuit-b2172660.html

Trump's settlement of the fraudulent Trump University claims
    The trumps charity paid costs for Trump not related to the charity (including a settlement over a flagpole, a dispute over a hole in one prize at one of Trump's golf courses, ads promoting Trump hotels)
    They illegally used the charity to push his political career

and here's an look at his fundraising after the election loss https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/aug/02/donald-trump-fundraising-schemes-campaign-finance-scrutiny-criticism

Not to mention holding Trump political events at Trump properties so his businesses get paid money from donations to his campaigns...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From petertrei@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Quadibloc on Mon May 22 20:45:20 2023
    On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 7:15:50 AM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
    newsgroup:

John Savard

I dislike Trump for all the reasons listed in the article. However, even if every accusation
    there was untrue, and he was witty, urbane, fair, and sophisticated, I'd still regard him as a threat
    to me and others due to to his actions.

* he ignored his own experts in the intelligence community, and cozied up to Putin.
    * Ditto the Kim regime in North Korea.
    * He doesn't understand the importance of NATO.
    * He's indicated that he does not support Ukraine.

I will say that his policies on China have been pretty good.

Pt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Titus G@21:1/5 to Hamish Laws on Tue May 23 17:33:50 2023
    On 23/05/23 12:48, Hamish Laws wrote:
    On Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 3:29:18 AM UTC+10, Johnny1A wrote:
    I know this is terribly off topic, but I think that it will be useful >>>>> to some to be able to reference this particular essay, in the
    newsgroup:

John Savard
    observations on this -

Trump's a racist, sexist, serial groper and likely rapist who was repeatedly bailed out of business disaster by his father, cheated family members out of their legitimate inheritance cheated students who enrolled in Trump University, has failed in
    most of his business ventures and their is huge amounts of evidence that he's based much of his success on fraud

Well there is the fact that the CFO pled guilty to 15 charges including grand larceny, tax fraud and falsifying business records
    some coverage of the trial shows that Trump signed off on at least some of the fiddling
    https://apnews.com/article/business-new-york-manhattan-donald-trump-government-and-politics-af8c8d828e224dcde9b39ae17cbb3a4c

The New York Attorney's office is proceeding to trial with a civil suit https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62986812

We've got Trump's quote that he changes valuations depending on how he feels in a deposition from a court case in 2007
    https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2011/04/donald_trump_net_worth_is_dete.html We've got Trump saying that banks shouldn't trust his valuations https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-tax-returns-bank-fraud-lawsuit-b2172660.html

The trumps charity paid costs for Trump not related to the charity (including a settlement over a flagpole, a dispute over a hole in one prize at one of Trump's golf courses, ads promoting Trump hotels)

and here's an look at his fundraising after the election loss https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/aug/02/donald-trump-fundraising-schemes-campaign-finance-scrutiny-criticism

Not to mention holding Trump political events at Trump properties so his businesses get paid money from donations to his campaigns...

To summarise the above it would appear that although not personable, he
    is a very cunning man clever enough to employ professional advisors and
    to outwit multi-million dollar institutions with a conviction that the
    ends justify the means, that his value to his public far outweighs any consideration that he should be subject to law.
    What a great choice to be the figurehead of an evil empire!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul S Person@21:1/5 to Titus G on Tue May 23 08:51:16 2023
    On Tue, 23 May 2023 17:33:50 +1200, Titus G <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

On 23/05/23 12:48, Hamish Laws wrote:
    On Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 3:29:18?AM UTC+10, Johnny1A wrote:
    On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 2:31:11?AM UTC-5, Hamish Laws wrote:
    On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 3:39:41?AM UTC+10, Andrew McDowell wrote: >>>>> On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 12:15:50?PM UTC+1, Quadibloc wrote:
    I know this is terribly off topic, but I think that it will be useful >>>>>> to some to be able to reference this particular essay, in the
    newsgroup:

John Savard
    There is no doubt that Trump conforms to the stereotypical image of the American tourist, as seen by the rest of the world - loud, brash, and flaunting his wealth. For that matter, nouveau riche with more money than sense are well described as
    minor characters in David Drake's RCN series - the Rolfe husband and especially wife, Bernice Sand's first husband, and the targets of some cutting observations by Adele Mundy, who was brought up in one of the best families of the capital. I have two
    observations on this -

The New York Attorney's office is proceeding to trial with a civil suit
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62986812

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2011/04/donald_trump_net_worth_is_dete.html >> We've got Trump saying that banks shouldn't trust his valuations
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-tax-returns-bank-fraud-lawsuit-b2172660.html

and here's an look at his fundraising after the election loss
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/aug/02/donald-trump-fundraising-schemes-campaign-finance-scrutiny-criticism

To summarise the above it would appear that although not personable, he
    is a very cunning man clever enough to employ professional advisors and
    to outwit multi-million dollar institutions with a conviction that the
    ends justify the means, that his value to his public far outweighs any >consideration that he should be subject to law.
    What a great choice to be the figurehead of an evil empire!

Not to mention the Republican Party.

He is everything they deserve (in their current abysmal state).
    --
    "In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
    development was the disintegration, under Christian
    influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
    of family right."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul S Person@21:1/5 to jsavard@ecn.ab.ca on Tue May 23 08:49:19 2023
    On Mon, 22 May 2023 17:06:15 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
    <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 11:29:18?AM UTC-6, Johnny1A wrote:

itself does not constitute evidence, you would be requried to show

But ... but ... they contradict Trump.

So, for Republicans, they /must/ be left-wing and untrustworthy.

But, for sane people, you are correct, although I believe their
    reputation has been tarnished a bit over the years.

Still, compared to (say) Fox, they are a shining light of truth.
    --
    of family right."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Horny Goat@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 23 13:56:52 2023
    On Mon, 22 May 2023 07:46:55 GMT, Charles Packer <mailbox@cpacker.org>
    wrote:

On Sat, 20 May 2023 04:15:47 -0700, Quadibloc wrote:

I know this is terribly off topic, but I think that it will be useful to
    some to be able to reference this particular essay, in the political
    discussions that crop up from time to time in this newsgroup:

https://londondaily.com/british-writer-pens-the-best-description-of- >trump-i-ve-read

John Savard

Trump phenomenon.

Burnett is of course better known for Survivor but he's written a
    couple of books which spell out how he made contact with Trump and
    between them worked out The Apprentice.

I'm still 44 seasons later a big Survivor fan but thoroughly disliked
    Trump in the Apprentice (which was kind of the point of the show - you
    weren't SUPPOSED to like him!).

All this was pre-2016 and I also saw a fair bit of Trump in wrestling
    shows back in the day before I gave it up over the way certain
    wrestlers abused their female "managers". (Yes Randy Savage I'm
    talking about you and a few of your friends who were just like you)

And no - I am neither an American (though my father's family is
    entirely American) nor a Brit (ditto though given my daughter's love
    life some of my future grandchildren probably will be...)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Van Pelt@21:1/5 to johnny1a.again@gmail.com on Wed May 24 19:41:36 2023
    In article <748cdd94-a480-44b8-a91b-609808da9005n@googlegroups.com>,
    Johnny1A <johnny1a.again@gmail.com> wrote:
    Anybody who thinks that the criticism of Trump boils down to snobbery >rather than observing his actual history and policies is either lying
    their arses off or brain dead.
    Trump's a racist, sexist, serial groper and likely rapist who was >repeatedly bailed out of business disaster by his father, cheated
    family members out of their legitimate inheritance cheated students who >enrolled in Trump University, has failed in most of his business
    ventures and their is huge amounts of evidence that he's based much of
    his success on fraud

itself does not constitute evidence, you would be requried to show why
    they should be believed).

I don't like Trump. I've never liked Trump, since the day
    the man first impinged on my awareness back in the 1980s.

(Oddly enough, the factors that got Trump elected in 2016
    were very much like the factors that got Obama elected in
    2008: People are **SICK** of "Politics as Usual", and
    are looking for someone who, hopefully, will care about
    America beyond the DC Beltway.)

Anyway, I've never voted for the SOB.

However -- the Left has flung so much fake crap about Trump
    since he got into politics that it causes me to doubt the
    reality of the real crap.

All during the primaries, the Monotone Media was all in for
    Hillary. Given her rather massive negatives, they looked at
    the whole slate of GOP candidates for the one most unelectable.

Trump, obviously. So they greased the skids for him. NBC
    News sat on that "Grab the Cat" video through the whole primary
    season so ("Please let it be Trump. Please *please* let it be
    Trump!") they could trot it out as an October Surprise.

It wasn't enough.

I will not be voting for Trump in the primaries. I dearly hope
    (now that I live in a potentially swing state, not the Peoples
    Democratic One-Party State of California, where my vote had no
    relevance whatsoever) that I am not forced into it by needing
    to vote against the senile dolt (who was never the sharpest
    bowling ball in the gunny sack back before dementia eroded
    his limited supply of marbles) who's likely to blunder us
    into nuclear Armageddon.
    --
    Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
    mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane
    KE6BVH | Ike on Surfside Beach in Galveston

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hamish Laws@21:1/5 to Mike Van Pelt on Wed May 24 21:15:00 2023
    On Thursday, May 25, 2023 at 5:41:40 AM UTC+10, Mike Van Pelt wrote:
    In article <748cdd94-a480-44b8...@googlegroups.com>,
    Johnny1A <johnny1...@gmail.com> wrote:
    Anybody who thinks that the criticism of Trump boils down to snobbery >rather than observing his actual history and policies is either lying >their arses off or brain dead.
    Trump's a racist, sexist, serial groper and likely rapist who was >repeatedly bailed out of business disaster by his father, cheated
    family members out of their legitimate inheritance cheated students who >enrolled in Trump University, has failed in most of his business
    his success on fraud

Let's see that evidence (note that reports in the left-wing media in >itself does not constitute evidence, you would be requried to show why >they should be believed).

since he got into politics

Such as?
    and how does it compare to the fake crap the GOP has flung about Democrat candidates?

that it causes me to doubt the reality of the real crap.

Yeah, because it's not like there's any fucking evidence to support it

All during the primaries, the Monotone Media was all in for
    Hillary.

Sure they were

Given her rather massive negatives, they looked at
    the whole slate of GOP candidates for the one most unelectable.

Trump, obviously. So they greased the skids for him. NBC
    News sat on that "Grab the Cat" video through the whole primary
    season so ("Please let it be Trump. Please *please* let it be
    Trump!") they could trot it out as an October Surprise.

It wasn't enough.

into nuclear Armageddon.

You think Biden's senile but you're fine with Trump?
    Do you consume any media other than Fox?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jack Bohn@21:1/5 to Among the thingsMike Van Pelt on Thu May 25 05:19:30 2023
    Among the thingsMike Van Pelt wrote:

into nuclear Armageddon.

With the last election cycle, and the way the next one has been looking to shape up since then, I'm surprised the third parties have not tried to gain traction in offering a different choice.

--
    -Jack

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul S Person@21:1/5 to jack.bohn64@gmail.com on Thu May 25 08:44:29 2023
    On Thu, 25 May 2023 05:19:30 -0700 (PDT), Jack Bohn
    <jack.bohn64@gmail.com> wrote:

Among the thingsMike Van Pelt wrote:

into nuclear Armageddon.

With the last election cycle, and the way the next one has been looking to shape up since then, I'm surprised the third parties have not tried to gain traction in offering a different choice.

It's hard to do, and expensive.

And they get attacked from /both/ sides -- those who oppose their
    positions, and those who accuse them of splitting the field and so
    ensuring the victory of the enemy.
    --
    of family right."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From William Hyde@21:1/5 to Quadibloc on Thu May 25 12:27:40 2023
    On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 7:15:50 AM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
    I know this is terribly off topic,

Indeed it is.

but I think that it will be useful
    to some to be able to reference this particular essay,

No it won't be.

in the
    newsgroup:

As they shouldn't.

Here's a plan:

Read a work of SF.

Then: another.

William Hyde

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David Johnston@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 25 18:32:42 2023
    On 2023-05-22 11:29 a.m., Johnny1A wrote:
    newsgroup:

John Savard
    observations on this -

Ah. So you will reject all evidence. Noted.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Van Pelt@21:1/5 to hamish.laws@gmail.com on Mon May 29 19:00:06 2023
    In article <1a1550b2-272b-4c55-8ab0-00ae4c65b6efn@googlegroups.com>,
    Hamish Laws <hamish.laws@gmail.com> wrote:
    You think Biden's senile but you're fine with Trump?
    Do you consume any media other than Fox?

After a screed in which I was quite explicit about how
    I was very much *NOT* "fine with Trump"...

And, no, I do not watch Fox News.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Van Pelt@21:1/5 to jack.bohn64@gmail.com on Mon May 29 19:05:51 2023
    In article <814af1ca-abe9-4704-83c0-0b36d7886143n@googlegroups.com>,
    Jack Bohn <jack.bohn64@gmail.com> wrote:
    With the last election cycle, and the way the next one has been looking
    to shape up since then, I'm surprised the third parties have not tried
    to gain traction in offering a different choice.

Too much "plurality take all" in the way we do elections.
    Vote for Ross Perot, it's a vote for Bill Clinton. Vote for
    Ralph Nader, it's a vote for George W. Bush. I would *LOVE*
    some sort of ranked-choice voting, like what the Hugos do, or
    Condorcet, or some such. I haven't been happy with any of the
    choices presented to me in ... a long time. I've usually ended
    up voting Libertarian as an "A Plague On Both Your Parties"
    vote, when I was voting in a certain one-party state, but
    I've moved from there, and my vote might actually have some
    relevance now.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From William Hyde@21:1/5 to The Horny Goat on Mon May 29 13:43:08 2023
    On Monday, May 29, 2023 at 4:36:38 PM UTC-4, The Horny Goat wrote:
    On Mon, 29 May 2023 19:05:51 -0000 (UTC), Mike Van Pelt <use...@mikevanpelt.com> wrote:

In article <814af1ca-abe9-4704...@googlegroups.com>,
    Jack Bohn <jack....@gmail.com> wrote:
    With the last election cycle, and the way the next one has been looking >>to shape up since then, I'm surprised the third parties have not tried >>to gain traction in offering a different choice.

relevance now.
    The trouble with ranked ballots is that you end up with a permanent "minority government"

Evidence for this claim is lacking.

in power as the last two Canadian elections
    show.

No they do not.

Canada isn't a ranked ballot country

Indeed. But it should be.

William Hyde

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Horny Goat@21:1/5 to usenet@mikevanpelt.com on Mon May 29 13:34:52 2023
    On Mon, 29 May 2023 19:05:51 -0000 (UTC), Mike Van Pelt <usenet@mikevanpelt.com> wrote:

In article <814af1ca-abe9-4704-83c0-0b36d7886143n@googlegroups.com>,
    Jack Bohn <jack.bohn64@gmail.com> wrote:
    With the last election cycle, and the way the next one has been looking
    to shape up since then, I'm surprised the third parties have not tried
    to gain traction in offering a different choice.

relevance now.

The trouble with ranked ballots is that you end up with a permanent
    "minority government" in power as the last two Canadian elections
    show.

Canada isn't a ranked ballot country but with 4 or more parties
    winning seats in a 'first past the post' system you have a situation
    where one party got 1.2m more voters than the winner in 2019 and the
    same party 250k more voters than the winner (same 2 parties) in 2021.

This is called "winning one block of seats by huge majorities in 2 or
    3 party races" vs. "winning a bigger block of seats in 4 or more party
    races by 1% or less"

Basically in 2019 and 2021 Justin Trudeau got 33-35% of the popular
    vote and with a coalition between his party and the #3 party forms an
    effective majority while the #2 party (who got more votes in the last
    2 elections) gets to pound sand.

On top of that Canadian political parties don't choose candidates for
    president but rather leaders who lead their parties and the party with
    the most seats wins power. The previous Conservative party leader
    trailed the candidate he beat in the last ballot for his party's
    leadership for 13 ballots with a majority only achieved by any
    candidate on the last (14th) ballot. Since it was a mostly remote
    election they didn't let the loser (who had led most of the way) make
    a concession speech calling on everybody to unite around the winning
    candidate, he went out and formed a new party which got 5% of the
    popular vote that had he not done that would have gotten the
    Conservative party a majority government.

All of this will be familiar stuff to Rhino and the other Canucks here
    but really and truly, you would WANT this for the United States?

(Note: Canadian federal politics is more strongly affected by regional loyalties in the United States and it is common for such loyalties to
    last 20+ years before they swing again. It will be interesting to see
    what happens in Alberta today since unlike the US Canadian provinces
    DON'T run their elections on the same day as the federal vote and
    today is election day in Alberta)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Van Pelt@21:1/5 to lcraver@home.ca on Tue May 30 02:20:15 2023
    In article <ie2a7i1bsim2lbt2c5f5aauthqgn2srht0@4ax.com>,
    The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
    show.

Canada's is a parlamentary system, not a system with
    ranked choice balloting. Those are entirely different
    things.

One feature of a ranked choice system is that it tends to
    disadvantage the extremes on both ends, and advantage those
    who have more appeal in the center.

(Extremists may consider this a bug)
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Nicoll@21:1/5 to usenet@mikevanpelt.com on Tue May 30 03:11:01 2023
    In article <u53mgv$1reeo$1@dont-email.me>,
    Mike Van Pelt <usenet@mikevanpelt.com> wrote:
    The trouble with ranked ballots is that you end up with a permanent >>"minority government" in power as the last two Canadian elections
    show.

things.

Parliamentary is orthagonal to this. It's like saying Canada
    is rectangular, not Anglophone.

Canada is first past the post. It's possible for us to use
    ranked choice, provided we figure out how to convince politicians
    who got into office with FPTP that ranked choice is in their
    interest. The Liberals floated a change a while back but when
    their preference didn't seem like it would prevail, spiked it.

--
    My reviews can be found at http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/
    My tor pieces at https://www.tor.com/author/james-davis-nicoll/
    My Dreamwidth at https://james-davis-nicoll.dreamwidth.org/
    My patreon is at https://www.patreon.com/jamesdnicoll

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hamish Laws@21:1/5 to The Horny Goat on Mon May 29 21:37:01 2023
    On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 6:36:38 AM UTC+10, The Horny Goat wrote:
    On Mon, 29 May 2023 19:05:51 -0000 (UTC), Mike Van Pelt <use...@mikevanpelt.com> wrote:

In article <814af1ca-abe9-4704...@googlegroups.com>,
    Jack Bohn <jack....@gmail.com> wrote:
    With the last election cycle, and the way the next one has been looking >>to shape up since then, I'm surprised the third parties have not tried >>to gain traction in offering a different choice.

relevance now.
    The trouble with ranked ballots is that you end up with a permanent "minority government" in power as the last two Canadian elections
    show.

Australia uses preference voting, we had a minority government for 1 term after the 2010 election and the time before that was in 1940
    (we got a minority government in 2018 after the 2016 election but that was because government MPs resigned from parliament and others left their party to sit on the crossbenches)

So we don't have a permanent minority government

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew McDowell@21:1/5 to Mike Van Pelt on Mon May 29 21:23:18 2023
    On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 3:20:19 AM UTC+1, Mike Van Pelt wrote:
    In article <ie2a7i1bsim2lbt2c...@4ax.com>,
    The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:
    The trouble with ranked ballots is that you end up with a permanent >"minority government" in power as the last two Canadian elections
    show.
    things.

--
    A claim on ranked choice voting that I found amusing - one way that it disadvantages extreme positions is that extremists know that the one true way is the only way, and all the other politicians are Nazis, so they only use their first preference. Voters
    who are prepared to put up with second best and list further preferences have more influence.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kevrob@21:1/5 to Paul S Person on Mon May 29 22:43:03 2023
    On Thursday, May 25, 2023 at 11:44:35 AM UTC-4, Paul S Person wrote:
    On Thu, 25 May 2023 05:19:30 -0700 (PDT), Jack Bohn
    <jack....@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

With the last election cycle, and the way the next one has been looking to shape up
    since then, I'm surprised the third parties have not tried to gain traction in offering a different choice.
    It's hard to do, and expensive.

It is. I was in charge of the 1988 petition drive in my state to get
    the Libertarian candisats on the ballot. We had to petiion as
    independents because collecting the required number of signatures
    to get the party on the ballot was prohibitive.

Whatever the rules are the Dems and Reps in the state legislaures,
    once you start attracting any votes, change them. Then the non-official parties and independent candidates have to spend what little cash
    they have to sue the bastards.

[quote]

More bills introduced in 2023 than in 2022 that would make ballot
    access more difficult for political parties

[quote]

https://ballotpedia.org/Daily_Brew:_May_26,_2023

And they get attacked from /both/ sides -- those who oppose their
    positions, and those who accuse them of splitting the field and so
    ensuring the victory of the enemy.
    --

I would sooner have the deposit system used in Britain frankly.

--
    Kevin R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to William Hyde on Mon May 29 22:46:50 2023
    On Monday, May 29, 2023 at 2:43:11 PM UTC-6, William Hyde wrote:
    On Monday, May 29, 2023 at 4:36:38 PM UTC-4, The Horny Goat wrote:

The trouble with ranked ballots is that you end up with a permanent "minority government"

Evidence for this claim is lacking.

Perhaps he had ranked ballots confused with proportional representation,
    for which that claim would be true (as India, Israel, and Italy prove).

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Van Pelt@21:1/5 to mcdowell_ag@sky.com on Tue May 30 16:19:17 2023
    In article <ad2662f7-3a84-4167-93b8-07db6336e943n@googlegroups.com>,
    Andrew McDowell <mcdowell_ag@sky.com> wrote:
    A claim on ranked choice voting that I found amusing - one way that it >disadvantages extreme positions is that extremists know that the one
    true way is the only way, and all the other politicians are Nazis, so
    they only use their first preference. Voters who are prepared to put up
    with second best and list further preferences have more influence.

Heh. That may be. If I were voting ranked choice,
    I'd be ranking all the candidates right down to the
    very end, with Green and CPUSA dead last. (Assuming
    the Nazis or Klukkers weren't on the ballot, in which
    case they'd take dead last.)
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From William Hyde@21:1/5 to Mike Van Pelt on Tue May 30 11:19:34 2023
    On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 12:19:22 PM UTC-4, Mike Van Pelt wrote:
    In article <ad2662f7-3a84-4167...@googlegroups.com>,
    Andrew McDowell <mcdow...@sky.com> wrote:
    A claim on ranked choice voting that I found amusing - one way that it >disadvantages extreme positions is that extremists know that the one
    they only use their first preference. Voters who are prepared to put up >with second best and list further preferences have more influence.

If you can abide another Canadian example:

The strong liberal majority of 2015 came in part because voters otherwise loyal to the
    NDP (mildly socialist) voted Liberal as their top priority was to defeat the conservatives.
    Even safe NDP seats went liberal. With ranked ballots left wing voters could have
    selected (1) NDP (2) Liberal (3) Green, or something of the kind without fearing that a
    conservative might get the seat due to vote splitting.

I like the idea of not having to vote for your second choice, in order to keep the third
    choice out.

William Hyde

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Nicoll@21:1/5 to wthyde1953@gmail.com on Tue May 30 18:24:07 2023
    In article <db5a1743-ac13-4b3a-872d-e3e10c6d459en@googlegroups.com>,
    William Hyde <wthyde1953@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 12:19:22 PM UTC-4, Mike Van Pelt wrote:
    In article <ad2662f7-3a84-4167...@googlegroups.com>,
    Andrew McDowell <mcdow...@sky.com> wrote:
    A claim on ranked choice voting that I found amusing - one way that it
    disadvantages extreme positions is that extremists know that the one
    they only use their first preference. Voters who are prepared to put up
    with second best and list further preferences have more influence.

If you can abide another Canadian example:

The strong liberal majority of 2015 came in part because voters
    otherwise loyal to the
    NDP (mildly socialist) voted Liberal as their top priority was to
    defeat the conservatives.
    Even safe NDP seats went liberal. With ranked ballots left wing voters
    could have
    selected (1) NDP (2) Liberal (3) Green, or something of the kind
    without fearing that a
    conservative might get the seat due to vote splitting.

I like the idea of not having to vote for your second choice, in order
    to keep the third
    choice out.

The fourth choice is even more vile....

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alan@21:1/5 to Mike Van Pelt on Wed May 31 10:08:24 2023
    On 2023-05-24 12:41, Mike Van Pelt wrote:
    In article<748cdd94-a480-44b8-a91b-609808da9005n@googlegroups.com>, Johnny1A<johnny1a.again@gmail.com> wrote:
    Anybody who thinks that the criticism of Trump boils down to snobbery
    rather than observing his actual history and policies is either lying
    their arses off or brain dead.
    Trump's a racist, sexist, serial groper and likely rapist who was
    repeatedly bailed out of business disaster by his father, cheated
    family members out of their legitimate inheritance cheated students who
    enrolled in Trump University, has failed in most of his business
    his success on fraud

itself does not constitute evidence, you would be requried to show why
    they should be believed).

What "fake crap" would you be referring to?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Van Pelt@21:1/5 to wthyde1953@gmail.com on Thu Jun 1 05:17:37 2023
    In article <db5a1743-ac13-4b3a-872d-e3e10c6d459en@googlegroups.com>,
    I like the idea of not having to vote for your second choice, in order to keep the third
    choice out.

Yeah... I hate having to choose between Unacceptable and Anathema.
    If I could put "Good, but won't win", and "Tolerable, but won't win"
    ahead of them, my voting wouldn't look so much like Dick's in that
    "Third Rock" episode. (Ob SF content)
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Van Pelt@21:1/5 to nuh-uh@nope.com on Thu Jun 1 05:18:55 2023
    In article <u57uu8$2elkt$5@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

Starting with the Steele Dossier.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alan@21:1/5 to Mike Van Pelt on Wed May 31 22:20:51 2023
    On 2023-05-31 22:18, Mike Van Pelt wrote:
    In article <u57uu8$2elkt$5@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

Sorry, but that's what the MAGA narrative would like you to believe.

There are elements of that dossier that are unproven...

...but that doesn't make the entire thing false.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Van Pelt@21:1/5 to nuh-uh@nope.com on Thu Jun 1 05:56:43 2023
    In article <u599rj$2mthl$2@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
    In article <u57uu8$2elkt$5@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote: >>>> However -- the Left has flung so much fake crap about Trump

"Unproven" here being a euphemism for "no actual evidence
    whatsoever outside of lurid assertions from a Russian
    operative paid for by the Clinton campaign."

And continuing with "Trump says injecting bleach will cure
    COVID", and "Trump says that some of the Nazis and KKK are
    very fine people."

I listened to the full quotes. People who say that are lying,
    flat out, or are just repeating lies not caring if they are
    true or not, because they will believe without question any
    negative thing anyone says about Orange Man Bad.

And, again, I do not like the man, I never voted for him,
    and I hope to never be in a situation where my vote matters
    and he is the lesser evil. (I keep threatening to write in
    Cthulhu, just to not be voting for the lesser evil.)
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alan@21:1/5 to Mike Van Pelt on Thu Jun 1 00:06:53 2023
    On 2023-05-31 22:56, Mike Van Pelt wrote:
    In article <u599rj$2mthl$2@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
    In article <u57uu8$2elkt$5@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote: >>>>> However -- the Left has flung so much fake crap about Trump

Nope.

Sorry.

very fine people."

Which he did... ...and he did.

I listened to the full quotes. People who say that are lying,
    flat out, or are just repeating lies not caring if they are
    true or not, because they will believe without question any
    negative thing anyone says about Orange Man Bad.

And, again, I do not like the man, I never voted for him,
    and I hope to never be in a situation where my vote matters
    and he is the lesser evil. (I keep threatening to write in
    Cthulhu, just to not be voting for the lesser evil.)

And yet you're carrying his water.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From petertrei@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Alan on Thu Jun 1 06:59:05 2023
    On Thursday, June 1, 2023 at 3:06:58 AM UTC-4, Alan wrote:
    In article <u599rj$2mthl$2...@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh...@nope.com> wrote:
    In article <u57uu8$2elkt$5...@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh...@nope.com> wrote:

Nope.

Sorry.

very fine people."

We're on the internet. Check for yourself:
    https://youtu.be/d57zJr82dhQ
    it starts 24 seconds in.

He's actually wondering if it *could* be done. Of course, this displays
    a massive ignorance of science, biology, and chemistry. ...but thats
    no suprise with this bloated tick of a man.

I detest Trump, and nearly all his actions. I'd like to see him behind
    bars. But we should be honest: He was asking a stupid question,
    not asserting it was a cure.

pt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul S Person@21:1/5 to petertrei@gmail.com on Thu Jun 1 08:35:44 2023
    On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 06:59:05 -0700 (PDT), "pete...@gmail.com" <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday, June 1, 2023 at 3:06:58?AM UTC-4, Alan wrote:
    In article <u599rj$2mthl$2...@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh...@nope.com> wrote:

Nope.

Sorry.

very fine people."

it starts 24 seconds in.

That's his One True Skill: to say clearly outrageous and stupid things
    in such a way that he doesn't actually say them.

But he is, in fact, saying it.

And he knows it.
    --
    of family right."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alan@21:1/5 to pete...@gmail.com on Thu Jun 1 10:20:45 2023
    On 2023-06-01 06:59, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, June 1, 2023 at 3:06:58 AM UTC-4, Alan wrote:
    In article <u599rj$2mthl$2...@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh...@nope.com> wrote: >>>> On 2023-05-31 22:18, Mike Van Pelt wrote:

Nope.

Sorry.

very fine people."

it starts 24 seconds in.

Split that hair if you like.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kevrob@21:1/5 to Alan on Thu Jun 1 16:39:13 2023
    On Thursday, June 1, 2023 at 1:20:50 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:

[snip]

I detest Trump, and nearly all his actions. I'd like to see him behind bars. But we should be honest: He was asking a stupid question,

https://timjwise.medium.com/im-just-asking-questions-is-the-rhetoric-of-assholes-and-grifters-5cd0825daac

--
    Kevin R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From petertrei@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Kevrob on Thu Jun 1 20:45:29 2023
    On Thursday, June 1, 2023 at 7:39:16 PM UTC-4, Kevrob wrote:
    [snip]
    I detest Trump, and nearly all his actions. I'd like to see him behind bars. But we should be honest: He was asking a stupid question,
    https://timjwise.medium.com/im-just-asking-questions-is-the-rhetoric-of-assholes-and-grifters-5cd0825daac

It absolutely is, but refusing to acknowledge the hairsplitting just gives the MAGAts another
    reason to dismiss you and disregard the truth.

Pt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alan@21:1/5 to Kevrob on Thu Jun 1 21:26:16 2023
    On 2023-06-01 16:39, Kevrob wrote:

[snip]

Precisely so.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Nicoll@21:1/5 to pete...@gmail.com on Fri Jun 2 13:32:39 2023
    In article <367187f4-863a-4511-915d-d5ca2f29c4cbn@googlegroups.com>, pete...@gmail.com <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Thursday, June 1, 2023 at 7:39:16 PM UTC-4, Kevrob wrote:
    [snip]
    I detest Trump, and nearly all his actions. I'd like to see him behind >> > > bars. But we should be honest: He was asking a stupid question,

It absolutely is, but refusing to acknowledge the hairsplitting just
    gives the MAGAts another
    reason to dismiss you and disregard the truth.

The MAGAts will do that no matter what one does, therefore the only
    reasonble approach is to disregard their reaction.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Johnny1A@21:1/5 to Quadibloc on Sun Jun 4 21:12:52 2023
    On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 7:06:17 PM UTC-5, Quadibloc wrote:
    On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 11:29:18 AM UTC-6, Johnny1A wrote:

Let's see that evidence (note that reports in the left-wing media in itself does not constitute evidence, you would be requried to show

LOL

There _was_ a time when the liberal media had such a reputation. It was undeserved even then, but they _were_ the mainstream media by virtue of being an effective monopoly.

In the old days, every big city had multiple newspapers, usually at least one lined up with every major political, social, or economic alignment or POV. They were often dishonest, often histrionic, but their very multiplicity helped to get stories out,
    if the Republican paper ignored a story the Dem paper would cover it, if the union-friendly paper tried to bury a story the pro-business paper would print it, etc.

The rise of broadcasting produced a few radio and later TV networks, the huge variety of papers shrank down to a handful, and the 'tone' of the coverage became more restrained and superficially respectable-sounding, (though not necessarily more honest).
    And to be fair, the outlook of the big media organs in the 1940s and 1950s were much closer to the general public's than they would be later. But later, the divergence got bigger and bigger, and the 'old media' became just one source among many, and
    became more dependent on ever-shrinking audience of upper-middle-class liberals. Today, the only people who still think the 'mainstream media' are 'unbiased and accurate' tend to be liberal Democrats.

John Savard

Since the claim of 'unbiased and accurate' is factually false, it does not provide a reason to put faith in them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Horny Goat@21:1/5 to usenet@mikevanpelt.com on Sun Jun 4 23:27:40 2023
    On Tue, 30 May 2023 16:19:17 -0000 (UTC), Mike Van Pelt <usenet@mikevanpelt.com> wrote:

In article <ad2662f7-3a84-4167-93b8-07db6336e943n@googlegroups.com>,
    Andrew McDowell <mcdowell_ag@sky.com> wrote:
    A claim on ranked choice voting that I found amusing - one way that it >>disadvantages extreme positions is that extremists know that the one
    they only use their first preference. Voters who are prepared to put up >>with second best and list further preferences have more influence.

You wouldn't need to - if you listed only the parties you would agree
    to have your vote transferred to and left those you would let hell
    freeze over before you voted for them (like most of us here would feel
    about most of the parties you name) it would have the same effect.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Horny Goat@21:1/5 to usenet@mikevanpelt.com on Sun Jun 4 23:23:03 2023
    On Tue, 30 May 2023 02:20:15 -0000 (UTC), Mike Van Pelt <usenet@mikevanpelt.com> wrote:

The trouble with ranked ballots is that you end up with a permanent >>"minority government" in power as the last two Canadian elections
    show.

things.

In a party 'convention' ranked ballots are also bad as they tend to
    prevent concession speeches where the #2 candidate calls on all
    members of the party to pull together to support the winner.

This was a critical problem in a Canadian leadership contest where it
    went 14 ballots with one candidate leading on the first 13 ballots and overtaken on the final ballot with the result that he did NOT get the opportunity to do 'the concession speech', then split the party by
    creating a splinter group which cost the party the next general
    election.....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Horny Goat@21:1/5 to Nicoll on Sun Jun 4 23:25:40 2023
    On Tue, 30 May 2023 03:11:01 -0000 (UTC), jdnicoll@panix.com (James
    Nicoll) wrote:

In article <u53mgv$1reeo$1@dont-email.me>,
    Mike Van Pelt <usenet@mikevanpelt.com> wrote:
    The trouble with ranked ballots is that you end up with a permanent >>>"minority government" in power as the last two Canadian elections
    show.

things.

Parliamentary is orthagonal to this. It's like saying Canada
    is rectangular, not Anglophone.

Canada is first past the post. It's possible for us to use
    ranked choice, provided we figure out how to convince politicians
    who got into office with FPTP that ranked choice is in their
    interest. The Liberals floated a change a while back but when
    their preference didn't seem like it would prevail, spiked it.

I don't know about this but BC had a referendum on single transferable
    ballot that got 50% but it was considered a constitutional matter and
    therefore a higher percentage to pass (can't remember but 60%?) which
    it didn't get. I'm pretty sure there was another province that did
    such a referendum and it too didn't get the required percentage to
    pass.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From petertrei@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 5 05:59:25 2023
    On Monday, June 5, 2023 at 12:12:54 AM UTC-4, Johnny1A wrote:

Since the claim of 'unbiased and accurate' is factually false, it does not provide a reason to put faith in them.

All your arguments apply to 'right wing' sources as well - Fox News, for example, has been
    shown in court to have knowingly reported falsehoods so as not to alienate its audience.

How do *you* determine what's true, Johnny? What sources do you regard as trustworthy?
    RealRawNews.com?

pt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dimensional Traveler@21:1/5 to William Hyde on Mon Jun 5 16:06:53 2023
    On 6/5/2023 3:29 PM, William Hyde wrote:
    On Monday, June 5, 2023 at 2:23:08 AM UTC-4, The Horny Goat wrote:
    On Tue, 30 May 2023 02:20:15 -0000 (UTC), Mike Van Pelt
    <use...@mikevanpelt.com> wrote:

show.

things.

That makes not the slightest sense.

Of course not! It's a political convention. :P

--
    I've done good in this world. Now I'm tired and just want to be a cranky
    dirty old man.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From William Hyde@21:1/5 to The Horny Goat on Mon Jun 5 15:29:00 2023
    On Monday, June 5, 2023 at 2:23:08 AM UTC-4, The Horny Goat wrote:
    On Tue, 30 May 2023 02:20:15 -0000 (UTC), Mike Van Pelt <use...@mikevanpelt.com> wrote:

show.

things.

went 14 ballots with one candidate leading on the first 13 ballots and overtaken on the final ballot with the result that he did NOT get the opportunity to do 'the concession speech', then split the party by
    creating a splinter group which cost the party the next general election.....

The blame here lies with the people themselves, not the ballot system.

Personally I would have loved to hear Bernier's non-concession speech.
    I imagine that it was better for the conservative party that it not be given.

Had Bernier just gone along like an adult, he'd have won the next time and would now be our PM in waiting. But when you put children in high office
    this is what happens.

William Hyde

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hamish Laws@21:1/5 to The Horny Goat on Mon Jun 5 18:06:29 2023
    On Monday, June 5, 2023 at 4:23:08 PM UTC+10, The Horny Goat wrote:
    On Tue, 30 May 2023 02:20:15 -0000 (UTC), Mike Van Pelt <use...@mikevanpelt.com> wrote:

show.

things.

How does that prevent concession speeches?
    Presumably there's some ceremony or, at the least, a press conference where the winner is announced
    What stops the losing candidates from giving a speech there?

went 14 ballots with one candidate leading on the first 13 ballots and overtaken on the final ballot with the result that he did NOT get the opportunity to do 'the concession speech',

Did he not get the opportunity or did he not take the opportunity?
    It's a very different situation

then split the party by

If he did that then he presumably didn't want to give a concession speech calling on everybody to pull together behind the candidate

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul S Person@21:1/5 to hamish.laws@gmail.com on Tue Jun 6 08:48:03 2023
    On Mon, 5 Jun 2023 18:06:29 -0700 (PDT), Hamish Laws
    <hamish.laws@gmail.com> wrote:

On Monday, June 5, 2023 at 4:23:08?PM UTC+10, The Horny Goat wrote:

show.

things.

Presumably there's some ceremony or, at the least, a press conference where the winner is announced

went 14 ballots with one candidate leading on the first 13 ballots and
    overtaken on the final ballot with the result that he did NOT get the
    opportunity to do 'the concession speech',

then split the party by
    election.....

If he did that then he presumably didn't want to give a concession speech calling on everybody to pull together behind the candidate

I /think/ the point is that the voting system leaves #2 believing he
    could and should and would (with a different voting system) have been
    #1 and so not interested in conceding.

IOW, it blurs the concept of "winner" and so also of "loser".

Imagine what Trump could have said if the 2020 election used one of
    these stylish new voting systems. How many more points at which he
    could allege fraud.
    --
    of family right."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dimensional Traveler@21:1/5 to Paul S Person on Tue Jun 6 10:21:46 2023
    On 6/6/2023 8:48 AM, Paul S Person wrote:

show.

things.

then split the party by
    election.....

could allege fraud.

The voting system wouldn't have increased or decreased that individual's efforts to toss the election results out.

--
    dirty old man.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From William Hyde@21:1/5 to Hamish Laws on Tue Jun 6 11:05:37 2023
    On Monday, June 5, 2023 at 9:06:31 PM UTC-4, Hamish Laws wrote:
    On Monday, June 5, 2023 at 4:23:08 PM UTC+10, The Horny Goat wrote:

The trouble with ranked ballots is that you end up with a permanent >>"minority government" in power as the last two Canadian elections >>show.

things.

In a party 'convention' ranked ballots are also bad as they tend to prevent concession speeches where the #2 candidate calls on all

went 14 ballots with one candidate leading on the first 13 ballots and overtaken on the final ballot with the result that he did NOT get the opportunity to do 'the concession speech',
    then split the party by

Bernier believed that he lost the leadership not due to the voting system, but due to the dairy
    industry, which, he said, bought the delegates from parts of rural Quebec, an area which
    otherwise might have been expected to support him.

Of course, our selection of delegates for such conventions is a corrupt and shameless affair, a national
    scandal, but Bernier didn't object until it was his ox being gored.

His speech, I expect, would have focused on this, and not at all been a call for unity, perhaps not even
    a concession speech.

He's running in a by-election currently. The Conservatives are turning all the big guns on him, including calling
    this libertarian a "liberal". Speaking of shameless...

William Hyde

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul S Person@21:1/5 to dtravel@sonic.net on Wed Jun 7 08:04:03 2023
    On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 10:21:46 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
    <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

The trouble with ranked ballots is that you end up with a permanent >>>>>> "minority government" in power as the last two Canadian elections
    show.

things.

went 14 ballots with one candidate leading on the first 13 ballots and >>>> overtaken on the final ballot with the result that he did NOT get the

then split the party by
    election.....

could allege fraud.

The voting system wouldn't have increased or decreased that individual's >efforts to toss the election results out.

If I understand the spiffy new systems correctly, he could have
    alleged that the programs used to compute the winner were corrupt and
    biased. With "one voter, one vote for one candidate", he did not have
    that line of attack.

So, yes, his idiocy /could/ have been even worse than it was.
    --
    of family right."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dimensional Traveler@21:1/5 to Paul S Person on Wed Jun 7 09:03:09 2023
    On 6/7/2023 8:04 AM, Paul S Person wrote:

The trouble with ranked ballots is that you end up with a permanent >>>>>>> "minority government" in power as the last two Canadian elections >>>>>>> show.

things.

This was a critical problem in a Canadian leadership contest where it >>>>> went 14 ballots with one candidate leading on the first 13 ballots and >>>>> overtaken on the final ballot with the result that he did NOT get the >>>>> opportunity to do 'the concession speech',

then split the party by
    election.....

could allege fraud.

The voting system wouldn't have increased or decreased that individual's
    efforts to toss the election results out.

that line of attack.

He's basically accusing the _current_ system of being corrupt and
    biased. The details of his accusations might have changed but the scale
    of his effort would not have.

--
    dirty old man.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Halpenny@21:1/5 to Dimensional Traveler on Wed Jun 7 17:41:09 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 12:03:12 PM UTC-4, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
    <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

<hamis...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Monday, June 5, 2023 at 4:23:08?PM UTC+10, The Horny Goat wrote: >>>>> On Tue, 30 May 2023 02:20:15 -0000 (UTC), Mike Van Pelt

The trouble with ranked ballots is that you end up with a permanent >>>>>>> "minority government" in power as the last two Canadian elections >>>>>>> show.

things.

In a party 'convention' ranked ballots are also bad as they tend to >>>>> prevent concession speeches where the #2 candidate calls on all

This was a critical problem in a Canadian leadership contest where it >>>>> went 14 ballots with one candidate leading on the first 13 ballots and >>>>> overtaken on the final ballot with the result that he did NOT get the >>>>> opportunity to do 'the concession speech',

then split the party by
    election.....

could and should and would (with a different voting system) have been >>> #1 and so not interested in conceding.

could allege fraud.

The voting system wouldn't have increased or decreased that individual's >> efforts to toss the election results out.

alleged that the programs used to compute the winner were corrupt and biased. With "one voter, one vote for one candidate", he did not have
    that line of attack.

--

Any system that doesn't elect "me" is unfair and corrupt. It must be changed. Aren't those who are proposing the various ranked ballot systems saying the same thing?

John

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hamish Laws@21:1/5 to John Halpenny on Wed Jun 7 20:25:37 2023
    On Thursday, June 8, 2023 at 10:41:11 AM UTC+10, John Halpenny wrote:
    On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 10:21:46 -0700, Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

On Monday, June 5, 2023 at 4:23:08?PM UTC+10, The Horny Goat wrote: >>>>> On Tue, 30 May 2023 02:20:15 -0000 (UTC), Mike Van Pelt

"minority government" in power as the last two Canadian elections >>>>>>> show.

things.

In a party 'convention' ranked ballots are also bad as they tend to >>>>> prevent concession speeches where the #2 candidate calls on all >>>>> members of the party to pull together to support the winner.

Did he not get the opportunity or did he not take the opportunity? >>>> It's a very different situation

then split the party by
    creating a splinter group which cost the party the next general >>>>> election.....

I /think/ the point is that the voting system leaves #2 believing he >>> could and should and would (with a different voting system) have been >>> #1 and so not interested in conceding.

Imagine what Trump could have said if the 2020 election used one of >>> these stylish new voting systems. How many more points at which he
    could allege fraud.

alleged that the programs used to compute the winner were corrupt and biased. With "one voter, one vote for one candidate", he did not have that line of attack.

Any system that doesn't elect "me" is unfair and corrupt. It must be changed. Aren't those who are proposing the various ranked ballot systems saying the same thing?

No

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hamish Laws@21:1/5 to Paul S Person on Wed Jun 7 20:25:05 2023
    On Thursday, June 8, 2023 at 1:04:09 AM UTC+10, Paul S Person wrote:

The trouble with ranked ballots is that you end up with a permanent >>>>>> "minority government" in power as the last two Canadian elections >>>>>> show.

things.

In a party 'convention' ranked ballots are also bad as they tend to >>>> prevent concession speeches where the #2 candidate calls on all

This was a critical problem in a Canadian leadership contest where it >>>> went 14 ballots with one candidate leading on the first 13 ballots and >>>> overtaken on the final ballot with the result that he did NOT get the >>>> opportunity to do 'the concession speech',

then split the party by
    election.....

could allege fraud.

The voting system wouldn't have increased or decreased that individual's >efforts to toss the election results out.
    alleged that the programs used to compute the winner were corrupt and biased.

In Australia we still use paper voting for a preferential election system Aren't the individual US votes printed for the voter to check and pass in?
    If so hand recounts are still supported

With "one voter, one vote for one candidate", he did not have
    that line of attack.

Nah, he's so far away from sane on this that pretty much nothing could increase his idiocy level there

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul S Person@21:1/5 to dtravel@sonic.net on Thu Jun 8 08:53:41 2023
    On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 09:03:09 -0700, Dimensional Traveler

On Monday, June 5, 2023 at 4:23:08?PM UTC+10, The Horny Goat wrote: >>>>>> On Tue, 30 May 2023 02:20:15 -0000 (UTC), Mike Van Pelt

The trouble with ranked ballots is that you end up with a permanent >>>>>>>> "minority government" in power as the last two Canadian elections >>>>>>>> show.

things.

In a party 'convention' ranked ballots are also bad as they tend to >>>>>> prevent concession speeches where the #2 candidate calls on all

This was a critical problem in a Canadian leadership contest where it >>>>>> went 14 ballots with one candidate leading on the first 13 ballots and >>>>>> overtaken on the final ballot with the result that he did NOT get the >>>>>> opportunity to do 'the concession speech',

then split the party by
    election.....

could allege fraud.

The voting system wouldn't have increased or decreased that individual's >>> efforts to toss the election results out.

that line of attack.

Except, of course, that there might be /new/ software vendors he and
    his fans could have claimed had jimmied elections in, say, Albania
    (just to pick a country at random).

New targets, new fund-raising possibilities, new lawsuits, and new
    settlements to pay for defamation.

As I said, new points to attack.
    --
    of family right."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dimensional Traveler@21:1/5 to Paul S Person on Thu Jun 8 09:44:46 2023
    On 6/8/2023 8:53 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
    On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 09:03:09 -0700, Dimensional Traveler

On Monday, June 5, 2023 at 4:23:08?PM UTC+10, The Horny Goat wrote: >>>>>>> On Tue, 30 May 2023 02:20:15 -0000 (UTC), Mike Van Pelt

The trouble with ranked ballots is that you end up with a permanent >>>>>>>>> "minority government" in power as the last two Canadian elections >>>>>>>>> show.

things.

In a party 'convention' ranked ballots are also bad as they tend to >>>>>>> prevent concession speeches where the #2 candidate calls on all

This was a critical problem in a Canadian leadership contest where it >>>>>>> went 14 ballots with one candidate leading on the first 13 ballots and >>>>>>> overtaken on the final ballot with the result that he did NOT get the >>>>>>> opportunity to do 'the concession speech',

Did he not get the opportunity or did he not take the opportunity? >>>>>> It's a very different situation

then split the party by
    election.....

I /think/ the point is that the voting system leaves #2 believing he >>>>> could and should and would (with a different voting system) have been >>>>> #1 and so not interested in conceding.

could allege fraud.

The voting system wouldn't have increased or decreased that individual's >>>> efforts to toss the election results out.

that line of attack.

Except, of course, that there might be /new/ software vendors he and
    his fans could have claimed had jimmied elections in, say, Albania
    (just to pick a country at random).

New targets, new fund-raising possibilities, new lawsuits, and new settlements to pay for defamation.

As I said, new points to attack.

Like I said, the _DETAILS_ might of changed but the _SCALE_ of his
    effort would not have.

--
    dirty old man.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From William Hyde@21:1/5 to John Halpenny on Thu Jun 8 11:18:36 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 8:41:11 PM UTC-4, John Halpenny wrote:
    On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 10:21:46 -0700, Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

"minority government" in power as the last two Canadian elections >>>>>>> show.

things.

In a party 'convention' ranked ballots are also bad as they tend to >>>>> prevent concession speeches where the #2 candidate calls on all >>>>> members of the party to pull together to support the winner.

Did he not get the opportunity or did he not take the opportunity? >>>> It's a very different situation

then split the party by
    creating a splinter group which cost the party the next general >>>>> election.....

I /think/ the point is that the voting system leaves #2 believing he >>> could and should and would (with a different voting system) have been >>> #1 and so not interested in conceding.

Imagine what Trump could have said if the 2020 election used one of >>> these stylish new voting systems. How many more points at which he
    could allege fraud.

alleged that the programs used to compute the winner were corrupt and biased. With "one voter, one vote for one candidate", he did not have that line of attack.

--

I can't think of any candidate I have voted for in the past twenty years who would have won, or lost, due to ranked ballots. Most of the
    time it makes no difference.

But for about a decade the conservative vote in Canada was split between two right-wing parties. I would never vote for either
    of them, but it did give the Liberals a huge advantage. With ranked ballots they'd have had to try harder to get their victories.
    It may have been the fault of the conservative leadership that such a situation existed, but the average conservative voter
    was left without much representation in Parliament. Conservatives were all but shut out of Ontario, a province which
    elects a third of Parliament and has a large body of reliably conservative voters.

William Hyde

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Nicoll@21:1/5 to wthyde1953@gmail.com on Thu Jun 8 18:37:09 2023
    In article <11dcb29f-f183-4d3e-a65b-0127e32d315dn@googlegroups.com>,
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 8:41:11 PM UTC-4, John Halpenny wrote:
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 12:03:12 PM UTC-4, Dimensional
    Traveler wrote:

On Monday, June 5, 2023 at 4:23:08?PM UTC+10, The Horny Goat wrote: >> > >>>>> On Tue, 30 May 2023 02:20:15 -0000 (UTC), Mike Van Pelt

The trouble with ranked ballots is that you end up with a >permanent
    "minority government" in power as the last two Canadian elections >> > >>>>>>> show.

things.

In a party 'convention' ranked ballots are also bad as they tend to >> > >>>>> prevent concession speeches where the #2 candidate calls on all

Presumably there's some ceremony or, at the least, a press >conference where the winner is announced

This was a critical problem in a Canadian leadership contest
    where it
    went 14 ballots with one candidate leading on the first 13
    ballots and
    overtaken on the final ballot with the result that he did NOT
    get the

then split the party by
    election.....

If he did that then he presumably didn't want to give a
    concession speech calling on everybody to pull together behind the
    candidate

I /think/ the point is that the voting system leaves #2 believing he >> > >>> could and should and would (with a different voting system) have been >> > >>> #1 and so not interested in conceding.

could allege fraud.

The voting system wouldn't have increased or decreased that >individual's

that line of attack.

--
    Any system that doesn't elect "me" is unfair and corrupt. It must be >changed. Aren't those who are proposing the various ranked ballot
    systems saying the same thing?

I can't think of any candidate I have voted for in the past twenty
    years who would have won, or lost, due to ranked ballots. Most of the
    time it makes no difference.

But for about a decade the conservative vote in Canada was split
    between two right-wing parties. I would never vote for either
    of them, but it did give the Liberals a huge advantage. With ranked
    ballots they'd have had to try harder to get their victories.
    It may have been the fault of the conservative leadership that such a >situation existed, but the average conservative voter
    was left without much representation in Parliament. Conservatives
    were all but shut out of Ontario, a province which
    elects a third of Parliament and has a large body of reliably
    conservative voters.

Thanks to the Bloc popularity in Quebec making Quebec irrelevant at
    a federal level, Ontario had a disproportionate effect on who formed
    the government.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Horny Goat@21:1/5 to dtravel@sonic.net on Sun Jun 11 14:49:27 2023
    On Mon, 5 Jun 2023 16:06:53 -0700, Dimensional Traveler

The primary idea of a party convention is to choose a candidate who
    the delegates figure CAN WIN THE GENERAL ELECTION.

How is this all that different between Canada and the US?

Surely the idea is not to pick somebody ideological pure who has no
    hope in hell of "winning in November"?

I've voted for all kinds of candidates through the years that I
    thought were the best person for the job who enough of my fellow
    citizens disappointed me by preferring somebody else - probably so
    have most of you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dimensional Traveler@21:1/5 to The Horny Goat on Sun Jun 11 18:08:03 2023
    On 6/11/2023 2:49 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:

In a rational world, yes. But politics isn't always rational. For many
    it is about control and power over others and they don't care what the
    majority wants.

What is also happening (at least in the US) is that centrist voters
    aren't voting in the primaries. So only the extremists vote in the
    primaries and they vote for the extremist candidates. So the centrist candidates get "primaried" out and aren't on the ballot in the main
    election. Which drives more centrist voters away, rinse and repeat.

--
    dirty old man.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul S Person@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 12 08:39:00 2023
    On Sun, 11 Jun 2023 14:49:27 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
    wrote:

For a /political/ party, yes.

But for an /ideological/ party, no.

Indeed, choosing candidates based on their ideological purity is one
    way of recognizing an ideological pary.

I've voted for all kinds of candidates through the years that I
    thought were the best person for the job who enough of my fellow
    citizens disappointed me by preferring somebody else - probably so
    have most of you.
    --
    of family right."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to The Horny Goat on Tue Jun 13 22:47:23 2023
    On Sunday, June 11, 2023 at 3:49:36 PM UTC-6, The Horny Goat wrote:

Open primaries.

What we do in Canada is _illegal_ in the United States, they refer to
    it as "machine politics". So instead of sensible people who have been
    working for the party deciding who its candidate should be, in order to
    win the election - it's decided by anyone who walks into the polling
    place and declaring himself or herself a supporter of that party.

So parties do not pick their Presidential candidates rationally in the
    United States. Their most fervent supporters, instead, vote for their
    dreams and wishes and hopes.

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dorothy J Heydt@21:1/5 to jsavard@ecn.ab.ca on Wed Jun 14 14:44:20 2023
    In article <26239c09-abd7-4764-93bc-2ed5b9a83053n@googlegroups.com>,
    Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
    On Sunday, June 11, 2023 at 3:49:36 PM UTC-6, The Horny Goat wrote:

Open primaries.

What we do in Canada is _illegal_ in the United States, they refer to
    it as "machine politics". So instead of sensible people who have been
    working for the party deciding who its candidate should be, in order to
    win the election - it's decided by anyone who walks into the polling
    place and declaring himself or herself a supporter of that party.

So parties do not pick their Presidential candidates rationally in the
    United States. Their most fervent supporters, instead, vote for their
    dreams and wishes and hopes.

(Hal Heydt)
    That varies by state. Some states use primaries, which may be open
    or closed. Others use a caucus system (e.g. Iowa).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05