• ASTEROID CITY

From Bill Anderson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 25 23:30:02 2023
    I should know better by now; I have no one to blame but myself. It’s just that I really liked The Grand Budapest Hotel so when I heard about this one
    I was intrigued enough to pay money to see it. Big mistake. It had
    everything I dislike in Wes Anderson productions I dislike: all the stilted dialogue and all the self-aware acting and all the overperfect sets in the service of a story with no point to make. The best part of the movie was
    when I fell asleep for about 20 minutes. You have been warned.

--
    Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From william ahearn@21:1/5 to Bill Anderson on Sun Jun 25 17:50:28 2023
    On Sunday, June 25, 2023 at 7:30:16 PM UTC-4, Bill Anderson wrote:
    I should know better by now; I have no one to blame but myself. It’s just that I really liked The Grand Budapest Hotel so when I heard about this one I was intrigued enough to pay money to see it. Big mistake. It had everything I dislike in Wes Anderson productions I dislike: all the stilted dialogue and all the self-aware acting and all the overperfect sets in the service of a story with no point to make. The best part of the movie was when I fell asleep for about 20 minutes. You have been warned.

I've been waiting for that to show up. My god, I can't stand Wes Anderson.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spiros Bousbouras@21:1/5 to Bill Anderson on Sat Jul 1 09:39:46 2023
    On Sun, 25 Jun 2023 23:30:02 +0000
    Bill Anderson <billanderson@my-deja.com> wrote:
    I should know better by now; I have no one to blame but myself. It’s just that I really liked The Grand Budapest Hotel so when I heard about this one
    I was intrigued enough to pay money to see it. Big mistake. It had
    everything I dislike in Wes Anderson productions I dislike: all the stilted dialogue and all the self-aware acting and all the overperfect sets in the service of a story with no point to make.

I didn't like the movie. I thought the acting was cold and kind of robotic , probably director's instructions. I liked the fairy tale like sets but that's the only thing I liked about the movie ; well , somewhat the country music
    too although that's not my thing in general. The black and white parts
    weren't even visually appealing. As for story , was there really a story ? A very basic one at most. I don't know what the director was trying to achieve with the whole set up where you have the playwright appearing as a character and the director of the playwright's play also being a character. If Anderson was trying to make a point with all that , it was lost on me.

Oh , and Scarlett Johansson only appears nude for a fraction of a second so
    you don't even get that minor consolation.

The best part of the movie was
    when I fell asleep for about 20 minutes. You have been warned.

I thought about leaving early myself but in the end I stayed for the whole duration.

--
    vlaho.ninja/prog

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From super70s@21:1/5 to Spiros Bousbouras on Sat Jul 1 22:27:34 2023
    On 2023-07-01 09:39:46 +0000, Spiros Bousbouras said:

I should know better by now; I have no one to blame but myself. It’s just >> that I really liked The Grand Budapest Hotel so when I heard about this one >> I was intrigued enough to pay money to see it. Big mistake. It had
    everything I dislike in Wes Anderson productions I dislike: all the stilted >> dialogue and all the self-aware acting and all the overperfect sets in the >> service of a story with no point to make.

I didn't like the movie. I thought the acting was cold and kind of robotic , probably director's instructions. I liked the fairy tale like sets but that's the only thing I liked about the movie ; well , somewhat the country music too although that's not my thing in general. The black and white parts weren't even visually appealing. As for story , was there really a story ? A very basic one at most. I don't know what the director was trying to achieve with the whole set up where you have the playwright appearing as a character and the director of the playwright's play also being a character. If Anderson was trying to make a point with all that , it was lost on me.

Oh , and Scarlett Johansson only appears nude for a fraction of a second so you don't even get that minor consolation.

All this time I thought she was a true blonde, lol.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kelown@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 4 08:30:57 2023

Hair coloring for the scalp and for the pussy are on different genes.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From artyw2@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to kelown on Tue Jul 4 14:54:35 2023
    On Tuesday, July 4, 2023 at 8:31:04 AM UTC-5, kelown wrote:
    Hair coloring for the scalp and for the pussy are on different genes.

I could ask my Genetics students to verify this, but I might get in trouble. I found a number of claims consistent with that theory, but I need to see some more evidence. Note that Scarlett's eyebrow hair matches her head hair here, but not her eyelid
    hair. https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/beauty/skincare/a44036819/scarlett-johansson-skin-interview/

Back when I was in college, there was a lovely redhead who had the nickname "The Burning Bush", but I don't know if that was verified.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spiros Bousbouras@21:1/5 to Bill Anderson on Fri Jul 14 09:46:50 2023
     The best part of the movie was when I fell asleep for about 20 minutes. You >have been warned.

It just occurred to me that falling asleep is in fact very much in the spirit of the movie which repeats several times the motto "You can't wake up unless you fall asleep". So you actually managed to get really deep into it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ed Stasiak@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 23 08:20:14 2023
    Spiros Bousbouras

As for story, was there really a story? A very basic one at most.

Yeah, the movie was quirky solely for the sake of being quirky but that's alright, every movie doesn't have to have a deep story, sometimes a flick
    can just be about the "art".

I enjoyed it, it's worth the watch.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spiros Bousbouras@21:1/5 to Ed Stasiak on Mon Jul 24 12:40:12 2023
    On Sun, 23 Jul 2023 08:20:14 -0700 (PDT)
    Ed Stasiak <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:
    Spiros Bousbouras

As for story, was there really a story? A very basic one at most.

Yeah, the movie was quirky solely for the sake of being quirky but that's alright, every movie doesn't have to have a deep story, sometimes a flick
    can just be about the "art".

A movie just about the art is fine with me. For example I love "Prospero's books" by Peter Greenaway. But for me there wasn't enough art in "Asteroid city". The colour parts were nice enough but when a black and white segment started , my heart sank.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05