• Oklahoma Dialogue Trivia

From spike.dennis@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 29 15:25:55 2018
    There is a little bit of truth in several of these responses.
    A shike-poke is the name used by old timer's for the green heron(we called them Missouri Cranes).

It translates literally "shit-bag" or "bag of shit". It was derived from the German scheisse(shit), and poke(bag). It comes from the practice of these large birds defecating as they took off to lighten the load.

My grandfather(born 1901) knew no other name for these birds. I didnt know the origin of the name until recently when I spoke of this term to a historian who informed me of the rest. Though I had heard Grampa talk about Shike-Pokes many times, I had no
    idea what one was.

Dennis Starks

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John W Kennedy@21:1/5 to spike.dennis@yahoo.com on Thu Mar 29 18:49:01 2018
    On 3/29/18 6:25 PM, spike.dennis@yahoo.com wrote:
    There is a little bit of truth in several of these responses.
    A shike-poke is the name used by old timer's for the green heron(we called them Missouri Cranes).

It translates literally "shit-bag" or "bag of shit". It was derived from the German scheisse(shit), and poke(bag). It comes from the practice of these large birds defecating as they took off to lighten the load.

My grandfather(born 1901) knew no other name for these birds. I didnt know the origin of the name until recently when I spoke of this term to a historian who informed me of the rest. Though I had heard Grampa talk about Shike-Pokes many times, I had no
    idea what one was.

You are responding to messages that were posted in the last century.

--
    John W. Kennedy
    "The blind rulers of Logres
    Nourished the land on a fallacy of rational virtue."
    -- Charles Williams. "Taliessin through Logres: Prelude"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)