• Cry Macho 2

From william ahearn@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 23 17:14:53 2021
    Hey,

What struck me halfway through this film was that it would’ve been really good if it were made in the mid-1950s with Robert Mitchum, Katy Jurado, and some backlot, child star wannabe with dyed black hair and covered in Man Tan. The story is as old as
    the Hollywood Hills: A man in recovery – a severe back injury from his rodeo days – is hired by his former boss to go to Mexico City and retrieve his 13-year-old son who the boss hasn’t seen in years. The boy’s mother – who has renounced him –
    tries a very unsubtle way to seduce the man. The man finds the kid at a cockfight and tries to convince him to come back to his father. He finally does and in one of the lulls in this movie, a Latina cantina owner puts the blast on the man.

What follows is a nicely shot road movie that ends at the US / Mexico border where the father will be waiting. Along the way, there are thugs and attacks and one of them involves the rooster named “Macho.” What is distracting in all of this is the 90-
    year-old elephant in the room. One of Clint Eastwood’s characters once said, “A man’s got to know his limitations.”

He should have listened.

Directed by Clint Eastwood from a screenplay by Nick Schenk and N Richard Nash based on Nash’s novel. Cinematography by Ben Davis and music by Mark Mancina. Starring Clint Eastwood, Dwight Yoakam, and Eduardo Minett, among others.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From trotsky@21:1/5 to william ahearn on Fri Sep 24 08:27:21 2021
    On 9/23/21 7:14 PM, william ahearn wrote:
    Hey,

What struck me halfway through this film was that it would’ve been really good if it were made in the mid-1950s with Robert Mitchum, Katy Jurado, and some backlot, child star wannabe with dyed black hair and covered in Man Tan. The story is as old as
    the Hollywood Hills: A man in recovery – a severe back injury from his rodeo days – is hired by his former boss to go to Mexico City and retrieve his 13-year-old son who the boss hasn’t seen in years. The boy’s mother – who has renounced him –
    tries a very unsubtle way to seduce the man. The man finds the kid at a cockfight and tries to convince him to come back to his father. He finally does and in one of the lulls in this movie, a Latina cantina owner puts the blast on the man.

What follows is a nicely shot road movie that ends at the US / Mexico border where the father will be waiting. Along the way, there are thugs and attacks and one of them involves the rooster named “Macho.” What is distracting in all of this is the
    90-year-old elephant in the room. One of Clint Eastwood’s characters once said, “A man’s got to know his limitations.”

He should have listened.

Directed by Clint Eastwood from a screenplay by Nick Schenk and N Richard Nash based on Nash’s novel. Cinematography by Ben Davis and music by Mark Mancina. Starring Clint Eastwood, Dwight Yoakam, and Eduardo Minett, among others.

Hey, I guess *you* at least listened when I dared you to say something consequential. Beyond that, blaming Clint for what I feel is a somewhat
    weak adaptation of a novel isn't too smart. My hunch is Schenk wrote
    the original script which somebody--Clint or another involved in the production--found lacking and the author of the novel was brought in to
    punch it up. That's a minor criticism. The thing that reviewers seem
    to have missed is Clint is known for Dirty Harry and the Man with No
    Name, a couple of shoot 'em dead guys, and instead this is a character
    that can only be described as a really nice guy, and this is the
    sweetest, most family friendly movie I've seen from him. If this is his
    last film it's a heck of a way to go out. Probably not Oscar material,
    but pretty close.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From william ahearn@21:1/5 to gmsin...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 24 08:45:07 2021
    On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 9:27:25 AM UTC-4, gmsin...@gmail.com wrote:

Hey, I guess *you* at least listened when I dared you to say something consequential. Beyond that, blaming Clint for what I feel is a somewhat
    the original script which somebody--Clint or another involved in the production--found lacking and the author of the novel was brought in to
    but pretty close.

You're deluded. Nobody listens to homophobic, anonyshit trolls like you. Sometimes I post mainstream films that I've seen here after I post on FB. That's it. God, you're an asshole.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From trotsky@21:1/5 to william ahearn on Fri Sep 24 14:28:51 2021
    On 9/24/2021 10:45 AM, william ahearn wrote:
    On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 9:27:25 AM UTC-4, gmsin...@gmail.com wrote:

Hey, I guess *you* at least listened when I dared you to say something
    consequential. Beyond that, blaming Clint for what I feel is a somewhat
    the original script which somebody--Clint or another involved in the
    production--found lacking and the author of the novel was brought in to
    but pretty close.

You're deluded. Nobody listens to homophobic, anonyshit trolls like you. Sometimes I post mainstream films that I've seen here after I post on FB. That's it. God, you're an asshole.

Like all Usenet dipshits you are completely lacking in self awareness.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From william ahearn@21:1/5 to gmsin...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 24 15:00:48 2021
    On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 3:28:53 PM UTC-4, gmsin...@gmail.com wrote:

That BS was old and tired over two decades ago. You're empty. Nothing worse than a shriveled troll.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From trotsky@21:1/5 to william ahearn on Sat Sep 25 04:24:51 2021
    On 9/24/21 5:00 PM, william ahearn wrote:

That BS was old and tired over two decades ago. You're empty. Nothing worse than a shriveled troll.

I'm challenging you again: can you sum up your behavior in this little
    incident or not? If you go to the right doctor perhaps you can have you
    ball reattached. You must be pissed because the movie wasn't called
    "Cry Effeminate."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From william ahearn@21:1/5 to gmsin...@gmail.com on Sat Sep 25 07:39:22 2021
    On Saturday, September 25, 2021 at 5:24:53 AM UTC-4, gmsin...@gmail.com wrote:

I'm challenging you again: can you sum up your behavior in this little incident or not? If you go to the right doctor perhaps you can have you
    "Cry Effeminate."

There you go, obsessed with my balls again. Pity, Shriveled Troll.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From trotsky@21:1/5 to william ahearn on Sat Sep 25 12:30:38 2021
    On 9/25/21 9:39 AM, william ahearn wrote:
    On Saturday, September 25, 2021 at 5:24:53 AM UTC-4, gmsin...@gmail.com wrote:

I'm challenging you again: can you sum up your behavior in this little
    incident or not? If you go to the right doctor perhaps you can have you
    "Cry Effeminate."

There you go, obsessed with my balls again. Pity, Shriveled Troll.

Shriveled? How about your balls currently residing in a medicine jar
    some place?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05